Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

As much as I like the imagery of lightsabers, it's kind of weird that part where a whole arena of Jedi just swing them nearby instead of using the force to drop hot rocks on all the robots. I feel like the force makes elegant hand weapons unnecessary once you can stop blaster bolts in midair. Lucas made his wizards all magical but they still mostly whack people with their walking sticks.

Not all Jedi are equal and the ones we spend the most time with are very powerful. I don't think we're supposed to assume that every Jedi that's capable of wielding a lightsaber would be able to stop blaster bolts in midair or throw giant boulders around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pakled posted:

They also replaced the original Emperor hologram in Empire Strikes Back with Ian McDiarmid

This is, like, the one change that's hard to argue with being a legit good thing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Electromax posted:

As much as I like the imagery of lightsabers, it's kind of weird that part where a whole arena of Jedi just swing them nearby instead of using the force to drop hot rocks on all the robots. I feel like the force makes elegant hand weapons unnecessary once you can stop blaster bolts in midair. Lucas made his wizards all magical but they still mostly whack people with their walking sticks.

There is much more evidence that Jedi are not all that powerful than there is evidence that they are superheroes. Luke vs. Jabba's goons is really an outlier.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Electromax posted:

I kinda like it. It's very Gandalf-like.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

thrawn527 posted:

This is, like, the one change that's hard to argue with being a legit good thing.

Yeah that does look better. But someone mentioned a script change - what is it?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I they had kept him more in shadow like the old version, though. McDiarmid's age plus the Episode 3 makeup gives him a pretty Lucasy neck.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah that does look better. But someone mentioned a script change - what is it?

Original version:

quote:

Darth Vader: [kneeling before Emperor Palpatine's hologram] What is thy bidding, my master?

Emperor Palpatine: There is a great disturbance in the Force.

Darth Vader: I have felt it.

Emperor Palpatine: We have a new enemy. Luke Skywalker.

Darth Vader: Yes, my master.

Emperor Palpatine: He could destroy us.

Darth Vader: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.

Emperor Palpatine: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.

Darth Vader: If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally.

Emperor Palpatine: [intrigued] Yes... He would be a great asset. Can it be done?

Darth Vader: He will join us or die, master.

New version:

quote:

Darth Vader: [kneeling before Emperor Palpatine's hologram] What is thy bidding, my master?

Emperor Palpatine: There is a great disturbance in the Force.

Darth Vader: I have felt it.

Emperor Palpatine: We have a new enemy. The young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.

Darth Vader: How is that possible?

Emperor Palpatine: Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us.

Darth Vader: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.

Emperor Palpatine: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.

Darth Vader: If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally.

Emperor Palpatine: [intrigued] Yes... He would be a great asset. Can it be done?

Darth Vader: He will join us or die, master.

It's a small change but it's just awful, clunky dialogue.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 26, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Wow, yeah. I liked it much better when it was just "The son of Skywalker," as it suggests that Luke's mysterious father is someone both these dudes have a history with - and then we realize the irony only at the end of the film.

With the prequels, and this altered dialogue reminding us of their existence, the "I am your father" line loses all plot-twistedness; we, the audience, originally find that out alongside Luke, but if we know ALL ALONG then the impact of that scene is vastly diminished.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Apollodorus posted:

Wow, yeah. I liked it much better when it was just "The son of Skywalker," as it suggests that Luke's mysterious father is someone both these dudes have a history with - and then we realize the irony only at the end of the film.

With the prequels, and this altered dialogue reminding us of their existence, the "I am your father" line loses all plot-twistedness; we, the audience, originally find that out alongside Luke, but if we know ALL ALONG then the impact of that scene is vastly diminished.

Well to new viewers, who will probably watch the movies in order from 1-6, there is no surprise. And even then, pop culture has ensured that most people will never feel that surprise.

