Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Baal posted:

I think I won't care about the game because it looks loving awful and Kodaka hasn't written a thing I've liked since the first game

I don't know why you were watching this animu if you hated DR2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

my exposure to DR2 is reading a wiki synopsis on it

i don't think actually playing it would've made much of a difference since the DR2 cast is mostly just set-dressing on Despair Side anyway

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

cloofish posted:

I don't know why you were watching this animu if you hated DR2.

I didn't hate DR2, but I didn't like it and it's not exactly hard to watch anime while doing other poo poo

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Personally, I'm not sure whether DR3 will be able to stick the landing with Side:Hope. There's quite a bit left to explain, particularly with Izuru and his role in the scenario. There's also doubt whether they will actually end the story of the original characters on a positive note.

I'm thinking that having V3 reboot the series is exactly what it needs. The series is at its best when it's about solving murders and class trials. Hopefully, in pruning down the "Hope vs Despair" metaplot, the writers will learn from what worked and what didn't.

Incidentally, some new information on V3 has come out. Since the anime is almost at its conclusion, perhaps V3 discussion can go on the game thread in Games:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486078&pagenumber=57#lastpost

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Baal posted:

V3's not even connected with this crap I have less reason to care about it than I ever have and I cared about it so drat little when all that was shown was the lovely robot. I am not playing it especially when all of the characters look worse than either of the other two games' cast.

See you soon when DRv3 gets released in the west.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I love DR2 and DR's universe in general. Yeah, the mystery and murder mysteries are what makes the games fun and there weren't enough of those in this but I enjoyed this anime. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but the two sides had their share of enjoyable moments and even a really nice character arc in Juzo. The mystery was fun to guess and I really like that I figured out the suicide angle first among my friends. Watching the two overlapping anime series' every week was an unusual experience worth having. It had enough of a whodunit and howdunit aspect to work for me, it was just overly grim at points especially in Future. I'm kind of pissed that the first moment to have a genuine emotional reaction out of me, Kizakura's sacrifice, was nullified a few episodes later.

I like that the final weapon is "Hope" itself and I look forward to seeing my boy Hinata smack down this whole good/bad dichotomy bullshit in Hope Arc.

I'm quite looking forward to V3. Love that the protagonist is a pianist and the talents and designs seem cool. Inventor girl is my current favorite. Hopefully they stick with a more traditional murder mystery plot this series.

Also Zero Time Dilemma was really good. All of it.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 27, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Zero Time Dilemma was really good, and that's exactly why DR3 is really bad.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I think DR3 is very good and I'm happy with most of it so far besides some things with the Despair arc that I had a problem with but that's me I guess. :)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

IceBorg posted:

I think DR3 is very good and I'm happy with most of it so far besides some things with the Despair arc that I had a problem with but that's me I guess. :)

:agreed: But what were the things you had a problem with? Just curious.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

cloofish posted:

:agreed: But what were the things you had a problem with? Just curious.

I talked about it before but the first thing was the whole Twilight Syndrome thing in the anime, it's obvious now they just put there because DR2 said it happened and they just used it to make Hinata have one more reason to become Izuru and make Komaeda try to blow up a gym because after that it doesn't matter anymore, you would think Mahiru losing her best friend and Kuzuryuu losing his siter and having the culprit killed would be mentioned more(I guess in the Mukuro vs Peko fight it was sorta mentioned when Mukuro says how Peko has killed before but that could refer to other things), it's really weird when that was something that was the whole reason why case 2 of the second game happened and makes no sense character wise for then to forget it about it.

The whole Chiaki AI thing was a mess because the way they went about was the be vague as gently caress about Izuru's role in the thing just to confuse people I guess?? Like we know from the game that Nanami was created by Chihiro( or someone continued his work on her at least) but the last episode never touches upon it besides showing her and Hinata meeting at the end, like it seems like Izuru was involved but he couldn't be because it was Chihiro so he could had been partly involved and then sent the AI by mail?? Who knows but it would have been easy to fix because there was a timeskip between episode 10 and 11 so Izuro could have just said to Junko "I left her files with a student from your class and you know what that means, if the opportunity ever is presented I will use you and her to see if Hope or Despair is better, farewell" or something like that but instead he just says "I will just be here watching to see if her hope or your despair wins" like yeah you could say that when he learns about the Junko AI and New World Program he plans the whole DR2 thing but if they just have made it clear instead of being vague for the sake of it it would be much better. Of course this part could still change based on the hope episode if it's talked about it there since Hinata will appear but I don't think it will.

