Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hey so one of my councillors scrounged up a bunch of "Raiders" but I can flag them as raiders, what gives?

edit: also wtf, why are there zero wife options for myself or my sons? Were there no women in 769?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
When you make a Titular Kingdom 2 years into the start and finally after years and years and years it becomes a little one duchy kingdom c:

now to make all of Portugal real

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

idk, I didn't have all that space for icons on the character window yesterday. Something started working right I guess.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bort Bortles posted:

Hey so one of my councillors scrounged up a bunch of "Raiders" but I can flag them as raiders, what gives?

They're automatically flagged as raiders, and the button's disabled because they can't have the flag removed. Move them onto some enemy territory and they'll raid just like normal.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: also wtf, why are there zero wife options for myself or my sons? Were there no women in 769?

The troops you get from that are automatically classified as raiders, so you don't need to toggle the option like you would normally. If you move them into an appropriate county they should start raiding. As for the wife thing, try using the character finder instead of just the little ring icon. That will include a lot more women than would normally be listed as potential wives.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Does anyone know if a map has ever been done for CK2 that worked on a kind of cylindrical world map, like Civ2 style, representing an entire globe? If not, maybe support for that added in would be something that could be added to CK2, the ability to flag a map as connecting on the edges?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Facebook Aunt posted:

If your rear end looks like that font please see your court physician as soon as possible.

I did so, but he just whinnied and ate an apple before cutting off my hand

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

If your rear end looks like that font please see your court physician as soon as possible.

Likewise if you use that font for your CK2 mod. He may not be able to cure your lunacy, but at least there's a good chance he'll cut your dick off.

Which just happened to my 20 year old ruler as a cure for smallpox. Luckily he'd had five kids already (Muslim) including an Attractive Strong son. Then the Black Death came in and the Attractive Strong son caught it.

And survived. :getin:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
What did your court physician cut off from him to cure the plague?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Ok wtf. I have tried to start 4 games now with Ingria, a small county in Finland. Every time the ruler died within the first 3 years. Two times of rabies, one of dysentery and one of the flu. Last time had actually produced an heir, but then one of the former counts of a county I had taken over decided to become an adventurer and take his title back. With 3 times my troops of course.

I think I give up on CKII, too hardcore for me now.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
No, no that sounds like Finland arright, not the most recent patch or anything like that

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Staltran posted:

What did your court physician cut off from him to cure the plague?

Nothing. He's just badass. And pretty.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Am I the last person to realize CK2 is The Sims in a global neighborhood with way more actions and consequences?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

evilmiera posted:

Am I the last person to realize CK2 is The Sims in a global neighborhood with way more actions and consequences?

If only I could remove all the ladders from these vikings' pools. :argh:

e: Devs please implement an assassination where you wait for the target to go swimming and then steal the ladder they'd use to get out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well there's the drowning pit and the wine execution.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

verbal enema posted:

now to make all of Portugal real

Portugal is not real, how dare you insinuate otherwise Sir! :colbert:

It does remind me of the time I took over all of Egypt, The Holy Land and Anatolia as Cyprus...but kept Cyprus as my elective Kingdom to choose all the good heirs!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

kept Cyprus as my elective Kingdom

How does that work? Is that a game mechanic when you're an emperor?

Right now I have 5 kingdoms but no empire so I have to get the same guy to win 5 elections.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I'm playing as Amalfi and have taken over both counties in Crete, but to usurp the duchy while staying within the Byzantine Empire I need a claim on it. Can I still fabricate a claim on the duchy with a highly-skilled chancellor if I own the county he's fabricating in?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tehan posted:

I'm playing as Amalfi and have taken over both counties in Crete, but to usurp the duchy while staying within the Byzantine Empire I need a claim on it. Can I still fabricate a claim on the duchy with a highly-skilled chancellor if I own the county he's fabricating in?

I think you have to be in a county owned by the dude who currently has the title to fabricate a claim on it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Does anyone know if a map has ever been done for CK2 that worked on a kind of cylindrical world map, like Civ2 style, representing an entire globe? If not, maybe support for that added in would be something that could be added to CK2, the ability to flag a map as connecting on the edges?

