Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

This was a good post, and thanks for the photos and story. This whole part stood out to me as a big difference between Mainland and Hong Kong. Thinking about the city's problems? Thinking about other people and their problems? Thinking about anything at all? Whaaaaaaaat? I give it another generation or two after all the Mainlanders have flooded HK (and the locals have run off to other countries) to make all those weird things go away.

Were you born in Wuhan and grew up in Hong Kong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

China produces world's largest soup bowl / skate park.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's called the "Eliminator". Why? Because there's a bottomless hole in the middle

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

China invents world's largest sound stage for their Mars landing.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Too bad they couldn't fix the giant gap in the middle of the floor then. Or at least bust out the blur tool in photoshop to cover it up.

It is already good enough, your nit-picking is very irresponsible.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Neurion posted:

China produces world's largest soup bowl / skate park.

Gonna have to pass on that soup.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Gonna have to pass on that soup.

Don't have to, it'll al go down that hole in the middle.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

good

I root for cars to hit bikes that go through reds or are driving the wrong direction and get disappointed when they don't hit them. gently caress those people. Hit them all day every day.

in idaho, bikes are allowed to treat stop signs as yield signs and red lights as stop signs.

they grow potatoes there.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

Italy was the worst driving I ever saw until Korea. Korea was then the worst until China. I have not gotten below China yet, though I suspect India may.

India is way safer for driving, IMO, and I have lived east, west, and north in the country. I don't know about the south, but parts I lived are a lot better at expecting stuff in the road because there is so much of it. Dogs, camels, cows, people, monkeys, carts, rickshaws, bikes, religious processions, etc. There's always something in the road that is not a car, bike, or truck. They can handle all of that. All of the dumb driving I see in China is still stuff I never once saw in India, such as "Oh, I missed my exit. Let me brake on the freeway and back up into traffic so I don't have to loop back around." I see idiotic and plain dumb driving here that constantly makes me wonder how there aren't more insane crashes every moment every place. It's like a country of 15 year old kids who got their driver's permits but didn't have any training and don't need the adult to sit with them when they go out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
rip all china goons

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/27/more-than-million-died-due-air-pollution-china-one-year

quote:

More than 1 million people died from dirty air in one year, according to World Health Organisation

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Shenzhen's PM2.5 was 172 in the afternoon yesterday, and 160 today. Beijing is only like 80-100 today, for comparison. It's supposed to be 180 something at night. HK is getting it worse though. The air is really stale because of the rains coming from the typhoon in a few days. It should blow away soon. Los Angeles is 35 and that makes me jealous.

Meanwhile, in Delhi today:

I have been to Faridabad, and I will never again go to Faridabad.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Price for Blood Donor Cards Surges on Beijing's Black Market

The price of blood donor cards is surging on the black market in Beijing as desperate families seek access to blood in the midst of a national blood shortage. Blood donors in Beijing receive more than some free cookies and a sense of altruism when they donate blood – they also receive special “donor cards” that grant donors and their family members priority access and reduced cost for donated blood and blood transfusions.

These cards incentivize blood donation, but for those who are unable to donate due to health issues or other limitations, cards are available on the black market – if you’re willing to pay. The price for one card typically ranges from RMB3000 to RMB10000.

A Beijing morning news reporter recently spent several hours near a Chaoyang blood donation center speaking with sellers and potential buyers of blood donor cards. One buyer, Wang Dong (not his real name), brought his four-year-old daughter to Beijing from their hometown in Shandong to seek medical treatment, only to find that it was impossible to get his daughter the blood she needed. So he turned to the black market. For a 15-minute wait and RMB1500 (demand was low that day, prices dropped accordingly), the father had a blood donor card that would get his daughter the care she needed.

Another man waiting to buy a donor card, Song Zuguang, had been told he was high enough on the blood donation wait list to receive blood, unlike Wang’s daughter, but Song did not have the money to pay for the transfusion. Without a blood donor card, receiving a blood transfusion comes with heavy fees attached – fees for transportation and storage of the blood, among other things. So even for those with access to blood, the cost can be prohibitive without a donor card.

