Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Steakandchips posted:

Agreed. I have a 3 month wait for the m1....

How does ordering the M1 work anyway? The Ncase site says now orders made before 23/9 will ship on 27/9 etc, but at the same time people are also saying they have been waiting quite a while for their orders. I'm looking to build a mITX PC, just not right at this moment, but if the wait is 3+ months, then I figure I might as well order ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Mine shipped around the time they said it'd ship, which was a month and a bit after I placed the order. Just remember it takes about 4-7 days from shipping to arrive. They quite clearly do it in batches from their factory/QC process in asia and it depends on the number of orders depending on which batch you're gonna be getting.
[edit] although I remember getting an email saying it was ready to be shipped, then a week or two later I got an email from some delivery service(?) saying it had shipped, then it arrived like a day later. Weird email schedule.

tuna fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 10, 2016

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

The ASRock is probably better in the abstract, but you need to look at the features your specific use case calls for. Bookmark this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1saNUPX6ycN20R1Yu_lNDPpowTfVwmrQiwHYVNAoZenw/edit#gid=0

For example, I doubt you care at all about 6 SATA ports instead of 4, but you might care about having a Type-C USB port (ASRock) vs. having Bluetooth 4.1 support (Asus).

I settled on that Asrock board due to the USB C port. Only two boards have a USB C port at the moment.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Shanghaied posted:

How does ordering the M1 work anyway? The Ncase site says now orders made before 23/9 will ship on 27/9 etc, but at the same time people are also saying they have been waiting quite a while for their orders. I'm looking to build a mITX PC, just not right at this moment, but if the wait is 3+ months, then I figure I might as well order ASAP.

I'll let you know when my m1 arrives.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Shanghaied posted:

I got one earlier this year, shipped when they said it would, everything went fine. Their dates and estimates were all correct, the biggest problem was my impatience.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Does anyone know how to find how much power a USB Type-C port will actually deliver? The ASRock Fatal1ty ITX/ac specifications list that its type-C port will deliver 3A, but it doesn't say at what voltages. Does this imply that it will deliver 3 amps at all specified voltages (thus, up to 60 W at 20 V)? Or are they being weaselly shits about this and the board only supports 5V or 12V?

edit: Yes, I've googled this, and every single result is a press release stating that type-C supports "up to" 5A and 20V, I just want to know if anyone has done homework to find real numbers, or has some inside scoop, or has some resource I can look at where I can find real-world information.

lock stock and Cheryl fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 10, 2016

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Hmm looks like I might just order before the 23rd then...

I'm also looking at the ASrock z170 itx/ac. I've always been an Asus guy, but feature-wise the ASRock seems a better choice. Although the reviews on Newegg for example is a bit mixed. Anyone has any personal experience with the board that they are willing to share?

What do people actually use the type-c port for anyway? I have one on my phone and another on my laptop but I've never used them for anything besides charging my phone. Do all USB-C ports support things like VGA and DP?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

Do all USB-C ports support things like VGA and DP?
I think the only mandatory thing is...USB. Power delivery (the high power spec for charging laptops and stuff), video outputs, PCIe, Thunderbolt, etc (i.e. alt modes) are optional. The alt modes basically switch the protocol and use USB as a dumb/agnostic port/cable for potentially anything.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ncase M1 chat. Ordered July 1st, got it around August 10th.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I completed my I5 6500 and reference GTX 1060 in a RVZ-02 build a couple weeks ago and this thing slays. Running Overwatch maxed out with the frame rate capped at 75 and the GPU maybe hits 73C from time to time. Looks like my temp concerns were overblown.

Also it's astonishingly quiet, I'm really happy with this build. Cable management was a little touch and go but I doubt I'll ever go back to a standard sized tower.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Quite A Tool posted:

I completed my I5 6500 and reference GTX 1060 in a RVZ-02 build a couple weeks ago and this thing slays. Running Overwatch maxed out with the frame rate capped at 75 and the GPU maybe hits 73C from time to time. Looks like my temp concerns were overblown.

Also it's astonishingly quiet, I'm really happy with this build. Cable management was a little touch and go but I doubt I'll ever go back to a standard sized tower.

