Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

DemonMage posted:

Because with Samsung's terrible memory management it constantly kicks apps out of memory even with 2GB. It performs like a 1GB or less phone in terms of memory management. It's fingerprint scanner is trash compared to any modern phone. And it doesn't even support MST, one of the few potentially interesting Samsung specific things.

Is it worthless if money is tight? No. But I'm sure you can find a better not-2.5 year old phone to grab instead if money is the primary motivator.

Ah, well I don't even know what MST is, and I don't use the fingerprint scanner, and I guess I don't have many problems with the memory (I don't know if that's because of 6 or my custom ROM of what). But still, very fair points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MST is a Samsung thing that generates a magnetic code to emulate an old-school credit card, as a fallback when NFC payment doesn't work.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

My S5 is doing a bang up job right now and I can't see why I'd upgrade for a considerable time. It's up to date and will get N, so why not get an S5 if money is tight?
Does this thing even get security bulletins?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 27, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
My T-Mobile one is on July 2016 security patch, so... sorta? It's a temp phone I had laying around until the Pixels launch, my N6 has the honor of being the first screen I've cracked ☹

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Tunga posted:

Does this thing even get security bulletins?

Yeah I think so! Well my ROM is up to date with the latest security from Samsung I believe.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah I think so! Well my ROM is up to date with the latest security from Samsung I believe.
Samsung are pushing monthly security updates to a phone from early 2014? I'm not saying this is not true, I actually have no clue, but I'm actually rather impressed if that is the case. Samsung are the bane of my life but I guess that's one good thing they are doing at least.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You could not wait only 7 more days to find out?

Seven whole days! And the phone was on sale for just that one day and I'm a consumer whore so

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tunga posted:

Samsung are pushing monthly security updates to a phone from early 2014? I'm not saying this is not true, I actually have no clue, but I'm actually rather impressed if that is the case. Samsung are the bane of my life but I guess that's one good thing they are doing at least.
He's rooted on a custom ROM, so who knows what the Russian script kiddie is including for his phone. (Hint: it's the opposite of security updates)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wait...people are still flashing custom ROMs?

I'm surprised they get any security updates at all, and you certainly can't really trust whatever you're getting.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I'm surprised they get any security updates at all, and you certainly can't really trust whatever you're getting.

but but but open source

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tunga posted:

Endless Mike posted:

He's rooted on a custom ROM, so who knows what the Russian script kiddie is including for his phone. (Hint: it's the opposite of security updates)

No idea if it's true for other variants, but the AT&T Galaxy S5 apparently has Marshmallow, is on the September 1 security patch, and has been getting monthly security updates regularly for the past 5-6 months. Blew my mind.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
A press shot of the Pixel has leaked. Nothing exceptionally revealing, except the home button change.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/26/google-pixel-press-shot-leaked-shows-new-home-button-round-icons/

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bingo! It's all about debloated ROMs up in here bay-BY

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Luchadork posted:

A press shot of the Pixel has leaked. Nothing exceptionally revealing, except the home button change.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/26/google-pixel-press-shot-leaked-shows-new-home-button-round-icons/

Touchwiz looking good

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I'm so, so glad my days of flashing ROMs are in the past. There was a time where I think it could genuinely improve your user experience (but ANY change was an improvement to the Droid X2), but now Android is at a point where it no longer feels like a massive beta program. I do occasionally consider rooting my 6P so I can have system wide ad blocking, but I've bought the Pro version of all my apps and could use a browser that allows blocking if I really cared, so it's not a huge concern.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

XIII posted:

I'm so, so glad my days of flashing ROMs are in the past. There was a time where I think it could genuinely improve your user experience (but ANY change was an improvement to the Droid X2), but now Android is at a point where it no longer feels like a massive beta program. I do occasionally consider rooting my 6P so I can have system wide ad blocking, but I've bought the Pro version of all my apps and could use a browser that allows blocking if I really cared, so it's not a huge concern.

I have a Nexus 5X and honestly Pure Nexus/Elemental X Kernel is almost mandatory for me, if I want to get anything out of this phone. I tried to go back to stock when N came out and the battery was dire(android OS 18% What is Android OS? Who knows!), overheating really fast, and the whole phone felling sluggish(due to overheating and SD808). PN is still in M though on September patch, but it's night and day compared to stock. Not sure what Google(LG?) is doing with this phone, it's early life was plagued by software problems, overpriced at release(Still is here in Euroland), and now just installing N is sending the phone into bootloops.

But yeah, still on the flashing rom train, and it's still pretty fun if you have the patience. Just you know stay away from whatever rom z-grade tech blogs recommend.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

After two days of using my old Moto X while waiting for my replacement 5x (1-2 days processing, 2 days shipping, bleh), I have to say, this 3 year old phone is just as fast and responsive if not better than the 5x after 1 year. Battery life is still decent. Just makes me more disappointed in the 5x. Now if it wasn't for the potato-grade camera in the Moto X...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Alan_Shore posted:

My S5 is doing a bang up job right now and I can't see why I'd upgrade for a considerable time. It's up to date and will get N, so why not get an S5 if money is tight?

