Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Supremezero posted:

At the same time. Zero starts slightly before Cold Steel, and Ao ends a few days before CS2 does, though Ao's epilogue goes a fair ways into the future past that. A lot of events get shown (in a manner of speaking; It's mostly references) from both countries perspectives. For example, people who played Zero/Ao already knew parts of how CS1 and 2 end, more or less *CS1 Spoilers!* Osborne's death and the civil war starting at the end of 1, and *CS2 SPOILERS* Osborne's faction winning the civil war.

Perhaps most importantly, the Ao epilogue also states that Crossbell will be liberated from Erebonia by 1207.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I haven't finished Part 2 yet, but is there ever an explanation for why Crow gets a free pass on all the poo poo he tried to pull in CS1? It seems like Team Courageous is waiting on Rean to go do a big robot battle so they can have an intervention and then reunite with Crow with joyful hugs. It's kind of a jarring disconnect from their reactions to the ILF in the first game, and to Duke Albarea in this one.

Game's still been great so far, though. That's my only real beef, apart from having waaay too many no-sell fights.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 26, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Really Pants posted:

I haven't finished Part 2 yet, but is there ever an explanation for why Crow gets a free pass on all the poo poo he tried to pull in CS1? It seems like Team Courageous is waiting on Rean to go do a big robot battle so they can have an intervention and then reunite with Crow with joyful hugs. It's kind of a jarring disconnect from their reactions to the ILF in the first game, and to Duke Albarea in this one.

Game's still been great so far, though. That's my only real beef, apart from having waaay too many no-sell fights.

It bothered me a lot throughout the game as well. I think a big part of it is them being in denial. Anyway I don't think I can fairly answer your question except to say that I think the game deals with it well in the end.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Probably because Crowe's whole tragic past deal is supposed to give you a reason to sympathize with his actions if not the whole CLASS SEVEN thing doesn't do anything for you.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Really Pants posted:

He pretty much doesn't. Some people note that if he's caught, he's probably going to prison, minimum. It's just Class VII's optimism at work that makes them think everything'll work out.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Started Cold Steel 2 recently, and I'm glad to see everyone's bookshelves still contain the venerated classics 'Woo Baby' and 'Christ, Who's Gonna Die First?'. I can only hope a future Trails game will give us the opportunity to actually read them.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

Supremezero posted:

He pretty much doesn't. Some people note that if he's caught, he's probably going to prison, minimum. It's just Class VII's optimism at work that makes them think everything'll work out.

Not just Class VII. Towa and her group essentially say the same. During the scene at Aurochs Fort Towa tells Crow that once Class VII beats him and drags him back to Thors, he'll be on cleaning duty every single day until he graduates. This is despite the fact that Olivier points out to Duke Dunan that if the army coup had happened in Erebonia, he would have been hanged for his part in the whole thing.

One prominent character mentions near the end of the game that "when faced with impossible odds, there's the choice of either laying down and accepting a sad fate or stand against said odds and try to defy them with every means you have, no matter how grim things may seem. Doing the latter is what having a dream is all about.

Class VII's dream is going back to the carefree days before everything went to hell, which translates into two simple objectives: getting all members back together again (including Crow, despite his now public terrorist record) and reclaiming the academy. It's not a particularly realistic dream, since the empire has undergone some radical changes, but without it, they'd be unable to keep going, so they cling to it like a life raft despite all odds. What choice do they have?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how does JDK's music keep getting better this is ridiculous

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trails of cold steel 2:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/763449869143072768

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Cold Steel 2 dlc has dropped.

PS3 version

Vita Version

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can I just say that the phone-covers are kind of the shittiest cosmetic item I've ever seen in a game. I don't get why they make a billion of them and also sell them in-game for tons of money because they're just really crappy cosmetics compared to anything else.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Can I just say that the phone-covers are kind of the shittiest cosmetic item I've ever seen in a game. I don't get why they make a billion of them and also sell them in-game for tons of money because they're just really crappy cosmetics compared to anything else.

Yeah you never even look at them, it's bizarre

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I don't think it actually changes how they look in-game either, like when characters pull them out to take phone calls. It just changes the orbment screen which you see for a like a second every now and again as it flips open.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I kind of want all those outfits, glasses, and Trails in the Sky ride-alongs though

it's me, I'm the sub-diaper

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I got the Arcus covers for CS1 back during its release since I wanted to simply throw some additional money at XSeed, but since they don't even feature unique art, just a copy-paste of the in-game character art, they're not exactly big bang for one's buck, so this time I only got the costumes.

