Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Speaking of Perceive, I got to a segment of it in Case 5, Trial - Day 2. I'm glad it was really obvious, because while Apollo is the best, I hate that minigame so much. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jsor posted:

Apollo's Bracelet is just a worse version of the Magatama. They both detect when people are lying/concealing information, but the Magatama plays into the game mechanics whereas the bracelet is just a lovely infuriating minigame.

Even the Magatama has feedback from what you're doing, and it's just a guideline to proving stuff with evidence. Apollo's Bracelet is literally him standing there pointing at someone and yelling "YOU'RE LYING! YOU'RE TWITCHING YOUR THUMB AND THAT MEANS YOU'RE A LYING LIAR WHO LIES!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm lenient towards the bracelet stuff because i picture Apollo going like this

But yeah, it's easily the worst "power" of the bunch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Percieve wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to s i t t h r o u g h t h e v e r y s l o w t e x t and instead could skip back and forth like you can in every other gimmick.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Percieve wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to s i t t h r o u g h t h e v e r y s l o w t e x t and instead could skip back and forth like you can in every other gimmick.

yeah. normally it's pretty easy to identify the shifty part of a statement, it's just waiting for it to come around again so you can check one more spot before it repeats that's annoying

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Perceive got a lot better for me when I realized you could pause it and look around at your leisure by pressing the Perceive button and not confirming and just looking around for the one moving thing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even the Magatama has feedback from what you're doing, and it's just a guideline to proving stuff with evidence. Apollo's Bracelet is literally him standing there pointing at someone and yelling "YOU'RE LYING! YOU'RE TWITCHING YOUR THUMB AND THAT MEANS YOU'RE A LYING LIAR WHO LIES!"

Uhh, actually, this never happens and instead Apollo uses the tic as a jumping off point for his logic. Like "oh, you're nervous about this part of your testimony? I should probably rethink it and examine the evidence again" etc. You always end up proving it with hard evidence in the end.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't mind Perceive so much since Apollo generally follows up with evidence as to WHY they're fiddling or whatever. Either that or it's a damning tic like when (AA4)Machi glances at Lamiroir, proving he isn't blind

Honestly I kinda like the perceive system, even though it rarely gets any use anymore :(

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like Perceive as a concept, I think it's quite interesting that the body gives away the person in the most subtle ways. really plays into the idea that the truth can't be escaped and every possibility has to be examined.

The mini game would be acceptable if you could flip through the statements though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Amppelix posted:

Yeah but the script reads to me like he was supposed to be a sympathetic character and you were supposed to feel sad for him having fallen to murder in the end. But I just can't, because he's a big sexist dick who holds stupid grudges for stupid reasons and who got Ami Fey killed for basically no reason. I don't care how much you literally call him cool in the game Takumi, I'm not buying it!

Yeah, this is my feeling on the matter. I can't get invested in his hatred of Phoenix when his hatred for Phoenix has a motive that is both sexist and stupid as hell.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I wonder if future games would play with combining older techniques. I was really salty about Insight during play, but after the fact I appreciate how much the game made me think and how accomplished I felt when I figured out the contradiction.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Danaru posted:

I don't mind Perceive so much since Apollo generally follows up with evidence as to WHY they're fiddling or whatever. Either that or it's a damning tic like when (AA4)Machi glances at Lamiroir, proving he isn't blind

Honestly I kinda like the perceive system, even though it rarely gets any use anymore :(

Same here. Like, I really don't mind it at all, though it does get a little annoying waiting for the right line and looking for the tell, but I never felt it was as bad as others say it is. Also, I really do like the theme that's used for it.

It is the worst of the three systems, as I really like the Magatama and the Mood Matrix a whole lot, but still, I like it.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Apollo's bracelet is just a way to give him some insight into a hidden thing. It's not bad but the slow text with no way to go forward or back just makes it hard to deal with.

mabels big day posted:

He did what he had to, and was killed in the line of duty.

Robert didn't believe in his clients and was a punk bitch. Your list blows. :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

Perceive got a lot better for me when I realized you could pause it and look around at your leisure by pressing the Perceive button and not confirming and just looking around for the one moving thing.

I discovered this on the final Perceive in the game (Case 5 Spoiler in the franchise?? ) :eng99:

Just realized the full implications of it, too. You find the part of the statement that's a contradiction, press perceive and now you can look all around for the tic, and that's probably what's intended.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 28, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, I think I'm near the end of Case 5.

Shot to the heart, and you're to blame. :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, I think I'm near the end of Case 5.

Shot to the heart, and you're to blame. :smith:

You are not.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are not.

I should clarify that I meant Amara.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I wonder if future games would play with combining older techniques. I was really salty about Insight during play, but after the fact I appreciate how much the game made me think and how accomplished I felt when I figured out the contradiction.

Insight is the best mechanic gimmick, second only to mood matrix.