It will get security updates, but it won't be getting N. The chipset needs to support the Vulkan api for Nougat, and the SD800/801 explicitly won't.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Electronico6 posted:

But yeah, still on the flashing rom train, and it's still pretty fun if you have the patience. Just you know stay away from whatever rom z-grade tech blogs recommend.

It doesn't matter who recommends it...no one is doing a security audit of these things. Your security is hosed.

If you're fine with that, then whatever, but people need to be aware of it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

Cyanogenmod turns the Zenfone 2 from a huge shitpile of bloat into a really nice phone. True for many other phones as well, although I much prefer [nearly] stock android these days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Know what's cool? Buying a phone that's not a huge shitpile out of the box.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Endless Mike posted:

Good luck with that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Update: still enjoying my Moto Z. Still wish they'd do plastic 2014 X style backs with the dimple.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Good luck with that.

Android: It's a huge pile of poo poo - Android thread, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure the people with exploding Notes or bricked 5Xs would agree with you

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I know, but the iPhone 7 Plus costs 1000€ and the Pixels look to be priced the same, so if you want to pitch in.

Thermopyle posted:

It doesn't matter who recommends it...no one is doing a security audit of these things. Your security is hosed.

If you're fine with that, then whatever, but people need to be aware of it.

You mean the thing every ROM team will tell you about? The "Do this at your own discretion".

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

I'm sure the people with exploding Notes or bricked 5Xs would agree with you

My Note 7 rules :smug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, at exothermic reactions. :smug:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Whilst my 5x did indeed brick itself, it was pretty much flawless for 10 months up to that point

It died on a Sunday, I had a new 5x in my hand by Tuesday

now I've got another great 5x I'm completely happy with :shrug:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skarsnik posted:

Whilst my 5x did indeed brick itself, it was pretty much flawless for 10 months up to that point

It died on a Sunday, I had a new 5x in my hand by Tuesday

now I've got another great 5x I'm completely happy with :shrug:

Been happy with mine, too. Happiest I've been with an Android phone, though admittedly that's not the highest bar. I even really like how it looks, for reasons I can't begin to explain.

And it hasn't even bricked itself. :shepface:

Edit: the bottom drawer of my nightstand is basically a dedicated gadget graveyard. Every so often I pull out my HTC Hero (north American version) and shake my head. And wiggle the trackball a little.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

mango sentinel posted:

Update: still enjoying my Moto Z. Still wish they'd do plastic 2014 X style backs with the dimple.

Does it still do all the cool Moto stuff like the attentive display/notifications, wiggle for camera, shake for light, etc?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor Butts posted:

Does it still do all the cool Moto stuff?

It does, which is about the only thing it's got going for it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any decent replacements out there for Nexus 5? Similar size to a n5 would be awesome. To be used on att/cricket

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motorola also slashed another 50% off their workforce yesterday and won't commit to putting N on anything that wasn't released in 2016.

Unless you are planning on keeping a phone for a year or less, I can't recommend Moto anymore. Lenovo killed them dead and then continues to curb stomp the corpse.

The fact that they are asking 3rd parties to buy into long term support for their mods platform is laughable since they can't seem to support their own devices for longer than 10 months.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

You mean the thing every ROM team will tell you about? The "Do this at your own discretion".

Yes, people pay very close attention to those warnings.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

I know, but the iPhone 7 Plus costs 1000€ and the Pixels look to be priced the same, so if you want to pitch in.

How much is the iPhone se?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
You want him to pay adult prices for a child's size phone? :rolleyes:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

How much is the iPhone se?

The 16GB starts at 499€.

Here in Portugal operators/carriers are also a major pain, so it's not like in the States.

For example Vodafone, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge you have to pay in advance 233,90€, then for 24 months you have to pay 24€(all in total 809,90€). You only get this deal if you already have a contract with Vodafone and not any kind of contract, the Red contract(the expensive) which is 29€ monthly for free unlimited calls(to all other operators) and 500mb(!!!) of data OR the Vodafone TV+Net+RED pack which will put you at around 50€ per month. So just in monthly payments you can lose anything from +50€ to +75€, which for Portugal is a lot of cash to go every month.(minimum wage is 505€) Even folk with cash to burn are starting to stay away, or just holding on to their 2-3 year old high end phone for longer.

Electronic pricing, specially in smartphones, in Europe is beyond hosed up. Which is why Xiaomi are flooding the Portuguese and Spanish markets even though it doesn't sell directly to either.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, people pay very close attention to those warnings.

If they don't pay attention to that, what makes you think they pay attention to phone security?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So that Wi-Fi Assistant thing came on for me this past weekend. It was actually pretty nice. It was on without notifying me and had the little lock in the corner.

I'll probably be looking at the Pixel phones myself next year since my N6's camera is pretty lovely and slow.

Hopefully the 7P or whatever it is will be a nice tablet if it's real.

Lowen SoDium posted:

How are they going to merge OSes when they can't even merge chat apps?

I don't think anyone noticed this post what with all the 5X bricking and custom ROM stuff, but :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

If they don't pay attention to that, what makes you think they pay attention to phone security?

They don't.

Thus the reason I'm reiterating it here?