Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

highme posted:

Jewsbury never had world beating skill but he has been a fantastic team player and member of the Timbers organization.

I can understand if that means fuckall to anyone else in the league though. However I am going to miss the guy that can be reliably called to start, and put in a solid 90 minutes, in a number of positions, when Porter Plan A falls apart.

I thought Timbers fan got fed up with JJ a few seasons ago? Or Porter did? I thought he fell out of favor for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Welcome to GBS posted:

You lot are seriously some of the worst people to discuss soccer with that I have ever experienced.

lol

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

People are going to say the same poo poo about Adolf Joseph De La Garza when he retires, but I'm still going to gnash my teeth and tear my garments in sorrow. The guy played once for the US and then for Guam, but he is still the heart of my team. He isn't the best player, but he's our guy. Like Seattle and Levesque.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Adolf Joseph De La Garza

...OK, that explains why he goes by "AJ".

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Tigren posted:

I thought Timbers fan got fed up with JJ a few seasons ago? Or Porter did? I thought he fell out of favor for some reason.

Porter did, but it was mainly that he started showing that his body had been through nearly 15 years of MLS games and that he's not the future of the team. He's still a solid sub and gets good minutes as a starter during CCL/Open Cup/etc situations. The fans love him way more than Porter does, but even Porter kept him as some sort of pseudo-captain role.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I somewhat wonder what annoying Timbers twitter account Welcome to GBS is, but it's probably a mystery that shall remain.

Tigren posted:

There was some displeasure (mostly during Spencer's tenure). The peak of which was everybody's favorite capo, Pong, screaming at him after losing to the CalFC. I think that was mostly a symptom of how awful those seasons were.

Since then, his reaction to Porter giving the armband to Will Johnson then doing whatever was asked of him on or off the field without complaint endeared him to a large segment of the fanbase.

thelazyblank posted:

He's still a solid sub and gets good minutes as a starter during CCL/Open Cup/etc situations.

He's got something like 15 league starts at CDM this season. Once Porter switched away from the single pivot again he's been the best option to play alongside Chara over Zemanski, Grabavoy or Okugo. And he's been pretty drat solid there.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Welcome to GBS posted:

You lot are seriously some of the worst people to discuss soccer with that I have ever experienced.

Jewsbury had 2 game winning goals in 2015 alone and made the run to MLS Cup possible.

Lewis Neal had the same, plus won DC the US Open Cup, in 2013. That doesn't mean Lewis Neal is a good player. That means fans of that team will celebrate those moments. Jack Jewsbury is your Lewis Neal. And that's okay.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Jewsbury scored the match-winning goal to secure the Cascadia Cup in '12. that alone makes him a big deal to a lot of folks emotionally.

I mean, I'm glad to see Zemanski getting more time, but seeing sweet guys retire is always kind of a bummer.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

the escape goat posted:

Jewsbury scored the match-winning goal to secure the Cascadia Cup in '12. that alone makes him a big deal to a lot of folks emotionally.

I mean, I'm glad to see Zemanski getting more time, but seeing sweet guys retire is always kind of a bummer.

I guess this is why most people are finding it hard to feel things about Jack Jewsbury. Scoring a goal in a nonexistant cup tournament created 10 years ago doesn't excite me.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yeah, I don't think it's that big of a deal for anybody else in the league.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
Spazzmanski is terrible.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
We've reached the point in our league's growth where we have club legends that don't mean poo poo to anyone else. Timbers in particular.

Let's talk about the overall impact Fred has left on MLS

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Your Boy Fancy posted:

We've reached the point in our league's growth where we have club legends that don't mean poo poo to anyone else. Timbers in particular.

Let's talk about the overall impact Fred has left on MLS

Our goalposts have become a club legend after a PK miss, and have a whole bar named after goalposts. Portland hasn't had a sports win worth celebrating since the 70s before the MLS Cup. We were a broken and sad people, but now we have a real cup, so anyone within touching distance of having done something to get that cup will be remembered fondly, except Lucas Melano.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CaptainYesterday posted:

If RBNY/Toronto gets 100,000 viewers, I will be pleasantly surprised. And yes, I'm taking into account the NFL match-ups on CBS at the same time.

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/778230730526601216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/778236501377228800?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:eyepop:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the escape goat posted:

The Cascadia Cup...

Go gently caress yourself.

