Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I haven't played Renowned Explorers but I'll vouch for XCOM/XCOM2 and Invisible Inc being fantastic games.

Age of Wonders 3 is a 4X that has turn-based tactical battles on a hex grid. You get to dress up your leaders and pick skills. There's tons of class/race/magic specialization combos that affect both leaders and units in varied ways. There's a basic 4X overworld with some city building and exploration but the meat for me is in the battles.

In FTL you put a crew together on your spaceship and crush the rebellion. There's a bunch of weapons and systems for your ship as well as different species of crew. You progress through star systems in each of 8 sectors until you get to the final battle. Each jump will be a fight or event that can help or hurt you. A full run takes a few hours but you can jump in, fight through a sector in 30 minutes or so and save it for later later. There's a bunch of different ships, weapons, and sector types so there's tons of replayablity. The caveat is that its a bit of an RNG game so you'll lose your favorite crew member to giant alien spiders at some point and get really aggravated. But once you get really good you can bump the difficulty and do it again. And the music is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

abardam posted:

Steam tells me Halycon 6 and FTL are similar but I haven't played these

FTL is a loving fantastic game, but one thing it definitely doesn't have is detailed/interesting party-building, unless you can stretch "party" to include the weaponry and systems attached to your ship. Your crew is basically colored dots with names on; they serve a very important purpose, but they're not exactly characters.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
FTL is a strong candidate for best top 10 one of many great games nah let's go with one of the top 10 games released in 2012.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

I'm curious about this one. Has anyone played it? I found a negative take after searching the forums ("uninspired RPG combat"), but I can see the game going either way.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

abardam posted:

Renowned Explorers is something I picked up recently. You lead a crew of three explorers (chosen from a roster) to explore exotic locations. There are 3 layers to the game: the world map, where you improve your base/guys and choose your next expedition, the expedition itself, which is similar to DD's dungeon exploration, and the encounters, which are set up like a tactics game. The challenge of encounters is in mastering the very complicated battle system, where each attack affects the "mood" of the battle and the emotions of the enemy, which in turn affects the attacks. The expeditions contain lots of skill challenges: your guys have a number of skills, ex: science, survival, diplomacy, and the game gives you percentage chances to succeed. The world map lets you improve yourself in several ways, from research, to items, to popularity attracting an entourage.
The first time I played Renowned Explorers I thought it was way too simple and lame. I came back to it months later, jacked the difficulty up, and wow. What a good game. Surprisingly deep combat system combined with FTL style exploration. Lots of party synergies to explore.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Iny posted:

FTL is a loving fantastic game, but one thing it definitely doesn't have is detailed/interesting party-building, unless you can stretch "party" to include the weaponry and systems attached to your ship. Your crew is basically colored dots with names on; they serve a very important purpose, but they're not exactly characters.

What FTL does have in common with Darkest Dungeon in particular is an almost fiendish propensity for things to go from fine to OH GOD OH GOD EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE at a moment's notice.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Time_pants posted:

So... is there anything out there that scratches the same sort of itch?

Renowned Explorers is the game you want

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Too bad there's no way to speed up enemy actions. I just did the Bandit Vvulf king thing whatever, and between all the actions it got it took more time for the enemy animations and activity than it took for me to do things. I wanted all my guys to die just so I didn't have to watch it anymore. I didn't care that I was losing, I just wanted it to move it's elegantly animated rear end.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Renowned Explorers looked really fun but it runs at like 15% speed on my laptop for some godforsaken reason.

Jedah posted:

Here are some of my retired heroes. They've seen some horrible things, and lived to tell the tale.

Thanks for posting this, I love the stories your guys get into the endgame. I know when my guys got their Darkest Dungeon torches and got to hang it took me back to playing Pokemon Yellow as like a ten-year old and seeing my team in the hall of fame after beating the elite 4.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Goddamn. Went into the warrens with a lvl 1 team, first thing that happens is a large scout in which I see no less than 9 curios on the map with no combat in between them. Naturally I snuff the torch and exit the entrance room. First thing that happens after I exit the entrance is the shambler jumps me. with a team that wasn't ready for it. gently caress this game man.

On that note, is it best to focus-fire on the shambler and just eat the stress or focus on the minions and endure the shambler's blight/shuffle attacks?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

double nine posted:

Goddamn. Went into the warrens with a lvl 1 team, first thing that happens is a large scout in which I see no less than 9 curios on the map with no combat in between them. Naturally I snuff the torch and exit the entrance room. First thing that happens after I exit the entrance is the shambler jumps me. with a team that wasn't ready for it. gently caress this game man.

On that note, is it best to focus-fire on the shambler and just eat the stress or focus on the minions and endure the shambler's blight/shuffle attacks?

It'd be no fun if it was too easy ;)

Depends. If your team is specced for endurance, taking out the minions is good. Otherwise you may have to frag the shambler as fast as you can.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

...Well, gently caress. There go three of my favourite characters, and my hopes of getting the Dismas/Reynauld achievement this playthrough.

That quest was infinitely worse than I was expecting.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i genuinely don't understand why vvulf is such a ridiculously difficult, unfun, mandatory quest

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Vvulf's invading your territory. He should have to fight through all of your guys in a series of increasingly difficult battles as he tries to keep his stress low from seeing all the severe heads and spooky occultist stuff your guys are using.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They're using undead dogs, I think they're past 'stress'.

And the problem with 'him facing everybody' is he'd probably kill most of your roster.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

only those who master the ancient art of 'don't stand in a conga line to be bombed' will live

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

only those who master the ancient art of 'don't stand in a conga line to be bombed' will live

Depth perception is overrated, 2D is the future!

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

double nine posted:

I'd never attempt shambling the shambler at anything above Beginner. Just not worth it.

