Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Arsten posted:

I'm not allowed to laugh at others, anymore? :(

What has SHSC become??

eh? No, I just meant I read the exchange and it hurt my brain, sorry :(

v----- yeah :psyboom: is very apt for what happened.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Arsten posted:

We have a new operations manager who is trying to get in good with IT. I was nearby making a nuisance of myself for future project plans and was idly chatting with a PM outside his office when I hear:

:smug: At my last job, we deployed a slash three-twelve network. It was great and really sped up our network. We should do that here.
Random IT Guy he's talking to: A....'slash three-twelve' network?
:smug: Yeah! It's great! It runs over Category 6E four pair copper wires! It's much better than the stuff we are using.
RITG: ....Why don't you bring that up to the VP?
:smug: You know what? I will!
*marches into VPs office down the hall. RITG goes back to whatever he was doing and I go back to my conversation with the PM and we migrate into his office.

Ten minutes later, the VP drags him into the PM's office and asks the PM to draw up plans to replace their 6 wiring with Cat 6E wiring 'and make sure to budget for the marketing bullshit for the 6E part!'
And then he turns around and tells the Ops Manager to not bother bringing him any more ideas.

:psyboom:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MF_James posted:

eh? No, I just meant I read the exchange and it hurt my brain, sorry :(

I was just being a dick. Don't mind me. Nothing to see here.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did you figure out what a slash three twelve was?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man the IETF is gonna blow a gasket when they learn people are running a 312 bit address space. That's like two and a half ipv6's, so much bits!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Did you figure out what a slash three twelve was?

I assume it was a /312 block of the IP space. I've been lazy and haven't gotten up to speed on IPv12, yet, though, so I'm probably wrong.

Edit:

xzzy posted:

Man the IETF is gonna blow a gasket when they learn people are running a 312 bit address space. That's like two and a half ipv6's, so much bits!

Hey, this guy is the most forward thinker we have. At my last gig, I was only upgrading their 2003 servers to 2012. He was inventing the future. :v:

Arsten fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 27, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Remember when they said a /56 should be enough for anyone

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I remember in networking class the teacher laughing at the girl who went "But if we can only put 4.3m devices online, won't we run out?" According to him, it is utterly implausible to imagine a future where you need a full 4.3m IPs!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Arsten posted:

And then he turns around and tells the Ops Manager to not bother bringing him any more ideas.

:master:

Also reading this thread always serves as a grim reminder of the little lovely things I need to do despite working on bigger things :(

- "Bigger boss told me to tell you that apparently someone is starting on Monday, they need a computer and sit next to [person]" Cool beans thanks for the no info
- Seminar presenter person needs her phone swapping to an iPhone, because Windows mobile is just too difficult to mail and make calls from, AKA I'm a snowflake and will be getting something dug out the old phone box

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Pissing me right the gently caress off: Surface Hubs. $25,000 for these loving things and while they're awesome, they also loving suck. You can't join them to a local domain, so no GPOs, they don't adhere to Lync's Call Admission controls (like for example BANDWIDTH LIMITS). loving fuckers. For the $75,000 we spent, Microsoft should send someone to rub my feet while I try to get these things to not loving clobber our MPLS traffic.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

mewse posted:

Yeah we have a guy who was a navy seal as well. I paid $20 to get a letter saying they have no records of him

He was in a special unit. It's classified.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DigitalMocking posted:

Pissing me right the gently caress off: Surface Hubs. $25,000 for these loving things and while they're awesome, they also loving suck.
Isn't that the Surface brand's tagline?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

porkface posted:

He was in a special unit. It's classified.

Covertly honorably discharged

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Thanks Ants posted:

256 /64 networks seems plenty good for the home user. I can see a business wanting the /48 they originally recommended.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Earlier this year the IT manager was talking about sending a pile of people down to Florida for the Splunk conference down there. The initial number was something like 5 IT admins, myself included, and 2 managers. Then a month later, they said that due to budget concerns, one person wouldn't be able to go. A week later, another person was dropped. By the end of July, the number of admins going was down to 1, but somehow both managers are still going.
Oddly enough, the conference is at Disney World and both mangers brought their SO, so for the cost of an extra plane ticket, free week vacation.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

Earlier this year the IT manager was talking about sending a pile of people down to Florida for the Splunk conference down there. The initial number was something like 5 IT admins, myself included, and 2 managers. Then a month later, they said that due to budget concerns, one person wouldn't be able to go. A week later, another person was dropped. By the end of July, the number of admins going was down to 1, but somehow both managers are still going.
Oddly enough, the conference is at Disney World and both mangers brought their SO, so for the cost of an extra plane ticket, free week vacation.