I also previously complained about Mukuro, especially in the last episode in how out-of-character she was acting with saying to kill Naegi, but I learned that I read subs that did that part wrong in translating so I don't really have a complait about it anymore besides I wished I could see more of Mukuro being nice to her classmates but that was not the focus of the anime in the first place so it's fine.

Finally I would complain about the whole Komaeda and Izuru thing since they had to explain later how Izuro removed his memories and Junko did the same with Komaeda of the confrotation and just made the whole thing confusing for the sake of it when they could have made the two not meet in the first place but that scene was loving cool so I give it a pass.

Basically I think it's almost obvious the writers didn't want to focus on the DR2 cast at all and more on the DR3 characters side and only did it because they knew the DR2 cast is really popular so didn't plan some things well and it shows in some parts.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

IceBorg posted:

I also previously complained about Mukuro, especially in the last episode in how out-of-character she was acting with saying to kill Naegi, but I learned that I read subs that did that part wrong in translating so I don't really have a complait about it anymore besides I wished I could see more of Mukuro being nice to her classmates but that was not the focus of the anime in the first place so it's fine.

I don't think there's similarities to IF Mukuro and this Mukuro. She still calls Naegi a loser in all the other subs I've seen, and her body language hardly spoke of any attachment towards him.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Ignis posted:

I don't think there's similarities to IF Mukuro and this Mukuro. She still calls Naegi a loser in all the other subs I've seen, and her body language hardly spoke of any attachment towards him.

It's not even in DRIF because you can argue that's non-canon but then you have clues in DR1 and Zero that she has a soft spot for Naegi and her classmates and the fact that in everysing photo in DR1 it was mentioned(by Kodaka himself I think) that Mukuro is always looking at Naegi in those photos and those are canon.
The loser thing you can sorta explain as her hiding that has a good opinion on him from Junko, the killing thing was harder because it gave the idea that she didn't mind killling him but now you can think that she did mind and that's why she got nervous when she started thinking Junko was planning that.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

Who was in the helicopter?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Finally watched Future ep. 12. It reminds me too much of this post I made awhile back

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I hope DR3 just has something so completely stupid, like the absolute dumbest poo poo ever conceived by Japanese media. Just some raw, dumbass poo poo I swear to god. Give me the stupid dumb bullshit.

Also I'm sure V3 will be good. Anything is better than putting up with the Hope's Peak storyline for any longer

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

For those who think that Mahiru and Fuyuhiko got over the twilight syndrome case too fast, remember that there was a time skip of several months between episodes 4 and 5 of Despair. They had the chance to grieve and work through the problems that caused it, we just skipped over it.

So Tengan was the mastermind of the final killing game, with Chisa manipulating him into going to extremes. Since everything is automated, and there wasn't an extra person helping him with all of this, that points to only one conclusion:

The extra survivor was Hiro all along.

So if you die in despair, you end up in a movie theater? The DR universe has a strange afterlife.

Edited for more clarity.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 28, 2016

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Im glad we finally got to experience the MGS4 of anime.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

BlazeEmblem posted:

For those who think that Mahiru and Fuyuhiko got over the twilight syndrome case too fast, remember that there was a time skip of several months between episodes 4 and 5 of Despair. They had the chance to grieve and work through the problems that caused it, we just skipped over it.

So Tengan was the mastermind of the final killing game, with Chisa manipulating both him and Munakata behind the scenes. Since everything is automated, and there wasn't an extra person helping him with all of this, that points to only one conclusion:

The extra survivor was Hiro all along.

So if you die in despair, you end up in a movie theater? The DR universe has a strange afterlife.

Was Tengan manipulating Chisa? That's not the impression I got, though I could be wrong. If anything I thought he was manipulating Chisa to bring his complex motives into motion.

e:

COBRARocky posted:

Im glad we finally got to experience the MGS4 of anime.

MGS4 was pretty much an anime anyway.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 28, 2016

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

cloofish posted:

Was Tengan manipulating Chisa? That's not the impression I got, though I could be wrong. If anything I thought he was manipulating Chisa to bring his complex motives into motion.

e:

MGS4 was pretty much an anime anyway.

It wasn't the best written sentence. Chisa was manipulating Tengan, and Chisa was also Manipulating Munakata.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

BlazeEmblem posted:

It wasn't the best written sentence. Chisa was manipulating Tengan, and Chisa was also Manipulating Munakata.

