Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

In Training posted:

MGSV is the only good "open world" game because they actually made a game that played well instead of trying to hide bad design behind a lot of art assets

MGS5 was a really bad open world game.

A huge empty map with a handful of bases etc. that you revisit multiple to do the same 5 missions types in each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You just described every open world game :P

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My favorite open world game is still Bully, followed by Infamous 2. Bully had a small world but very little of it felt like filler and it actually felt fully realized. Infamous 2 didn't have that at all but it's such a linear game that it didn't matter and it was fun to travel around.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Witcher 3 is the best open world game. Also, Darkest Dungeon is up. :getin:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I used to think I'd play The Order 1886, because at least it's pretty. Then I played AC: Unity, which can also be said to be "at least pretty". I'm probably now never going to play The Order unless it came up free on PS+.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly the 2016 version of Assassin's Creed: Unity, fully patched up, is actually a pretty great game. It's just a shame it was so completely broken at launch.

I'm jealous people get to play the 2016 instead of 2014 version now. Jerks. (Never buy day 1, always wait for patches)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

I've played and enjoyed every GTA (though that enjoyment really, really waned by the end of IV) but I've never once completed any of the 'find 100 items' scavenger hunt deals and can't imagine anyone who has actually had fun doing it.

Basically they should stop making that a thing in open world games, but in the last GTA they had like 3-4 different ones so I doubt it :shrug:

These missions WERE fun is Vice City/ San Andreas because they perma-spawned cool weapons and vehicles at your safe houses without having to corrupt your save file with cheatcodes. It was a neat way to get me to explore off the beaten path and it made sense in game for CJ to have sawed-off shotties and molotov cocktails in his gangster hideout because he tagged the entire city for Grove Street and was a huge ganster banksy. I am someone who never uses cheatcodes and doesn't like cheating in games, so this was an awesome feature for me.

The fact that in GTA IV/V they made the collectibles way more a huge pain in the rear end and also no longer tied to cool unlockable toys is, at least for me, one of the single worst game design decisions of the last decade, and whoever felt like that was a good call is a dumbass who deserves to get fired.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If collectables don't show up on a map in game they can gently caress right off forever.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

In Training posted:

Those were my favorite parts of the game.
Replaying the old missions on modified difficulty is a great idea... for a menu where you can pick the ones you like to do at your leisure. Forcing you to go through with it to 'finish' the game is a lovely kick in the pants only trumped by the lovely revelations that await

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kirios posted:

Honestly the 2016 version of Assassin's Creed: Unity, fully patched up, is actually a pretty great game. It's just a shame it was so completely broken at launch.

I'm jealous people get to play the 2016 instead of 2014 version now. Jerks. (Never buy day 1, always wait for patches)
That's the one I just finished playing 2 weeks ago. It's a very good looking game with a good setting/architecture, but as a game it's in the bottom 3 for the series. Maybe even the bottom two.

My message was: don't play games if all anyone can say about them is they look great. At least The Order 1886 maybe has its brief length going for it.

I'll definitely throw behind "don't play day 1, wait for patches" though. I am glad I waited, all things considered, but Unity has some pretty unique misfires that aren't graphical glitches.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I thought it was better than III and Revelations, personally. Revelations in particular is just a bad video game.

Edit: Hell it's better than I. It's a middling Assassin's Creed game, on par with Brotherhood, Rogue and Syndicate.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 27, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rev wasn't great but 3 was a real piece of poo poo. I love that they ran out of tall buildings to climb (because there loving weren't any) so one of the sync points was a hill with a flagpole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd put Syndicate near the top honestly. If it was a bit more original it'd probably be one of the overall best but it has a lot going for it. Brotherhood, Black Flag and Syndicate are the ones I think with the strongest balance to them, with 2 and Rogue a bit behind.

The bottom is a fight between Unity and 3. AC1 is down there too but has the benefit of being the first so it is a bit easier to forgive some poo poo. I'd never play any of them again though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Haven't played Rogue or Liberation, but my ranking is probably Black Flag > Syndicate > Brotherhood > AC2 > Revelations > Unity > AC3 > AC1. Black Flag/Syndicate are arguable against each other, as are Unity/AC3 and probably AC1 also. I'm going to guess Rogue is better than Rev but arguable with AC2. No idea with Liberation frankly.

Unity introduced IAP premium currency, a companion app and website that were both so bad they eventually got patched out, a boring plot and subpar characters, and accordingly a thoroughly wasted setting. Launch state was so bad they gave the DLC away for free. It was very, very bad and a real step back from the progress made in Black Flag.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How is star ocean 5? It just came out like 2 months ago but is already half off. I'm thinking about that or double-dipping on darkest dungeons if the port is good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DrManiac posted:

How is star ocean 5? It just came out like 2 months ago but is already half off. I'm thinking about that or double-dipping on darkest dungeons if the port is good.

Star Ocean 5 is bad. Do not buy it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Star Ocean 5 is a game made on a budget of $1.50 and it shows. It's really not worth it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Next month's free games are announced later this week, right?

Hoping for Sever.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

DrManiac posted:

I'm heavily considering double dipping on Darkest Dungeon as well and I'm a person who almost never replays games, unless it's built into the game something like Enter the Gungeon, most I can probably count on one hand.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cloks posted:

Next month's free games are announced later this week, right?

Hoping for Sever.

the christian times (lol), which for some reason seems to be right more often than not :tinfoil: says that a retail game is rumored and that its not knack

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im going to buy knack

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Awesome! posted:

im going to buy knack

You're weak.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Star Ocean 5 is the reason we're not getting the Star Ocean 2 remake on PS4, and that's the real reason it's a lovely game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Knack is coming.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

elf help book posted:

Knack is coming.
Everyone prepare your best knock-knock jokes

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
So Final Fantasy XIV is $15 for the game, its expansion, and a free month.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UO4NL9Y?tag=dreldarion-20&th=1

Out of curiosity, what's actually in the package? I suppose it's a disc instead of a download code, but is the disc of any use to you if you don't have a sub? Is Heavensward something separate? I'm wondering if I can lend/sell it after my month, if I don't like it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Everyone prepare your best knack-knack jokes

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Is Darkest Dungeon cross-buy? Buying it on PS4 and getting to play on Vita is awfully tempting (altho i own it on PC :I)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Is Darkest Dungeon cross-buy? Buying it on PS4 and getting to play on Vita is awfully tempting (altho i own it on PC :I)

Yes, it is indeed crossbuy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

elf help book posted:

Knack is coming.

Voxels on yo face

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Skychrono posted:

So Final Fantasy XIV is $15 for the game, its expansion, and a free month.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UO4NL9Y?tag=dreldarion-20&th=1

Out of curiosity, what's actually in the package? I suppose it's a disc instead of a download code, but is the disc of any use to you if you don't have a sub? Is Heavensward something separate? I'm wondering if I can lend/sell it after my month, if I don't like it.

The disc is utterly worthless apart from installing the base game which then needs a huge patch on top anyway, you get one code which auto attaches to your PSN profile when you use it and includes the base game and the expansion and you also need to make an account with FF14 to attach your PSN to. So no lending or selling, sorry.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im calling gravity rush remastered for ps+

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Davincie posted:

good game

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Davincie posted:

Too anticipated, they gotta save that for a dead month

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Davincie posted:

That's how I got the regular-mastered one. Which I still haven't played.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

elf help book posted:

Knack is coming.

Is it finally time?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Davincie posted:

don't make me hyped only to crush me nuts

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's not THAT likely but they gave it away to Japan and they gave away the Vita version awhile ago so there's at least a chance, especially if they want to hype the sequel.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
It will be the other half of infamous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...