Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

It's been a long time since I've done any music history. Wasn't A440 originally a compromise by manufacturors of fixed-pitch instruments to be close enough to a bunch of different Orchestral standards? There was a long time when 444 was standard in Europe, iirc, baroque tunings were pretty low, like in the 410s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
On a tuning note, whilst i dig their tunes both Pantera and Machine Head can gently caress off for using "in between" tunings that are 50 cents between notes. What spurred that poo poo, can't equate that with healing energy

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My favorite use of wah is in Furry Little Things intro by Dino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlxxDr01V_c

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

NonzeroCircle posted:

On a tuning note, whilst i dig their tunes both Pantera and Machine Head can gently caress off for using "in between" tunings that are 50 cents between notes. What spurred that poo poo, can't equate that with healing energy

dimebag got it from dave mustaine who tuned the first two megadeth albums down a quarter step thinking it'd stand out next to other songs on the radio or some poo poo

of course he was also a crackhead at the time so that could just as well explain it

Octatonic posted:

It's been a long time since I've done any music history. Wasn't A440 originally a compromise by manufacturors of fixed-pitch instruments to be close enough to a bunch of different Orchestral standards? There was a long time when 444 was standard in Europe, iirc, baroque tunings were pretty low, like in the 410s.

from what i remember there were a few people who wrote about a440 as a reference pitch in the 1800s but it slowly just became the standard over time

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 12, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

William F Cuckley posted:

A=432 Hz, known as Verdi's 'A' is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature. The universal music of sacred geometry.

e: my favorite dumb pitch thing is the story that a440 was the result of goebbels decreeing all musicians in nazi germany use that standard

It is a pretty good litmus test if you want to quickly know if you are dealing with a fruitcake.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I like what my uncle said about 440Hz - Every A is 440Hz (regardless of the octave) but noone knows the frequency of any other note.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I bought a stupid music poo poo a few months ago and I love it. It's a Roli Seaboard, like this but smaller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-hzbG5FzI

It's like a bunch of fake tits in a row that make music.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Stolen from the BKP site (boutique pickups being another Stupid Music poo poo but yolofukkit I like the ones I have)

quote:

Quite often at Bare Knuckle we're asked to provide crazy, out-there things by you guys, the players. Some of these things just can't be done, much as we'd love to (pickups in the shape of a cat idea RIP)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
most of their stuff is way overpriced but sinners are legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmUm9uSMh80&t=122s

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You don't need to tell me that, I own a set :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

nailbombs tho

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm torn because I have a nice Strat from my birth-year and I keep having stupid thoughts like scalloping the neck and replacing the frets with jumbos, and then replacing the pickups with Sinners - but then at that point the only original thing on the guitar is the body and much like the Ship of Theseus at that point is it even worth it?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

If it has any meaning to you because it's from your birth year, then I'd endeavor to keep it as original as possible, and look at getting some other strat to use as a modding platform.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
Why do I think Winger (as a band) and Reb Beach (as a guitarist) are terribly underrated and underappreciated?

poo poo like this right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948lTaZlKpE

Goofy and fun, and can play and write like mofos.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That guitarist has chops for sure, but the music is kinda... eh.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

woodch posted:

Why do I think Winger (as a band) and Reb Beach (as a guitarist) are terribly underrated and underappreciated?

Dude, Beavis and Butthead spent the best part of the 90s clowning on Winger, how much more recognition do you want??

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Chrpno posted:

Dude, Beavis and Butthead spent the best part of the 90s clowning on Winger, how much more recognition do you want??

I think in an interview with the guys from Winger once, they said that as soon as the fat nerd in Bevis and Butthead wore that black Winger shirt, their albums sales basically stopped completely.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

GreatGreen posted:

I think in an interview with the guys from Winger once, they said that as soon as the fat nerd in Bevis and Butthead wore that black Winger shirt, their albums sales basically stopped completely.

Yeah, that's basically the story. They became the image of everything that was terrible about 80's hair rock/metal. Them and Warrant, and of course Poison and basically every band that used hairspray and wore flamboyant outfits. But the BnB nod basically put a huge target on their backs.

But it's okay... they're still making music, and they're still great musicians. And it seems like they at least have a good sense of humor about it all.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Winger was a fantastic super-group that was executed terribly. I love those guys and I wish they'd gone another direction. They still did some great stuff. Haven't watched the video, because I still remember the guitar mag interview decades ago in which Reb said something about a someday Winger reunion.

I have seen some YouTube videos of them playing live and even when it's terrible poo poo like "Seventeen" they sure as gently caress nail it like the CD.

Blind Revolution Mad was kinda prophetic in some ways. No one knows about it because by the time Pull came out the band was sunk.

To this day I maintain Headed for A Heartbreak was a wonderfully composed ballad. The lyrics are dumb as any ballad, but the harmonic composition was truly ear-bending and original. Great modulations. See also: I'll See You In My Dreams by Giant.

VV Agree to disagree. VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 20, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Counter point: there is no such thing as a well executed ballad.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Counter point: there is no such thing as a well executed ballad.