Nice, what did you do for cooling?

reL
May 20, 2007

beepsandboops posted:

This is my question. I impulse bought a Node 202 a while back and have yet to rebuild my gaming machine into it (which I plan to do), however I've had some buyers remorse as I've realized the degree in which I'd be constrained with my cooling options. This is stupidly obvious in hindsight.

I've been considering utilizing it for an HTPC or workstation build and going with an Ncase M1 (or something similar) when I move on to my gaming pc build, but if it can handle high/top end components without tons of heat I may reconsider.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I have a 1080 with an open-style cooler (Asus Strix OC) that I'd like to eventually shove into an M1 build. How much am I going to regret that? Are there steps I can take to make it not turn into a toaster? Never worked with a case that small.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If you could get a nice cooler for your CPU you'd probably be fairly well off. This guy did similar:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/4pvk4r/build_complete_asus_strix_1080_fits_in_the_ncase/

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

beepsandboops posted:

I went with the Silverstone AR-06. The case itself doesn't support fans, but I went with the one with the removable dust covers and not the clear sides.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just over a year ago, I built myself a new PC with a Node 304 case and I'm really loving the small form factor. 4690K + 980Ti inside it, with a 1440p 144Hz IPS screen + 1080p secondary monitor in portrait.

Definitely sticking with this form factor in the future. :)

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
multi GPU for games is really edge case, and with that, the need for full size and mid size towers are edge case as well.
because of the smart phone, almost all the R&D in chip design over the last 5 years is not toward raw power, but performace per watt. My Sandy Bridge i5-2500 (non-k) at 3.3Ghz is still totally fine for my 1080p needs, and my Fractal R3 from 5 years ago gives it room to breathe and stay cool/quiet at the same time, but there is soooo much empty space inside my box.

More efficient CPUs, single card GPU practicality, SSDs (and even m.2 blade SSDs!) over big noisy, hot platter drives, obsolescence of optical drives. It's a beautiful world.

My goal with my next build is to go from my current 47L 1080p/60 box to a 4k/60 box in less than half the size of the R3. If my 970 can hold out until the 1180ti or 1280 come along, that should be possible. At this point, I've narrowed my options to a Node 304 if I build it myself or a Falcon NW fragbox if I end up buying a pre-built.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone else have success in finding another case that fits inside of a Pelican 1510 besides the Silverstone Sugo 13B? Going to two Dreamhack's in 2017 and want to build a new machine, I know the S13B fits but before I jumped all over it was just curious if anyone has done anything like that before.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Getting a 1070 for my skylake nano s build today :getin:

Feels cool to have so much power in a computer this small

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Almost wish I had gone with the windowed model. Near total silence is nice though!

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Does anyone have a link to that super handy picture that had silhouettes of a bunch of popular ITX cases for size comparison purposes?

edit: never mind, found it a couple pages back

I looked at a couple cases at Microcenter yesterday. I wish NXZT made a practical ITX case; the manta is lol huge. Probably end up going with the Fractal Nano but even that is a little bigger than what I'd like.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 26, 2016

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Shanghaied posted:

I'm also looking at the ASrock z170 itx/ac. I've always been an Asus guy, but feature-wise the ASRock seems a better choice. Although the reviews on Newegg for example is a bit mixed. Anyone has any personal experience with the board that they are willing to share?
Bit late, but no complaints with mine. Mild OC to 4.2Ghz on a 6600K at stock volts, a Mini 1070, and an ATX PSU in a NCASE. All fan headers are PWM and can have a custom fan curve set in UEFI settings which is nice (though you can't tie to GPU there, but I think that always needs to be done in software).

EDIT: To be clear, comments are regarding the ASRock Gaming ITX like the previous posters, not the "base" one (but that one doesn't have Type-C so...probably you're asking about the Gaming).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 27, 2016

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
So I'm looking to build a mini-ITX machine to replace my six-year old ATX beast, but the last machine I've built entirely from scratch was that one, so I'm out of the loop on what mini-ITX can do these days.

I'm rather taken with the form factor of the Node 202 and RVZ02, but I wanted to go with a i5 6600K/GTX 1070 build with a little overclocking. The reviews I've found are kind of mixed on whether or not it'll actually work out alright, but I'm not sure exactly how much cooler the current generation of parts runs compared to the previous gen stuff most reviewers stuck in them when those cases came out.

