Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Are birth certificates really issued (a) that long and (b) on lined paper for schoolchildren? and (c) they have to write every single goddamn thing? even birth certificates in the 1800s were mostly pre-printed with little bits to fill in like the date and such.

I mean it's so terrible looking I can only imagine it's real.

Also that writing is almost indecipherable and it reminds me a lot of Maduro's own signature. Maybe he's not illiterate and that's just how Venezuelans learn cursive.

Seriously they hand-write an entire loving page for birth certificates on lovely lined paper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Saladman posted:

Are birth certificates really issued (a) that long and (b) on lined paper for schoolchildren? and (c) they have to write every single goddamn thing? even birth certificates in the 1800s were mostly pre-printed with little bits to fill in like the date and such.

I mean it's so terrible looking I can only imagine it's real.

Also that writing is almost indecipherable and it reminds me a lot of Maduro's own signature. Maybe he's not illiterate and that's just how Venezuelans learn cursive.

Seriously they hand-write an entire loving page for birth certificates on lovely lined paper?

My own birth certificate was typewritten, but that's of course a lot more recent. I've seen my father's birth certificate though and while it was handwritten, it was done a lot more formally, it was also properly stamped by the registry office, it has like 7 different seals on it. Considering that he's around as old as Maduro, perhaps even older, the paper it's written on and the fact it seems to be written in loving pencil is another irregularity.

The length is normal however, these types of documents are deliberately verbose because they repeat themselves over and over.

fnox fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 18, 2016

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Oh yeah, I can confirm that research permits in Latin America are works of art in this regard due to their relentless repetition.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I saw this today, and I initially laughed a little because it reminds me of the Anti-Imperialism thread that got go home ball'd here earlier.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-18/maduro-s-biggest-event-plays-to-handfuls-of-anti-imperialists

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
On Friday, PDVSA offered investors a bond swap worth $7.1 billion from bonds due in 2017 to bonds due in 2020, and put its shares of Citgo up as collateral. Finance isn't my thing, but from what I understand this means that PDVSA told investors, "Remember that money we'd promise to pay you in 2017? Give us til 2020 and we'll make it worth your while". S&P has downgraded PDVSA's rating from CCC to CC (which means "highly vulnerable to nonpayment"), and called the bond swap offer "tantamount to default".

Since Venezuela makes over 90% of its money from oil sales (all of which go through PDVSA), a bankrupt PDVSA means a bankrupt Venezuela.

Kavros posted:

I saw this today, and I initially laughed a little because it reminds me of the Anti-Imperialism thread that got go home ball'd here earlier.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-18/maduro-s-biggest-event-plays-to-handfuls-of-anti-imperialists

The government isn't saying how many heads of state actually showed up, but Henrique Capriles and an opposition deputy have said that no more than 15 showed up. Like the article says, the ones who did show up were the usual suspects: Evo Morales, Rafael Correa, Robert Mugabe, Raul Castro, etc.

It's also really telling that India didn't send her head of state, which is only the second time since 1961 that the country has missed a summit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chuck Boone posted:

On Friday, PDVSA offered investors a bond swap worth $7.1 billion from bonds due in 2017 to bonds due in 2020, and put its shares of Citgo up as collateral.

Does this actually mean anything, given their willingness to nationalise poo poo?

"Here's your shares... and now we're taking them back again."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Lone Badger posted:

Does this actually mean anything, given their willingness to nationalise poo poo?

"Here's your shares... and now we're taking them back again."

I don't think Venezuela can nationalize shares in Citgo, as it's a separate American company that PDVSA currently owns all of. If they sell off huge chunks of it, there's no real means for the Venezuelan government to take them back without consent of the US court system.

Now of course, Venezuela could gently caress with CItgo's operations with their majority share that they'd still have through PDVSA, and that could lower the value of the shares by quite a lot. But they wouldn't be worthless or anything.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

fishmech posted:

Now of course, Venezuela could gently caress with CItgo's operations with their majority share that they'd still have through PDVSA, and that could lower the value of the shares by quite a lot. But they wouldn't be worthless or anything.

From what I read, they actually offered 50.1% as collateral – the problem is they could still saddle it with debt or other such shenanigans long before anyone comes to collect.

Additionally, the bonds due in 2020 would hardly be worth any more than those due in 2017. I'm not sure what the exact interest rate is, but people are basically calling it a 1:1 swap.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
A new Nicolas Casey article in the NYTimes, this time about the oil industry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/21/world/americas/venezuela-oil-economy.html?_r=0

I'm amazed he hasn't been kicked out of the country yet, after coming up on a year of reporting on what a disaster the PSUV's management is.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

fishmech posted:

I don't think Venezuela can nationalize shares in Citgo, as it's a separate American company that PDVSA currently owns all of. If they sell off huge chunks of it, there's no real means for the Venezuelan government to take them back without consent of the US court system.

Interesting. I just assumed that Venezuela didn't own any major assets outside of their own country for risk of getting them seized. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why haven't individuals and companies for whom Venezuela has outstanding debt or that have had assets nationalized in Venezuela gone after Citgo shares in US courts?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I dont know posted:

Interesting. I just assumed that Venezuela didn't own any major assets outside of their own country for risk of getting them seized. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why haven't individuals and companies for whom Venezuela has outstanding debt or that have had assets nationalized in Venezuela gone after Citgo shares in US courts?

Citgo shares don't really exist right now, as the company became 100% owned by PDVSA in 1990. And I don't think you can force a company to create and then give you shares in normal court proceedings to try to punish the company that owns it? Like, the United States could forcibly nationalize the company, and then sell off shares of it, but that would be very unlikely to happen.

Citgo would probably have to go and cause problems for people itself, in order for seizing Citgo assets or ownership to be a viable thing.

Labradoodle posted:

From what I read, they actually offered 50.1% as collateral – the problem is they could still saddle it with debt or other such shenanigans long before anyone comes to collect.

Additionally, the bonds due in 2020 would hardly be worth any more than those due in 2017. I'm not sure what the exact interest rate is, but people are basically calling it a 1:1 swap.

Ah, I didn't realize they were offering a majority share. That'd put Venezuelan ownership below 50% for the first time since 1986.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
A baby in a box!!!

lol this loving country what a shithole

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

El Hefe posted:

A baby in a box!!!

lol this loving country what a shithole
What am I looking a- :stare:

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Apparently, the SEBIN (our version of a secret police corps) already asked some of the doctors from the Anzoategui public hospital where that photo was taken to come in for questioning because, you know, taking pictures that paint the public system in a negative light is the work of coupsters or some poo poo.

They've been busy this week after also arresting a bunch of activists that worked in the production of this video aimed towards the military to dissuade them from repressing protestors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7OMAtNOmIo

Those people are being charged with military crimes, which is blatantly illegal, but the government just can't be bothered to put up with pretenses anymore.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 21, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

zimboe posted:

A meta-observation:

I once happened across a very bad automobile accident.
It was a head-on at an intersection and involved five vehicles. There was much blood and some fatalities.
I got out to look around.
Now, I wasn't interested in the carnage that was there, I was mainly interested in the skid marks.
I wanted to know the cause of the accident, its sequence, the precursor situation, human error, random chance, etc., not it's sad consequences,too late to do anything anyway, for the practical purpose of learning to avoid such accidents in the future.

Are you a neural net?

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
The next step of the recall referendum was just approved with the worst possible conditions for the opposition. They must now collect at least 20% of the signatures of all voters within each state for the recall to proceed – the exact same trick the electoral council tacked onto the 1% recollection.

To this end, the council will provide approximately 5000 fingerprinting machines spread throughout the country, about a fourth of those the opposition requested and only a little over a thousand collection centers (out of nearly 20,000 available for electoral procedures) will be open.

The process is overtly designed to bait the opposition into accepting, knowing these conditions make it impossible to collect the necessary signatures during the three days allotted – October 26, 27, and 28 – due to sheer bottlenecking. Furthermore, the electoral council went ahead and said that if they succeed, they'd need 90 days before the recall went ahead, not including the time they need to "verify" the signatures.

Honestly, the recall referendum has been dead since the opposition made it clear they wouldn't press the government for fair conditions, but this is the final nail in its coffin. Even if they pull off a miracle and manage to collect the 20% in these conditions, the PSUV remains in power if the recall referendum is held in 2017.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
I want to add a bit to what Labradoodle said to stress what a naked, ugly, undeniably dictatorial move this is.

Let me start with a quick recap: the recall referendum is a electoral mechanism outlined in Article 72 of the Constitution. Full stop. The article very clearly states that the collection of signatures has to happen "in the pertinent circumscription". That clearly means that if you're recalling a mayor, you need to collect the signatures from the municipality; if you're recalling a governor, you need to collect the signatures from the state, and if you're recalling the president you need to collect the signatures from the national voter registry. This is because the president is elected from among all registered voters at the national level. On election day, everyone votes and the CNE counts the votes. The candidate that wins the most votes becomes president, regardless of how many votes came from which state.

First, right off the bat, the CNE is spitting on the Constitution and in the face of every Venezuelan when it asks for the signatures to be collected per state. Why the CNE is demanding this is obvious: if the MUD manages to collect signatures from 20% registered voters in 22 states, but only manages to collect signatures from 19.99% of voters in one state, the recall fails.

Second, the CNE gave the MUD 30 working days to collect signatures from 1% of registered voters (a total of 195,721 signatures). When the MUD collected close to two million signatures and gave them to the CNE within a week, the CNE refused to look at the them and instead told the MUD that they had to wait the full 30 working days before verifying the signatures because that's how much time the MUD had been given. Now, the CNE has given the MUD just three days to collect signatures from 20% of registered voters (a total of 3,959,553 signatures). This process is substantially more difficult because of the by-state collection demand.

I think that the PSUV/Maduro/the CNE are hoping that one of four things will happen as a result of this nonsense:
  • The MUD still tries to get the signatures and fails. Maduro can now say, "You tried and lost! I guess people don't really want a recall".
  • The MUD still tries to get the signatures and wins. Because the recall will happen in 2017, it doesn't matter if Maduro loses because the PSUV remains in power.
  • The MUD recognizes that the game is rigged and quits. Maduro can now say, "You're giving up! I guess you didn't really want a recall".
  • The MUD recognizes that the game is rigged, quits, and calls for massive protests/a national strike/some kind of radical action. Maduro can now say, "I told you! The MUD is violent and is not interested in the democratic process!".
All of the options above make the MUD look bad and Maduro look good only if the people take a step back and let the government get away with this. I hope the MUD realizes that.

The MUD is going to hold a press conference in the next little while to talk about what to do now. Like Labradoodle said, this is the final nail. If the MUD is every going say, "We've all had enough of this nonsense and we refuse to play along any longer", now is the time.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chuck Boone posted:

Like Labradoodle said, this is the final nail.

I have to say, Venezuela has an absolute poo poo ton of final nails. You could probably assemble the Titanic with all of them. Too bad they're inedible.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Hi To hell with final or non final nails, leave those to Square Enix.

How far down the Somalification hole is Venezuela.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The reason there appear to be so many "final nails" is because we're watching a country collapse in real time. As we've seen, this process tends to be spread out over time. Also, it involves the collapse of many individual parts (the judicial system, the economy, the legislature, the rule of law, etc.). In other words, the collapse doesn't happen all at once in a single site or through a single event: it happens over time through a series of relatively small but related events.

There was the faintest hope that the CNE would do the right thing and let the recall happen as it should. Call the hope naive, but it was there. That hope died last night, hence "the final nail" for the recall referendum.

There will be other final nails –for elections in general in Venezuela, for press freedom, for the separation of the civil and military spheres – as we continue to watch the country collapse.

fnox
May 19, 2013

My only remaining hope is that people eventually realize they can band together without the MUD and actually get something done. The MUD is so desperately loving hopeless they're actually celebrating right now that the date for the 20% signature collection was announced.

A year ago we loving gave them a super majority in the National Assembly explicitly so they would trigger a change in government, they allowed that to be stripped away from them without a fight, they're complicit in this disaster.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

fnox posted:

My only remaining hope is that people eventually realize they can band together without the MUD and actually get something done. The MUD is so desperately loving hopeless they're actually celebrating right now that the date for the 20% signature collection was announced.

A year ago we loving gave them a super majority in the National Assembly explicitly so they would trigger a change in government, they allowed that to be stripped away from them without a fight, they're complicit in this disaster.

As much as I agree with the rest of your assessment, the MUD is certainly not celebrating the announcement. Last night the consensus was pretty much "This is some hosed up poo poo, we need some time to figure out how to proceed, but we know we just got the shaft".

Chuck Boone posted:

There will be other final nails –for elections in general in Venezuela, for press freedom, for the separation of the civil and military spheres – as we continue to watch the country collapse.

I think we may be getting a glimpse of the first right now. Yesterday another PSUV official let it slip that the government was in no position to hold gubernatorial elections – which were scheduled for this December – due to a lack of funds. If I were to bet, I'd say there won't be elections of any kind soon, until there is a shift in power at least. The government knows it couldn't win elections for a condo association, and they won't take any risks.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 22, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Labradoodle posted:

I think we may be getting a glimpse of the first right now. Yesterday another PSUV official let it slip that the government was in no position to hold gubernatorial elections – which were scheduled for this December – due to a lack of funds.

Cute. That's exactly the same reason that DR Congo is giving to not hold the upcoming presidential elections that would require Kabila to bypass the constitutional term limits. The PSUV has no shortage of wonderful examples to follow.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

El Hefe posted:

A baby in a box!!!

This could be the first implementation of the world leading Finnish Baby Box system!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Playstation 4 posted:

Hi To hell with final or non final nails, leave those to Square Enix.

How far down the Somalification hole is Venezuela.

Right before Siad Barre starts losing power, so say 1990

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Labradoodle posted:

I think we may be getting a glimpse of the first right now. Yesterday another PSUV official let it slip that the government was in no position to hold gubernatorial elections – which were scheduled for this December – due to a lack of funds. If I were to bet, I'd say there won't be elections of any kind soon, until there is a shift in power at least. The government knows it couldn't win elections for a condo association, and they won't take any risks.
Are you talking about (National Assembly PSUV deputy) Pedro Carreńo? I caught a bit of his interview on Globovision yesterday but the man is so abrasive that I could only stomach about 2 minutes of it. Anyway, during that interview he said that there couldn't be gubernatorial elections this year, but that's OK because voting isn't "a fundamental right":

quote:

We’re living through an economic crisis (…) elections are not a fundamental right. A fundamental right is food, medicine, health.

The MUD's been slowly reacting to last night's news. Jesus Torrealba said that they're being deliberately careful and slow with their next announcement because they realize it will be a big one. He also called for unity because the government's trying to split the MUD up with these kinds of announcements, and that the MUD couldn't completely abandon the referendum because that would be letting Maduro off the hook. It sounds like they're going to try to get a protest campaign going to force the CNE to hold the referendum this year.

By the way, there is nothing in the regulation that says that the recall can't happen this year. The regulation says that the CNE has to hold a referendum "within 90 days" of the successful collection of signatures from 20% of voters. Since the collection of the signatures will happen at the end of October, the CNE could hold the referendum as early as December 1 if it really wanted to. Instead, it's choosing to wait the maximum amount of time allowed to hold it, but there's no practical, logistical, legal or otherwise good reason to do that.

fnox
May 19, 2013

The whole problem lies in how the opposition has lost any legitimacy that they had, they didn't fight the TSJ like they should have, now there's no legal way to get rid of Maduro, they allowed the constitutional reform to die in favor of the referendum despite warnings that the recall referendum procedure was added by Chavez into the 1999 constitution so he could live through political crises just like he did in 2004, they allowed the TSJ to remove any legal power the National Assembly had because their quarrel has always been with the CNE, , they allowed the 1% signature collection to happen which is the whole reason why there isn't enough time for the referendum anymore despite it having no grounds in the constitution and despite it creating basically a repeat of the Lista Tascon.

The opposition leadership is useless, loving useless. They've shown again and again how incompetent they are, and there will not be a change of government with their horribly inadequate responses to the as horrid despotism of Maduro.

gently caress they even failed at getting even one of the things they asked from the government at their "negotiations", there's more political prisoners now and less chance the referendum will be done this year.

fnox fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 22, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Chuck Boone posted:

Torrealba said that they're being deliberately careful and slow with their next announcement because they realize it will be a big onedo that.

It feels like they're being deliberately careful and slow because they don't want to stick their necks out and risk the good thing they have going as the part of the PSUV charged with limiting unrest by directing it to worthless pursuits.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chuck Boone posted:

By the way, there is nothing in the regulation that says that the recall can't happen this year. The regulation says that the CNE has to hold a referendum "within 90 days" of the successful collection of signatures from 20% of voters. Since the collection of the signatures will happen at the end of October, the CNE could hold the referendum as early as December 1 if it really wanted to. Instead, it's choosing to wait the maximum amount of time allowed to hold it, but there's no practical, logistical, legal or otherwise good reason to do that.

It doesn't matter anyway as proven with the first step of the process. Even if the constitution said within 30 days, it'd still take them 90 days to do it.

It's pointless to still think by the rule book or that the laws have any meaning. I mean if you're MUD you have to deal with it, but as a civilian it's kind of a waste of time. It's like playing a game with a 4 year old -- they're just making it up as they go along so they win the game.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Chuck Boone posted:

We’re living through an economic crisis (…) elections are not a fundamental right. A fundamental right is food, medicine, health.

So he's admitting that the PSUV is unable to provide for Venezuelan's fundamental rights?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Saladman posted:

It doesn't matter anyway as proven with the first step of the process. Even if the constitution said within 30 days, it'd still take them 90 days to do it.

It's pointless to still think by the rule book or that the laws have any meaning. I mean if you're MUD you have to deal with it, but as a civilian it's kind of a waste of time. It's like playing a game with a 4 year old -- they're just making it up as they go along so they win the game.
You're absolutely right, but I think that we should still call out these really obvious violations for the purposes of keeping score. I can't tell you how many times I've heard some PSUV official on TV saying, "We're just following the regulations!", or a chavista person elsewhere trying to defend the Maduro government with a similar argument. It is totally a game of Calvinball but it's still important to keep the record straight.

Mozi posted:

So he's admitting that the PSUV is unable to provide for Venezuelan's fundamental rights?
Ha! Yeah, basically, but he would never admit that of course. I mean, I didn't see the rest of the interview, but I can tell you that Carreńo is one of the smuggest, most obnoxious PSUV officials around. I'll let his picture speak for itself:

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The MUD made its much awaited reply this morning to the CNE's announcement last week on the recall referendum. Last week, the CNE said that the recall could not happen this year, and that (contrary to what the Constitution say) the MUD had to collect signatures from 20% of registered voters per state as opposed to just 20% of voters at the national level.

The MUD said that it was going to go ahead and collect the signatures anyway, but based on what the Constitution says. This sounds like they're going to ignore the "20% by state" requirement. They also said that they would mount pressure through protests to have the recall happen this year. It's going to be interesting to see how that develops because all of the protests that have happened so far have done apparently nothing to stop Maduro/the PSUV/the CNE from doing whatever they want to.

Here's my translation of the MUD press release from this morning:

quote:

The people will force the regime to follow the Constitution.

Now is the time of the sovereign people and the mobilized citizen. This is the hour of the offended, the humiliated, the wronged, the assaulted. It is the hour of those of us who join interminable lines to buy food, of those of us who feel desperation at not being able to find indispensable medicine. It is the house of those of us who carry the pain of crying for family members murdered by unpunished criminals. It is the hour of the families that have been split up because their children have had to leave the country. It is the hour of not putting up with this any longer! It is the hour of change!

The Mesa de la Unidad Democratica, after a process of debate, deep reflection and consultations with very diverse sectors of Venezuelan society, now lays out its position and call before the people of Venezuela to achieve change in 2016 in the face of an unconstitutional announcement by the CNE regarding the [second step] of the recall referendum.

The pro-PSUV rectors of the CNE had the opportunity not only to follow the Constitution, but also the entirety of the Venezuelan people who demand a recall of Nicolas Maduro this year. Instead of behaving like an independent body, the pro-PSUV rectors of the CNE instead chose to laugh at Venezuelans and their problems. Above all else, they underestimated the will for change, the strength of democracy, and the people’s capacity for action.

Our answer and that of all democrats from every social sector that we consulted is not for the CNE or its bosses: it’s for Venezuelans who hunger for food and justice, who urgently demand medicine and liberty. [That answer is] that we are with you, that this is a joint struggle, and that the end is coming.

We did not except anything else from the CNE. We know who were are facing, and we know what they are capable of in the name of stopping change. This is why we will teach them a lesson in greatness, and do everything that is necessary to have the Constitution and the desire for change from millions of Venezuelans followed. This is why today, September 27, we state:

The recall referendum will happen this year. There is no technical or legal reason why this cannot be. The recall referendum will happen in 2016 because it is in the Constitution and because it is our right and necessity as a people.
We will activate the recall by following what is in the Constitution: [that] the collection of signatures represent at least 20% of registered voters at the national level. Our objective and focus will be in rallying up millions of signatures on October 26, 27 and 28 to surpass the requirement for the recall referendum by a wide margin. We will only follow the condition set out in the Constitution, and we reject out of hand any “condition” that violates the national Constitution and that the CNE uses as an excuse to deny or delay the activation of the recall referendum in 2016. We will not accept anything that does not follow the Constitution, and if the government chooses to not follow it or violate it, it will find itself before a people who make it it follow the Constitution.
This is why we call on the people of Venezuela to attend the signature-collection campaign called for October 26, 27 and 28 en masse in order to active the recall referendum in 2016, understanding that our work will not limit itself only to completing an administrative step, but rather exercising all democratic pressure mechanisms needed to [ensure that this process follows the law]. The true “Toma de Venezuela” [Takeover of Venezuela] will take place during these three days. The people will not be stopped by a measly number of voting machines, nor their malicious placement, nor by these late dates. October 26, 27, and 28 will be three days of a democratic people on the streets adhering to and making [the government] adhere to the Constitution and the law.

In order to accomplish this, we call on all of the people, all of the democratic citizenry to activate ourselves immediately just as we did for the Gran Toma de Caracas [Great Takeover of Caracas] on September 1, but with much greater scope and strength. Starting today, we’re calling for the organization of protest activities each day throughout the country. In particular, we’re calling for a special national mobilization campaign for October 12, during which we will cause the overflow of every street in the country in a peaceful manner, and we will let the regime and its electoral agents know that the collection of the 20% is to be done at the national level and that the recall referendum will be this year. We will let them know that they don’t set the rules, that they are in the Constitution and that we Venezuelans will make them follow [these rules].

Since coming to power, this regime has done nothing but underestimate us, make us think that they have total control and that there is supposedly no other option except submitting ourselves to them.

It is the time to remind them of who we are: the greatness of this people beats in each of our hearts, because we know that our differences strengthen us, that we want peaceful elections, and that we have faced worse tyranny and we have defeated it time and again.

The time has come to do this again [defeat tyranny] and act: if the regime ignores the Constitution, the will of the sovereign [the people] and the only requisite that our Constitution sets for the conduct of a recall referendum which is the collection of [signatures from] 20% of voters registered at the national level, it is our duty as a people to activate ourselves and force them to obey the Constitution on the streets and through our institutions.

Our call is to defend that which makes us Venezuela. This is the lesson that we will teach the government.

We can achieve this because we are the majority, because the Constitution supports us, and because the entire world backs us up on our struggle for liberty and democracy.

Viva democracy, co-existence and peace.

Viva free Venezuela.

Gloria al bravo pueblo! [These are the first words of the national anthem; it means, “Glory to the brave people!”].

The MUD was backed into a tricky corner. I think the government wanted the MUD to throw its hands up in the air and give up on the recall, which would have been a disaster. I'm not sure what's going to happen if the MUD collects over 4 million signatures and the CNE throws them all out by saying "sorry, you didn't follow our rules". I think the cost of doing that would be really high for the PSUV, but I also think they would do it without much hesitation.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chuck Boone posted:

I think the cost of doing that would be really high for the PSUV.

I'd like to believe that, but I can't. What cost? More voter disapproval? More... worthless protests? It's not like the army or anyone controlling the PDVSA or anyone with actual power or relevance is going to change their minds because of it, nor will it affect the ~20% of Venezuelans who seem to be diehard Chavistas despite the overwhelming burden of reality crushing them. They're just going to follow the CNE's idiocy and whatever excuse they come up with even in the essentially impossible chance of the people actually collecting 20% of validated signatures per state, and if the Venezuelan people don't manage the CNE's rules, then it will be "proof" for a large enough minority to keep up the charade.

It might go through to the next stage because the PSUV might decide it's worth it to kick their problem down the road a few months rather than the extremely low chance people will meaningfully protest if the recall referendum is actually stopped. The chance of this happening before late January 2017 is a solid 0% though. And then what? Two more years of PSUV with another 0% chance of policy change, since I doubt Maduro is calling many of the shots or setting any policy. Oil prices aren't going to drop any further (nor do I expect they will they rise much, thanks to fracking), and it looks like Venezuela can keep itself at this pace indefinitely. It looks like it's going to be the first massive human clinical trial of the effects of caloric restriction on human health ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction ).

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

How will it keep itself at this pace indefinitely? The economy is a shambles, and people are beginning to starve. If nothing, I'd say the pace of this is accelerating. The hungrier the people get, the more a revolutionary mood will ferment. Even if the current limp-dicked opposition continues with ineffectual protests, eventually someone else is going to step up to the plate. There's serious opportunity to be the next leader of Venezuela, all it requires is an organization willing to light the match.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Even if Venezuala does get an election, do you really expect the PSUV to give up power? Fear of retribution from a regime change has to be pretty present in the minds of the PSUV.

fnox
May 19, 2013

JohnGalt posted:

Even if Venezuala does get an election, do you really expect the PSUV to give up power? Fear of retribution from a regime change has to be pretty present in the minds of the PSUV.

Us Venezuelans have a long standing tradition of what we call "raspar la olla". Every time there is a change in government the nation's coffers are sacked by the leaving party, you know, as a reward for a job well done. PSUVistas want cash, not power, power allows them to get cash but they'll choose money over anything.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

A White Guy posted:

How will it keep itself at this pace indefinitely? The economy is a shambles, and people are beginning to starve. If nothing, I'd say the pace of this is accelerating. The hungrier the people get, the more a revolutionary mood will ferment. Even if the current limp-dicked opposition continues with ineffectual protests, eventually someone else is going to step up to the plate. There's serious opportunity to be the next leader of Venezuela, all it requires is an organization willing to light the match.

I wish I were as optimistic as you, but at this point I have a hard time imagining Venezuela not turning into Zimbabwe.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Half of Venezuelan children not getting three square meals

Half of children in oil-rich Venezuela are receiving a maximum of two meals a day, making it hard for them to attend school, a new survey has found.

The findings by More Consulting, a research firm, found that 50 per cent of parents were only feeding their children one or two meals a day as a result of food shortages caused by an ongoing financial crisis. Venezuela has some of the world largest oil reserves but has been left reeling by the collapse in world crude prices and decades of economic mismanagement by socialist governments founded by the late charismatic leader Hugo Chazez .Nicolas Maduro, who took over from Chavez, is facing mounting criticism after hosting a Non-Aligned Movement summit worth millions of dollars last weekend, and was recently heard to joke about the benefits of the “Maduro diet”.

With inflation forecast to hit 480% this year, ordinary citizens face spending hours in supermarket queues to purchase subsidised goods, leaving those who cannot afford the prices to sift rubbish dumps for food. The survey was conducted from a national sample of 767 parents throughout the country ahead of the new school year which starts on September 26 leaving both politicians, parents and teachers fretting over the future of the country’s children.

“Her family hadn’t eaten in three days,” she explained. In some of Pernalete’s schools children have fainted during school hours, young boys are dropping out to work and earn money and some football teams have had to stop training because the players are malnourished.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/25/half-of-venezuela-children-go-hungry/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A White Guy posted:

honestly this, it cant go on forever. I think what will happen is a Mohamed Bouazizi like situation (except maybe the PSUV goons will kill him/her) and poo poo will rapidly escalate from there. These people are only starting to starve and they are already breaking into private zoos to eat horses and animals. eventually poo poo going to get worse and a spark will happen then all debts will be repaid in full and the PSUV is gonna learn the hard way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
In recall referendum news, the electoral council apparently dictated that citizens must undergo fingerprint verification for four fingers, instead of the usual single-digit during elections. Despite this, they haven't seen fit to extend the process for longer than the allotted three days or open more voting centers – at this point, they're taking what was already a ridiculous bottleneck and shoving more poo poo in just for giggles.

Living here gives you a thick skin for ridiculous rulings, but this is honestly one of the stupidest things I've heard. It's right up there with the made up rule of collecting 20% of the voter's signatures from each state.