Actually you're fine, I hosed up. What I meant to say was, was Chisa really manipulating Tengan, because if anything I saw it the other way around.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IceBorg posted:

Because he didn't just want the brainwashing, he wanted someone to leave the world in their hands because like he said he was not long for the world, he wanted a sucessor of his hope, even if he did try to ask him to use the brainwashing I don't think Mitarai would agree right away and even if he did Tengan wouldn't be sure that after he died Mitarai wouldn't change his mind or something and undue it later. This way was a way of him being almost 100% sure that Mitarai would go with the brainwashing and not have doubts about it.
Did 11 people really have to die for that though

To be fair I guess almost all of them were murderous assholes or traitors. Munakata did nothing wrong (except failing to kill Ruruka).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 28, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the ff made it clear that putting a bunch of idiot savants with personality disorders in charge of an organization was a very, very bad idea. though, the leader without a defining talent was the biggest idiot of them all so i think the whole idea was doomed from the start.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still don't understand what part of Munakata made him an ultimate student council president because he's more of a samurai than he is an actual leader of a group.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Baal posted:

I still don't understand what part of Munakata made him an ultimate student council president because he's more of a samurai than he is an actual leader of a group.

Kikazura: "Hey, I'm the former Hope's Peak talent scout, not the former Super High School Level Talent Scount. Stuff slips through sometimes."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Munakata might be a really effective administrator when his subordinates aren't betraying him to a crazy teen girl

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm sure munakata really was an exceptionally talented student council president, but that didn't mean he was an exceptionally talented leader in general. heck, the dude jumped straight into fascism complete with purges of undesirable elements at the first opportunity, which really says it all.

i think yukizome was the only truly multi-talented and versatile ff member, but we all know how that worked out.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Serious Frolicking posted:

the ff made it clear that putting a bunch of idiot savants with personality disorders in charge of an organization was a very, very bad idea. though, the leader without a defining talent was the biggest idiot of them all so i think the whole idea was doomed from the start.

Don't forget that there were already factions trying to organize their own blackjack and hookers future foundations, of which Munakata was one and Ruruka was another. Clearly it was not going to take much for these guys to turn on each other, which I'm guessing is what the old man's plan relied on. Plus, it would get rid of what he viewed as dangers to the organization all in one fell swoop.

Not saying this isn't a really dumb plan, but there's a kind of twisted, Nagito-esque logic to it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Went through all of this over the weekend out of curiosity since I liked 1 (and that was the only one I liked) and man, this is really underwhelming in a lot of ways that everyone else has already put better. May as well see how stupid it gets in the end.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

cloofish posted:

Actually you're fine, I hosed up. What I meant to say was, was Chisa really manipulating Tengan, because if anything I saw it the other way around.

It's not said outright but it's pretty implied I think. Just in the beginning of the episode when she gives Tengan the videos and also says Mitarai was the one that made then she does her despair smile so it's easy to concluse she knows what he is going to do with that information.

Also her whole talk with Junko where Junko says she is pretty much the reason for all the killings because sh started manipulating Munakata to go against Tengan and then went and died first so that Munakata would go crazy, the fact that she had also the photo of her after killing the kids on her pretty much tells that she knew that Munakata would find that and go crazy after seeing it and started to wanting to kill everyone. Just in the last Despair episode she even says she wants to by Munakata's side to fill him with despair in the right moment.

Many people, including me, also don't think that's a coincidence that Mitarai appeared on the meeting when he wasn't invited in the first place so peole think that Chisa was the one who got him there at last moment so Tengan wouldn't be able to plan around it so he had to be in the game or it would be too suspicious and then Mitarai would get killed by Munakata after he went crazy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

he's yu narukami and everyone does what yu narukami wants

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

To be fair I guess almost all of them were murderous assholes or traitors. Munakata did nothing wrong (except failing to kill Ruruka).
That said I do think she has the most coherent motive of any Future murderer, not that that's saying much.

i'm sure munakata really was an exceptionally talented student council president, but that didn't mean he was an exceptionally talented leader in general. heck, the dude jumped straight into fascism complete with purges of undesirable elements at the first opportunity, which really says it all.

i think yukizome was the only truly multi-talented and versatile ff member, but we all know how that worked out.
Daisaku and Gozu seemed like decent guys :(

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was watching the early episodes that I had missed, and Monobear calls it "the final showdown between him and Naegi." But it was Tengan who set it up so it actually isn't that at all. lol.

e: And I guess Tengan had no connection to Junko prior to things, so him helping directly admit her was a red herring. Except a really dumb one because it raises a lot of questions.

Danganronpa 3: That's really dumb and raises a lot of questions.

Zenephant posted:

Who was in the helicopter?