Also it feels weird for the Emperor to just call out Luke Skywalker's full name. I think referring to him without his first name makes more sense.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

The impact of the scene is vastly altered, not diminished. Vader -- the Anakin you've been watching for 4.5 movies -- believed up until that moment that Padme and his unborn child were dead (because Palpatine had lied to him). The Emperor unwittingly sowed the seeds of his own destruction in that moment by telling him about Luke. Vader responds with disbelief and a little defensiveness ("he's just a boy", even though that boy just blew up a Death Star in the same conversation), and he immediately begins scheming to keep Luke alive.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

The impact of the scene is vastly altered, not diminished. Vader -- the Anakin you've been watching for 4.5 movies -- believed up until that moment that Padme and his unborn child were dead (because Palpatine had lied to him). The Emperor unwittingly sowed the seeds of his own destruction in that moment by telling him about Luke. Vader responds with disbelief and a little defensiveness ("he's just a boy", even though that boy just blew up a Death Star in the same conversation), and he immediately begins scheming to keep Luke alive.

It works really well with what's been established in the prequels, where Palpatine gains Anakin's trust by fooling him into believing that he can save Padme from death. That turned out to be bullshit, and now he's telling me that my son has been alive this entire time? And not only that, he wants me to track him down and kill him?

Palpatine was kind of a moron to think Vader would just eat all this poo poo without some major repercussions.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Vader is probably also feeling salty that he didn't sense it himself in the original movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really like how you could view the two trilogies in either order and it still works, and you're recontectualized things throughout. The only other series I can think of that does that is Metal Gear Solid. Which also deals with clones, lost arms, shocking father reveals, and themes of parents loving things over for the next generation.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

homullus posted:

Vader -- you've been watching for 4.51.5 movies

E: I was bus posting, meant to type 1.5 since it's halfway through the second movie.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 27, 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

I'm not sure if you're trying to say the prequels don't exist or that Anakin wasn't Vader until halfway through ROTS, but either way you got the number wrong.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Zoran posted:

I'm not sure if you're trying to say the prequels don't exist or that Anakin wasn't Vader until halfway through ROTS, but either way you got the number wrong.

ROTS + ANH + the scene we are discussing appearing halfway through ESB = 2.5, since you're struggling with the math.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

HotCanadianChick posted:

ROTS + ANH + the scene we are discussing appearing halfway through ESB = 2.5, since you're struggling with the math.

I stand by my count, but this issue is so stupid that I'm not going to try to split hairs over it. Mainly I was trying to figure out whether that post was supposed to be snarky or not.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pakled posted:

They also replaced the original Emperor hologram in Empire Strikes Back with Ian McDiarmid

Robot Style posted:

I they had kept him more in shadow like the old version, though. McDiarmid's age plus the Episode 3 makeup gives him a pretty Lucasy neck.

Yeah I think the screen comparison must be from a fanedit, because we get the bloated Ep. 3 Palpatine in the DVD release. I guess it makes sense though, it figures that he'd have been motivated to lose weight after his quadruple bypass surgery detailed in Shadows of the Empire.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

For me the worst part of the Hayden ROTJ swap was it was done without him even knowing. They took a costume fitting he did and super imposed his head on the shot. It looks really awkward and he was even shocked.

If Lucas really wanted to have a younger Anakin as a force ghost, making Christensen older via make up or something would have been better. At least to me.

The best thing would have been just to leave the shot alone.

Serf
May 5, 2011

When I was a kid, I had no idea who that ghost at the end of ROTJ was because Sebastian Shaw in that shot looks nothing like Sebastian Shaw with the makeup on. My dad had to explain to me that it was Vader, and even he didn't know when he first saw the movie in theaters.

And to kids these days, they are gonna identify Hayden Christensen as Anakin waaaay more easily than Shaw. The prequels + Clone Wars have made him the man under the helmet to the new generation.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Not that ghosts in a fictional property need rules, but Anakin's Haydenface at the end of ROTJ was what he looked like the last time Yoda and Obi-Wan saw him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The first time I saw ROTJ I had no trouble putting two and two together. Well that's my two cents see ya

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Stupid question. Does the EU/Legends have a story about the evacuation of Yavin IV? It seemed a little risky to do your medal ceremony right away; I'm sure the Emperor gets a text notification or something when his battle stations blow up, and that's not even counting Vader getting on the horn and letting him know. You've got to think the Imperial navy was on its way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Who else could it possibly be? For three movies Obi Wan and Yoda have been talking about Luke's father, then he dies heroically and a force ghost shows up alongside them wearing the same exact clothes they are. Its quite a mystery.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Stupid question. Does the EU/Legends have a story about the evacuation of Yavin IV? It seemed a little risky to do your medal ceremony right away; I'm sure the Emperor gets a text notification or something when his battle stations blow up, and that's not even counting Vader getting on the horn and letting him know. You've got to think the Imperial navy was on its way.

