Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slim Pickens posted:

drat thing won't move, and it's already cheaper than comparable bikes. Guess I gotta knock it down some more :sigh:

i blame your area, too many tech yuppies hopping on brand new ducs from sea/bellevue ducati

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

I would if I could, mang. I just don't have the cash at the moment.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
How bad of an idea is this?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5796806314.html

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
you tell me https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5762132010.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That doesn't seem like a deal or anything. They retail for $8600 and that one is 9 years old. $6000 has to be a joke.

The way, the truth, and the light.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 26, 2016

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Early shivers also had some issues; forgot the specifics but it took a few years for aprilia to sort out. I wouldn't bother either especially at that price.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

That's a loving ridiculous price for the worst year of the Shiver in the worst colour. If you want one look for an 09 or later (upgraded suspension) or preferably a 12 or later (reprofiled cams, even more upgraded suspension, better brakes). If it's 10 or earlier make sure it's had the clutch springs replaced.

Angryboot posted:

Early shivers also had some issues; forgot the specifics but it took a few years for aprilia to sort out. I wouldn't bother either especially at that price.

Nothing terminal. The worst model-specific vice is that the clutch springs were a bit brittle - if you got a bad one it could fail and make the clutch slip, but in a subtle enough way that you could warp the plates before you noticed requiring the whole thing to be rebuilt. Ones from the 2010MY onwards are drop-in replacements and much more robust.

The other common problems are MAF sensor failures and the fan motor burning out really easily - those are off-the-shelf bits from Germany and France that appear on dozens of other bikes though so can't really be blamed on Aprilia.

The most maddening problem is that for reasons known only to themselves Aprilia don't sell the brake caliper dust seals as individual components, if you get a seized piston you either have to replace the entire caliper or use a third-party replacement.

e: Also make sure it's seen an Aprilia dealer at some point after 2012 to get the patch that fixes the cold-start problem that for some reason is so bloody hilarious to certain posters here.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah okay. Thought there were some starter failing issues with that batch.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
No mileage listed and the price is low, so either it's got a ton of miles or it's a scam, but I sent a message to see what I get anyway. Reverse image search didn't turn up anything, so who knows.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/5795319836.html

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Holy cow that is a good looking strada.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angryboot posted:

Ah okay. Thought there were some starter failing issues with that batch.

There was a big noise about the solenoid jamming on and it was received wisdom for years you had to know exactly where the fuse to pull was to avoid it lunching the sprag and starter when it inevitably happened (ignoring that hitting the kill switch would also "fix" it) but AFAICT it was only the first few thousand (MY07) bikes it affected and was common enough that they're all long since replaced.

e: The amount of people who claim they never noticed and managed to destroy their starter is ridiculous, by the way - if you've ever heard the noise a stuck starter motor makes there's no loving way you'd ever try and ride with it in that state. The majority were probably people who only rode ten miles a year and assumed because it wouldn't fire up first time after being parked from September to May that it must have been that.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Holy cow that is a good looking strada.

The ad for that WR250X an hour or so away aged off of CL :( Hopefully he reposts it

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

The ad for that WR250X an hour or so away aged off of CL :( Hopefully he reposts it

The bike just sold. I bought the bike from a motocross racer, then just sold the bike to a motocross racer. I'm glad went to a good home and a good dude.

.........And now I have the money for the 2015 Ducati Hypermotard SP I've been saving for. Good lord, I can not wait.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jazzzzz posted:

No mileage listed and the price is low, so either it's got a ton of miles or it's a scam, but I sent a message to see what I get anyway. Reverse image search didn't turn up anything, so who knows.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/5795319836.html

It doesn't read like a scam. I'd say he's got a lot of miles on it and is probably sick of replacing the electronic Ohlins doodads every other year.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

That doesn't seem like a deal or anything. They retail for $8600 and that one is 9 years old. $6000 has to be a joke.

b...but it comes with a helmet and jacket and gloves though!
I agree though, I thought it was crack pipe price.

Honestly I don't want something without fairings unless it's a supermoto.

Edit: I found more crackpipe!

"Fully loaded. Trust me."

loaded with horseshit and stickers maybe.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 27, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

The bike just sold. I bought the bike from a motocross racer, then just sold the bike to a motocross racer. I'm glad went to a good home and a good dude.

.........And now I have the money for the 2015 Ducati Hypermotard SP I've been saving for. Good lord, I can not wait.

post pics, those things are gorgeous

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

loaded with horseshit and stickers maybe.

That would be a great deal on a 2015 with no miles. But it does have a Mugello sticker! FAST

...And now I have the money for the 2015 Ducati Hypermotard SP

I want to see pics too

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I think never buy a vehicle with a Monster energy sticker on it is a good approach.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I think never buy a vehicle with a Monster energy sticker on it is a good approach.

It's a good policy for all objects, not to mention choosing people to talk to.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

It doesn't read like a scam. I'd say he's got a lot of miles on it and is probably sick of replacing the electronic Ohlins doodads every other year.

31k miles, needs the 30k service including valves, belts, gaskets, plugs, fluids. Price for that service, assuming nothing extra crops up, varies between $700 and $900 depending on the dealer/service department.

Think I may bide my time and see what else pops up

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
gently caress it dude go for it, that generation of multi is pretty solid. For 8.5k all in you probably can't go wrong.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah if it just needs a standard service, that seems like a decent deal.

I'm pretty skeptical about the Ohlins electronic parts though. It's a cool setup but they plagued the early 1200s with suspension failures and Duc quickly replaced it with their own Skyhook system.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah if it just needs a standard service, that seems like a decent deal.

I'm pretty skeptical about the Ohlins electronic parts though. It's a cool setup but they plagued the early 1200s with suspension failures and Duc quickly replaced it with their own Skyhook system.

