Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

I love how people can not even agree on things like the various paint jobs used by the Brits in North Africa, despite having access to tons of living participants, army documentation, etc. Despite all this, you still see arguments about which colours were actually used in the Caunter camo scheme.

There are hardware store style paint chips in Russian military archives, and yet Vallejo 4BO bears no resemblance to the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ensign Expendable posted:

There are hardware store style paint chips in Russian military archives, and yet Vallejo 4BO bears no resemblance to the real deal.

Is that the yellow-green look they seem to go for?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fond memories of winning a Squad Leader scenario by hot rodding a halftrack across all the objective hexes I had to take in one turn

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Endman posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with Muskets & Tomahawks? I'm considering getting it as an alternative to Sharp Practice with a smaller model count. Period would be the American War of Independence.

http://jayswargamingmadness.blogspot.com/search/label/Muskets%20and%20Tomahawks?m=0

https://youtu.be/3LRggNgBdQY
(Video bat rep explaining mechanics)

I've played some, I enjoyed the system but found line infantry fire to be too lethal.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Yvonmukluk posted:

Dang, it looks like I could get an Armoured Fist box set of 3 half tracks and a box of infantry for not much more than 3 Rubicon half tracks. Then again, I do already have a box of infantry, that should be enough, right?

Does anyone have advice for building an Armoured Rifle platoon? I'm fairly out of touch with BA conventional wisdom.

quote:

Each Rifle Platoon consisted of a HQ Squad, a Mortar Squad, a Light Machine Gun Squad and two Rifle Squads. The HQ Squad consisted of a Lieutenant, a Platoon Sergeant, a Squad Sergeant, a driver for the M3 halftrack, and eight riflemen. The driver carried a submachine gun, the Lieutenant, Platoon Sergeant and two riflemen, each carried carbines, the rest of the Squad rifles. Two riflemen carried carbines because the HQ halftrack also towed its own 37-mm antitank gun, for which they acted as gunner and loader. The only other issue of an antitank gun down to Rifle Platoon level I am aware of is in the German Panzer Grenadiers, where the 3.7-cm was actually mounted on the halftrack.

Each Rifle Squad was carried in an M3 halftrack, and consisted of a Sergeant, Corporal, driver and eight riflemen. All carried rifles, except the driver who had a submachine gun. The Mortar Squad had a single 60-mm mortar, while the Light Machine Squad had two M1919 Brownings for use in the ground role.

Unfortunately in BA half-tracks can't tow a gun and transport infantry at the same time, so you'll have to get a separate tow for the gun like a jeep or a DWC 1/4 ton.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

Is that the yellow-green look they seem to go for?

They have a primer that's dark green and another colour that has way too much blue in it. The best 4BO I've seen so far was a Privateer Press colour that wasn't even for historicals.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

Crosspostin!

And for more Vietnam goodness, have a FNG battle report!

Everything about this post rules. Looking forward to more write ups about solo FNG.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
WIP of my poor attempts at Brittish tanks:

I'm just learning so many things about what not to do when building tanks from these. I know there are at least 3 errors on them this far! :P

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

They have a primer that's dark green and another colour that has way too much blue in it. The best 4BO I've seen so far was a Privateer Press colour that wasn't even for historicals.

Do you have any photos of those paint samples? I've seen loads of pictures of T-34s from various museums but they seem to range from near-black to moss-grey.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I wrote an article about basing my dudes for bp/sp

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/09/basing-musket-era-troops-for-sharp.html?m=1

Also Charlie Foxtrot just came out with a cool tray for musket dudes

https://www.charliefoxtrotmodels.com/collections/new-releases/products/storage-tray

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

Do you have any photos of those paint samples? I've seen loads of pictures of T-34s from various museums but they seem to range from near-black to moss-grey.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2014/02/fourth-colour.html

There are also more documents regarding markings and painting here (scroll down to tank markings). You can also see photos of restorations of armoured vehicles and ships at this guy's Livejournal. He's the one that published the paint samples online, and according to him, this is the proper shade of green.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Grey Hunter posted:

And for more Vietnam goodness, have a FNG battle report!

Great stuff Grey, you continue to inspire.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2014/02/fourth-colour.html

There are also more documents regarding markings and painting here (scroll down to tank markings). You can also see photos of restorations of armoured vehicles and ships at this guy's Livejournal. He's the one that published the paint samples online, and according to him, this is the proper shade of green.

