Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The more powerful rings have higher weight and lower durability.

There is actually a way to see those invisible guys and lock onto them, but it's locked behind the door Geop is to much of a wuss to open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I absolutely hate this area. The phantoms always manage to sneak up and scare me. I remember the first time I was chatting with the NPC in here when suddenly one of them hit me in the back, scared the poo poo out of me.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't tested out the Old Sun Ring but it sounds a lot like the Karmic Justice miracle from Dark Souls 1. Dark Souls goon ECEC has a bunch of videos where he does gimmick PVP with Karmic Justice.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
This was one of the most memorable (and personally one of the best made) areas from the game for me. I loved it. Just not while I was walking through it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I love the inverse tomb of the giants.

Well not really, but I love watching you suffer through it

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 25, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I feel that player phantoms tend to have a certain 'agitation' to their actions that distinguishes them from the NPC ones, like how that first NPC phantom was just calmly walking back and forth not doing much, but with any of the human phantoms you can imagine them going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" the whole time and it fits perfectly.

The guys beelining through the fog? "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
The guy sprinting up the ramp around Shrek's swamp? "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
The guy suddenly levitating into the air? "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
The guy swinging that greatsword around in the fog? "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

It's a sort of 'screaming internally' quality through which you can sense the presence of a human.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 25, 2016

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I think Chloanne has a wishbone from the traditional Drangleic September Thanksgiving that she wanted to split with Goonther but he was too shy.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

edit: didn't want to incidentally spoil item
Man, those ghosts always feel like you're fighting the camera, not the enemy. :smith:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Erm, did Geop miss an npc or is that further up ahead?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

double nine posted:

Erm, did Geop miss an npc or is that further up ahead?
He been moved in Scholar

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
I think it's a leg. The tibia has a really wide top part and the fibula is really thin. The ankle here'd be encased in rock or have some weirdo disease.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I was thinking it was a leg too. It looks like one from the front. I'm guessing the flat part on the bottom is either supposed to be incased in rock, like you said, or just the modeler got lazy because nobody was going to try to really look at it from behind.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

The bottom of the bones had a whiteish thing covering it, it looked to me like the handfoot was attached to the armleg by wrapping cloth around both of them or something, rather than that the joint was actually bent that far.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
The Falconer, or, An Animation Intern's First Blend Tree:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
A little bit of Falconer trivia: In the original non-Scholar version of the game, they were almost entirely cut from the game. They only made a very brief appearance in NG+. Either as a result or cause of their almost-removal from the game, their animation work is a bit... wonky. That run was one example, but they also have one attack animation that is weird, which we haven't seen yet.

For whatever reason they decided to throw them in the first playthrough of Scholar, and considerably increase their numbers as well.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Shaded Woods owns, and works way better than Tomb of the Giants

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
The falconers also have a certain attack that they don't show in NG at all, only in NG+ or at least that has been my experience.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Attestant posted:

A little bit of Falconer trivia: In the original non-Scholar version of the game, they were almost entirely cut from the game. They only made a very brief appearance in NG+. Either as a result or cause of their almost-removal from the game, their animation work is a bit... wonky. That run was one example, but they also have one attack animation that is weird, which we haven't seen yet.

For whatever reason they decided to throw them in the first playthrough of Scholar, and considerably increase their numbers as well.
I don't think that other wonky animation is even in NG, but I appreciate they added the enemies into the first playthrough in SotFS. They are fairly clearly a nearly-scrapped enemy type looking at the two animations you're thinking of, but I think even if an enemy seems wonky in some way they should still be included if only to bring variety to the game - since they are gameplay wise still functional and cool-lookin' guys. This is also true for the ninja monster guys we saw in the pirate cove that also weren't included in NG for the original version.

The rest of the Souls series and BBorne don't have anything like that, but I think with this game enemies like that kind of add into the game in a strange way. Makes it feel like they just did things without thinking them through completely, which again would normally make me iffy but here it makes it stand out as something of a work of passion in some way. I'm just rambling though so don't make it an legitimate argument of quality V:v:V

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Using a torch in your off hand really helps with phantom spotting.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Yeah, I would hate the Shaded Woods a lot more, but honestly you can get through the foggy area in about 20-30 seconds just by hugging the left wall. You won't even run into anybody except Vengarl. If they hadn't told Geop to go look for an item, he'd have hit the entrance in just a couple of seconds.

