Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

RC Cola posted:

Tell me how I can best beat the nameless king and his rear end in a top hat dragon please. I can't enjoy dark souls 2 properly knowing I haven't beaten this dickhead

Get the dragonslayer greatshield and spam pyromancy at the king himself. The dragon you can whittle down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RC Cola posted:

Tell me how I can best beat the nameless king and his rear end in a top hat dragon please. I can't enjoy dark souls 2 properly knowing I haven't beaten this dickhead

Avoid locking on to him unless he's doing his circle strafing run. Attempt to stay to the left and back from King of Storms so that you're just a little past the range of the Nameless King's swipes to try and trigger the flame breath attack (as it's the easiest to dodge and to deal damage to the head from). When he flies up to circle strafe, just run in a circle, dodge roll the Lightning Spear, and then dodge roll his swoop.

For phase 2, just get a beefy lightning resist shield like the Lothric Knight Shield or the Dragonslayer's Shield. Hold it up to defend against most of his attacks, dodge roll any lightning slams, and only go for attacks after he finishes his two or three hit combo.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Maleh-Vor posted:

Dragons are always very hard to look at. Having huge things flying around high above you is tricky.

Also, I'm incredibly terrible at pvp in DS3. My melee+offensive faith build wasn't going great, so I respecced to get points out of Vigor and into Faith, so I could use Lightning stake. I've been trying to use a Solaire's Talisman as well as a Cleric's Chime and god drat, is 240 as high as a melee critical Lightning Stake supposed to go with Morne's Ring? My +5 Drang Hammers hit harder that. Not to mention I haven't landed a single Lightning Spear, but they're pretty good for baiting people into Stake. Also I thought Unfaltering Prayer was a buff, not just a per-use thing, so that's a bit of a downer. Having to spend a full FP bar to kill a single random mob in Boreal Valley kind of sucks.

I wouldn't waste FP on offensive miracles unless you're going for at least 50 faith. Like sorcery it can own PVE if you invest in it (and by invest I mean put most of your stat gains and all of your ring slots into it), also like sorcery it's not good for PVP despite how many META CASTER victory montages you've seen on youtube. Those victories are still super fun and good tho, so keep at it anyway and you can catch people off guard who aren't used to seeing faith builds.

Your real damage will always come from buffing your Drang Hammers with Lightning Blade (my faith build uses these, too). Unfaltering Prayer technically is a buff, albeit a very short one like Perseverance, so use it the same way and you should be fine. I'd recommend getting Yorshka's Chime for casting since it has a huge spell buff and keep the Sunlight Talisman for poise.

Also don't forget the dark miracles. Doryhs' Gnawing owns bones in PVE, and barely suffers from a lack of int investment.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lite_sleepr posted:

Wow these are good fun.

They are. Pruld gets it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYw0Uf2tv2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJDimvPW1Y

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Deified Data posted:

I wouldn't waste FP on offensive miracles unless you're going for at least 50 faith. Like sorcery it can own PVE if you invest in it (and by invest I mean put most of your stat gains and all of your ring slots into it), also like sorcery it's not good for PVP despite how many META CASTER victory montages you've seen on youtube. Those victories are still super fun and good tho, so keep at it anyway and you can catch people off guard who aren't used to seeing faith builds.

Your real damage will always come from buffing your Drang Hammers with Lightning Blade (my faith build uses these, too). Unfaltering Prayer technically is a buff, albeit a very short one like Perseverance, so use it the same way and you should be fine. I'd recommend getting Yorshka's Chime for casting since it has a huge spell buff and keep the Sunlight Talisman for poise.

Also don't forget the dark miracles. Doryhs' Gnawing owns bones in PVE, and barely suffers from a lack of int investment.

Yeah, since I just got to Boreal Valley I'm barely getting close to getting more stuff. I currently have 35 Faith, which I felt was a pretty huge investment by level 50. Gnaw was pretty effective against a lot of things so I was looking forward to it. It would deal 250 with an extra 250 when bleed procced at 22 faith, so it should be a bit stronger now. It seems Boreal Valley is where Faith really takes off in terms of having spells to use, kind of like how Pyromancy takes off at Old Demon King and the Smoldering Lake. I'm using Deep Ring, Morne's Ring and Sage Ring.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 27, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah, getting my faith guy to Irithyll Dungeon for Lightning Blade was a huge pain, but after that the progress is pretty steady

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, getting my faith guy to Irithyll Dungeon for Lightning Blade was a huge pain, but after that the progress is pretty steady

It's also pretty funny that pyromancers are online at this point, so when invading, I get one-shot by Chaos Bed Vestige since I had to go so deep into Faith, I couldn't actually put any points into Vitality.

otown liquiddreams
Sep 27, 2016

by zen death robot
GO AWAY DARE.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 27, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Prepare to die

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah but what do you think about dark souls dare

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That's terrible technique, if you're not using a shield you want to two-hand it to do double damage

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Beware of long thing, therefore use hand

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Guillermus posted:

Beware of long thing, therefore use hand

Imminent Sticky white stuff...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Guillermus posted:

People like Yhorm not only because of Siegward's quest but because it's a gimmick bossfight that isn't painful like Bed of Chaos. Add kick rear end music, and rewarding as sunbro and you get a fight that is hard to dislike.

