Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Vicissitude posted:

Yeah, Tilly has a modicum of magical talent and he got the supernatural shoved in his face hard. I'd like to think that he brings Murphy in after an extensive personal investigation into the strange things that get reported. Not full on X-Files and Mulder levels of obsession, but a calculated piecing together of facts that don't add up. He knows her already, and he knows that she's telling the truth about the stuff that slips through the cracks. Getting her in place with the FBI, even if it is a "rebound career" would be a good deal of increased power and effectiveness. Hell, with the Paranet she's got her own network of informants to bring in.

I do think that the government is aware of all this stuff on some level. Even if it's just stories passed down through special ops units, or some deep dark group in the CIA or something like that. Even if they don't make a huge stink about it, the government probably has something in place for dealing with the supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Or they're owned by the white 'diverted an aircraft carrier for kicks' court.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

seaborgium posted:

I do think that the government is aware of all this stuff on some level. Even if it's just stories passed down through special ops units, or some deep dark group in the CIA or something like that. Even if they don't make a huge stink about it, the government probably has something in place for dealing with the supernatural.

In a lot of these series where the supernatural exists but it's kept secret from the muggles, the muggle authorities almost always know something. Usually they have some secret faction that's there to set up countermeasures (which the magic people often seem to know even less about than your average muggle knows about magic) against the weird stuff that exists, e.g. the Initiative in Buffy.

Even in Harry Potter, the Minister of Magic consults with the British Prime Minister.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

IIRC, there was a Word of Jim about the Library of Congress and the Special Collections Department.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

Tunicate posted:

dresden comes in and beats up bullies 42 HG2G for the win!!!!

I agree that there is no way in the universe that it is worth the $$$$ that a used copy of "Working for Bigfoot" goes for on Amazon at the moment, but I found that there is an audiobook version that came out late last year and downloaded it over the weekend with a spare audible credit. The 3 stories lasted about 4 hours, with good production values. That felt like just about the right value for money, and it is useful in understanding Harry's occasional references to Bigfoot scattered throughout the series.

gerg_861 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 27, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that physical collection of Bigfoot stories was some kind of super limited edition thing. Presumably they'll be included in the eventual Side Jobs sequel though.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, that physical collection of Bigfoot stories was some kind of super limited edition thing. Presumably they'll be included in the eventual Side Jobs sequel though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that one was limited-run, hard-bound and illustrated or something?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blasphemeral posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that one was limited-run, hard-bound and illustrated or something?

Nope. It was also a Kindle Edition in one of the Humble Book Bundle things.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

You can get Working for Bigfoot from the library if you don't mind waiting a bit.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Wade Wilson posted:

Nope. It was also a Kindle Edition in one of the Humble Book Bundle things.

I think I got it for like 7 bucks on a Nook, I would have preferred it cheaper but it wasn't the worst price for a book.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I know I'm a but late for Mirror Mirror talk, but I think it would be the most Dresden thing ever if we got to see a conversation between our Harry and his goateed twin, where they get into a legitimate argument over whether it's an Evil Twin Goatee or a Jedi Master Beard with the determination of who's who depending solely on this criteria.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I bet Evil Harry looks like his subconscious, and Evil Harry's subconscious looks like him. Oh, and Evil Harry wears a hat.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Oh, and Evil Harry wears a hat.

The reveal is that every book cover with Harry in a hat has been of Evil Harry. :ms:

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Evil Harry is actually a reanimated Tyrannosaurus Rex. Wearing a hat. When asked how he managed to squeeze through the portal he will respond "parkour, bitch."

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
In the last bit of Grave Peril, Harry goes on about his choice to burn Bianca's garden into a hell hole. Really labouring over it because of the deaths it caused and he has a little meltdown over it. I don't know, it just stuck out to me how it got hammered home.

So yeah, maybe Vampire Harry in Mirror Mirror?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The idea that's intrigued me ever since I heard about the whole Mirror Harry thing is that of a version of Harry who had fewer mortal connections and was in tighter with the White Council. I was thinking that the pivotal moment might have been something prior to the start of the series, but I think it would work well if he elected to sacrifice Susan rather than start a war with the Red Court. He cuts himself off from his friends, he retreats into the Council, and becomes a more conventional (if still outspoken...he's still Harry) wizard but without all his alliances and friendships later on. He basically becomes a member of the Establishment.

Not evil, as such, but everything our Harry would hate, and I think that would make for a much more interesting conflict. E. Especially if Mirror Harry ended up as Ebenezar's successor to the Blackstaff.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
ESW: Yes! I was going to ask, because at the end of Skin Game we have Maggie, who is so precious, and Mouse (who is so gigantic), and now Harry kind of seems to be settling into his role as a dad. What’s going on, is she still with the Carpenters?

JB: The way that Harry’s going to set it up is, he’s going to keep Maggie all summer. During the school year, she’s going to go to a boarding school in town, St. Marks Academy for the Gifted and Talented; it’s sort of where the supernatural folks all send their kids. And my intention is, in the next few years I’m going to write kind of a young adult series about Maggie Dresden at the Academy. She’ll be there with Mouse; because she seriously does have all kinds of problems and issues that are challenges for her. She’s got bad social anxiety; she’s got several phobias – which are understandable given her past.

http://www.comicmix.com/2016/09/26/emily-s-whitten-dresden-files-jim-butcher-talks-peace-talks/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's extremely difficult for me to imagine Harry Dresden being okay sending his daughter to "the place where all the supernatural people go!"

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Megazver posted:

..JB:...St. Marks Academy for the Gifted and Talented; it’s sort of where the supernatural folks all send their kids...

:rolleyes: :psypop:

That sounds so stupid.
It's established already that no such institution exists. The White Council doesn't have time to go around finding and training new wizards. If such a school existed, they could just go there.