A nice little tidbit about the Trails in the Sky costumes, in the equip menu, Joshua's outfit for Rean is titled "Black Fang" (no surprise there) while Estelle's outfit for Alisa is titled "Shining Sun". Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first official mention of Estelle's semi-nickname in an English localization. I would have been fine with "Hyper Bracer Estelle" too, but I guess Estelle isn't gonna remain the dorky 16-year old she was in the Liberl arc for the rest of the series. :P

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
GOG.com's doing an XSeed sale, if that wasn't already mentioned: https://www.gog.com/promo/20160927_back_to_school_sale_xseed_collection?pp=4d89d294cd4ca9f2ca57dc24a53ffb3ef5303122
  • Trails in the Sky FC $9.99
  • Trails in the Sky SC $19.49
  • Ys I & II Chronicles+ $4.49
  • Ys: The Oath in Felghana $4.49
  • Ys Origin $4.49
  • Ys VI: The Ark of Naphshtim $5.99

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 27, 2016

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I like the idea of the phone covers, but beyond of couple of them I don't really like the rest of them. Though if we ever see Estelle with an orbment that used one, I'd like to think she would have some kind of limited-edition Strega cover.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Should I bother with the hat dlc? I got the casual wear for CS1, but I don't remember seeing any hats that were scene breakers.

Give me tf2 or give me death.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Really Pants posted:

how does JDK's music keep getting better this is ridiculous

I already loved CS1's soundtrack but CS2 really just keeps adding more and more standout tracks and it's quite astonishing.

Severe Blow :allears:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Severe Blow is a good one (and I only just realized that's the Fateful Confrontation riff in there) but so far my top favorites are Awakening Will and Blue Destination

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want a super cut of everytime rean says 'VALIMAR, THE ASHEN KNIGHT' in this game

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of music, I don't expect anyone to be able to help based on this, but in SC Chapter 4 I think, in Rolent when you're investigating thefog, and after you visit the four people who went comatose, you meet in the Bracer guild and this music starts playing that I haven't heard elsewhere. It definitely has a motif I've heard elsewhere but I couldn't say where right now. I searched through all the YouTube songs I could find but no luck.

On my phone or this would be a better post but anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Nevermind, just found it. It was Crushed and Scarred - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4SJO3xwm4

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 28, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The battle music is always insanely good but it's the slightly more subdued tracks that really stood out to me like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lzIG8wSrKg

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOF73vLqKXs

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Speaking of music, I don't expect anyone to be able to help based on this, but in SC Chapter 4 I think, in Rolent when you're investigating thefog, and after you visit the four people who went comatose, you meet in the Bracer guild and this music starts playing that I haven't heard elsewhere. It definitely has a motif I've heard elsewhere but I couldn't say where right now. I searched through all the YouTube songs I could find but no luck.

On my phone or this would be a better post but anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Oh man you are in for a treat when you hit the end of Chapter 4, that and the end of Ch 6 are so emotionally satisfying.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Well, finally got Jusis back.

Duvalie has the best voice actress in the game. I can already tell that she's going to be magical. :allears:

Also, McBurns has whatever it is Rean has? And he's asking if Rean is 'Mixed'? Oh jesus, I thought my friend was kidding when she was calling it Rean's Devil Trigger.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Cold Steel 2 is a fine, fine game but I have one nagging issue with it. From a certain point, the game is all climax for like, way too long. It's exciting but also exhausting. Right now I'm in the (finale chapter spoilers) Infernal Castle and I feel like I haven't had a chance to just breathe for a while. It's like you get bailed out of every major encounter early on so you have to win against every single one of those villains at the same time. I guess if I had to say the game had one problem it would be pacing in general.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Zaggitz posted:

Oh man you are in for a treat when you hit the end of Chapter 4, that and the end of Ch 6 are so emotionally satisfying.

Yeah, I stayed up late to finished chapter 4 last night.

For me it was a little tragic, actually? I guess it wasn't meant that way, given that she got some form of closure with her not-mom and mentioned it being the happiest she's ever been, so I guess if anything it's bittersweet.

The scene of her trying to remember that Whereabouts of Light song on the harmonica was pretty great. :shobon:

And I thought it was interesting that Luci didn't really hurt anyone, as far as I can remember. Obviously working with Ouroboros isn't great and whatever research she's doing can't be good, but I get the implication that she could've just as easily had everyone in a living nightmare, but instead gave everyone a pretty happy dream. And now I'm trying to remember if anyone from Ouroboros has actually killed anyone in SC yet.

Also, dragon out of nowhere.