If cooling is actually a concern, would one of those acctually suffice, or should I instead focus on a slightly larger case like the Fractal Core 500 or the Define Nano S that'll allow me to utilize a full-sized CPU cooler and provide enough slots for fans? The Ncase M1 looks basically perfect, but I'm having trouble justifying three times the cost over the other cases I've been looking at.

Baldrash fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 27, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Baldrash posted:

So I'm looking to build a mini-ITX machine to replace my six-year old ATX beast, but the last machine I've built entirely from scratch was that one, so I'm out of the loop on what mini-ITX can do these days.

I'm rather taken with the form factor of the Node 202 and RVZ02, but I wanted to go with a i5 6600K/GTX 1070 build with a little overclocking. The reviews I've found are kind of mixed on whether or not it'll actually work out alright, but I'm not sure exactly how much cooler the current generation of parts runs compared to the previous gen stuff most reviewers stuck in them when those cases came out.

If cooling is actually a concern, would one of those acctually suffice, or should I instead focus on a slightly larger case like the Fractal Core 500 or the Define Nano S that'll allow me to utilize a full-sized CPU cooler and provide enough slots for fans? The Ncase M1 looks basically perfect, but I'm having trouble justifying three times the cost over the other cases I've been looking at.
An RVZ01(/ML07/FTZ01) would be almost the same form factor while trading a bit of thickness for fan mounts and cooler clearance. It should also be about the same price.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm glad this thread is here as I'm looking to build a slimline gaming PC to save some desk space. It's been a few years since I last build a computer so I have a few questions about these:

1. I've never bought a motherboard with built in WiFi. Do these tend to work better than PCI or USB solutions? The WiFi in my house is pretty lovely so do they usually come with attachable antennas I can move around? Am I still able to add a USB adapter if I find it doesn't work well?

2. I will probably go for a flat style (are these called HTPC style?) slim case. One that ideally I can stand vertically or horizontally. Do these perform any differently than the chunkier cube like cases as far as temperatures and such go? Should I be careful about having these in an enclosed space like mounted under a desk. Could I put something like an Xbox One on top?

3. I see people here talking about some of these kickstarter cases (A4/M1) which look interesting. Should I also look into those?

4. I don't have a need for a ton of hard drives. Will opt for an SSD and whatever else for extra storage. Any reason I shouldn't use a tiny external drive or laptop drive here?

I'm probably looking at getting an i5-6600 and a GTX 1070 if that help with heat/size.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Baldrash posted:

I'm getting very good temps with the nano s, about 65-70 c for the CPU (overclocked to 4.7 GHZ) and 60-70 c for the 1070, also overclocked to about 2050 mhz, while playing GTA V.

Best part it's dead quiet and has great fan filters.

edit: regarding wifi (post above), the Z170I PRO GAMING has a really good external antenna included, it flips up and has a long cable. very solid board with great uefi and overclocking too

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 27, 2016

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Fists Up posted:

1. I've never bought a motherboard with built in WiFi. Do these tend to work better than PCI or USB solutions? The WiFi in my house is pretty lovely so do they usually come with attachable antennas I can move around? Am I still able to add a USB adapter if I find it doesn't work well?

They typically *work fine*, but are usually low end chips made by ASMedia and Broadcom. Not intended to be user replaceable, but I know with some mobos you can usually swap in a different better Intel card if you don't mind prying the protective shield off and probably voiding your warranty.

For example my Asus Z170I's built in wifi is just an M.2 card under a metal shield that can be pryed off and swapped.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Also antenna attachments are standard, so if the bundled antenna doesn't work well you can replace it. I didn't like the one that came with my asrock mobo (i mean aesthetically, performance was fine) so I got a pair of bunny ears for like 15€. If you have bad reception you can get some humongous ones, perhaps they help.

Some motherboards also have the wifi card mounted on a mini pcie port, so you can upgrade it or replace it if it breaks, although neither scenario is particularly likely.

USB WiFi adapters will always work regardless.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

AEMINAL posted:

I'm getting very good temps with the nano s, about 65-70 c for the CPU (overclocked to 4.7 GHZ) and 60-70 c for the 1070, also overclocked to about 2050 mhz, while playing GTA V.