For beginner, though. I love having 1x Leper and 1x Plague doctor. everything else is filler.

With proper trinkets and upgrades, a leper can one shot both minions with a single Hew. The PD stacks blight on the shambler itself.

I managed to get lucky and find three shamblers in one long beginner cove run once. A team of Arbalest/PD/Antiquarian/Leper managed it all perfectly.

Anyway, if you have a reliable AoE, take it slow and kill the minions. If you only have single target(I hope you brought a houndmaster) try to rush the shambler down, stunning the minions as you go. It's not going to be pretty, though.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Does this game cloud save on Steam? I'm about to format my hard drive for a clean install and I'm wondering if I need to do anything to safeguard my saves.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Halser posted:

I'd never attempt shambling the shambler at anything above Beginner. Just not worth it.

For beginner, though. I love having 1x Leper and 1x Plague doctor. everything else is filler.

With proper trinkets and upgrades, a leper can one shot both minions with a single Hew. The PD stacks blight on the shambler itself.

I managed to get lucky and find three shamblers in one long beginner cove run once. A team of Arbalest/PD/Antiquarian/Leper managed it all perfectly.

Anyway, if you have a reliable AoE, take it slow and kill the minions. If you only have single target(I hope you brought a houndmaster) try to rush the shambler down, stunning the minions as you go. It's not going to be pretty, though.

arbalest/plaguedoc/antiquarian/leper? how do you get enough heals off?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

arbalest/plaguedoc/antiquarian/leper? how do you get enough heals off?

The leper has massive self-heals, you've got chip healing on everyone else, antiquarian has nice defense skills, and beginner missions are easy enough to get by with very little healing anyhow.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How's the PlayStation ports?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

DrManiac posted:

Haven't tried PS4 yet, but the UI on the Vita version is on the same terms as the 360 version of Dead Rising in terms of readability and font size. Everything is super tiny and instead of doing a better mobile UI, they just shrunk everything.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I got the vita version and my only major complaint besides the text size is the rear pad stuff. The rear pad swaps between heroes any time you touch it anywhere which causes you to use the wrong guy.

I have no idea why swapping couldn't be on L and R when all those buttons do is overlay information and scroll the map

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah I can see that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not having any high level Vestals is miserable sometimes. Using Occultists can be fun and viable for healer but man, when you get unlucky with an Occultist, there is nothing worse than multiple 0 to 2 HP heals in a row while dudes are getting killed. Got hosed hard by Vvulf due to Occultist's luck being the worst I've ever had in like 60 hours of play. Straight up never got more than like 2 HP per heal most of the time.

I feel like for serious poo poo I'd just rather slap a "x% more healing" charm on a Vestal and have consistent 5 to 8 HP heals.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
To be fair, the whole Vvulf event is really dumb and slapdash imo. Getting RNG hosed is just a symptom of the greater problem.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

DrManiac posted:

Playing on PS4. It's my first time and the UI is pretty bad with a controller, at least when you come in not knowing how things work. What's the opposite of PC gamers saying something was dumbed down for consoles?

Really enjoying it though, any pointers I should know for the early game?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
With the PS4 launch have they added better controller support to the PC version yet? Really hate mouse and keyboard for this but they don't expose enough stuff as hotkeys that I can even do a custom steam controller setup that isn't mouse heavy.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

TheManSeries posted:

Haven't tried PS4 yet, but the UI on the Vita version is on the same terms as the 360 version of Dead Rising in terms of readability and font size. Everything is super tiny and instead of doing a better mobile UI, they just shrunk everything.

I double dipped and yeah the controls are pretty awkward. Swapping between the two sticks and the dpad while dungeon diving is particularly painful. I also got a crash but I've had those occasionally on PC so not sure I'll hold that against the port. Other than that it runs fine and looks great on a TV. I'm hoping they take feedback and patch the controls, Red Hook is pretty good about that so I'm optimistic.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How do you add backer heroes to your roster on PS4?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm going to send this to Red Hook as well, but maybe you guys can help me out. Darkest dungeon has been crashing on me an awful lot lately (no hardware/software changes that I can recall)

Windows event viewer gives me these results:

quote:

Faulting application name: darkest.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57865e81
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x2d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d21b1706f14a1f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\_windows\darkest.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: bf238e0c-4a36-4947-a7ed-c22a0ea6f31e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

quote:

Faulting application name: darkest.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57865e81
Faulting module name: darkest.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57865e81
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00a42fb8
Faulting process id: 0x1a84
Faulting application start time: 0x01d21b17f06d2f59
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\_windows\darkest.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\_windows\darkest.exe
Report Id: 4dd6c345-2aaa-4774-9f84-1a7c760e9e8e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any advice?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So just as my 6th hero levels to champion and before I even tried a normal red dungeon the brigands invade. How should I solve this?
I have:
Occultist
Man at Arms
Hellion
Graverobber * 2
Abbomination,

Neither Blacksmith nor Guild are at the highest level.

Edit: Low level suicide run! I chose you!

genericnick fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 30, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Oh poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Use imgur so the pic doesn't break

Highwang posted:

Oh poo poo.

This could be fun

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Looks good. My favourite part will be the new narrations

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

glad they labelled the bottle. i wasn't quite getting the general theme of the DLC expansion "The Crimson Court" until i saw that

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think the mosquito mascot might be a little too on the nose.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

glad they labelled the bottle. i wasn't quite getting the general theme of the DLC expansion "The Crimson Court" until i saw that

I saw it more as a cute reference to the bleed icon ingame rather than "HEY DUMBASSES BLOOD IT'S BLOOD THEY DRINK BLOOD"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
What are some interesting lineups to go for, and what skills are worth having?

My main group is vestal-plague doctor-highwayman-crusader (team vanilla) and I'd like to see what else has decent synergy.