Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
A12 is an absolutely incredible fight. Did it through DF and ended up with a double SCH comp, so healing it was an experience and a half, but yeah, it's really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

hoary boulder continues to be the best

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vil posted:

Let me reiterate my love for the mullet and the new highlander pose. And Nthing all the comments praising this patch's MSQ. Their writers have come a long way from the 2.0-2.2/2.3 snoozefest.

The servers dynamically open and close based on current population at the moment, but the link in question only updates a few times a day. I'd agree with most of your advice (don't spam, try early morning, bad odds with new patch), but it's worth noting that the servers can temporarily open up even if the link doesn't update to announce that fact.

Best way to get a new character onto a high pop server is to pony up the :20bux: for a transfer, there are no restrictions on those except the character must have been created at least 72 hours beforehand.

Next best ways are to try for things like early morning, pre-patch lulls (and conversely not post-patch periods of interest, so right now is extra bad), and getting in right after maintenance, especially if it was unexpected maintenance (emergency maintenance or server crash) rather than predictable patch maintenance.

Heavensward has been one extended slam dunk by the writing team and now they're just hanging from the hoop screaming their heads off and I don't think they're coming down until 4.0 :ohdear:

MadiTC
May 31, 2011
Does anyone know if you have to be level 60 to get the patches for Wondrous Tails? One of my challenges is doing a level 1-49 dungeon and it'd be nice to level up one of my tanks and get the reward for Tails.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yes you can complete low level objectives on a sub-60 class.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Saigyouji posted:

A12 is an absolutely incredible fight. Did it through DF and ended up with a double SCH comp, so healing it was an experience and a half, but yeah, it's really really good.

A12 is easily the coolest thing in the game and blows every boss they've done out of the water. Holy poo poo the time bubbles mid fight that take you back to the cutscene and explains what happened. 20/10 raids series finale.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I really hope that joke by the Borel manservant about their number being countable on the fingers of one hand was intentional, because holy poo poo that's an obscure joke.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ahaha the book in Gubal HM about spell naming :allears:

shas
Jul 27, 2011

that Titan fight :smith:

shas fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 28, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Re-iterating that the 3.4 content is amazing. The MSQ didn't even have that much compared to 3.3 but jam-packed a lot of action very quickly.

The Titan re-fight is heartbreaking. Also was I the only one that suspected that Derplander and Roegadark had something going on between them? Calling each other by their first names and everything.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
A9S was pretty fun. Judging by the normal floors, the rest of this raid tier should be the most fun out of all three tiers!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I look forward to seeing videos of the savage quick time event

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ApplesandOranges posted:

Re-iterating that the 3.4 content is amazing. The MSQ didn't even have that much compared to 3.3 but jam-packed a lot of action very quickly.

The Titan re-fight is heartbreaking. Also was I the only one that suspected that Derplander and Roegadark had something going on between them? Calling each other by their first names and everything.

Nah. If you pay attention to the chat bubbles during the final confrontation, he calls them by their names when directing them to go after you or Alisaie. I figure the PLD saying his name is just so you can know his name too. I don't think we ever know the name of their Lalafell and Elezen companions though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Argas posted:

Nah. If you pay attention to the chat bubbles during the final confrontation, he calls them by their names when directing them to go after you or Alisaie. I figure the PLD saying his name is just so you can know his name too. I don't think we ever know the name of their Lalafell and Elezen companions though.

The Elezen gets named once, very quickly. The lalafell never does get named.

And, contrary to what they said for years, we do find out that the elezen is in fact the snooty dude from the 1.0 trailer. I'm slightly bummed they couldn't get the actors from the original cinematic intro back, but it has been half a decade. At least Arbert was a pretty good soundalike.

Man that was a full MSQ. I still feel like it didn't answer every question, that Hydaelyn isn't telling us everything and I do wonder if it'll be that simple to save the First, but it was a good way to handle Minfilia having a "must go now" moment and get her problematic character out of the story.

Meanwhile, looking forward to Ilberd getting a lot more development and being the primary villain of Stormblood.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It kind of felt like they went from 'we're doing this so our entire planet doesn't get obliterated by Light' to 'oh welp Minfilia can go there and save the day, everything's fine' a bit too quickly. I wish there was a patch or two more of development. Though it's all but stated that they're going to die when they go back to the First, so it's not a completely happy ending.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All of my squadron recruits from completed challenges are Potatoes or Male Au Ra and I don't want either of those things anywhere near me at any point.

My challenges aren't giving a good return on recruitment papers either :negative:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

All of my squadron recruits from completed challenges are Potatoes or Male Au Ra and I don't want either of those things anywhere near me at any point.

My challenges aren't giving a good return on recruitment papers either :negative:

Same, Guild Hest, Crafting and Dungeon challenges have given me Potatoes and Au Ra only.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got a catboy by fishing

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

vOv posted:

It kind of felt like they went from 'we're doing this so our entire planet doesn't get obliterated by Light' to 'oh welp Minfilia can go there and save the day, everything's fine' a bit too quickly. I wish there was a patch or two more of development. Though it's all but stated that they're going to die when they go back to the First, so it's not a completely happy ending.

I'm 40% sure they're just setting up for the WoD to come in and help us save Eorzea and the end of the next expansion or something. Kinda like the ending of FFIII.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've only gotten a male Au Ra and a female Roe so far.

I want more Roes and Highlanders.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A femroe harem is ideal. Optimal even.

