Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Aphrodite isn't portrayed as sexless. Sex gets mentioned in her write up, then they move on. Same with Dionysus' cult and their bacchanal orgies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Sounds pretty problematic.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Are we somehow ignoring that scion is patently ripping off heroes journey?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Magnusth posted:

And?

Just because something is used often doesn't mean it's bad, and subverting something just for the sake of subversion can backfire. Beast was built on the Heroes Journey and then spent hundreds of pages trying to claim it was subverting it while also stating that the protagonists were the "Good guys" for doing the hard work of reminding humanity of their mortality (by killing them).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

oh no, a game about literal myths draws on the same well as a dude who wrote about literal myths

Now, in fairness, the Heroes' Journey isn't near as universal as Campbell would claim, but.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Greetings, "Heroes" Journey.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: 350 dollars away from the cults section stretch goal 150k broken, cults are in.

New stretch goals:

155k: They will get another team of designers on board to make Scion LARP rules, which apparently several companies have already approached them about.
165k: Companion PDF will contain rules on creating your own fictional pantheons, using the Scion 1e Atlantean Pantheon as an example, with guidelines on making gods, relics and Pantheon signature Purviews.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 27, 2016

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Magnusth posted:

You mean the narrative process, or the game designed by fans of Scion 1e? I'm not sure how we can rip off a game that is clearly a "make my own version with blackjack and hookers" tribute to Scion in the first place.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Don't be silly Shep, it's just like how Tolkien was ripping off Shannara.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Or Warhammer 40K was a total ripoff of Starcraft. Blizzard should clearly sue.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sciom update: Sitting at 158k. There will be LARP Scion.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'll post some excerpts from Swedish Dracula's short story in the reissue of Dark Tyrants later. Reading it now and... It is extremely oWoD in a bad way.

Edit: gently caress it, have a sample.

'Screaming in lust from the concentrated spunk in my groins- blood, the Akalia started to wriggle out of its dirty jeans, still gagging on my bleeding junk. It let go only to suck in air, preparing to turn its centuries- dormant sexual organs into full rear end- rape stiffness.'

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Groins, plural?

Scion update: 161k, 4000 short of create-a-pantheon rules.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm more amazed at the whole "Full rear end-Rape Stiffness" thing.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Loomer posted:

'Screaming in lust from the concentrated spunk in my groins- blood, the Akalia started to wriggle out of its dirty jeans, still gagging on my bleeding junk. It let go only to suck in air, preparing to turn its centuries- dormant sexual organs into full rear end- rape stiffness.'

:captainpop:
That's some good Tourette's right there.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Loomer posted:

I'll post some excerpts from Swedish Dracula's short story in the reissue of Dark Tyrants later. Reading it now and... It is extremely oWoD in a bad way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I know they're not really related games or even related companies anymore but that's a perfect example of why I'm glad they're giving the whole sex-and-sacred-prostitutes thing a light touch in the new Scion. Thank you Swedish Dracula for proving my point.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Loomer posted:

lol, did Plutonis write this?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Loomer posted:

Jesus gently caress.

...Is Onyx Path still going to write World of Darkness RPG books or are they only doing Chronicles of Darkness from now on?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

OPP is in charge of the 20th anniversary lines but otherwise no.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ZearothK posted:

Jesus gently caress.

...Is Onyx Path still going to write World of Darkness RPG books or are they only doing Chronicles of Darkness from now on?

My understanding is that the Chronicles of Darkness rebranding is to allow OPP to continue doing what they've been doing while Swedish Dracula and co. will be making their own dream game under the World of Darkness label which they now own.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

OPP is in charge of the 20th anniversary lines but otherwise no.

This, yeah. Anything past that is all in the hands of Swedracula.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think I'm going to start using Chronicles of Darkness, because I have the feeling "World of Darkness" is not going to be a well-regarded brand for much longer.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Loomer posted:

:wtc:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

This, yeah. Anything past that is all in the hands of Swedracula.

Wait, this is an actual thing? Here I thought this was some strange spin off and they were writing some terrible fiction.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jhet posted:

Wait, this is an actual thing? Here I thought this was some strange spin off and they were writing some terrible fiction.

They are. Whatever the new edition is called it's going to be Swedish Dracula's fanfic setting, rather than a reboot/continuation of the oWoD.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jhet posted:

No, Paradox owns the white wolf brand and Swedracula was the major impetus behind that because he's got some grand vision of what the World of Darkness is (Read: Drugs, clubs, leather, sex, and transgression) and wants to bring that forward into a new era by not actually changing anything at all despite the fact that the 90's punk movement was 16 years ago and the gothic punks of yesteryear are the parents of today.

Kavak posted:

They are. Whatever the new edition is called it's going to be Swedish Dracula's fanfic setting, rather than a reboot/continuation of the oWoD.

Which is why Werewolves are reverting to their first edition "Crypto fascist eco-terrorist" Roots and mages exist.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 27, 2016

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hey: crypto fascist eco-terrorists ftw.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kavak posted:

That explains why googling it turned up nothing but the original book from the 90s. I expect terrible things from WW in the 90s, but this might actually take it to the next level of terrible.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Hey: crypto fascist eco-terrorists ftw.

I'm at full rear end-rape stiffness just thinking about it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Loomer posted:

While it's certainly not maturely handled, please tell me that this is some kind of translation issue. I refuse to believe someone wrote something this gross and nonsensical.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm out of the loop. Who the gently caress is Swedish Dracula

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

I remember the stories in the original Dark Tyrants as being pretty good though, right? Do I have to burn my copy now?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Loomer posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo: :wtc:

This is the bestworst thing ever. It reads like something straight off a 15 year old's Angelfire site.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Loomer posted:

A grown-rear end man wrote that. And thought it was good. So did other people. And they published it.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pounded in the butt by my nostalgia for 90's sex-murder.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So apparently vampires gently caress in masquerade now?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I'm out of the loop. Who the gently caress is Swedish Dracula

Martin Ericsson
He's Sweedish
The official white wolf artwork for Dracula is a touched up photo of him dressed up as Dracula

Hence: Swedracula.

crime fighting hog posted:

A grown-rear end man wrote that. And thought it was good. So did other people. And they published it.

He's the lead storyteller for the World of Darkness, there's literally no one over his head who can say "You can't publish this."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

So apparently vampires gently caress in masquerade now?

Maybe. I guess. I can't really tell what's happening in that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mendrian posted:

Maybe. I guess. I can't really tell what's happening in that scene.

I mean it's fairly self-explanatory, really.