Well, crud, mine are painted much darker than that. I guess I'll fall back on the "different conditions" fudge.

One thing I did spot on there, though, was a picture of a sherman drying; if those weren't repainted in green, did they get repainted in their original colours? If so, why? That seems weirdly circuitous.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Lend Lease tanks were not repainted in the USSR. The Sherman is drying stateside.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Lend Lease tanks were not repainted in the USSR. The Sherman is drying stateside.

Aaaah, that'd do it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I may have bought an entire box of US Marines for conversion purposes. Quick question, I've done some research and it seems like helmet covers weren't used in Europe outside of the 2nd Armored Division (and then not for long) but apparently there were field covers developed by soldiers (which works out fine since I'm planning to use them to represent veterans). Does anyone have suggestions for how to represent those sort of covers - what sort of colour scheme should I go for?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't suppose anyone has a reasonable pictorial reference for Loyalist provincial regiments of the American War of Independence?

I'd like to paint an army that isn't totally red.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Endman posted:

I don't suppose anyone has a reasonable pictorial reference for Loyalist provincial regiments of the American War of Independence?

I'd like to paint an army that isn't totally red.

Basically

Although I think a unit dressed in civilian butternut, brown, faded colors would look fine as well.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

I got me some new terrain from the nice internet man at wargamersterrain.com

Think fast, HATO dogs! :ussr:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Basically

Although I think a unit dressed in civilian butternut, brown, faded colors would look fine as well.

Nice! Thank you.

And I can always throw in some German Mercenaries for an extra splash of colour.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Of course, there were also Patriot units that wore green coats....

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Historicals: where uniform color is both super important and impossible to ever actually get right

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Historicals: where uniform color is both super important and impossible to ever actually get right

I go all postmodern and think of it as my own personal interpretation and presentation of a historical subject.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As long as they look both good and plausible youre fine

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
With the release of Bolt Action 2e, a friend and I are planning to test it out. I've played one demo game about a year ago (1e) and he's never played before. As the guy who suggested it, I put together two lists to try this out with. Any suggestions? Germans vs USA 1000 points. I want to include a wide range of options and roles without getting too complex.

Germans: A small, elite and specialized force. Each unit has a specific role it fills, and hopefully does very well. The vets are panzergrens because that's the list I played in Flames of War.
Vet 2nd Lt 65
10 Vet Inf 130
Assault Rifles 50
10 Vet Inf 130
4 PzFaust 20
Regular MMG 50
Regular PzIV 235
Hanomag 84
Hanomag 84
10 Reg Inf 100
2 LMG 40

Total: 988

USA: A larger, regular force. Intended to include a bunch of support for a core of versatile units and vehicles.
Vet 1st Lt 90
2 Extras 26
Reg. Air Force 75
12 Reg Inf 120
BAR 5
12 Reg Inf 120
BAR 5
12 Reg Inf 120
AT Grenades 24
BAR 5
Reg. Bazooka 60
Reg. Stuart 135
+HMG 25
Reg. Howizter 50
Reg. Greyhound 110
+HMG 25

Total: 995

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

With the release of Bolt Action 2e, a friend and I are planning to test it out. I've played one demo game about a year ago (1e) and he's never played before. As the guy who suggested it, I put together two lists to try this out with. Any suggestions? Germans vs USA 1000 points. I want to include a wide range of options and roles without getting too complex.

Germans: A small, elite and specialized force. Each unit has a specific role it fills, and hopefully does very well. The vets are panzergrens because that's the list I played in Flames of War.
Vet 2nd Lt 65
10 Vet Inf 130
Assault Rifles 50
10 Vet Inf 130
4 PzFaust 20
Regular MMG 50
Regular PzIV 235
Hanomag 84
Hanomag 84
10 Reg Inf 100
2 LMG 40

Total: 988

I would suggest more evenly distributing your weapons between squads. They made some changes to make this less of a problem but having a unit basically get pinned into uselessness is a thing that can happen. If something happens to your tank your faust team is your only other AT. If I was the US player I'd be hitting them from turn 1 to prevent them from moving around. I'd probably put two fausts in all three squads. Also consider switching out some Assault Rifles for SMG's if you're planning on getting into close combat, SMG's get bonuses in close combat, assault rifles don't. Any extra points should be spent on LMG's since German machine guns are awesome.

quote:

USA: A larger, regular force. Intended to include a bunch of support for a core of versatile units and vehicles.
Vet 1st Lt 90
2 Extras 26
Reg. Air Force 75
12 Reg Inf 120
BAR 5
12 Reg Inf 120
BAR 5
12 Reg Inf 120
AT Grenades 24
BAR 5
Reg. Bazooka 60
Reg. Stuart 135
+HMG 25
Reg. Howizter 50
Reg. Greyhound 110
+HMG 25

Total: 995

A PzIV vs a Stuart isn't a very fair tank match-up. Your heavy AT gun will pierce him on a 2+ while he'll need a 5+ to do any damage to you. Once that is gone he only has his Bazooka and a squad with AT nades, unless he gets very lucky with an airstrike. I'd consider switching out the Stuart for a Sherman or swapping the Howitzer for an AT gun. He already gets two airstrikes, an additional howitzer probably isn't necessary especially as you're playing a fairly mobile force.

Edit: also the howitzer can only fire over open-sights unless he springs for a spotter.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 29, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Does Bolt Action not include the earlier models of Panzer IV armed with the 7.5cm L/24 and the thin armour?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Thanks for the feedback.

Class Warcraft posted:

I would suggest more evenly distributing your weapons between squads. They made some changes to make this less of a problem but having a unit basically get pinned into uselessness is a thing that can happen. If something happens to your tank your faust team is your only other AT. If I was the US player I'd be hitting them from turn 1 to prevent them from moving around. I'd probably put two fausts in all three squads. Also consider switching out some Assault Rifles for SMG's if you're planning on getting into close combat, SMG's get bonuses in close combat, assault rifles don't. Any extra points should be spent on LMG's since German machine guns are awesome.
Assault Rifles and SMGS are both 2 shot Assault weapons, which means they take no penalty from move+shoot and count as having Tough Fighters. I'm not seeing anything about SMGs being special, is there some rule I'm missing? Although since I'm planning to drive around in the Hanomag a lot I doubt the extra range is worth much on the Assault Rifles.

Class Warcraft posted:

A PzIV vs a Stuart isn't a very fair tank match-up. Your heavy AT gun will pierce him on a 2+ while he'll need a 5+ to do any damage to you. Once that is gone he only has his Bazooka and a squad with AT nades, unless he gets very lucky with an airstrike. I'd consider switching out the Stuart for a Sherman or swapping the Howitzer for an AT gun. He already gets two airstrikes, an additional howitzer probably isn't necessary especially as you're playing a fairly mobile force.

Edit: also the howitzer can only fire over open-sights unless he springs for a spotter.
I had hoped that multiple light AT weapons would be a good swap. The Greyhound and Stuart are both Light AT, and he's got a bazooka and AT nades. Would that not be a decent matchup against a medium tank and some armored cars? You make a good point about the airstrikes, would it be worth dropping the two extras on the LT to upgrade the howitzer to a medium AT gun?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

Assault Rifles and SMGS are both 2 shot Assault weapons, which means they take no penalty from move+shoot and count as having Tough Fighters. I'm not seeing anything about SMGs being special, is there some rule I'm missing? Although since I'm planning to drive around in the Hanomag a lot I doubt the extra range is worth much on the Assault Rifles.

Assault Rifles got nerfed in 2nd Edition. They used to be assault weapons but they're not anymore. Basically now they're rifles with 2 shots. Whoops, got automatic rifles and assault rifles mixed up. Assault rifles got their range nerfed, but thats it.

quote:

I had hoped that multiple light AT weapons would be a good swap. The Greyhound and Stuart are both Light AT, and he's got a bazooka and AT nades. Would that not be a decent matchup against a medium tank and some armored cars? You make a good point about the airstrikes, would it be worth dropping the two extras on the LT to upgrade the howitzer to a medium AT gun?

I think without anything that can really threaten your Panzer IV at long range you're basically putting the US player in a position where he can't hurt part of your army which can be discouraging for a new player. If you can fit an AT gun in there that should make things more fair. Let's him ward off your tank from at least part of the battlefield + give his light tanks a chance to do something before getting obliterated.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 29, 2016

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Regarding paint: Keep in mind that the people making the paints are also trying to interpret the colors. So it's guesswork all the way down.

lilljonas posted:

I go all postmodern and think of it as my own personal interpretation and presentation of a historical subject.

I had a weird thought about doing a whole set where the scenery was solid black and the units were solid white...