Also, as much as I loved seeing Ema again, all the forensics "gameplay" can get tossed in a dumpster as far as I'm concerned.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
In 1.4 Yanni Yogi talks about owning the pasta shop "Wet Noodle" and being the second generation owner. Does that make him a mistranslated Bucky Whet's grandpa?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Poque posted:

In 1.4 Yanni Yogi talks about owning the pasta shop "Wet Noodle" and being the second generation owner. Does that make him a mistranslated Bucky Whet's grandpa?

We know for a fact Yogi didn't have kids so there's no way that's the case. Also they don't have the same surname in Japanese either.

The stuff about the noodle shop was just him pretending to be crazy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

Apollo's bracelet is just a way to give him some insight into a hidden thing. It's not bad but the slow text with no way to go forward or back just makes it hard to deal with.

Robert didn't believe in his clients and was a punk bitch. Your list blows. :colbert:

I still don't believe Will Powers didn't kill that guy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So I just saw the end of Case 5's trial.

I think it's canon that Apollo is the best attorney in the series now. :allears:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So I just saw the end of Case 5's trial.

I think it's canon that Apollo is the best attorney in the series now. :allears:

i wonder if he's still topping the japanese polls?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

i wonder if he's still topping the japanese polls?

They did another poll not too long ago. I think Edgey's at the top now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, that was certainly a wild ride. I'm glad Lamroir told Apollo and Trucy (offscreen) that they were related.

Now to go back through this thread and comment on all of the craziness that was Case 5.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They did another poll not too long ago. I think Edgey's at the top now.

Edgeworth's not a bad choice to lose out to.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm glad Lamroir told Apollo and Trucy

hahahahahaha

E: The big problem with Perceive for me is there was never even that one moment that justified the entire thing like there was with the Mood Matrix, Psyche-Locks, the Chess Dimension (hell this got 2 in one game). Insight didn't really get one on the level of those ones but it was just a consistently good mechanic.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 28, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So I'm kinda missing the whole "Godot was a sexist" angle. Unless you guys are talking about his whole "Phoenix was supposed to protect Mia" thing, but even that only takes a little higher-level reading to realize he doesn't actually feel that way, he's just brokenhearted/insane from waking up from his poison coma to find out that Mia is dead and he's projecting how he hates himself for having been, uh, otherwise indisposed onto Nick. It's not a case of that it was anyone's responsibility to protect her as it is a life-shattering case of the if onlys.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

All of his conversations with Francisca von karma

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He said something to The Franz to the effect of "Hey lady, know your role and shut up."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Godot is a sexist rear end in a top hat and a good and cool character.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh, okay. I didn't even remember him having any interactions with Von Karma, it seems like a weirdly specific thing to fixate on I guess?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"...Upon meeting a beautiful lady, always ask for her name and profession. That's one of my rules."

"Ha...! Well, I guess I owe you one then. But you can go now, princess. It's time for the big boys to take the reins."

"Hey, Filly. Know your role, and shut your mouth. I can't stand women like you."

Also his whole "kitten" thing with Mia.

A character can be flawed and cool also.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He said something to The Franz to the effect of "Hey lady, know your role and shut up."

That's a The Rock line, but it feels oddly in character when said by him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Amppelix posted:

Yeah but the script reads to me like he was supposed to be a sympathetic character and you were supposed to feel sad for him having fallen to murder in the end. But I just can't, because he's a big sexist dick who holds stupid grudges for stupid reasons and who got Ami Fey killed for basically no reason. I don't care how much you literally call him cool in the game Takumi, I'm not buying it!

Misty Fey, but yeah. I was not down with that twist because it basically meant she'd died for no reason at all instead of due to the actions of a villain. Thanks a lot for killing your true love's mother you dipshit.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, yeah, that's the point of his character. Misty died because of Godot's pride and hatred, while Phoenix was the one who carried on Mia's legacy and foiled Morgan's schemes. Godot's faults are part of his character, unlike Klavier who plays fair except when he feels like withholding evidence for the fun of it, or Nahyuta who's serene and a gentleman except when he spends the entire game being a total dickweed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You say that, but everyone treats this reveal as this tragic thing and act like Godot wasn't that bad after all instead of just screaming at him that he's a huge loving rear end in a top hat. It's the same issue as Acro and his tragic plan to murder a child.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kajeesus posted:

Also his whole "kitten" thing with Mia.

The other ones are pretty skeevy, but this one seems like a fairly normal pet name for someone you're dating

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well Godot had intended to save everyone, and just did a poo poo job and admitted he was an idiot fucker at the end. Acro had consciously decided to murder the child his brother loved and only apologized harm caused to the unintended victims. Intent matters a great deal.

E: They weren't dating until after that case. There's a whole thing where he calls her Mia at the end because she's earned his respect.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love Godot, but the end of his arc is really annoying, because he has this realisation that, "Oh, I went about all of this the wrong way, I knew someone was going to kill Maya and instead of taking it all on myself in secrecy I should have told.... Phoenix." Not Maya?? That's another bit that smacks of sexism, that he couldn't think this woman could help herself in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Godot is a cool, fun dude; I can see why some people might not like him, but I believe he's by far better written than Prosecutor Sad Monk by a mile.