Actually its a really easy fight to dislike because its a dumb gimmick copy+pasted from Demon's Souls for no reason.

The loving sword doesn't even work against other giants.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Copying things from Demons Souls for nostalgia is good though, I like that aspect of this game.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
It should work against other giants though. Yhorm has a weird face if you look it up. Not really what you'd expect, so maybe that's why all giants wear face-masks. Also, why do giants in Dark Souls II have holes for faces?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maleh-Vor posted:

It should work against other giants though. Yhorm has a weird face if you look it up. Not really what you'd expect, so maybe that's why all giants wear face-masks. Also, why do giants in Dark Souls II have holes for faces?

I thought the Anor Londo type of giants weren't really people, just dumb robots that the gods created to do all the handiwork? So they wouldn't have faces, no need for them. I got the impression that Yhorm was the offspring of Wolnir ("descendant of an ancient conqueror"), not sure what their relation to the Anor Londo Giants exactly is, but they're the only giants without masks that I can think off. The fact that they're both capable enough to be Lords of Cinder and Men to me speaks for the idea that they're of a wholly different sort from the "I help anytime" kind of intelligence that Anor Londo Giants exhibit.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The reason why Dark Souls 2 giants are different is because they are. They're from a different place and have a society and whatnot. They're just really big so they're still just called "giants".

The design of Yhorm having a face-obscuring coif is just a visual homage to them I guess, he's one of the DS1 style Giants.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Friendly Humour posted:

I thought the Anor Londo type of giants weren't really people, just dumb robots that the gods created to do all the handiwork? So they wouldn't have faces, no need for them. I got the impression that Yhorm was the offspring of Wolnir ("descendant of an ancient conqueror"), not sure what their relation to the Anor Londo Giants exactly is, but they're the only giants without masks that I can think off. The fact that they're both capable enough to be Lords of Cinder and Men to me speaks for the idea that they're of a wholly different sort from the "I help anytime" kind of intelligence that Anor Londo Giants exhibit.
HELLO

Hawkeye Gough is a bit of a contradiction to this theory. He's supposed to be the same as those giants, yet he's a lot more intelligent. He also had a face under his helmet, or at least eyes, since some racist kids "made him blind" by packing wax into his helmet:

Helm of Hawkeye Gough,
one of Gwyn's Four Knights.
Received as a decoration of knightly honor.

A helm crafted especially for the honorable Hawkeye Gough,
only the eye holes were packed with tree resin
by those who dismissed Gough as a brutish giant.

VERY GOOD

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I used to invade a lot in Oolacile. I'd wear Havel's gloves, Thorns/Oolacile Hollow helm, Hollow Soldier waistcloth and a Man-Serpent Greatsword. I'd constantly spam HELP ME while chasing or fleeing, and I'M SORRY whenever I backstabbed or killed someone. I'd also throw a bunch of dung pies when people rolled away a bit. It's always fun to make Dark Souls more Dark Souls for people.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Invasion used to be so fun.

It's gotten to the point where I'll Dried Finger in an area and pretend to be working through it so invaders can think they got lucky and ran into the one host in a million who doesn't summon, run, or heal. Wish the Finger enabled invasions in areas you already beat.

BTW why is Road of Sacrifices open to invasion after you beat Crystal Sage? Is it Abyss Watchers that close it off?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Wait you can't be invaded in areas you beat?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Not anymore, sadly. Not sure if this applies to auto-invade covenants but I've never been invaded by one after I beat a boss.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Friendly Humour posted:

I think wolnir is not a real giant, you just fight him super small.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

argondamn posted:

I think wolnir is not a real giant, you just fight him super small.

Those are some tiny skeletons he's summoning then.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Maleh-Vor posted:

Those are some tiny skeletons he's summoning then.

It's a fake acid trip fight he's just messing with you.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lite_sleepr posted:

Wait you can't be invaded in areas you beat?

Nope, and whenever you do it's 1vs3. Invading sucks and I keep doing it over and over again. It's always funny to see them emoting "point down" after I've killed a phantom and all others've gone through all their estus. Hot poo poo, huh? Lmao.

Maleh-Vor posted:

HELLO

Hawkeye Gough is a bit of a contradiction to this theory. He's supposed to be the same as those giants, yet he's a lot more intelligent. He also had a face under his helmet, or at least eyes, since some racist kids "made him blind" by packing wax into his helmet:

Helm of Hawkeye Gough,
one of Gwyn's Four Knights.
Received as a decoration of knightly honor.