As an aside, I was looking for something and I managed to find a SC review from someone who hadn't played FC. :downs:

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

As an aside, I was looking for something and I managed to find a SC review from someone who hadn't played FC. :downs:

I, uh, what? :psyduck:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

http://venturebeat.com/2015/11/19/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-second-chapter-review/ I only glossed over it for fear of spoilers, but yeah.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

There were a few of them IIRC, on "professional" review sites. It's not super weird for JRPGs.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It makes sense for Final Fantasy games, but for this game? No way.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I mean I guess I can understand that it might not make that much sense to require someone to invest 90+ hours in a game (FC+SC) so that they can review a JRPG that's not going to sell a million copies but maybe... don't review it, then? :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean I guess I can understand that it might not make that much sense to require someone to invest 90+ hours in a game so that they can review a JRPG but maybe... don't review it, then? :shrug:

"You're only allowed to review something if you're a fan of the series!!" is a bad thing. You absolutely need reviews from people who are not familiar with or fans of the series because in some ways they have a more objective look at the game and that includes how accessible it is to someone who hasn't played the first part. (And "is it okay to only play the second part" is a question that comes up a lot from consumers.)

That may mean they give it a lower rating but that is why Metacritic is lovely. You shouldn't assume all reviewers are approaching from the same direction and informed enthusiast reviews and casual newcomer reviews should BOTH exist.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

let me explain how this decade-old PSP JRPG falls short in comparison to Bloodborne and The Witcher 3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly all their criticisms are things i would agree with to some extent. the quest structure/pacing is a huge pain in the rear end and the game definitely has some fat that could have been cut. And Sky combat is a huge drag. Like I think 57/100 is way too harsh for a game that still tells an excellent story and some of their criticisms of the plot are dumb (Joshua only even really bails the party out once, iunno why you'd act like he's this constant plot device) but it's a fair enough review and review scores are pretty meaningless.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

"You're only allowed to review something if you're a fan of the series!!" is a bad thing.
Didn't say that, and I agree that it is. I do think that while yes, having some info for people considering whether it's okay to start with this game is good, I think that can just as easily be given by someone who has played the first ("If you are at all interested in SC, you should play FC first.").

Like Endorph says, there's not really much of anything that he says that's objectively wrong, but I still think that reviewing a game like FC without playing SC is the equivalent of reviewing the second or third book of a fantasy series without reading the beginning. Especially in the case of SC which starts like 5 hours after FC ends. And personally I would have zero interest in reading such a review, but that's just me.

Unrelated, but I wonder how much the combat in Sky would've been improved by letting you specify which angle you want to attack from, like they have in a lot of TRPGs. Probably not *that* much but it's a drag to have to weigh moving out an impending spell's area of effect and attacking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like Endorph says, there's not really much of anything that he says that's objectively wrong, but I still think that reviewing a game like FC without playing SC is the equivalent of reviewing the second or third book of a fantasy series without reading the beginning.

Reviewers do this all the time. Not every movie reviewer has seen the previous entry in the films, not every book review has read every book. That is something people do, they frequently go into a franchise on the second or third game and having someone who is legitimately reviewing from that standpoint instead of a fan trying to assume what works for non-fans is a good thing.

You have no interest in that review because you're someone already familiar with Trails and it isn't for you.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Fair enough for people unfamiliar with the series to jump in at SC if they've been given it to review - you can't exactly expect them to go play FC first if they simply don't have the time and their alternative is to not cover it at all. However, they'd need to put a pretty big note in their review noting they haven't played FC, because it's drat obvious during SC that knowing all the characters and such from FC is pretty important. You're missing a pretty serious amount of character development, certain twists and character reappearances will mean very little, etc. To not at least note that this probably had a reasonable impact on their enjoyment of the game would be silly.

In Cold Steel 2 news, I've finished act 1, and this whole intermission bit where you go talk to everybody is a great change of pace. Also, Duvalie is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Reviewers do this all the time. Not every movie reviewer has seen the previous entry in the films, not every book review has read every book. That is something people do, they frequently go into a franchise on the second or third game and having someone who is legitimately reviewing from that standpoint instead of a fan trying to assume what works for non-fans is a good thing.

You have no interest in that review because you're someone already familiar with Trails and it isn't for you.

No, I meant that I wouldn't want to read a review for the second book of a series (that I myself have no knowledge of) written by someone who hadn't read the first. Has nothing to do with Trails specifically.

We're just going to disagree here, and I'm not saying you're wrong. Basically if it's something that's plot-heavy, I'm pretty much always going to start at the beginning anyway (especially if they're on the same system, and it isn't something like Metal Gear Solid or whatever), so these "can I start here?" / "what's it like for someone who doesn't know the backstory?" considerations don't affect me much. I realize that that isn't the case for everyone.