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
How feasible is an African CoC campaign? I get the feeling impression that CoC really shines at close ranges with lots of terrain, but desert war doesn't lend itself to that. The other players want to do some dessert stuff after we finish with the Caen campaigns, but the pint-sized campaigns have kinda gotten me hooked on historical maps as basis for our tables. Are there any good locations, campaigns or maps that fit the CoC rules?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

How feasible is an African CoC campaign? I get the feeling impression that CoC really shines at close ranges with lots of terrain, but desert war doesn't lend itself to that. The other players want to do some dessert stuff after we finish with the Caen campaigns, but the pint-sized campaigns have kinda gotten me hooked on historical maps as basis for our tables. Are there any good locations, campaigns or maps that fit the CoC rules?

North africa has tons of good terrain features for breaking up LOS, it's not all flat desert. Do some googling on Tunisia, and you'll find cactus fields, stony streams, hills, rock formations and, well, woods and crops and villages as well. I've always thought that the siege of Tobruk and/or any of the operations around it would make for a good backdrop for a campaign, and one where there are quite a few photos to use for research. Also, everybody where there, germans, italians, brits, scots, poles, australians, the list goes on for cool small side projects. Maybe you want to paint up a sikh squad that has been merged with a battered scottish platoon? It would make sense in Tobruk! Germans driving looted Matildas, fighting Australians defending with captured Italian anti-tan guns? Why not!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm going to be racist and suggest doing urban combat in WWII.

Why racist?

Because with some magnetization for billboards and some loose corrugated carton? painted as sheets of... roofing you can transform those buildings into a suitable backdrop for a Force on Force/Skirmish Sangin/Spectre/OSC game!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

North africa has tons of good terrain features for breaking up LOS, it's not all flat desert. Do some googling on Tunisia, and you'll find cactus fields, stony streams, hills, rock formations and, well, woods and crops and villages as well. I've always thought that the siege of Tobruk and/or any of the operations around it would make for a good backdrop for a campaign, and one where there are quite a few photos to use for research. Also, everybody where there, germans, italians, brits, scots, poles, australians, the list goes on for cool small side projects. Maybe you want to paint up a sikh squad that has been merged with a battered scottish platoon? It would make sense in Tobruk! Germans driving looted Matildas, fighting Australians defending with captured Italian anti-tan guns? Why not!

Sounds cool. And of course Tobruk is the most obvious choice.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Fish and Chimps posted:

There where lots of clashes in the desert, as I understand it a lot of that was tanks, but they would have support of course. Both sides made some daring attacks by taking shortcuts through the desert.

But Tunisia and Libya also has town like the now infamous Benghazi

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/Longest-Siege-Tobruk-Battle-Africa/dp/0330510819

I picked up this book last year, and it was a good entry primer to the campaign. It doesn't cover everything, but it gives a lot of flavour and was a good read IMHO.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

This is sort of a "thing" in scale model paints. The prevailing theory is that you don't actually want the "correct" paint color for scale miniatures, especially small ones, you want one that's several stages brighter to compensate for increased distance at scale. It sort of makes sense, go look at a photo taken next to a standard desert pattern abrams and then go look at an aerial photo of one. The one next to you looks like a very pale yellow while the one from the sky is an extremely pale bone color. Opinions on the correctness of this vary, but I generally feel if you're bothering to do highlighting and shading you should trend light for your historicals.

lilljonas posted:

I have been seriously considering doing my Russians in monochrome to look like a WWII film.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Longest-Siege-Tobruk-Battle-Africa/dp/0330510819

I picked up this book last year, and it was a good entry primer to the campaign. It doesn't cover everything, but it gives a lot of flavour and was a good read IMHO.

Cool! Your group didn't do a Tobruk campaign for CoC did you?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

Cool! Your group didn't do a Tobruk campaign for CoC did you?

Not yet, the Stalino campaign took much longer than we expected, spanning a whole year and some 20+ games. On top of that our other projects took away time from painting the brits, so I'm just now starting to get out some painted tanks, none of them finished yet, and we're planning on a few group painting sessions to get some Brittish infantry painted. We're probably doing a Sicily or Italy campaign first, but we also have some new members who are very keen on North Africa, so we'll see which ones get going first. But we're definitely looking at ways to make the campaigns shorter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Warlord is finally coming out with a German AFV I want

Just need an Oddball Sherman kit to go with it