You're doing it wrong

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Winger was a fantastic super-group that was executed terribly. I love those guys and I wish they'd gone another direction. They still did some great stuff. Haven't watched the video, because I still remember the guitar mag interview decades ago in which Reb said something about a someday Winger reunion.

I have seen some YouTube videos of them playing live and even when it's terrible poo poo like "Seventeen" they sure as gently caress nail it like the CD.

Blind Revolution Mad was kinda prophetic in some ways. No one knows about it because by the time Pull came out the band was sunk.

To this day I maintain Headed for A Heartbreak was a wonderfully composed ballad. The lyrics are dumb as any ballad, but the harmonic composition was truly ear-bending and original. Great modulations. See also: I'll See You In My Dreams by Giant.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
their big hit being about loving underage chicks probably didn't help, also coming in at the rear end end of the hair metal fad alongside warrant and slaughter kinda put an abbreviated expiration date on their style

i remember chuckling at an interview with kip winger where he shits on metallica claiming they didn't have the chops to play winger's half-assed van halen covers, all because of that one shot in a video where they have his picture on a dartboard

e: regardless of the merits or lack thereof of their music, mike judge absolutely nailed it with having stewart wear a winger shirt

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 20, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

are we really having an argument about winger in 2016

never change goons

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Allen Wren posted:

never change goons

Yer welcome. :)

Only reason I brought it up is I was browsing around youtube for bands I've liked over the years, and candid studio stuff is my jam.

For instance, I recently discovered a sort of "making of" video about Genesis' self-titled album (known as the "Mama" album).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMm-08uZXfo

It's entirely home-video camera footage, mostly shot by Phil Collins himself, but it captures a lot of neat song-building stuff, particularly "Home By The Sea" (and "Second Home By The Sea"), and I've always loved that song. Seeing it being built from the ground up was really cool.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2OVAgkHBc

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

woodch posted:

For instance, I recently discovered a sort of "making of" video about Genesis' self-titled album (known as the "Mama" album).

That would legit be one of their best albums if it didn't have Illegal Alien taking a giant poo poo in the middle of it.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Allen Wren posted:

That would legit be one of their best albums if it didn't have Illegal Alien taking a giant poo poo in the middle of it.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmyeaaaaaaahhhhhhh.... I kinda agree with you. Tonally, that song really doesn't sit well with the rest of the album. On it's own it's not an entirely terrible song... It's peppy and fun. But the rest of the album is mostly dark and/or serious (as I recall, I haven't re-listened to it in it's entirety in a long time).

No argument, however... I do un-ironically like Invisible Touch... as an album. The song was really worn out on me thanks to MTV and top40 radio of the day. "Domino" is a great long song, and live it's just amazing.

Edit:

Yup. I'm down.

woodch fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 21, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

Not really.

Last post (in GBS)!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 26, 2016

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

A=432 Hz, known as Verdi's 'A' is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature. The universal music of sacred geometry.

e: my favorite dumb pitch thing is the story that a440 was the result of goebbels decreeing all musicians in nazi germany use that standard

What? No way I am using a Nazi reference frequency.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not really.

Last post (in GBS)!

it's getting returned to nu-gbs whenever that happens

sout
Apr 24, 2014

it's getting returned to nu-gbs whenever that happens

gbscore

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
So I managed to find a use for the Miku Stomp. When you plug an Otamatone Deluxe into it you can use it to be annoying, but even better it keeps wailing away on its own when you're not playing, and Blackhole reverb glitchy delay/vibrato pedal makes everything sound ominous. Gonna make a full track using this for sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT_7sCwmFmI

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

stillvisions posted:

So I managed to find a use for the Miku Stomp. When you plug an Otamatone Deluxe into it you can use it to be annoying, but even better it keeps wailing away on its own when you're not playing, and Blackhole reverb glitchy delay/vibrato pedal makes everything sound ominous. Gonna make a full track using this for sure...

That's really cool. I'd listen to an entire album of weird atmospheric ominous tones like that.

When the guitar kicked in I felt like I had stepped inside a Beksinski painting.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 27, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

stillvisions posted:

Is this you? because that's cool :)

GreatGreen posted:

That's really cool. I'd listen to an entire album of weird atmospheric ominous tones like that.

When the guitar kicked in I felt like I had stepped inside a Beksinski painting.

I got you bro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5P7bo5hKgQ

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Get this out of the Stupid Music poo poo thread, cause I'm using it as a soundtrack for my Return to the Planet of the Space Vampires movie.

I didn't know I had such a thing until I heard the soundtrack.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

stillvisions posted:

This is actually awesome.

edit: gently caress I hit 1:40 and it's amazing.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Today I read the phrase tonewood denier.

It's me. I am the tonewood denier.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The Sphinxster posted:

Whenever I hear about TONEWOODS I just remember that Leo pretty much just used whatever was the right mix of durable and available for cheap and his poo poo turned out right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

The Sphinxster posted:

I accidentally acquired a new (to me) guitar today and while I was trying to find a rundown of the specs on it I wound up reading a bunch of message board posts about how terrible x body wood sounds and started to long for the sweet release of death a little bit

gently caress guitar players

• Locked thread