The process for acquiring a black market card is simple enough – once a black marketeer has found a buyer, he sends one of his many associates in to donate blood. These associates donate as often as 15 times a month. (The Red Cross regulations advise donating no more than once every 60 days.) These associates use the buyer’s name and ID number, and are issued a donor card in the name of the buyer. The card is then turned over for an often-steep price. But for a desperate father like Wang Dong, no price is too high for the health of his child.

http://www.thatsmags.com/beijing/post/15577/price-for-blood-donor-cards-surges-on-beijing-s-black-market

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
lol they made his fake name wang dong

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

15 donations, if a donation size is 450 mL (which is pretty standard) then that's a lot of blood. How is it possible not to be in a coma after that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Boiled Water posted:

15 donations, if a donation size is 450 mL (which is pretty standard) then that's a lot of blood. How is it possible not to be in a coma after that?

You just gotta balance your Qi with some TCM.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Reminds me of that Always Sunny season 10 episode where they keep opening Frank for blood while he's sleeping and by the end of the episode he's white as a sheet and on a mobility scooter.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
SUB-DIVIDED FLATS, HONG KONG:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hong Kong's population is ~7,200,000 and, according to wiki, ~250,000 people live in flats of that type. An article from 2013 puts average rent at ~HK$3,800/mo., or, ~USD$500/mo.

quote:

Fully 45% of Hong Kong’s middle-class couples have abandoned the idea of having a child anytime soon, according to a new survey, with the city’s high cost of living turning them off parenthood.

According to research commissioned by Citibank, nearly half of married respondents said the statement “Because having a kid is too expensive, my spouse and I have decided against having one/having another” “quite” or “totally” described their situation. [...] The survey polled 1,000 adults in April aged 30-40 with monthly income between 20,000 and 50,000 Hong Kong dollars (US$2,580-US$6,450).

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013/08/12/hong-kongs-high-cost-of-living-deters-would-be-parents/

ALTERNATE ANGLE, HONG KONG:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Accretionist posted:

I have a hard time sympathizing with this level of HDR.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
a girl from outside changsha that i was...plunging kinda casually dating? in 2011 lived in one of those subdivided apartments in tianjin. it was the same building that my friend lived in with one roommate, except the girl from changsha lived in an apartment with 9 other girls, they were all dancers and all living together, sharing this apartment. it cost about 2,500 rmb/month, which is like 375 bucks a month at the time, so if you split that ten ways they were all paying like 38 bucks a month for rent to live in this dingy subdivided place. she and another girl shared a room that barely fit the two beds, you had to crawl on her roommates bed to get to her bed. she used to always come to over to my place but one night we crashed at hers and woke up in the middle of the night and i was totally out of it and her roommate was like half in our bed half in her bed. it was weird as all hell and i was like "really what am i doing with my life"

come to think of it i think that was the last time i ever saw her

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

The Great Autismo! posted:

a girl from outside changsha that i was...plunging kinda casually dating? in 2011

lived in an apartment with 9 other girls, they were all dancers and all living together

you had to crawl on her roommates bed to get to her bed

her roommate was like half in our bed half in her bed.

i was like "really what am i doing with my life"

I dunno sounds pretty awesome

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I would like to also hear more about this missed opportunity for a threesome.

Haier would be turning in his grave.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I don't understand why you didn't just bring her back to your place.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Boiled Water posted:

I have a hard time sympathizing with this level of HDR.

If someone had told me all but the second one were computer graphics I probably would have gone "yeah, pretty good".

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Blacktoll posted:

I don't understand why you didn't just bring her back to your place.

for real?

The Great Autismo! posted:

she used to always come to over to my place but one night we crashed at hers

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I stayed like 4 nights in a place like in that photo above where the kitchen and food were less than a meter away from the toilet because they were built into the same room. It was so loving disgusting, and also hilarious to think that this building was only like 20 years old and people then still thought building an apartment complex where you literally poo poo and eat in the same place is a good idea. "Why, yes, I do agree that I really enjoy this hepatitis that I acquired in my house. Thanks for asking." I hope whoever designed those blue prints gets pink eye for the rest of his life.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

ladron posted:

for real?