My industry has a conference every year. First year, it was in Kalamazoo, MI and boss was too busy so he flew me up. Next year, it was in Nashville, TN, so he sent me again and I didn't even get to fly. This year it's in San Diego and lo and behold he's got time to go, the plant manager has time, and the COO are going to go.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone who works for our ERP vendor (well, the one we are switching from) wrote this letter of recomendation for AS/400 guy

As a member of the technical support team for xxx's ERP vendor, I worked closely with xxx for more than 13 years. We have worked on a wide range of projects from ERP Implementation to improvements in process or technology to support various Manufacturing, Inventory, Sales and CRM initiatives.
xxx really stands out for the results he has delivered to his company! In my 17 years of implementing and supporting ERP, xxx has produced more results for his company than almost any else I know.
Rarer still, xxx is that person who can produce results while still being universally regarded as a pleasure to work with. He is unfailingly courteous and pleasant regardless of the urgency or stress of a situation.
xxx is also generous with his time to others in his professional network. He is a consistent and valued presenter at our annual Users Conference.
John Smith
ERP Project Manager, Technical Support
xxxxxx

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I've been working from home more often, and I need to bolster my desk game. Anyone recommend a good desk lamp that is bright, has regular color (not harsh white, or adjustable), and has a couple USB ports on it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ikea do some really good LED stuff for decent money.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/work-lamps/riggad-led-work-lamp-w-wireless-charging-art-20280684/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I saw that, but I don't need wireless charging.

This looks pretty good:
Link: https://amzn.com/B00APAQSP6

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This looks pretty good:

Elune be praised!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I love it when our ISP randomly decides to blackhole all traffic destined for our equipment at 9am on a Wednesday.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sheep posted:

I love it when our ISP randomly decides to blackhole all traffic destined for our equipment at 9am on a Wednesday.

I had an ISP once assign my IP to another client simultaneously. It was madness. Everything would work for a few seconds, and then it'd all stop and start again, for days it was like that.

The only way I could prove it was to allow my public interface to respond to pings, and then ping. After a while I'd shut down my firewall, and the pings would respond, showing that it was hitting something else that was still online. It was a complete and utter nightmare. I had a few trace routes, but they didn't care, since I think the site was close enough where only the last hop was different. Eventually they were like "oh, we see something, lol we fixed it." We complained and demanded an explanation and they sent us that back.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
If you've got a good lamp fixture you like, I highly recommend the Philips Hue line as a bulb. I picked up a starter pack a couple years ago, and pretty quickly replaced almost every bulb in my house. The white-only sets are inexpensive now, but the color bulbs are absolutely worth it. Tuning it to the red spectrum in the evening is amazingly relaxing. I can get in the shower in the morning, and the bulbs will slowly turn bright white while I'm waking up.

I can schedule everything so my lights come on in the evening, and not have to worry about those annoying plug-in times. The Hue Tap accessory doesn't use batteries, and can be put anywhere. There's some really terrible switch placements in my 60 year old house, and the Tap lets me did that without running new wires and junction boxes.

The Hue system is absolutely worth it, and it'd be the second or third thing I'd replace it my house burned down.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If you've got a good lamp fixture you like, I highly recommend the Philips Hue line as a bulb. I picked up a starter pack a couple years ago, and pretty quickly replaced almost every bulb in my house. The white-only sets are inexpensive now, but the color bulbs are absolutely worth it. Tuning it to the red spectrum in the evening is amazingly relaxing. I can get in the shower in the morning, and the bulbs will slowly turn bright white while I'm waking up.

I can schedule everything so my lights come on in the evening, and not have to worry about those annoying plug-in times. The Hue Tap accessory doesn't use batteries, and can be put anywhere. There's some really terrible switch placements in my 60 year old house, and the Tap lets me did that without running new wires and junction boxes.

The Hue system is absolutely worth it, and it'd be the second or third thing I'd replace it my house burned down.

I really don't, I need a desk lamp.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I had an ISP once assign my IP to another client simultaneously. It was madness. Everything would work for a few seconds, and then it'd all stop and start again, for days it was like that.

The only way I could prove it was to allow my public interface to respond to pings, and then ping. After a while I'd shut down my firewall, and the pings would respond, showing that it was hitting something else that was still online. It was a complete and utter nightmare. I had a few trace routes, but they didn't care, since I think the site was close enough where only the last hop was different. Eventually they were like "oh, we see something, lol we fixed it." We complained and demanded an explanation and they sent us that back.

Took these geniuses four hours to realize that they randomly pushed a config change that sent all our incoming traffic nowhere instead of to our address. This is after they "went through the config line by line with a known good backup".

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This looks pretty good:

I have one of the Taotronics lamps. The touch controls are nifty but really inconvenient to actually use. Also whenever I turn it on, it goes to medium brightness no matter what setting it was at when i turned it off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Having worked at a teir 1 isp for a bit back in the 90's, the issue is they drop in green admins for the first level of support because they're cheap to hire. They might be smart at other stuff but aren't equipped to be messing around with network config. The handful of actual experienced staffers that designed the infrastructure and know every nook and cranny become mysteriously unavailable when poo poo goes south.