A helm crafted especially for the honorable Hawkeye Gough,
only the eye holes were packed with tree resin
by those who dismissed Gough as a brutish giant.

VERY GOOD

Well, technically you don't need a face to have eyes. Gough definately has the voice of a giant, but I'm still thinking Wolnir and Yhorm are something of a different kind from the rest of giants, same as Gough. Like I said, their relation to the giants of Anor Londo is... Well, unsure. Anor Londo giants look very different, with that cracked skin and bolts and spikes hammered into their flesh. They have a definate "crafted" feel to their form imo. And the Blacksmith and Bowman giants don't exactly sound terribly intelligent, even if they are adorable and endearing.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's more likely that From isn't very good about keeping a consistent lore and make poo poo up as they go (like Zelda, before the sperglords and weirdos who use the word fandom in everyday language demanded an official timeline)

E: in relation to the What Are Giants discussion above

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 27, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KingSlime posted:

It's more likely that From isn't very good about keeping a consistent lore and make poo poo up as they go (like Zelda, before the sperglords and weirdos who use the word fandom in everyday language demanded an official timeline)

Oh word?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

notZaar posted:

It's a fake acid trip fight he's just messing with you.

That would explain all the fumes, and how he barfs more fumes that hurt if you breath them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The whole Wolnir fight makes a lot more sense if you assume its an abyss induced hallucination. Every time you fight him you have to touch the cup again, and when you finish the fight you're in the exact same place that you started with nothing having changed other than the door opening. I think if you die in the fight your bloodstain even shows up right next to the altar, implying you're just flailing around hacking at invisible skeletons.

VVV Wolnir actually has two death animations depending on how you kill him. There's the one where he loses all 3 rings and slides into the abyss that most people see. However if you actually chip away at his massive HP pool and kill him without shattering the rings, he'll just collapse and fade away like most bosses.

Common theory about Wolnir's lore is that he's meant to mirror the DS2 protagonist prior to SOTFS. A powerful conqueror that at one point achieved incredible strength and carried 3 artifacts with them. Those would be the crowns you gather in the DLC. Wolnir's rings are stated to be made from the melted crowns of lands he conquered. The idea is that the protag outside of SOTFS was a huge badass but still ended up accomplishing nothing with lasting impact. You end up fading away like Wolnir did, your legacy doing little to change the flow of the world.

Its only in SOTFS that you actually utilize your power to change things, though what you actually did with Aldia is still completely unexplained. Kind of frustrating.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 27, 2016

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
The weird thing is, at least when I Sunbroed into that fight, if the host has already touched the chalice by the time you get in, you spawn right in the abyss with them. Then after Wolnir dies, you watch the full cutscene of the fumes disappearing and the door to Boreal Valley opening, then stand around for a few seconds in that room with the host before you get sent back.

I really liked the Abyss in Dark Souls and it's fun to watch Stranger Things after playing Dark Souls and just imagining Kaathe or whatever showing up in the Upside Down.

Also, Wolnir is the only boss that doesn't outright disintegrate, he gets sucked into the Abyss instead clawing and screaming once you break his bracelets, which in the description for his sword: This holy sword, together with three armlets stripped from the corpses of clerics, gave him some semblance of comfort. Sounds like the dude had a pretty bad time.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 27, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The goblet contains carbon monoxide, the whole thing is a toxic terror hallucination.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Guillermus posted:

People like Yhorm not only because of Siegward's quest but because it's a gimmick bossfight that isn't painful like Bed of Chaos. Add kick rear end music, and rewarding as sunbro and you get a fight that is hard to dislike.

I feel like the people who like yhorm just haven't played demon's souls for the superior storm king gimmick boss fight

he is really good for farming sunlight medals tho

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

I feel like the people who like yhorm just haven't played demon's souls for the superior storm king gimmick boss fight

he is really good for farming sunlight medals tho

No PS3 here so yes, I could only watch people play Demon's Souls. I hate console exclusives and that's the only excuse for me to ever get a PS4 just to play Bloodborne. I may end some day getting an used PS3, hook it up, buy Demon's Souls and call it the Soulstation3 (and Bloodstation4).

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Turns out Wolnir has an actual death animation if you beat him to death somehow instead of just breaking his bracelets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucBFyHbR63w

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Guillermus posted:

No PS3 here so yes, I could only watch people play Demon's Souls. I hate console exclusives and that's the only excuse for me to ever get a PS4 just to play Bloodborne. I may end some day getting an used PS3, hook it up, buy Demon's Souls and call it the Soulstation3 (and Bloodstation4).

bloodborne wouldn't even exist if not for sony so sometimes exclusives are ok imo

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Manatee Cannon posted:

bloodborne wouldn't even exist if not for sony so sometimes exclusives are ok imo

That's a pretty circular argument you got there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

no, sony paid for a ps4 exclusive and bloodborne is what they got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm really happy for sony, theyv earned it. Can't wait for the PC version.