Best part it's dead quiet and has great fan filters.

edit: regarding wifi (post above), the Z170I PRO GAMING has a really good external antenna included, it flips up and has a long cable. very solid board with great uefi and overclocking too

I just built a system in a Nano S and can't recommend it enough. If you're passionate about getting as small as possible it's not your pick, but if you just think the lingering ATX trend is silly it's a great simple choice that saves you some space while still being stupid easy to work in and shop parts for, and it's quieter than an almost identical build I have in my own R5. The only thing you have to worry about is that the PSU will block one of your GPU fans, so go for a blower or a triple fan. We used a double and it works fine, but the overclock was slightly reduced.

Also seconding the Z170 PRO GAMING nod, that thing blows most mATX options out of the water in terms of practical features, let alone mITX

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I just built a system in a Nano S and can't recommend it enough. If you're passionate about getting as small as possible it's not your pick, but if you just think the lingering ATX trend is silly it's a great simple choice that saves you some space while still being stupid easy to work in and shop parts for, and it's quieter than an almost identical build I have in my own R5. The only thing you have to worry about is that the PSU will block one of your GPU fans, so go for a blower or a triple fan. We used a double and it works fine, but the overclock was slightly reduced.

Also seconding the Z170 PRO GAMING nod, that thing blows most mATX options out of the water in terms of practical features, let alone mITX

I kind of feel like Fractal should have made the Nano S 3-slot, so then you've got an extra bit of space between the GPU and PSU, and you could also freely add a fan controller or some other I/O plate if you so desired, but it of course means extra size.

Actually, better idea: if the PSU could be moved to the front of the case with a power extension to the back, that would also resolve it without changing the size of the case at all.. You could also have floor intakes blowing directly on the GPU that way.

vv My guess is the only reason they don't currently design it that way is because they want to leave the front clear for giant watercooling radiators, but it would be really nice if they supplied the extension cable, a rear plate to cover the PSU hole (with power receptacle) and some mounting holes up front for the PSU so you could decide where you want it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 27, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

HalloKitty posted:

If the PSU could be moved to the front of the case with a power extension to the back, that would also resolve it without changing the size of the case at all.. You could also have floor intakes blowing directly on the GPU that way.

That would be fantastic :swoon: Hopefully manufacturers take note of that trick and we start seeing it in more stuff than just the M1

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SFX power supplies are a wasteland, are there any cool slim chassis that don't use those goddamned things

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

SFX power supplies are a wasteland, are there any cool slim chassis that don't use those goddamned things

We don't need tons of options when the SilverStone offerings are so good and pretty reasonably priced. I use SFX in ITX builds, even when the case supports ATX power supplies, because the savings in internal volume make everything easier and if I decide to rebuild into another case I still have all my options open.

It's not so bad is what I'm saying.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
There's some pretty drat small cases that take ATX power supplies, silverstone SG13 comes to mind. Not slim though, shoebox style. Everything I can think of in a slim style is SFX though.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What don't you like about the current SFX offerings? I have a Corsair SF 450 and love it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

beepsandboops posted:

What don't you like about the current SFX offerings? I have a Corsair SF 450 and love it
Only one vendor worth a poo poo selling small SFX PSUs with any capacity, namely Silverstone.

Given an hour to think about it, I think I should dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed and buy a case that supports SFX-L

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Why exactly do you need capacity in an SFF build again? Throwing a 295X2 in there or something?

You can't exactly SLI in a SFF case, and no single card GPU other that one will push you past 450W. Just wondering what the use case you're thinking of that would require that.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 28, 2016

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Only one vendor worth a poo poo selling small SFX PSUs with any capacity, namely Silverstone.

Given an hour to think about it, I think I should dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed and buy a case that supports SFX-L

Going to have to second the SF450, I have one and I have never once heard the fan spin up. SF 600 not as good, but unless you're going with an HD PLEX 250W with a Brick you can't beat the semi-fanless mode on the SF450

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah, especially since Corsair SFX rates higher on johnny guru than silver stone, you have at least two vendors. Lian Li is coming in with a 750w that is the same OEM as Silverstone 800w as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The rvz01-e is a slim-ish revision that will fit a full size psu while sacrificing your 3.5" and optical drives.

However, you literally can't have a slim computer that takes an ATX power supply when the case is smaller in one dimension than ATX power supplies are.