Oops! Not for real. That never happened. *Homer Simpsons back into the bushes.*

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Haier posted:

Why, yes, I do agree that I really enjoy this hepatitis that I acquired in my house. Thanks for asking.

don't think your hep came from the food mate

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

That's the only vector for hep actually.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

:eyepop:

notZaar posted:

That's the only vector for hep actually.

My heroin addict cousin is a lying poo poo eater.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Eating is the only goon activity that can transmit disease is what the point of my argument is.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

An now the century week of humiliation is over, and China.jpg returns to it's rightful place anong shitposters. :china:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hurray! Fireworks and mooncake for everyone!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Oh thank god, I thought they were going to gently caress this place up too

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
renegade refrigerator in renegade province

https://i.imgur.com/zcPr4ph

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

big time bisexual posted:

renegade refrigerator in renegade province

https://i.imgur.com/zcPr4ph

lmao the dog jumping up to watch :3:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Accretionist posted:

those looks like a post appolitic/dystopian slum. also that quality marill plush.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

Accretionist posted:

Driving culture gets weird. When I was in Naples, Italy, it was the worst driving I've ever seen. It was like if you so much as made eye-contact with another driver, it was a sign of weakness and you were getting cut-off or not let in. Like, my sister was stopped at a stop light once. This got her rear ended. The other driver said he kept thinking she was going to accelerate any second now right up until the crash. It's like bumper cars except every hit costs you money so you try to avoid but, fundamentally, it's still bumper cars logic. It's just weaving in and out and around all the time, nothing else.

At 14:17, both drivers were probably thinking, "I don't stop. They stop," right up until the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Mongolia has poo poo drivers because such a huge percent of the population in Ulaanbaatar grew up in the endless Steppes where you could drive your car for a hundred miles in any direction without seeing a living thing. Suddenly they're transported to a city of 1.5 million people that was only designed to hold 400,000 people and all of the streets are falling apart and there's no real stop signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Superstitious Chinese investors pay $88,888,888 for high-rise Sydney office block

quote:

iProsperity Group, an Australian-based advisory firm, has partnered with the China-based Bridge Capital, to buy the 333 Kent Street office tower for the symbolic price of $88,888,888 from Maville Bay Pty Ltd.

Eight is considered the luckiest number in Chinese culture. The main reason has to do with the pronunciation of the word for the number eight in China. It is pronounced "ba" and sounds like the word for prosperity which is pronounced "fa".

The new owners of 333 Kent Street will use the development approval to redevelop the property into a high-end hotel and residential building that will capitalise on the views across Darling Harbour. The distinctive heritage arch way facade will be retained in the redevelopment.

It is in the heart of Sydney's busy Western Corridor and will benefit from the completion of Barangaroo and the International Convention Centre (ICC).

The agents involved in the deal were Vince Kernahan, Gus Moors, Guillaume Volz, Raymond Tran and Tom O'Neill, of Colliers International.

Mr Kernahan said the sales campaign attracted nine offers and exceeded the owner's expectations on market interest.

"Interested parties were predominantly residential and hotel developers with two groups looking to "landbank" the building.

"What became evident throughout the campaign is that the rate per square metre of gross floor area (GFA) residential stabilised, hotel GFA rates increased substantially and commercial GFA albeit off a low base is on an upward trend, due in part to the market and councils' proposed LEP [local environment plan] changes," Mr Kernahan said.

Mr Moore said the deal comes as Sydney's hotel sector is arguably the best performing in the Asia Pacific region, given the strong trading fundamentals and benign supply pipeline, combined with the opening of the ICC and development of Barangaroo driving further tourism into the city.

"[The property at] 333 Kent Street is ideally placed to capitalise on these factors," Mr Moors said.

Can we please have that new foreign buyer tax Vancouver introduced? Pretty please?

• Locked thread