Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Nah I like all the DI Menzies stories, they're pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know they're going for,"Seen it all" with her but I did find her delivery came across as a little bored in places - in general she's interesting though and would have made for an interesting companion. I did like the conversation she has with the Doctor about just that at the end of Raincloud Man.

Best part is the Behind the Scenes where she talks about keeping two boxed copies of her Novice Hame toy... for about a day before she couldn't resist any longer and opened them up so she could play with them :3:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Doom Coalition actually made the Hybrid Prophecy sort of make sense. By observing the end of Gallifrey, the hybrid ensures it. It isn't necessarily some threat of destruction - it's the fact that by observing its end, Gallifrey will, one day, be destroyed.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Help, I only have The War Games left and then I'm out of watchable Troughton. I mean then I have his missing stories I can go back and listen through, and then I can start the Companion Chronicles for his era next time Big Finish have a sale on that range, but this is the last time I get to actually watch one of his stories for the first time at least until someone finally cracks Mugabe's vault

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Box of Bunnies posted:

Help, I only have The War Games left and then I'm out of watchable Troughton. I mean then I have his missing stories I can go back and listen through, and then I can start the Companion Chronicles for his era next time Big Finish have a sale on that range, but this is the last time I get to actually watch one of his stories for the first time at least until someone finally cracks Mugabe's vault

Don't worry!

In a few months

And I can't believe I get to say this

We'll have Power of the Daleks to watch!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have they even dropped a trailer yet so we can see how good/bad this is gonna look?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

Have they even dropped a trailer yet so we can see how good/bad this is gonna look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ib3IEIT0Yw

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

Don't worry!

In a few months

Oh hey that reminds me...... WE GET TO WATCH POWER OF THE DALEKS! :woop:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Even if the animation is utter dogshit, it's still nice to finally have a finished product that isn't some wonky narration stitched together with telesnaps that I had to :filez: off a torrent site. Everything else is just bonus.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

Don't worry!

In a few months

I'm taking a bit of a wait and see approach on that before getting too excited. The previously released animation for missing episodes has worked as supplemental to the remaining episodes but I don't know how that quality will really stand up for a full six episode story.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even if the animation is utter dogshit, it's still nice to finally have a finished product that isn't some wonky narration stitched together with telesnaps that I had to :filez: off a torrent site. Everything else is just bonus.

I like these versions for the missing stories. They pretty much play like audio book/radio drama hybrids which works for me. Listened through all of Hartnell's missing stories this way and really enjoyed them.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm not sure which ones you got but there's a torrent of all the Loose Cannon recons put together that are actually pretty high quality for what they are.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

I hate to tell you...but BF just had a sale on Companion Chronicles a couple weeks ago.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The Cloister Bell has now been so downgraded it's being used for when someone potentially doesn't subscribe to a youtube channel

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Class broadcast info for Australia: episodes will go up on iView right after airing in the UK and will then play on ABC2 a couple of days later.

jivjov posted:

I hate to tell you...but BF just had a sale on Companion Chronicles a couple weeks ago.

Nah, I know. I grabbed the Hartnell-era stories I didn't have and a couple of the more interesting sounding Pertwee ones (Ghost in the Machine and The Scorchies) from that one. I can wait :shobon:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Nah, I know. I grabbed the Hartnell-era stories I didn't have and a couple of the more interesting sounding Pertwee ones (Ghost in the Machine and The Scorchies) from that one. I can wait :shobon:

You shoulda been like me...I bought the works. Every CC (other than Season 1, sadly) is now mine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Tangentially related: but Tom Baker plays a character in the 3rd season of Star Wars rebels. Force user, very ancient and very mysterious. And uses the exact same intonation and vocal tics as the 4th Doctor. Close your eyes and all these Star Wars people are just conversing with a Gallifreyan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

Tangentially related: but Tom Baker plays a character in the 3rd season of Star Wars rebels. Force user, very ancient and very mysterious. And uses the exact same intonation and vocal tics as the 4th Doctor. Close your eyes and all these Star Wars people are just conversing with a Gallifreyan.

Like the 10th Doctor on Clone Wars!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Cloister Bell has now been so downgraded it's being used for when someone potentially doesn't subscribe to a youtube channel

They never even explain it in the revival series. To most viewers now it's just the Tardis alarm.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PriorMarcus posted:

They never even explain it in the revival series. To most viewers now it's just the Tardis alarm.

It was bollocks anyway

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It was bollocks anyway

It's a pity, because it fit really well into Season 18. One of the themes of my review (I'll get back to it someday, I swear) was going to be the Baroque/Renaissance themes and motifs that make that season so distinctive, and the Fourth Doctor's literal death knell absolutely qualifies.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Cerv posted:

Heads up people who don't have jobs to go to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/writing_doctor_who_30sept16

quote:

BBC Writersroom presents Writing Doctor Who

Join Doctor Who’s multi-award-winning lead writer and executive producer, Steven Moffat, alongside the show’s script editor, Nick Lambon, to discover the journey from initial story idea to shooting script and beyond...

Steven Moffat and Nick Lambon will be interviewed on stage then it’s over to you as we throw the session open in an audience Q&A.

If you’ve ever wondered how a Doctor Who script is developed from pre-production to "Action!", this very special event with two of the show’s most important figures is an absolute must-see!