Unless it's some new Paranet thing that's got like 40 kids or something, it's gonna be dumb.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He didn't specify 'wizards'.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Maggie Dresden and the sorcerer's stone

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Maggie Dresden and the half-blood incubus

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blasphemeral posted:

:rolleyes: :psypop:

That sounds so stupid.
It's established already that no such institution exists. The White Council doesn't have time to go around finding and training new wizards. If such a school existed, they could just go there.

Unless it's some new Paranet thing that's got like 40 kids or something, it's gonna be dumb.

The only thing even remotely close that I could think of was the weirdo school community that Bigfoot's kid went to that had young svartalves and white court vamps and other creatures going to it.

Not a White Council thing, but not entirely out of the range of things that have been referenced before either (and given the Svartavle/White Court angle, you might could understand why the White Council would steer clear of it).

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

...Not a White Council thing, but not entirely out of the range of things that have been referenced before either (and given the Svartavle/White Court angle, you might could understand why the White Council would steer clear of it).

Then why would Harry send his daughter there? It strains credibility.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harry Dresden is unironically the kind of dude who would think his kid needs to be homeschooled even if magic bullshit wasn't involved.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Harry Dresden is unironically the kind of dude who would think his kid needs to be homeschooled even if magic bullshit wasn't involved.

He's also the kind of dude who could be talked into understanding that he's not up to this particular challenge, especially if it's veteran parents Michael and Charity Carpenter doing the talking.

Though yeah, I'd bet the ink isn't exactly dry on the school's charter. It being something organized by the Paranet/whatever's left of the Fellowship of St. Giles/etc. would make a certain amount of sense.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

docbeard posted:

He's also the kind of dude who could be talked into understanding that he's not up to this particular challenge, especially if it's veteran parents Michael and Charity Carpenter doing the talking.

Though yeah, I'd bet the ink isn't exactly dry on the school's charter. It being something organized by the Paranet/whatever's left of the Fellowship of St. Giles/etc. would make a certain amount of sense.

Yeah, and we've seen a ton of young adult supernaturals running around in the series. Changelings, Vampires, the various flavors of werewolves, paranetters... starting a fairly 'normal' school that caters to that community wouldn't really be out of the question. Especially since everyone's freaking out about the Formor picking people off, I can see them wanting to pool their children under mutual protection.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blasphemeral posted:

Then why would Harry send his daughter there? It strains credibility.

Because Harry has been a big supporter of the White Council's community outreach programs.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I can't think of a scenario where any form of critter would want their child anywhere near Harry Dresden, or his kid. Can you imagine how many fire drills they'd have every year? I hope Jim's next Dresden universe book series isn't some YA stuff, or White Court, or something like that.

Finished up Skin Game. One thing that kind of made me wonder was when Michael commented that a Hecate statue had a face that looked like Molly's. Did it always look like her, or did it change when she did? It is a shame that the book didn't have a better payoff on the heist elements or the finale, because it had a fair share of fun moments and dialogue.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I can't think of a scenario where any form of critter would want their child anywhere near Harry Dresden, or his kid. Can you imagine how many fire drills they'd have every year? I hope Jim's next Dresden universe book series isn't some YA stuff, or White Court, or something like that.

Finished up Skin Game. One thing that kind of made me wonder was when Michael commented that a Hecate statue had a face that looked like Molly's. Did it always look like her, or did it change when she did? It is a shame that the book didn't have a better payoff on the heist elements or the finale, because it had a fair share of fun moments and dialogue.

Its definitely implied to have changed when Molly took the Mantle. Harry notices it first and kinda freaks out a little internally and tries to distract Michael from it

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Zore posted:

Its definitely implied to have changed when Molly took the Mantle. Harry notices it first and kinda freaks out a little internally and tries to distract Michael from it

I think it's more of the opposite - it's been awhile since I've read Skin Game, but the statue was of the triple goddess and Michael was referring to the maiden, right? It's mentioned in Cold Days that Lily was virtually indistinguishable from Aurora, which implies that the Ladies eventually lose their mortal appearance, which means that Molly will eventually look like Maeve. My guess is that there's a connection between Hecate and the Faerie Queens, similar to Kringle/Odin.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 27, 2016

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Maggie Dresden and the prisoner of alcatraz

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Maggie Dresden and the Goblet was On Fire and it Wasn't My Fault

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Given the name of the school it sounds more like X-Men had a baby with Harry Potter.

I trust Butcher but that doesn't sound at all appealing to me.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
why is everything of importance located in chicago??

maggie dresden and the order of the alphas

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Up Circle posted:

why is everything of importance located in chicago??

maggie dresden and the order of the alphas

Well, it's the city Butcher is super-familiar wit---waaait no it isn't.

(For reals, though, it is a huge transportation hub -- air, water, and rail -- so it makes sense as a city where various supernaturals who have to travel by different means would find it convenient to get together. Also, centrally located.)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Pretty sure that Dresden talks multiple times in multiple books about how Chicago is just a poo poo hole nexus.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Yeah, probably because the Nevernever reshapes itself to the mortal world. Since Chicago is such a huge crossroads, it stands to reason the supernatural mirror of it would be the same way.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mortanis posted:

I trust Butcher but that doesn't sound at all appealing to me.

I'm kind of hoping it is something about the Knights of the Cross. I would be interested in seeing how Michael became Michael, or even some unfamiliar knights doing knightly stuff. A book about Fae stuff could also be pretty fun. A book about the Black Cat Squad would also float my boat.

Vicissitude posted:

Maggie Dresden and the Goblet was On Fire and it Wasn't My Fault

Maggie Dresden and the Darkly Hallows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vicissitude posted: