Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Anyone here ever used an Oru folding kayak? A few of the guys I was out with over the weekend were talking them up, and apart from the price, they just look jaw droppingly amazing (from what I can tell). Definitely solves the storage and transportation part of the equation... I'm just curious to see if anyone has any thoughts or experience with them.

Our long term plan is to put two of them in the back of the Motorhome with our bikes, backpacks and scuba gear.

There is an alternative though not as cool http://folbot.com/kiawah/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

khysanth posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Agnes-Core-Long-Sleeping/dp/B008PMDKVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474928112&sr=8-2&keywords=big+agnes+air+core

I'm 6'3" and use the long (78"), it might work for you. Very comfortable and packs up small. R value is only 1 though. Foam pads are much better insulators from the cold ground.

I'm considering the :shepspends: options which are thermarest neoair xlite or xtherm. Winter is coming so xtherm would be be better now, and probably more durable too. Or I could get the xlite and use an evazote foam pad with it if needed.

Also foam pads are huge:

Tarptent scarp 2 is in the bottom.. it's like half the size of my foam pad.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 27, 2016

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

I'm considering the :shepspends: options which are thermarest neoair xlite or xtherm. Winter is coming so xtherm would be be better now, and probably more durable too. Or I could get the xlite and use an evazote foam pad with it if needed.

Also foam pads are huge:

Tarptent scarp 2 is in the bottom.. it's like half the size of my foam pad.

I recently picked up a REI Flash inflatable pad, seems pretty nice and it's cheaper than the neoair with the same R value. It's also REI so great return policy if there's a problem with it. I'll be giving it its first field run this weekend. Packs down to like 2/3 the size of my Thermarest Prolite Plus.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If you're looking at Thermarest in that price range, I use the ProLite Plus and have had no problems with it. It packs up the same size as the Neoair and weighs only a few ounces more. It's a pretty good compromise between straight foam and an air pad IMO.

^e: what made you pick up the Flash? I tried it at REI but no matter how I laid on it it seemed to want to curl around me, which I found really annoying.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 27, 2016

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I like that Thermarest Speedvalve, but i'm not ready to drop $200 on my pad just yet. I'm gonna stick to the Z-lite for now. It's good tech. I'll bet gen2 will be even better.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I love my xlite, I have never slept so well while backpacking/camping.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm borrowing my roommates Xtherm right now: how I have survived 5 years on an increasingly thin RidgeRest I do not know. It's a crime they even still sell foam pads, they're worse in every single way besides price.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

So Kammok just announced the Kickstarter for its suspendable tent It's a lot to take in, but for a situation like I had this summer where I took the hammock gear because i wanted it and the tent gear because I had to, this might be a good compromise.

Backer price is $300, which I'm not ready to pull the trigger on just now, but it's interesting.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Freaquency posted:

^e: what made you pick up the Flash? I tried it at REI but no matter how I laid on it it seemed to want to curl around me, which I found really annoying.
I've got a huge chest and shoulders and there's no way it'd curl up on me as I overhang the pad. It felt comfortable, was cheap, small, light and I needed it that day so I bought it. I like my Prolite Plus but I accidentally set up on a tiny cactus last year in WY and it got some punctures and was a pain in the dick to patch because of the material. I think it's fixed, but the Flash material would be way easier to patch in the field with some Tenacious tape or even duct tape.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The only point to an Oru is if you live in a place where you have no storage for a kayak. Unless you're *really* into flatwater paddling, or are fortunate enough to live somewhere with good sea kayaking, most people never use their flatwater stuff enough. There are clubs you can join, and rental options that really are better for most people. I don't think there are all that many lakes in America that are hike in that would require a boat like that. I swear I just recently read that most decent sized lakes have some sort of road access. For small stuff, I would think one of the new packraft sort of things would be a better fit.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think I would get an Oru as I live in an apartment and drive a small 2 door coupe. It would be absolutely perfect for me. Hell I could drive up the Houston bayou, float down, and uber back to my car.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Hungryjack posted:

So Kammok just announced the Kickstarter for its suspendable tent It's a lot to take in, but for a situation like I had this summer where I took the hammock gear because i wanted it and the tent gear because I had to, this might be a good compromise.

Backer price is $300, which I'm not ready to pull the trigger on just now, but it's interesting.

I'd def be interested in seeing this in the field. At 4.5lbs, it's not a bad weight for 2 people (and splitting the tent up) but I'll definitely keep using my 1-man quarter dome on solo trips.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
That pack-able kayak is going to be a super huge "bought, used once, never used again" thing for most people I bet. Hell, I have two proper ones and I don't use them as much as I should, and I have like a dozen launch options within 30min of me.

What I need is an old minivan to outfit as my ultimate kayak carrier. Then I would use it every week.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

That pack-able kayak is going to be a super huge "bought, used once, never used again" thing for most people I bet. Hell, I have two proper ones and I don't use them as much as I should, and I have like a dozen launch options within 30min of me.

What I need is an old minivan to outfit as my ultimate kayak carrier. Then I would use it every week.

If you know such a person, please let me know. I'd be very interested in considering one on the secondary market.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Hungryjack posted:

I like that Thermarest Speedvalve, but i'm not ready to drop $200 on my pad just yet. I'm gonna stick to the Z-lite for now. It's good tech. I'll bet gen2 will be even better.

No love for the Exped stuff? I have a Synmat UL5M which weighs around 14 oz and has an R-value of 2.5. Packs down to beer can size.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The exped hand pump deal is kind of nice one you get the hang of using it. And you're not blowing moisture into it like with a thermarest.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I really like the big agnes insulated q core pad. The stuff sack inflator pump works pretty well and it's ridiculously comfortable.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Saw the Klymit Hammock V pad on massdrop and its got me curious. Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

eSporks posted:

Saw the Klymit Hammock V pad on massdrop and its got me curious. Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

I like the idea, but for $140, I'll keep using my zlite.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

27 oz for R1.6 seems pretty bad also. I foresee having to just suck up the price and getting an EE UQ to stay warm in Canada.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I work next to the enlightened equipment store in Seattle. I walked over the other day after work and looked at their stuff. It's really nice but holy poo poo those prices were shocking. It definitely looks like the kind of stuff that you get what you pay for ... really incredible gear.

Edit
Sorry I was thinking about feathered friends in Seattle. Not enlightened equipment. EE doses not equal FF

Verman fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 1, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Do you mean Feathered Friends? Enlightened Equipment is based out of Minnesota and I don't think they have a brick and mortar store.

FF is in Seattle though and they do make good poo poo and have been doing so for a long time

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bongwizzard posted:

So what you're saying is that if your kayak were easier and more convenient to transport, you'd use it more often? :v:

I do completely agree though, I'm hesitant to spend that much on a kayak and then wind up using it only a few times.

In other great news, I just received my black diamond storm headlamp, and holy cow that thing is tits. It puts out enough red light to actually be useful (first for a headlamp for me), and the green light is phenomenal for preserving night vision but still allowing crystal clear illumination. Seeing it in person camping last weekend sold me on that. I also appreciate that the max white setting still allows for a long runtime (60 hours claimed at 250 lumens), whereas my fenix hl60r runs out fairly quick (3 hours claimed at max 950 lumen output).

Backpacking, I don't feel like there's much useful difference between 250 and 950 lumens, but the green light is a killer feature for the storm, plus it's lighter. I don't like that it uses AAA batteries (have to buy new ones for each trip since AAA rechargeables suck), but it's hands down my new favorite headlamp--it's a phenomenal upgrade from my black diamond spot.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I made a bunch of dicks stuffsacks from discount 30D silnylon. Hopefully with a trash compactor bag they'll keep my gear dry enough. Dry bag for clothes would have been nice, but they'd leak from the seams anyways.

It took around 5 hours to make them. Last two small red bags took 15 mins each when I finally got the hang of sewing. Seams are pretty uneven but as long as they hold they're good.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I believe there's a technique to create a seam that is fairly waterproof by itself and can be made fully waterproof with seam sealer like you would with tent seams. Don't know the English name for it but it exists.

E: apparently it is called a lapped seam

theroachman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 1, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Speaking of EE gear, I'm jonesin' real bad for a 20 degree revolt and revelation as an UQ/TQ. What passed for a 3.5 season getup in the southern states would be good for maaaaybe season-and-a-half now that I'm in Canada and everything is 50 shades of winter. Only thing stopping me is :shepspends:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

theroachman posted:

I believe there's a technique to create a seam that is fairly waterproof by itself and can be made fully waterproof with seam sealer like you would with tent seams. Don't know the English name for it but it exists.

E: apparently it is called a lapped seam

There's just this problem that every bag has a huge hole in the middle. They're more for organizing gear, and they probably keep enoguh water outside if anything gets in the bag. They're quite heavy though, 180g for all eight bags.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Why not try to do one with a roll-up top like store bought dry sacks have?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Next time I need to order some webbing and buckles to try that out. Maybe some evazote too for winter camping, some fleece etc. Sewing does not seem to be too hard if you don't mind uneven seams :v:

Making lapped seams without any special tools, from silnylon, looks difficult. Maybe I could try making folds by pressing the cloth with a plastic letter opener or something like that. I hand-folded silnylon while sewing and the bags do not look that pretty from inside.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

For a regular seam, turn inside out, fasten with pins and sew, turn outside out. No folds needed.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

theroachman posted:

For a regular seam, turn inside out, fasten with pins and sew, turn outside out. No folds needed.

:catstare: using pins didn't even come into my mind. I considered paper glue and tape but they seemed overly complicated.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you want to make tapeable seams fabric adhesive is your friend. Also a piece of cardboard so you can glue straight, fold, pin then seam without everything moving.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Watching an argument in a scrambling group on Facebook about whether it's okay to blast music from speakers in the backcountry.

I'm team "Shut the gently caress up because it's noise pollution and bothers everyone else, you're in nature for gently caress sake" and apparently that means "YOU WANT ME TO GET EATEN BY A BEAR, GUESS I'LL JUST WALK IN SILENCE AND DIE"

These pro-music guys are loving livid. Someone said it was selfish behavior, and they turned it into "Oh, it's selfish to want to survive? Thanks". Pretty sure that's not what they meant, dude.

'If someone else can hear your music, it's too loud' seems like a safe enough principle. Blast your music all you want if no one is within earshot.

e: In the backcountry. If you're playing music audibly on a trail, gently caress you.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

:catstare: using pins didn't even come into my mind. I considered paper glue and tape but they seemed overly complicated.

I used these for an 11' ridgeline hex tarp, with rolled hems all the way around:

https://amzn.com/B01A0U145E

In the end very happy with how it turned out but that's the last time I'm doing any large project with silnylon hah

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, just did a two night hang with my Hennessy Expedition, DD underblanket and Snugpak Bushcraft top quilt. Got down to +5C and lots of wind the first night, no wind but +2C the second night. Was nice and warm throughout. I wouldn't take this setup much below zero but it's nice that a relatively simple setup like this worked so well. The DD underblanket fits very well if you take the three cords on the end and attach to the suspension, then shorten two of the side cords and attach to the hammock tieouts.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Used the REI Flash pad this weekend, I found it to be great. No complaints, though the temps were only in the low 50s at night so I didn't get a good comparison of how it handled cold ground but it was comfortable. Can I go back now?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dawn on the Watersprite by Ryan M, on Flickr

It snowed all saturday, but sunday I woke up to the most amazing goddamn view I've ever captured.

Also, the cabin had visitors last weekend:

Off frame to the left are the two dumbass hikers with 3 dogs, offleash, at whom we are screaming that there are bears less than 50m away and to put their dogs on a leash before they get horribly mauled. :mad: Took 5 minutes for the idiots to grasp the severity of the situation, during which momma bear thankfully wandered off frame right to eat more berries.

Rime fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 4, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Man, you guys are making me want to camp this weekend. I'll post pics if I do.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

It's still too hot down in Texas for enjoyable camping. I was up in Maine last weekend and it was nice up there. Oh well, maybe by the end of the month...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Fuckin niceeeee, love that picture!