Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a trolley posted:

I love Godot, but the end of his arc is really annoying, because he has this realisation that, "Oh, I went about all of this the wrong way, I knew someone was going to kill Maya and instead of taking it all on myself in secrecy I should have told.... Phoenix." Not Maya?? That's another bit that smacks of sexism, that he couldn't think this woman could help herself in any way.

Well like to Godot the whole thing wasn't really about Maya, i'm honestly not that sure he cares about her at all. It was all about him proving he could've totally saved Mia unlike that bastard Phoenix Wright, and he was using Maya as a substitute. Like Maya only mattered to him as 'someone he could save' so of course he never considered just telling her.

Godot's kind of crazy once he gets out of that coma. He gets a job change and becomes a prosecutor out of hatred for his girlfriend's student because he blames him for her death and wants to beat him at court and show him to be a loser. Instead of y'know aiming that hate at the person who killed her. He no longer gives a poo poo about who's really innocent or guilty despite having once been a Defence Attorney, all he cares about is ruining the guy who inherited his girlfriend's office. He tries to save his girlfriend's sister from a crazy murder plot instead of telling her about it or going to the police because if he doesn't save her himself he's no better than that fucker Phoenix Wright.

Dude's messed up. The most messed up. Kinda wish he was treated that way more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I always read his hatred of Wright as him blaming himself for not being there to save Mia and projecting that guilt onto Wright, since "he was there so he should have protected her" rather than that being the actual for real reason. That guilt makes him go sorta bananas and he ends up tying his own noose without realizing it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Dude's messed up. The most messed up. Kinda wish he was treated that way more

There is definitely an interesting character in Godot, but you kind of have to dig it out of his writing. He's not very well presented in game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno, I got it just fine. I mean, I love Phoenix Wright, but this poo poo ain't Shakespeare. If only because there aren't enough dick jokes

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Why do people think Edgeworth is an interesting character?

He isn't bad - but after appearing in almost all the games he feels like he should be way, way more well-rounded as a character. I don't find him interesting to go up against in court, and once he settles into "Nick's friend and rival" he just sort of becomes a forgttable wimp. When he shows up in games after one I feel disappointed I don't get to see any more of the actual cool Prosecutors - I always felt like he was being shoehorned in. Maybe this is why AAI felt like a nothing game to me. Edgeworth has backstory and motivation, yeah, but he doesn't have enough personality to back any of it up or make him interesting to spend time with.

Though I don't know if people would say he "counts", I really liked Barnham from PL V PW. He was a fun character with a moral code - a bit smug, but very charismatic. He was able to turn the tide of an argument as well as rouse everyone in the courtroom to be on his side. He even has a great arc! It's a shame he just loving vanishes towards the end of the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Danaru posted:

The other ones are pretty skeevy, but this one seems like a fairly normal pet name for someone you're dating

He wasn't dating her yet

Godot is incredibly sexist but for the most part it's clear that he isn't being presented in a positive light. The only real problem I have with him is at the very end when Phoenix and Maya are trying to convince him he didn't do anything wrong. Fortunately he argues that they're wrong and while the game somewhat presents his ending as a redemption it's not as though he ever turns up again with everything fine and happy. So in the end I'm mostly alright with how he's handled.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 28, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

There is definitely an interesting character in Godot, but you kind of have to dig it out of his writing. He's not very well presented in game.

Would you say you have to... wait for it?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm pretty sure Godot is just Kamiya after getting sucked into the Ace Attorney world.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

He isn't bad - but after appearing in almost all the games he feels like he should be way, way more well-rounded as a character. I don't find him interesting to go up against in court, and once he settles into "Nick's friend and rival" he just sort of becomes a forgttable wimp. When he shows up in games after one I feel disappointed I don't get to see any more of the actual cool Prosecutors - I always felt like he was being shoehorned in. Maybe this is why AAI felt like a nothing game to me. Edgeworth has backstory and motivation, yeah, but he doesn't have enough personality to back any of it up or make him interesting to spend time with.

Though I don't know if people would say he "counts", I really liked Barnham from PL V PW. He was a fun character with a moral code - a bit smug, but very charismatic. He was able to turn the tide of an argument as well as rouse everyone in the courtroom to be on his side. He even has a great arc! It's a shame he just loving vanishes towards the end of the game.