So you get a lot of rear end scratching around a monolith until one of the chimps figures out they can use a bone as a club.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Edit: post is not edit.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

xzzy posted:

Having worked at a teir 1 isp for a bit back in the 90's, the issue is they drop in green admins for the first level of support because they're cheap to hire. They might be smart at other stuff but aren't equipped to be messing around with network config. The handful of actual experienced staffers that designed the infrastructure and know every nook and cranny become mysteriously unavailable when poo poo goes south.

So you get a lot of rear end scratching around a monolith until one of the chimps figures out they can use a bone as a club.

This would certainly explain a lot with my ISP experience. My favorite of which was one of my switches elected itself as the root bridge for STP on the ISP managed VPLS and they said it was my fault. Obviously I turned MSTP off on that port, but really guys? They also tried to blame me for an outage they tried to claim was directly related to this issue. gently caress off.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Oh, God, I thought we were the only ones. This happened 2 years ago and it took 2 days to get a Comcast tech out to fix it; meanwhile, we were practically frozen as EVERYTHING relied on us being in touch with the corporate office as their ERP and our QuickBooks file were all on their servers.

The QB file is hosted on my computer after that debacle, so at least now we're not TOTALLY paralyzed...just can't double-enter as we go! :downsgun:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It turns out that the hush-hush project that has been consuming so much time and energy of our design and construction people over the last six months is the renovation of the CEO's mansion.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So we agree to push ahead with new CRM and new VOIP this Thursday, despite multiple shitstorms going on I prep a few IP Phones and provision them against the new system ready for the morning to start forwarding service numbers.

Suddenly...

"Hey we decided to postpone things until Friday, can you make sure everything is back to normal"
"It's 5:00pm, I haven't gotten to grips enough with the new system to begin thinking about undoing this, plus I highly doubt ticketing both provider's support will come back in time."
:what:

Some times I come home and just draw a blank on the day's activities, lots of organizing, coordinating and explaining, a crypto scare, configuring, account management. Coming home to feed 10mth old junior beef stew is a nice change of pace.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

D34THROW posted:

The QB file is hosted on my computer after that debacle

You still have a debacle in progress.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You still have a debacle in progress.

Eh, it means we don't get cut off from THAT at least if we lose connectivity to corporate like we do every other week when their servers collapse under Dynamics NAV.

However, the company file DOES decided to poo poo itself once in a while and then I'm non-productive while the IT guy remotes in and tries to fix it, which usually happens once every couple of months for the main one (or every loving week for the old QB that we have to access every once in a while for old records and such).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Pretend I'm singing this to you like it was a campy ad jingle: You should have the QB file on a server or NAS or something in the office instead of your personal computerrrrrrrrrr

Also what's your backup regimen for that PC *jazz hands*

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 28, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inspector_666 posted:

Pretend I'm singing this to you like it was a campy ad jingle: You should have the QB file on a server or NAS or something in the office instead of your personal computerrrrrrrrrr

Don't worry. He runs a backup job that fails most of the time and when he remembers to check it he makes a note to fix it later. It's also all his companies confidential financial data that probably already has a cryptolocker worn waiting dormant.

Oh well one time copied it onto a thumb drive that is just right over oh wait where did I put that. I could have sworn it was this one but it's full of anime. Now I remember I had to format it to make a Windows install USB but I figure the backup was working because I check it last week and made a note to fix it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Inspector_666 posted:

server_drives.jpg

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

My boss keeps a backup on a flash drive but it's woefully outdated :haw:

No, I know this is a nightmare...we HAVE a spare loving PC that can sit right on the desk behind mine, but this PC has the X:\ drive mapped to it on the network, pointing to the folder where the QB stuff is kept.

If I brought this up to the CFO, I'd be told it's fine, no worries, yadda yadda. I have no policy power, I'm just the service coordinator. \

They DO have the financial data on here, but it's all sorta backed up by NAV at corporate. NAV sucks for what we do, so we use QB for about 40% of what we do here in terms of customer-facing retail, estimating, and invoicing while the real magic in terms of material and time happens in NAV.

It's a loving nightmare and my boss said if she ever buys the business, we're going back to QB.

Fun side note: Our CFO and CEO have been overheard remarking how much they regret buying us because we're so set in our ways (being a 40-year-old business that's been doing things the same way for at LEAST the past 20 or so) that they can't mold us to their corporate ethos and methods. Great attitude, dudes :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

It turns out that the hush-hush project that has been consuming so much time and energy of our design and construction people over the last six months is the renovation of the CEO's mansion.

And you've just found out because it's your turn to go there and sort out the networking drops, right?