Me too. There is no Duc dealer inside an hour's drive and I don't own a trailer, which also has me a bit iffy about it.

In other news, one of the former Japanese-only dealers 5 miles from my house just snagged someone's KTM license though, and they have a 2015 Super Adventure on the floor AND one of the new SDGTs. Saw one of the 1190s on the road the other day and it looked pretty damned good, so I may go see what kind of end-of-season deal they'd cut to make room for more dirt bikes and quads.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a good policy for all objects, not to mention choosing people to talk to.

Even more than you may realize:
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/energy-drinks-may-give-you-wings-but-also-a-dui-even-without-alcohol/

(tl;dr: scientific study finds that people that consume excessive amounts of energy drinks are more likely to commit DUIs - and probably do other dumb poo poo as well)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's some baller clickbait.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

post pics, those things are gorgeous

All I have is a lovely cellphone photo for now. Once I get an exhaust and take care of the tail thing I'll take some proper photos like I did with the WR.

Brought it home today. Bought it at MotoCorsa off of the used lot, a 2015 with 3500 miles, I got it out the door for $11,200. Seems legit considering how much these cost new. Also came with Pilot Road 4 tires, factory heated grips, a different, flatter factory seat, and new oil. I put about 200 miles on it today. I absolutely love it.

I paid cash money for the bike, if you go to MotoCorsa's facebook page there is a boomerang of me spraying the salesperson with $100s while he lays in front of the bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Even more than you may realize:
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/energy-drinks-may-give-you-wings-but-also-a-dui-even-without-alcohol/

(tl;dr: scientific study finds that people that consume excessive amounts of energy drinks are more likely to commit DUIs - and probably do other dumb poo poo as well)

I do actually drink a ridiculous amount of energy drinks, but I have never felt the need to plaster that fact over things I own. I am also a Responsible Road User, and I suspect the problem here isn't caffeine but the kind of complete loving idiot that thinks their choice of fizzy sugar water defines their personality and lifestyle.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If I was going to rep for any energy drink it would be Redbull. They're in F1, they sponsor crazy vehicles and motor events, and they were in WipEout. Yeah, Redbull. Plus they pair well with Tito's Handmade Vodka.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

if you go to MotoCorsa's facebook page there is a boomerang of me spraying the salesperson with $100s while he lays in front of the bike.

:aaaaa: You weren't kidding holy hell that's awesome. Best dealer, no wonder they are #1. How did that come about?!

Beautiful bike. Makes my heart go pitter pat. Please post more pictures and maybe video of you popping sweet wheelies.

Coredump posted:

If I was going to rep for any energy drink it would be Redbull. They're in F1, they sponsor crazy vehicles and motor events, and they were in WipEout. Yeah, Redbull. Plus they pair well with Tito's Handmade Vodka.

I'm a pretty die hard Monster Rehab fan, but lately Redbull has gotten me with their green summer flavor, and the blueberry. Plus, it seems to boost me up more than the higher caffiene content rehab (probably the sugar).

As a company, they sponsor lots more cool stuff, some of it that actually helps humanity, and their fans aren't rabid reprobates that poorly place brand stickers over everything.

Last night I passed on a craigslist macbook because it had a monster sticker on it. The rule runs true.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/5752370654.html

Am I missing something here?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I do actually drink a ridiculous amount of energy drinks, but I have never felt the need to plaster that fact over things I own. I am also a Responsible Road User, and I suspect the problem here isn't caffeine but the kind of complete loving idiot that thinks their choice of fizzy sugar water defines their personality and lifestyle.

:ssh: it seems pretty obvious that the researchers believe the connection is a cultural one. As in, American College kids who chug energy drinks on the reg are, as a group, massive retards who make retard choices like driving drunk (drink driving, I believe they call it in Hot Fuzz).

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

All I have is a lovely cellphone photo for now. Once I get an exhaust and take care of the tail thing I'll take some proper photos like I did with the WR.

Brought it home today. Bought it at MotoCorsa off of the used lot, a 2015 with 3500 miles, I got it out the door for $11,200. Seems legit considering how much these cost new. Also came with Pilot Road 4 tires, factory heated grips, a different, flatter factory seat, and new oil. I put about 200 miles on it today. I absolutely love it.

I paid cash money for the bike, if you go to MotoCorsa's facebook page there is a boomerang of me spraying the salesperson with $100s while he lays in front of the bike.

so pretty, one day i'll own a brand new duc

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

so pretty, one day i'll own a brand new duc

A brand new Duke.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

I'm not an expert on bike suspension, but single offset rear shock does not look like a good idea.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Nitrox posted:

I'm not an expert on bike suspension, but single offset rear shock does not look like a good idea.

I'd agree with you but the k100 came with a single offset rear shock.

That being said, are k100's turds? The price with what the bike looks like tells me there's something wrong I am not seeing.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

never mind

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

McStephenson posted:

That being said, are k100's turds? The price with what the bike looks like tells me there's something wrong I am not seeing.

Mileage?

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Not sure but after digging around a bit I'm 85% sure it is a copy paste scam from a bike shop in Austin, TX.

Oh welllllllll

edit: the seller responded with a coherent, knowledgeable email. The intrigue continues!

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 29, 2016

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

McStephenson posted:

Yeah that's stock. It works fine.

quote:

That being said, are k100's turds?
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nitrox posted:

A bunch of bikes do it now. The Ninja 650s and a number of Ducatis come to mind.

Of course, they're more of the monoshock design where the shock is mounted well forwards of the wheel, not back like an old cradle frame. I suppose as long as the swingarm and its mount are good and rigid, though, it doesn't really matter where the spring goes.