I don't know if anyone has done that but I think it is theoretically possible - as far as I understand it province definitions in CK2 and other Clauswitz games have a list of connections to other provinces but they don't actually have to be physically adjacent on the map - it's just a big collection of nodes and distances and the pathfinding will figure it out. I don't know if you'd be able to scroll around the map the way you do in the Civ games or HoI/EU, but travel around the map edges should be possible.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah, this kid never really had a chance.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Ruler goes infirm at 60, lives to 80 :suicide:.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've been getting a lot more of rulers that go infirm but then slip out of it and become a lunatic afterwards, though this was before they tweaked the lunatic frequency. It's definitely hosed with my plans because I start being a tyrant as soon as I'm about to die, then it reverses and I end up playing myself like a chump.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know if anyone has done that but I think it is theoretically possible - as far as I understand it province definitions in CK2 and other Clauswitz games have a list of connections to other provinces but they don't actually have to be physically adjacent on the map

I remember there was a mod, I can't remember which one it was, VIET early on or maybe CK2+? This was very early, around The Old Gods, but people started noticing that West Africans kept on taking over Poland or whatever. Turned out somewhere along the way something got hosed with that and there was a portal to the Baltic in Mali because the province numbers got mixed up or something.

evilmiera posted:

My first introduction to Paradox games was a CK1 LP here that described it as The Sims meets Medieval strategy. That was a cool LP, it was one where the LPer was jumping around after completing goals, shame it died. I guess the Old Men Telling Stories LP is kinda a spiritual successor.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Got a situation here. I'm the king of Castille and own most of the Iberian peninsula, and a while back the HRE annoyingly nabbed the kingdom of Aragon before I could stop them. I might have an opportunity to gain Aragon through inheritance, and wanted to check on if that's possible and how to best go about it.

Here's me and my realm

The king of Aragon is this kid Deiter. No kids of his own yet so his heir is some other dude named Heinrich. So if I managed to off Deiter quick enough, Heinrich would inherit Aragon.

Heinrich is married matrilinearly to my half-sister Elvira. She's currently my elected heir but I could change that if needed.

They have a son, Fernando, who's in my dynasty.

Is there any way I can manipulate this situation to add Aragon to my realm? Is there a way for Fernando to inherit both Aragon and Castille?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Pretty sure that if Deiter dies and Heinrich inherits Aragon, then Fernando will become the heir to Aragon. Since Castille is elective and Fernando is of your dynasty, you should be able to nominate him as your heir. If not, once Elvira gets elected SHE should be able to nominate Fernando. Then if she dies before him, he'll inherit Castille.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Maybe use that vast fortune you've stashed away to raise every Mercenary you can, and take what is yours by god given right :jihad:.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

A White Guy posted:

Maybe use that vast fortune you've stashed away to raise every Mercenary you can, and take what is yours by god given right :jihad:.

That's the backup plan.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

Is there any way I can manipulate this situation to add Aragon to my realm? Is there a way for Fernando to inherit both Aragon and Castille?

You'll end up as a vassal of the HRE if you don't form an Empire title before inheriting that King title.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SeaTard posted:

You'll end up as a vassal of the HRE if you don't form an Empire title before inheriting that King title.

I think it depends on the order in which Fernando inherits. Aragon first, he stays a vassal. Castille first, he's independent. Either way, a unified Spain should easily be able to lead an independence revolt.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know if anyone has done that but I think it is theoretically possible - as far as I understand it province definitions in CK2 and other Clauswitz games have a list of connections to other provinces but they don't actually have to be physically adjacent on the map - it's just a big collection of nodes and distances and the pathfinding will figure it out. I don't know if you'd be able to scroll around the map the way you do in the Civ games or HoI/EU, but travel around the map edges should be possible.

Ofaloaf had suggested that even if you connected the two provinces via an adjacency, the game would still have them walk in a shortest path between the two points, which would still be across the map rather than over the edges. The idea was for a society on Mars that has regressed greatly over several hundred years after the destruction of life on Earth. But I'm not sure if it would make much sense to have a Mars map where you can't cross some arbitrary line.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

The idea was for a society on Mars that has regressed greatly over several hundred years after the destruction of life on Earth. But I'm not sure if it would make much sense to have a Mars map where you can't cross some arbitrary line.

Have the entire map contained within the Valles Marineris. Can't find a better natural barrier than that. Plus it's a really interesting terrain feature, and it's been pretty well mapped over the years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Since when was 1300G a vast fortune? You'd be able to maintain 5000 mercenaries for a year, maybe two.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Since when was 1300G a vast fortune? You'd be able to maintain 5000 mercenaries for a year, maybe two.

