Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What Would Werdna Do? Arch Magus, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The way I see it, we can pile magic on top of a sword, or we can pile magic on top of more magic.

The choice is clear.

Arch-Magus! Thunder rolls or something!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hybrid classes for life, Knight Magus go.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Multi classing is always a mistake. Stick to the super specialization and become an Arch Magus.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
It's not called Paper Swordguy. Arch Magus.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

When in doubt, use fire. If that doesn't work, use fire on your sword and stick it in their facehole Knight Magus

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
We've got some pretty overpowered swords sitting around, so getting more use out of them seems like the smart move. Knight Magus.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Arch Magus for the itty bitty living space phenomenal cosmic powers!

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Is it kosher to inform what each upgrade does?

I did arch-magus and I can tell you there are a couple of nice spells on that path. There's a full-party frost attack (complete with agility debuff and DoT) and one that lets us muscle in on Vlad's turf by draining HP and energy from a single target.

I never played with knight-magus, but I recall the description saying that you could use better swords and heavier armor.

Since I've already seen arch-magus I'll vote for knight-magus. Besides, our sorcerer doesn't seem smart enough to unlock the mystical secrets of the universe. Hitting things with other things seems more like his speed.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 27, 2016

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Arch-Magus
Pour more magic on the magic pile.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

No Knight like Knight Magus!

Seriously, brick shithouse mages are always great.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GilliamYaeger posted:

So the Knight Magus probably uses swords. You know who else uses swords? Vlad.

You know what would really suck for Vlad? His boss jacking his awesome sword, the one thing that's gone right for him since he got here.

Hard to argue with this logic for Knight Magus

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I will say, when playing, Knight Magus is a little more obnoxious to actually play than Arch Magus but they're both good and powerful choices.

Go Arch Magus just because we already have a ton of people who are good at hitting things with a stick and not a lot of Magical might tbh.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014
Knight Magus is just that, a knight. Attacking the one guy with a big slab of metal. Kinda like what Vladd does.

What we don't have is what Arch Magus brings. Which is raw spell power murdering all the things.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm going to vote for Arch Magus because if you can't trust the Sorcerer with ultimate magical power, who can you trust?

It may be best not to answer that, but I'm not changing my vote.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Arch Magus.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
Another vote for Arch Magus.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Knight Magus because big numbers are fun.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DGM_2 posted:

I did arch-magus and I can tell you there are a couple of nice spells on that path. There's a full-party frost attack (complete with agility debuff and DoT) and one that lets us muscle in on Vlad's turf by draining HP and energy from a single target.

I never played with knight-magus, but I recall the description saying that you could use better swords and heavier armor.

Since I've already seen arch-magus I'll vote for knight-magus. Besides, our sorcerer doesn't seem smart enough to unlock the mystical secrets of the universe. Hitting things with other things seems more like his speed.

I meant that as in could I say generally what each does. I've played through with both upgrades and I definitely prefer the Knight Magus, although both are really good so there's no wrong choice.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Arch Magus! Can't go wrong with being a sorcerer supreme!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

DGM_2 posted:

You can also equip a shield while wielding a greatsword due to poor coding! :eng101:

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Arch Magus!

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Arch-Magus for MOAR POWAH!!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SSNeoman posted:

You can also equip a shield while wielding a greatsword due to poor coding! :eng101:

What, you've never heard of dual-wielding bucklers to go with your dual-wielded katanas? :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mad Fnorder posted:

It's not called Paper Swordguy. Arch Magus.

This is a valid argument. Knight Maguses are one of those pussy hero jobs. A real villain has enough magic that he doesn't need armor.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
You've got plenty of physical damage from Frank and Vlad and puppetman. Go Arch Magus.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Arch Magus: the knight can be better with a lucky sword/armor find, but the mage is generally better against bosses, who are the real threat.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

Arch Magus: the knight can be better with a lucky sword/armor find, but the mage is generally better against bosses, who are the real threat.

wat

The Knight can one shot bosses dude. And he actually has defense letting him take a hit (spoilers the Knight Magus will have more def than the Arch Magus)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I definitely got a lot more mileage out of the Knight for bosses (unsurprisingly, since Arch Magus is the magic crowd control class.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Okay, this is turning into a rout, so I'm calling it for Arch Magus. Sorry, sword fans, but there's a mercy rule with this sort of thing. We'll be going down that path once I get around to the next update, which will... Uh... Eventually. I'm going to Hawaii next week so don't expect a lot of posting activity.

Also autocorrect tried to turn Arch Magus into Arzy Mafia. So there's that.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Also autocorrect tried to turn Arch Magus into Arzy Mafia. So there's that.