And I mean that, gently caress you and gently caress Cascadia.

highme
May 25, 2001

thelazyblank posted:

...and have a whole bar named after goalposts.

That's a generous take.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

highme posted:

That's a generous take.

That's fair. It's a stadium hole in the wall where beer comes from. I mainly wanted to make jokes about Melano.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Shrapnig posted:

The Cascadia Cup...

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I want to throw the cascadia cup into the Delaware river

highme
May 25, 2001

Just don't hold it by the handles.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Hey remember how we were doomed to failure because nobody watches soccer

Here Come Dat Fútbol

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's a 12 year high for a 20 year old league. Ratings wax and wane, and there hasn't been real growth over time observable for MLS when factoring in expansion.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
19 million people watched the Fox football game, so just over 6% of viewers forgot to turn off their set and accidentally watched MLS afterwards.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

camoseven posted:

19 million people watched the Fox football game, so just over 6% of viewers forgot to turn off their set and accidentally watched MLS afterwards.

It's worked for 60 Minutes for years.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
MLS has found its new TV strategy, schedule every match right after a NFL game on the same network.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

MLS has found its new TV strategy, schedule every match right after a NFL game on the same network.

I'm pretty sure this is how 60 Minutes stays around. Worth a shot.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Shrapnig posted:

The Cascadia Cup...

The Voyageurs Cup is literally more meaningful than the Cascadia Cup lol

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I'll always remember all those Atlantic Cup wins

I'll especially remember the fake trophy they made up for DC vs Philly that got invented and then never mentioned again due to both fan bases telling them to go gently caress themselves

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

The Voyageurs Cup is literally more meaningful than the Cascadia Cup lol

well obviously, it's a ccl spot

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
will fans shed the same amount of tears when oduro retires? will anyone miss a fast player with a poo poo foot? would anyone care unless he played for a pnw team? will his career obituaries bubble forth like a spring of sewage a la jack jewsbury?

In His House at Montreal garbage Oduro waits dreaming.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I think fans will nod sagely and try to look at the good things he did, like that one time he ran really fast and scored a goal. And then they're going to remember the crippling agony of seeing Oduro 1v1 with a keeper and knowing in their bones that it's going out for a throw in.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I mean I'm a little sad Zach Scott will be retiring, but I don't expect anyone else to care. He was a cool dude who played for our team and wasn't completely terrible. gently caress, even with how much I dislike him at centerback, Brad Evans retiring will be worth a toast. Osvaldo Alonso will be even more so.

They Are My Guys, And I Hope They Are Better Than Your Guys, And Even If They're Not, We Still Are. This Is Sports.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I think fans will nod sagely and try to look at the good things he did, like that one time he ran really fast and scored a goal. And then they're going to remember the crippling agony of seeing Oduro 1v1 with a keeper and knowing in their bones that it's going out for a throw in.

I spent a solid minute laughing hysterically at this, and now my wife and daughter are convinced I'm insane.

I was living in Dallas when Oduro played for FCD and I'm pretty sure he launched at least one ball so high it flew over all the seats behind the goal and landed in the walkway behind the concert stage.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

foobardog posted:

I mean I'm a little sad Zach Scott will be retiring, but I don't expect anyone else to care. He was a cool dude who played for our team and wasn't completely terrible. gently caress, even with how much I dislike him at centerback, Brad Evans retiring will be worth a toast. Osvaldo Alonso will be even more so.

They Are My Guys, And I Hope They Are Better Than Your Guys, And Even If They're Not, We Still Are. This Is Sports.

I mean Alonso and Evans are better than the burier of jews and the 38th most important sponsor of Pappa Johns poo poo pizza.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Going to be some real egg on faces when MLS becomes the best league in the world in 4 years and all the club legends were actually bad

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

You have to realize that most club legends in all leagues were not that great. They just played there a long time. Or they scored a goal That One Time.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

You have to realize that most club legends in all leagues were not that great. They just played there a long time. Or they scored a goal That One Time.

which makes the oduro talk silly because he isn't capable of either

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Agreed, Steven Gerrard is a waste

A wasting disease

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BocaBoca3/status/780806871393312768

Interesting, that's a pretty big name for an expansion MLS team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

trem_two posted:

https://twitter.com/BocaBoca3/status/780806871393312768

Interesting, that's a pretty big name for an expansion MLS team

He wants to get his coke from the source.

• Locked thread