Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

carry on then posted:

I mentioned it recently but I'll clarify. Awful Browser used to be something pokeyman wrote the code for, but now it uses Safari View Controller which is basically you asking the OS to inject a Safari instance into your view. So absolutely everything you see once you tap the link and see the transition is Apple-created code.
Even all the buttons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

david_a posted:

Even all the buttons?

Everything. All we have is a delegate that handles getting rid of it when you tap the done button, but even that's defined by Apple, we just fill in the blanks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
We can change the Awful Browser top bar background colour now in iOS 10!

Probably won't fix the "back to" status bar button though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm trying to go to the Stupid Music poo poo thread in gbs through my bookmarks,but I'm getting an error that says I need archives but I already do have archives.

Up to date iPhone 6 using the beta

Edit: oh I see this was already posted, my bad.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 21, 2016

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yep it's a poorly reported error. Try hitting the forums in Safari and see if you have a cloudflare page or something in your way.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

All of GBS has been made admin-only apparently.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Diabolik900 posted:

I was about to update that it's disappeared. First I noticed that a bunch of bookmarked threads now say they require archives access then I realised that they were all GBS threads then I realised GBS is gone from the forums list.

There's no way to specify the error more clearly is there? Does the app just assume if it can't access something it must be an archives issue?

It's not a big deal, I can't imagine this type of issue would come up much but I was a bit concerned there was something wrong with the app. I had to uninstall and reinstall to actually see that GBS was gone, before that it showed in the forums list but gave the same archives error.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Diabolik900 posted:

Good

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That Archives Required error is popping up in a couple threads for me, I have Archives.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That Archives Required error is popping up in a couple threads for me, I have Archives.

Are they threads in GBS in your bookmark list?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Your links to these threads aren't showing up either, maybe you should reformat your phone because there is something very seriously wrong with it

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bum the Sad posted:

Are they threads in GBS in your bookmark list?

Yes.

anthonypants posted:

Your links to these threads aren't showing up either, maybe you should reformat your phone because there is something very seriously wrong with it

I guess so, huh?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You realize that GBS was deleted right, hence those error messages

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

GBS has been taken down for now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

:siren: Whoever's got the current Awful app icon source files :siren: I need a favour: more sizes!

First up, the main app needs:

• 20×20pt, @1x and @2x and @3x (i.e. one at 20×20px, another at 40×40px, another at 60×60px) (this is pretty low priority, it's for notifications which we don't actually use (yet) but the gap in the icon set is staring at me)

And the incoming sticker pack needs:

• 60×45pt, @2x and @3x
• 67×50pt, @2x
• 74×55pt, @2x
• 27×20pt, @2x and @3x
• 32×24pt, @2x and @3x
• 1024×768pt, @1x

iOS handles rounding all the rects, we just need to fill the space we're given and let iOS do its thing.

I'm probably completely over-specifying this, no offence intended!

The sticker pack icon is a 4:3 ratio. My thinking is the app icon can be repurposed without too much effort (?), maybe mucking with the gradient background and keeping the rating bars centred. I'm also 100% on board with something completely different for the sticker pack! I just thought this would be the quickest to execute on. Happy to change it later too if a brilliant idea arrives.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

:siren: Whoever's got the current Awful app icon source files :siren: I need a favour: more sizes!

• 20×20pt, @1x and @2x and @3x (i.e. one at 20×20px, another at 40×40px, another at 60×60px) (this is pretty low priority, it's for notifications which we don't actually use (yet) but the gap in the icon set is staring at me)

• 60×45pt, @2x and @3x
• 67×50pt, @2x
• 74×55pt, @2x
• 27×20pt, @2x and @3x
• 32×24pt, @2x and @3x
• 1024×768pt, @1x

iOS handles rounding all the rects, we just need to fill the space we're given and let iOS do its thing.

The sticker pack icon is a 4:3 ratio. My thinking is the app icon can be repurposed without too much effort (?), maybe mucking with the gradient background and keeping the rating bars centred. I'm also 100% on board with something completely different for the sticker pack! I just thought this would be the quickest to execute on. Happy to change it later too if a brilliant idea arrives.

I take it you're taking over the sticker pack? How did you get around the extractor refusing to compile?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

I take it you're taking over the sticker pack? How did you get around the extractor refusing to compile?

Banged on it this evening, results are on master branch. I had to add a couple pods to Smilie Extractor to get it running, I think it was relying on some pre-1.0 cocoapods behaviour that happened to just work until it didn't. Then looked at how a sticker pack is laid out, taught the Extractor how to make that, then fiddled with imagemagick until I got a resize and lil padding figured out. The simulator was completely nonfunctional when trying to load the sticker pack, but it works ok on device.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

There's no way to specify the error more clearly is there? Does the app just assume if it can't access something it must be an archives issue?