I know there was a fun round in one of the Rogue Squadron games where you get to play a TIE Fighter attacking the evacuating Rebels. But that's all that comes to mind.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

RBA Starblade posted:

The first time I saw ROTJ I had no trouble putting two and two together. Well that's my two cents see ya

Nor I, but then again I saw it at the advanced age of 7 or 8. I suppose the revision is aimed at the prequels' target age of 4-5.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Nor I, but then again I saw it at the advanced age of 7 or 8. I suppose the revision is aimed at the prequels' target age of 4-5.

The revision is aimed at all of posterity, which, aside from the children indoctrinated in whatever heretical schism the parental unit has dictated, will watch the movies in Episode order.

5 year olds aren't interested in the voting rights of corporations and the abdication of elected monarchs.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I remember when we first got Star Wars. I think I was 4 at the time and we were able to finally afford a VCR. My dad bought the Star Wars movies along with it, and those were all we had for a long time. We used to watch them in my parents bedroom (they got the VCR and the TV). My dad was always off trucking, and I'd wait all week for him to get back so we could watch one of them again. Those VHS boxes are all beat-up and the tapes are worn out because we watched them so much.

Star Wars is great :)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

homullus posted:

5 year olds aren'tno one is interested in the voting rights of corporations and the abdication of elected monarchs in loving Star Wars

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Serious question - is there anyone posting in this thread who actually saw The Phantom Menace first?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Why can't Star Wars talk about serious issues? I mean, the original film was Vietcong apologia.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zoran posted:

Why can't Star Wars talk about serious issues? I mean, the original film was Vietcong apologia.

Star Wars has always been about serious issues :ssh:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Serf posted:

Star Wars has always been about serious issues :ssh:

Depicted through likable well-acted characters delivering snappy, memorable dialogue - not Jar Jar Binks calling for a vote of emergency powers to the chancellor :barf:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

Serious question - is there anyone posting in this thread who actually saw The Phantom Menace first?

I think I did

Can't really remember though

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I believe that was in the original Marvel comic series. In Legends everyone bummed around Yavin for a while before the Empire came. Don't know about the new EU.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apollodorus posted:

I saw ESB in like, preschool but TPM was probably the first one I actually sat down and watched of my own volition.

I remember confusing Obi-Wan's ghost with the Emperor's hologram and I guess I thought that Obi-Wan came back from the grave to taunt Vader. It was a more interesting movie in that respect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

I saw ESB in like, preschool but TPM was probably the first one I actually sat down and watched of my own volition.

For people who are of a certain age, and I think the forum is mostly made up of them, major series like Star Wars or Alien or Friday the 13th etc. were kind of just absorbed through osmosis because they were on cable t.v. nonstop for our entire childhood. Someone asked me yesterday in the Alien thread which movie I'd seen first, and I can't even say because when I was 6 or 7 years old I didn't give a poo poo about whether I was watching Aliens or Alien3. I'd frequently pick up movies halfway through and watch without really having a handle on the plot. If it had a monster or spaceships or explosions I was going to watch it but that's about as discerning as I got.

After years of doing that I had "seen" all of these movies but probably never from beginning to end in one sitting.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The idea of a 6 year old enjoying or even having an interest in Alien 3 is very strange to me.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I would not have been able to handle Alien3 at age 6, for so many reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've always loved being scared by movies, and my parents weren't very vigilant about what I was watching. Maybe I was 8, not 6, who knows. Tough to remember those details.

• Locked thread