1300 is a vast fortune for anyone who can't raid or build trade posts.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf had suggested that even if you connected the two provinces via an adjacency, the game would still have them walk in a shortest path between the two points, which would still be across the map rather than over the edges. The idea was for a society on Mars that has regressed greatly over several hundred years after the destruction of life on Earth. But I'm not sure if it would make much sense to have a Mars map where you can't cross some arbitrary line.

This is true but there is a way around it. You can apply a movement modifier to each end province so movement between them is much faster than normal. We did that for Geheimnisnacht with the Skaven Under-Empire, since it's a map inset it would take years to just walk from it to the corresponding surface province on the other side of the map, but adding speed modifiers lets you walk that distance in days/weeks/months.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Consumption absolutely destroyed my family because I was too busy warring for independence from the Byzantine Empire to pay attention and close the gates. By the time I won independence and looked around, I realized that the 'living members' counter had mislead me into thinking I was safe. I had fourteen family members, but only four males: the current Doge in his fifties, a twelve-year-old, an infant bastard, and a monk. :cripes:

Luckily the Doge stuck around long enough for the kid to reach adulthood (and become an indulgent wastrel), and a thousand loving gold later he had become the heir. Now I just have to basically reboot the dynasty with a horde of legitimized bastards. If anyone coughs on this entire loving continent I'm locking down everything.

E: oh god, the kid is chaste :smithicide:

E2: I just chose 'seek an ally among her friends' while seducing one of the eligible bachelorettes in my court and the friend turned out to be his wife :stare:

Tehan fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 28, 2016

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Parallax Scroll posted:

How does that work? Is that a game mechanic when you're an emperor?

Right now I have 5 kingdoms but no empire so I have to get the same guy to win 5 elections.

If you control the entirety of a De Jure Kingdom, but switch it it Agnatic-Cognatic Elective, you control the entireity of the elective process because only Counts and Dukes within the Kingdom get a vote. Essentially, as long as you stay a Kingdom, you can select your own heir. When you switch to an Empire though, all the Dukes and Kings in your De Jure Empire get a vote, which makes this impossible unless you don't make Dukes and instead have a tonne of megacounts. This means you can't create the other Kingdoms you take over as well, so you only have the one Kingdom title.

So basically, if you get a small Kingdom you can completely control (or only allow one other voter in, like a megacount) you control the selection of your heir at a small opinion malus to your vassals. It's a pretty gamey mechanic you can abuse if you want to go tall. It's also why I never form the Empire of Brittania (as an example).

There are loads of small kingdoms like this, off the top of my head...Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Frisia, Brittany, Galicia, Leon, Castille, Navarre, Taurica, Afghanistan, Gujarat etc.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 28, 2016

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

If you control the entirety of a De Jure Kingdom, but switch it it Agnatic-Cognatic Elective, you control the entireity of the elective process because only Counts and Dukes within the Kingdom get a vote. Essentially, as long as you stay a Kingdom, you can select your own heir. When you switch to an Empire though, all the Dukes and Kings in your De Jure Empire get a vote, which makes this impossible unless you don't make Dukes and instead have a tonne of megacounts. This means you can't create the other Kingdoms you take over as well, so you only have the one Kingdom title.

So basically, if you get a small Kingdom you can completely control (or only allow one other voter in, like a megacount) you control the selection of your heir at a small opinion malus to your vassals. It's a pretty gamey mechanic you can abuse if you want to go tall. It's also why I never form the Empire of Brittania (as an example).

There are loads of small kingdoms like this, off the top of my head...Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Frisia, Brittany, Galicia, Leon, Castille, Navarre, Taurica, Afghanistan, Gujarat etc.

OK, most of my kingdoms worked out that way on accident since I haven't created every duchy. In reality I think there's only 2 elections where I don't just get an automatic pick.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dareon posted:

If only I could remove all the ladders from these vikings' pools. :argh:

e: Devs please implement an assassination where you wait for the target to go swimming and then steal the ladder they'd use to get out.

More like walling them in. That was a legitimate thing after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Anyway thanks to everyone who chimed in about possibly inheriting Aragon. I may not end up going that route if Fernando ends up having terrible traits or other opportunities arise, but I'd like to at least set that plan in motion while I can. I'll try to avoid getting vassalized by the HRE, but being a giant HRE vassal's not so bad.

• Locked thread