There is a way, it just needs doing. Awful does know about the "database unavailable" error page but otherwise just assumes it's archives unavailable, you got it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

Banged on it this evening, results are on master branch. I had to add a couple pods to Smilie Extractor to get it running, I think it was relying on some pre-1.0 cocoapods behaviour that happened to just work until it didn't. Then looked at how a sticker pack is laid out, taught the Extractor how to make that, then fiddled with imagemagick until I got a resize and lil padding figured out. The simulator was completely nonfunctional when trying to load the sticker pack, but it works ok on device.

It takes me a week and you bang it out in half an hour. Depressing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Well I'm mostly responsible for it being the teetering shitshow that it is, so it stands to reason that I can navigate around it with some efficiency.

edit: also more like four hours. Commit timestamps lie very easily!

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 23, 2016

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

• 60×45pt, @2x and @3x
• 67×50pt, @2x
• 74×55pt, @2x
• 27×20pt, @2x and @3x
• 32×24pt, @2x and @3x
• 1024×768pt, @1x

Hey pokey, I made the app icon and can probably do this over the weekend. I brought it up a while back but would it be worth refining the main app icon a bit while I'm at it or is that opening a can of worms (it obviously is.) I was thinking dialing back the gradient and making the gold bar shape a bit less blocky.

e: Like this:

http://imgur.com/a/vNNZR

(how the hell do we do imgur links here now?)

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 23, 2016

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Would be much appreciated, thanks!

Not sold on the redone icon. Looks a little too smooth for these forums.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
can we have word filtering? e.g. cloud to butt

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Preview of coming attractions

Image people (spanky?): I'd like to put the same sun icons as the brightness slider in control center on the sides of the slider, but couldn't find them in a good size anywhere. Got them handy?

e: oh whoops ignore the different color theme, just a leftover from something we were testing awhile back.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 24, 2016

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

Preview of coming attractions

Image people (spanky?): I'd like to put the same sun icons as the brightness slider in control center on the sides of the slider, but couldn't find them in a good size anywhere. Got them handy?

e: oh whoops ignore the different color theme, just a leftover from something we were testing awhile back.

drat I like that blue.

Here are the brightness icons.

Working on the iMessage icons now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

spanky the dolphin posted:

drat I like that blue.

Here are the brightness icons.

Working on the iMessage icons now.

So do I, I perpetually keep the changes in my local workspace :ssh:

Thanks!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

That blue does look pretty slick

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

• 60×45pt, @2x and @3x
• 67×50pt, @2x
• 74×55pt, @2x
• 27×20pt, @2x and @3x
• 32×24pt, @2x and @3x
• 1024×768pt, @1x

Here you go:

iMessage icons

Notification icons

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Thanks for the sticker pack. i don't text any goons, but I'm going to send ejaculating floppy penises to all my friends whenever I have the chance.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I have an issue with how the app embeds tweets. The USPol thread contains many posts that are ill-advised tweets that later get taken down. See, for example, page 568 of this month's thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788694&perpage=40&pagenumber=568.

Deleted tweets don't embed properly (duh), but they also break the embedding of undeleted tweets on the same page. The text of the tweets loads, but the final product isn't converted into a tweet-looking box, nor are any images/videos properly loaded.

Edit: now with img!

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 25, 2016

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Wait we're going to get SA smilies in imessage? :shittypop:

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

various cheeses posted:

That would amazing

I know you can change the byob style sheet browsing on pc, but is that possible in the app?

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
Stickers working okay so far but some of the smaller smileys are pretty difficult to grab onto, because you don't know you've grabbed onto them since they are under your meaty goonthumb. I assume this is an iOS limitation and not something you can fiddle with?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Man I went to go look at the todo list to see if the issue I was having was already reported and that's a pretty big list

Anyways, right now the issue I'm having is that after loading a few extra pages in a forum, sometimes Awful will attempt to load that many pages again on subsequent visits to the forum. Oftentimes the app will freeze while it tries loading everything, but still buffer any touch events you might be giving it so it loads everything simultaneously. Doing a pull to refresh will sometimes collapse it back down to one page temporarily, and logging out and back in resets the page counter. iphone se 3.17 but it happened to my old 5s as well

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 26, 2016

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
Also is there a way to put a search bar on those stickies? Or another way to scroll through them quickly? How am I supposed to find the one I want quickly??
:negative:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

We'd have to write our own Messages extension in order to have that functionality, which will take more time. I just don't think Apple foresaw anyone wanting to create a pack with over 850 stickers!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

various cheeses posted:

You can already go to keyboards and add the SA keyboard which lets you use them in any app, technically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
And here I was thinking I was truly living before today. I had no idea.

Thanks!

• Locked thread