I do like coming back later once I've done certain things for revenge, which I hope the other commentators will advise Geop to do when he gets there.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 26, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

You should tell whats-her-name about this cool rock you found.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
The thing about Everclear and Sunny D is that the sunny d does not mask the ethanol.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just glanced at a walkthrough and it doesn't appear that Geop missed anything noteworthy in the fog area (some soul items, some consumable items that can be bought/farmed from enemies), am I forgetting anything?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Vengarl is one of my favorite Souls npcs, and a strong example of the latent Buddhism that runs through DS2. Shaded Woods feels like a missed opportunity on the whole though

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Whamukars posted:

The thing about Everclear and Sunny D is that the sunny d does not mask the ethanol.

Estus does have a kind of "Burn on the way down" sound effect though

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well at least Sean Bean got to live on in some form after dying this time.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
it's probably too late now, but you really don't need to bother breaking pots from afar. rolling is fun!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think my go-to method for remote jar tipping ended up being darkblobs from my scoped sorcerer staff.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
smh if you don't roll with 999 iron arrows

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Fuligin posted:

Vengarl is one of my favorite Souls npcs, and a strong example of the latent Buddhism that runs through DS2. Shaded Woods feels like a missed opportunity on the whole though

This. Helps that he's also got an excellent VA.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Smoky Bandana posted:

This. Helps that he's also got an excellent VA.

I'm trying to think of a bad VA in the Souls games, and nothing is really springing to mind.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

I'm trying to think of a bad VA in the Souls games, and nothing is really springing to mind.
To be fair, usually Souls characters don't really have a lot of emotional lines or such so it's not like it's super easy to do a bad job with it like with most games. I mean for a lot of characters its like, do you know how to sound depressed? How about a menacing chuckle? Aight you're in

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

All you have to do to voice act well in a souls game is be able to add "aheh heh heh heh..." to the end of every sentence.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm not a huge fan of some deliveries, even if they have the intended effect. Like for example I dislike how the Emerald Herald sounds so flat all the time. I'm sure she's intended to sound a bit distant and odd, but in my ears the effect sounds like a voice actor who REALLY phoned it in.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Attestant posted:

I'm not a huge fan of some deliveries, even if they have the intended effect. Like for example I dislike how the Emerald Herald sounds so flat all the time. I'm sure she's intended to sound a bit distant and odd, but in my ears the effect sounds like a voice actor who REALLY phoned it in.

I wonder if Japan will ever really get that those acting directions don't go right at all when you apply them to lines spoken in English

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

D_W posted:

All you have to do to voice act well in a souls game is be able to add "aheh heh heh heh..." to the end of every sentence.

http://drilsouls.tumblr.com/post/145574957181/every-dark-souls-npc-conversation-wver posted:

Dubious Grandma: poo poo-rear end Dead Dude... Know'st thou of Hell gently caress Castle, high in the mountains...? (laughter) It was once the domain of King Big Sad Guy, who did the Flame Thing.. Legend tells of the castle's steward, the great and terrible HorseDog, but who is to say if it still roams the halls... (solid minute of laughter) Oh, how silly of me; but of course, a new arrival in Drangranthric wouldst know not such tales... One such as thee... wouldst be better suited to sharpen the blades of the dreaded wraith of Why'd They Put Anorher FUCKIN SWAMP LEVEL Marsh..... Armor Type of Dude. That is... ifst thoust canst livest thatst longst... (five minutes of laughter; unskippable)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

smuh posted:

To be fair, usually Souls characters don't really have a lot of emotional lines or such so it's not like it's super easy to do a bad job with it like with most games. I mean for a lot of characters its like, do you know how to sound depressed? How about a menacing chuckle? Aight you're in

yeah, understated performances are just so easy :rolleye:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oswald the Pardoner from DS1 did not get enough credit for his voicework

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Oswald the Pardoner from DS1 did not get enough credit for his voicework

His voice actor, David Gant, looks like a Souls character himself.

• Locked thread