Please incorporate Sorcerer thinking he's joining the Mafia into the update thx

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
While I'm sure there are plenty of ways to cheese the knight, stacking damage-over-time on bosses is very reliable, and is honestly just more interesting besides, since you're less likely to end up in a pure damage race :shrug:. The real problem with the knight is that your pretty much committed *just* to buffing the mage's strength and then hacking away if you don't want the new abilities to go to waste, and that *really* saps the fun out of being a caster; all the more so when your party can do the same thing just as well anyway.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Crap missed the vote.

Well, I guess going down the path of incompetence WOULD be something our sorcerer would do :doh:

thetruegentleman posted:

While I'm sure there are plenty of ways to cheese the knight, stacking damage-over-time on bosses is very reliable, and is honestly just more interesting besides, since you're less likely to end up in a pure damage race :shrug:. The real problem with the knight is that your pretty much committed *just* to buffing the mage's strength and then hacking away if you don't want the new abilities to go to waste, and that *really* saps the fun out of being a caster; all the more so when your party can do the same thing just as well anyway.

SEVERELY disagree. Only time you really need to buff is during hard single target fights (bosses, mini-bosses), otherwise the KM's abilities do just fine.

Plus the KM still benefits from magic upgrades and has unique DoT attacks too if you really want to go the gradual grinder route.

The ONLY thing that the AM has over the KM is anti-group magic, and that really doesn't help as much as you might think (primarily because of how magic damage works).

Well, not the only thing. AM does have one attack that I really like, but it's more of a convenience thing than anything. Nothing that a few extra turns/some crowd control or items can't bring to the table.

Also, re-reading your comment confused me on one point, what do you mean you'd not use the new abilities? All of the KM's abilities benefit from Strength AND magic so buff or no, you'd have no point not to use them.

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 27, 2016

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
lets be a doublewizard

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mauman posted:

Well, not the only thing. AM does have one attack that I really like, but it's more of a convenience thing than anything. Nothing that a few extra turns/some crowd control or items can't bring to the table.

Imo the primary benefit of the AM is the AOEs, not because of the direct damage they do, but because they also apply different DOTs. The Sorcerer by himself can end up sticking 4+ DOTs on an enemy, which is really nice for bosses.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Imo the primary benefit of the AM is the AOEs, not because of the direct damage they do, but because they also apply different DOTs.

Really? The frost AoE is the only one I remember doing DoT. I recall trying the fire AoE and giving up on it because it never did anything but straight damage.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DGM_2 posted:

Really? The frost AoE is the only one I remember doing DoT. I recall trying the fire AoE and giving up on it because it never did anything but straight damage.

That's because all of the Sorc's fire DoT skills are based on strength rather than magic :doh:

Which means scorch has a better success rate on the KM.

DoT's aren't as good on the higher difficulties in comparison to physical (elemental) burst damage.

Also, dots of the same type don't stack. So if you have a troll (bleed), imp (arcane), Dryad (frost, poison), or witch (fire, poison) you're being redundant.

Best AoE attackers in my opinion are the minotaur and puppet tricked out with ultra high strength. Definitely NOT the Arch Magus. They also bring really good single target attacks to the table as well, unlike the Arch Magus. Dryad is an honorable mention for AoE attacking since her frost DoT is so good I made it an exception to my "magic sucks" rule.

On the other hand, the Knight Magus is (as far as I can tell) the best single target attacker in the game. Just throw a firebomb or two is you REALLY want simulate being an Arch Magus. Which reminds me, I dislike it when a class' big selling point (AoE magical damage) can be simulated with a freaking item. No I'm not counting DoTs cuz like I said, the KM has strong DoTs as well.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish they had boosted the Arch Magus a bit, since I felt severely gimped on my 1980's AM playthrough, or perhaps I'm just annoyed at how lopsided this game is towards physical attacking. :saddowns:

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 28, 2016

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

mauman posted:

That's because all of the Sorc's fire DoT skills are based on strength rather than magic :doh:

:what:

Well, that would have been good to know. I could easily have pumped STR!

quote:

Also, dots of the same type don't stack.

I figured that much out for myself, but being able to keep two or three different types of DoT going on the entire enemy party with just my sorcerer would have gone a long way.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

In addition, KM can actually take a hit due to being able to equip medium armor. You can also use Ghost to decrease a target's arcane resistance, increase attack, use Power of Magus and then slam them with KM's murder skill. You can one-shot bosses this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DGM_2 posted:

:what:

Well, that would have been good to know. I could easily have pumped STR!

I figured that much out for myself, but being able to keep two or three different types of DoT going on the entire enemy party with just my sorcerer would have gone a long way.

Just re-read your comment.

I was just talking about scorch.

SSNeoman posted:

In addition, KM can actually take a hit due to being able to equip medium armor. You can also use Ghost to decrease a target's arcane resistance, increase attack, use Power of Magus and then slam them with KM's murder skill. You can one-shot bosses this way.

yup, especially when the special buff you get crits and you spontaneously get several hundred strength.

boss fight, 2nd round, 1980's

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 28, 2016

• Locked thread