Friday30 September1.45pm
BBC Radio Theatre, London
Minimum age: 18
Maximum of 2 tickets per request
first time i've actually been drawn in a BBC ticket raffle, and work's declined my leave request 😭

any takers? they're named tickets so one of you should be a guy to avoid suspicion. otherwise calling tomorrow to return them

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
So what's the deal with 'Class'? Is it aimed at a Sarah Jane-level audience or a Torchwood-level audience? I can't seem to find any decent answer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cerv posted:

first time i've actually been drawn in a BBC ticket raffle, and work's declined my leave request 😭

any takers? they're named tickets so one of you should be a guy to avoid suspicion. otherwise calling tomorrow to return them
Oh look, you've come down with a cold on that day and can't leave bed :effort:.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I decided to go ahead and grab The Unbound Universe before it goes up from its preorder price in a few days. The allure of Warner and Kisgart was too much ._.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Creature posted:

So what's the deal with 'Class'? Is it aimed at a Sarah Jane-level audience or a Torchwood-level audience? I can't seem to find any decent answer.

It's for teens.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

I decided to go ahead and grab The Unbound Universe before it goes up from its preorder price in a few days. The allure of Warner and Kisgart was too much ._.

Why did they bother keeping the Sam Kisgart name when they stuck his face right there on the cover?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Why did they bother keeping the Sam Kisgart name when they stuck his face right there on the cover?

I assume they're just keeping it on for a bit of fun? Though it'd make more sense to use a different anagram of Mark Gatiss for this story if they really wanted to commit to the joke :shrug:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
David Warner's Doctor is so good. This box set giving us four more hours of him is like a gift from Who God. If you like his previous stories get this thing even if you don't know poo poo about Benny like I didn't, it's well worth it for Unbound fans.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I listened to the BF 10th Doctor audios! They're ok! True to the RTD area, the soundmix is terrible and the music drowns out the audio sometimes.

Also, the War Doctor set 2 is really good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just a heads up if anyone picks up the $25 All-in-One Destiny of the Doctors release; the track sorting is a bit broken. If you're not familiar, the Destiny line was 11 stories, one per doctor (sans War, no second story for 10b), released in the run up to the 50th Anniversary. The BF App treats each story as a separate disc/track; and not as a chapter in a single track. And they bungled the sorting. If you let the app play Destiny without interference, you will hear the following:

1, 10, 11, Interview/Bonus (This is filed as Track/Disc 12 internally), 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

and thus be out of order. You'll have to manually skip ahead to the 2nd Doctor track after the 1's story, and then back to the 10th Doctor track after the 9th's story.

I reached out to BF on Facebook and was told that the digital guys would be notified...but no idea if/when they'll actually fix it.

The_Doctor posted:

And just think...set 3 is juuuuust around the corner. (Really hoping for a first week of October release as an "apology" for the delay)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A good Big Finish sale this weekend on Short Trips. The collected volumes are included, plus the 2015 set of stories. And, finally, they're making some of the older Subscriber-exclusive Short Trips available for general purchase. There will be a 2 year exclusivity period, plus subscribers are still getting them for free.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

My favorite part of the second boxset is:

David Warner: Oh my friend John Hurt is going to be at the Big Finish studios, I'll just pop in and say hello!
gets cast as a major villain
David Warner: Why does this keep happening?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite part of the second boxset is:

David Warner: Oh my friend John Hurt is going to be at the Big Finish studios, I'll just pop in and say hello!
gets cast as a major villain
David Warner: Why does this keep happening?

It's a shame he always ends up as villains given his Doctor is such a perfect balance of terse but playful hero. He does that kind of tired, grandfatherly so well.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Box of Bunnies posted:

It's a shame he always ends up as villains given his Doctor is such a perfect balance of terse but playful hero. He does that kind of tired, grandfatherly so well.

He had a fun role in Deimos I think. Unless it was Phobos.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
October's Listener's Title (download discounted to $2.99) is from the main range. #77, 8th Doctor, Other Lives

It's been awhile since I listened to it, but I remember enjoying it. Kinda plays with the same general themes from the first Family of Blood episode with Tennant; with the Doctor and his companions having...well...other lives.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

How are those short trips that used to be subscriber-only on Big Finish? I may drop the $10 for them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

How are those short trips that used to be subscriber-only on Big Finish? I may drop the $10 for them.

I bought the lot, but haven't had a chance to start them yet. I've heard good things about Museum Peace in particular though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fil5000 posted:

He had a fun role in Deimos I think. Unless it was Phobos.

I have that to look forward to then since I'm only on the third series of the EDAs.

I also liked him in the "Alien on a submarine" Ice Warrior story from series 7.

jivjov posted:

October's Listener's Title (download discounted to $2.99) is from the main range. #77, 8th Doctor, Other Lives

It's been awhile since I listened to it, but I remember enjoying it. Kinda plays with the same general themes from the first Family of Blood episode with Tennant; with the Doctor and his companions having...well...other lives.

I wish they'd drop the second 50 stories of the main range like they did with the first. It doesn't even have to be as steep of a discount as there is there, a fiver a story would be nice. Still, grabbed this.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 1, 2016

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Box of Bunnies posted:

I have that to look forward to then since I'm only on the third series of the EDAs.

I also liked him in the "Alien on a submarine" Ice Warrior story from series 7.

I wish they'd drop the second 50 stories of the main range like they did with the first. It doesn't even have to be as steep of a discount as there is there, a fiver a story would be nice. Still, grabbed this.

51-100 have been discounted to fiver each few times before. They'll do it eventually again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Finally got around to finishing 100 in the lab yesterday. Thought the ending to Bedtime Stories was really unearned and just dark for the sake of it.

Fast forward to the interviews and of course it was written by loving Lidster ...

• Locked thread