2 reasons. 1, have you played AAI2? And 2: people want to kiss him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I only just realized that this is the first main series Ace Attorney game since the original to not have any flashback or out of chronological order cases.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edgeworth has a lot of personality, great animations, is satisfying to beat both when he's playing serious and when he's being a poo poo, is relatively well-rounded for a PW character, and rather than having a Gimmick his gimmick is "was the prosecutor" which allows him to be more interesting to face compared to "Gonna whip you nonstop" or "HELLFIRE!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not sure how you can hate his AA2 or 3 appearances either. His appearance in 2 was the high point of the game, and it was the first time you went up against a prosecutor who wasn't hostile or working hard at putting innocents in jail. Miles von Karma in AA3, besides being badass in his own regard, was sandwiched between Godot and the return of Franziska, and highlighted how different the former was as a prosecutor as well as how much the latter had grown since AA2.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Are you serious? How can one character be so great? :allears:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Just some random dialogue from case 3 I found funny:

"If I find out you have lied to me, I shall curse your family and your disciples for eight generations!"

"Hey, leave Apollo and Athena out of this!"

No mention of your loving daughter there, Nick? Do the games ever bring up that Phoenix is middle-aged and has had one girlfriend in his entire life?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he has Maya

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh my god

Case 5 big spoilers:

Amara channeling Inga and Dhurke should be a big plothole because of the hair colour, right?

Except when you go into Inga's room and check the table there's a bottle of hair dye sitting there. L' Belle brand black hair dye.

I had completely forgotten about that and was honestly stumped as to how that trick was working.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calico Heart posted:

Because he's funny and has a well defined personality that contrasts well with most of the other characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Reminds me of another great joke in SoJ Case 5: Edgeworth getting all bent out of shape about the Plumed Punisher.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Thanks for spoiler tags

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I kinda wish the mainline games had a Presto theme like the Investigations games. I feel like the two Investigations ones have the strongest soundtracks, and considering the rest of the series, that's pretty impressive

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yay, I just finished the original trilogy on my series replay! Gonna go chronological this time through and go on to Investigations 1&2 next, then Apollo, then probably Layton vs. because I have to slot it in somewhere.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You should go full chronological next time and play I2-3 (until the start of the final segment), I-4 and 3-4 first.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd have to start with DGS in that case.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

You should go full chronological next time and play I2-3 (until the start of the final segment), I-4 and 3-4 first.

The part that makes this annoying is the final case of Apollo Justice.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I beat Spirit of Justice a few hours ago. Fantastic game, loved the endgame a lot and I'm very happy for Apollo for persevering through Dhurke's death and for staying behind to help rebuild Khura'in's legal system.

Apollo became an instant favorite when I played Dual Destinies and he's only gotten better. He's come so far :unsmith:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious.

(Spoiler tags probably needless, but, case 4)

So the storyteller, right? Taifu Toneido. Okay, I get it. That's a pretty transparent wordplay.

Why does everybody seem to call him Shisho?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fedule posted:

I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious.

(Spoiler tags probably needless, but, case 4)

So the storyteller, right? Taifu Toneido. Okay, I get it. That's a pretty transparent wordplay.

Why does everybody seem to call him Shisho?

It's an honorific for master. Geiru and Uendo are his disciples.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 28, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It took me way too long to get the pun names in case 4. I remember just staring at the profiles and sounding it out over and over, with question marks around my head.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I admit it, I never got the puns in case 4. I'm a bad person.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

I admit it, I never got the puns in case 4. I'm a bad person.

Typhoon, Wind, and Gale Tornado

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's an honorific for master. Geiru and Uendo are his disciples.

I had no idea.

I think this is a tiny bit of a localisation misstep? I'unno, it just seems to fall on the wrong side of things you'd expect not-Japanners to pick up on. I guess it didn't make anything completely incomprehensible, so that's something, especially in a case that hinges on the difference between soba and udon noodles.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

watch more anime nerd

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anyone have that comic showing how nonsensical case 5-2 is? The original twitter post seems to be down. :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

A Cornered Heart is the best song in this game

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone have that comic showing how nonsensical case 5-2 is? The original twitter post seems to be down. :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fedule posted:

I had no idea.

I think this is a tiny bit of a localisation misstep? I'unno, it just seems to fall on the wrong side of things you'd expect not-Japanners to pick up on. I guess it didn't make anything completely incomprehensible, so that's something, especially in a case that hinges on the difference between soba and udon noodles.

I think there's a Capcom Blog due this week (today or tomorrow??) where the localization director interviews one of the game directors specifically about this case alone.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think there's a Capcom Blog due this week (today or tomorrow??) where the localization director interviews one of the game directors specifically about this case alone.

Yeah I think it's going to be the last blog entry too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I will be very surprised if the blog doesn't contain the phrase "we wanted to gently caress with the english localization team" in there somewhere.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hosed up opinion, but i think the japanese writers just don't really care or think about the localization at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm very excited for this blog entry and have been looking forward to it all week! It's going to own.