Good question.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Finally watched Future ep. 12. It reminds me too much of this post I made awhile back

Also I'm sure V3 will be good. Anything is better than putting up with the Hope's Peak storyline for any longer

I'm kind of irked that V3 has talents for everyone still. I hope it's not going to do an 'it's all connected to DR1' twist, but it absolutely is.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 28, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That said I do think she has the most coherent motive of any Future murderer, not that that's saying much.
Daisaku and Gozu seemed like decent guys :(

daisaku was an rear end in a top hat who kept babbling nonsense at a meeting about whether or not to execute a beloved public figure

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I have no idea what they were thinking when they made DR3. It honestly has none of the things that made Danganronpa good. I don't even need to share my opinion on the episode, because every variation of describing it as dumb has already been said.

I'm at least morbidly curious as to how they're going to wrap this giant mess up and possibly make it worse.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm curious what the Japanese fan reception is in general. Is Kodaka aware lots of people seem to hate it? Or is the western fanbase the minority? :iiam:

It's kind of amusing to me that they killed off every sympathetic new character introduced in DR3, though. Even human!Chiaki if she counts as a 'new character'.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 28, 2016

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Ignis posted:

No it isn't, all the shows airing after Danganronpa are on schedule as usual

That's one complicated TV-schedule but to me it looks like there's two episodes of DR3 in the 23-24 slot. And even so DR3 is mentioned on that particular screenshot no less than 3 times over, so either Japan is really weird about reruns or there's a longer episode. There's one in 24:30, as well.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Anatharon posted:

I was watching the early episodes that I had missed, and Monobear calls it "the final showdown between him and Naegi." But it was Tengan who set it up so it actually isn't that at all. lol.

Actually, speaking of "the final showdown", I recently rewatched the epilogue to Ultra Despair Girls to see what exactly it set up again, and Junko (as in her AI in Kurokuma and Shirokuma) refers to the events of UDG making the preparations for "the final match" almost complete with Nagito and Izuru turning themselves in to Future Foundation and Izuru having the Junko AI chips that will then presumably be inserted into the Neo World Program, and while talking to Izuru, she says "the next time I'll see you, you'll be someone else entirely". That makes it sound like she's talking about the events of DR2 being "the final match" - which I guess makes sense, since I don't recall anything that said that the events of DR3 were directly planned by Junko in any way. It's just the Remnants going nuts in their own way. Though I might be braindead and forgetting something blatantly obvious.

Also, she says "I hope the future is going to be one you can't predict". Was Izuru's super-powered analyst ability that basically makes him able to see the future and his quest to find something that he cannot predict brought up in DR2 or anything else prior to DR3? Serious question, I don't remember. My memory is bad, is what I'm getting at.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It was suggested in his chapter 0 spiel

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there has been no indication that junko or a junko ai were involved in any way. monobear was barely around at all, even.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

daisaku was an rear end in a top hat who kept babbling nonsense at a meeting about whether or not to execute a beloved public figure

No wonder Tengan put the most unfair forbidden action on him. "man if this guy doesn't shut up in this whole thing Mitarai will probably kill himself out of annoyance, gotta get rid of him! :argh: "

Speaking of that it's kinda fun seeing some the forbidden actions in regards to Tengan being the mastermind, like Gozu had the best one with he couldn't have 3 second pin on himself and in being a wrestler there's no way he would die because of it and it makes sense since he was Tengan's bodyguard.

Kirigiri's looked like one where it was to get to Naegi but if you now think about the Mitarai situation her action was probably made that way so that she could investigate for a while and learn about the suicides and make Mitarai learn about it but not enough for her to learn the whole controlling Mitarai thing, Tengan used Naegi because he probably saw that Naegi would survive the whole thing based on his luck and the fact that Kirigiri would never kill him to stay alive.

Ruruka's and Izayoi was made to probably control their actions, I would guess Tengan knew how Ruruka acts to stay alive and is afraid of being betrayed so by making her forbidden action letting people leave and making Izayoi's something only Ruruka could trigger so he knew they would try to kill each other eventually.

Mitarai's is obvious that he made it just so he would be conscious of not being able use his brainwashing so that he would decide to use it in the end.

All the others were probably made randomly with Bandai having the bad luck of having the one that would most likely be used as a example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Honestly, I'm half expecting all of DR3 to be some gigantic fakeout due to what I see as the biggest elephant in the room:

Why is the blood red in Future and not pink?

I mean, Despair arc had pink blood so it's not like the red blood is a mistake. A conscious decision was made on the part of the animators to make the blood red in Future arc. At this point I'm honestly expecting something dumb like "They were also in a New World Program" to be some answer but I don't even know how a conclusion would be made out of that, much less a good reason for it.

• Locked thread