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

why is this my first recruit
help

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lucky!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
First day impressions:

Alexander story owns and the Creator storyline retroactively absolves the stupidity of the first two.

Alexander music, **especially** A12's Music owns harder.

Sophia is neat but I didn't really get what was going on in our normal mode one-shot; even though I didn't die or get knocked off?

Savage Alex is really fun so far (cleared A9 despite server issues and peeked into A10)

---

Raid-centric as my first day was, i'm really enjoying the theme and design of the new stuff, and i'm super glad how well Creator's story turned out.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I forgot that I was playing FF14 today, doing all of the 3.4 content. I queued in to a Leveling DR for Wondrous Tails, and ended up in a Dusk Vigil party where the tank was getting hit for 30% of their health from the first enemy auto-attacks. I can't Cleric Stance this, I can barely heal them normally! What's going on?

Oh... Ohhh... :stare:

(There was a BLM geared similarly with a white level 49 staff as well. It took ~8-9 minutes to get to the first Mylodon)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I think this got lost last night so gonna ask again.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I hit 60 with my first crafter class today. Most of the others are at 55, with a couple still at 50 because I haven't really touched them. Thanks to the moogles I have the 58 DoH clothing, but I'm not sure what the next steps are for gearing up, besides using more moogle quests to level up my other crafters as well.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Emalde posted:

I forgot that I was playing FF14 today, doing all of the 3.4 content. I queued in to a Leveling DR for Wondrous Tails, and ended up in a Dusk Vigil party where the tank was getting hit for 30% of their health from the first enemy auto-attacks. I can't Cleric Stance this, I can barely heal them normally! What's going on?

Oh... Ohhh... :stare:

(There was a BLM geared similarly with a white level 49 staff as well. It took ~8-9 minutes to get to the first Mylodon)

I imagine new players going in basically blind don't realize the huge jump on the item level curve going into Heavensward. Did you let them know that they should probably pick up some upgrades from Ishgard's vendors?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Xarbala posted:

I imagine new players going in basically blind don't realize the huge jump on the item level curve going into Heavensward. Did you let them know that they should probably pick up some upgrades from Ishgard's vendors?

The arguable point is that the 2.1-2.55 MSQs should have given much better gear by then. Unless these were people that stopped playing way back then before item rewards were updated and only just came back.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

The arguable point is that the 2.1-2.55 MSQs should have given much better gear by then. Unless these were people that stopped playing way back then before item rewards were updated and only just came back.

Fair cop.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Dr Snofeld posted:

I think this got lost last night so gonna ask again.

Look into doing scrip crafting to get yourself a blue set of armour and from there start working your way towards carbonweave and ironworks crafting gear.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Tortolia posted:

Good content so far this patch. Gubal is great, Sophia was a neat fight, A9 is really impressive. Squadrons and Wondrous Tales seem like nice additions too.

Also the new Aquapolis door animations are hilariously cruel. There's now a fake out where the screen actually starts fading to black before they bust out the rainbows and open the door for you.

We did find that at least one of the new tree decorations for yards come from Aquapolis.

The ones that were there already were bad enough, you mean they made them even more fakeout?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ignimbrite posted:

Look into doing scrip crafting to get yourself a blue set of armour and from there start working your way towards carbonweave and ironworks crafting gear.

The moogle quests let you get the l58 blue scrip crafter and gatherer sets for kupo nuts, so probably best to start buying master 3 books first. You need those for most of the counterfoil recipes.

What do folks tend to use to get red crafting scrips? I have seriously neglected those.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
dang wanted to hop on this morning to do my ventures/squadrons and a 78 person queue

e: and a dc on login, then back to queue for another 86 people

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tortolia posted:

What do folks tend to use to get red crafting scrips? I have seriously neglected those.

Birch Fishing Rods or Noble Gold/Codex

e: rip excalibur and/or primal

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, I think the server shat the bed. Just as I was getting out of POTD, too. I hope my progress got saved.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Birch Fishing Rods or Noble Gold/Codex

e: rip excalibur and/or primal
It's the whole data center. I'm on Famfrit and it's doing the same thing.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
okay good glad its not just me

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah primal's poo poo the bed hard.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

The Elezen gets named once, very quickly. The lalafell never does get named.

And, contrary to what they said for years, we do find out that the elezen is in fact the snooty dude from the 1.0 trailer. I'm slightly bummed they couldn't get the actors from the original cinematic intro back, but it has been half a decade. At least Arbert was a pretty good soundalike.

Man that was a full MSQ. I still feel like it didn't answer every question, that Hydaelyn isn't telling us everything and I do wonder if it'll be that simple to save the First, but it was a good way to handle Minfilia having a "must go now" moment and get her problematic character out of the story.

Meanwhile, looking forward to Ilberd getting a lot more development and being the primary villain of Stormblood.

I was hoping to come in here and telling you I knew, but not even the game files has their names. Usually the actor files for cut scenes have real names, but this time it's just <JOB>OFDARKNESS> for all of them

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

ilifinicus posted:

I was hoping to come in here and telling you I knew, but not even the game files has their names. Usually the actor files for cut scenes have real names, but this time it's just <JOB>OFDARKNESS> for all of them

is there any data on what the later rewards for squadrons are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Yeah, it crashed for me right after I finished my first run of Sad Town.

In happier news, Aquariums are amazing, yo.

• Locked thread