Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo those mormons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the gently caress is up with the upper appalachians, central ohio and northern new england?

i bet this counts different protestant denominations as diversity

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aliquid posted:

the gently caress is up with the upper appalachians, central ohio and northern new england?

i bet this counts different protestant denominations as diversity

Based on the map it counts Protestants as one unit. My guess, probably lots of Catholics since they're about a quarter of the population.

Reposting for new page:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Color the whole of Ireland blue. :can:

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
A bunch of Eurostat maps. Belgium does so much worse than all it's North-Western European neighbours.

A whole lot more here: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2016/sep/15/happy-city-eu-report-data-eurostat-urban-europe-in-pictures

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Guavanaut posted:

I fixed it.

Denmark is excited to see you, I suppose.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
They seem to be doing the islands separately. On the paper you can clearly see the stencils for Sumatra, Borneo, and The Philippine Blob.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bad map.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i'm the 'radial division' of pakistan, a country consisting of a single long river valley

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
What is that map anyway?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

sweek0 posted:

A bunch of Eurostat maps. Belgium does so much worse than all it's North-Western European neighbours.

A whole lot more here: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2016/sep/15/happy-city-eu-report-data-eurostat-urban-europe-in-pictures

The gently caress is up with these scales?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

JosefStalinator posted:

The gently caress is up with these scales?

I like this map design. It doesn't really matter whether we see the various colonies outlying integral areas in their actual size relative to the mainland, because the maps are primarily meant to convey statistical information instead of relative size. So they don't need to be on the same scale. Putting them all in similarly-sized boxes is a simpler and clearer bit of graphic design.

I also like the politically loaded fudge of displaying Kosovo as within Serbia's national borders, but not colored in.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I think JosefStalinator was talking more about the arbitrary ranges for the 4 colors, like <64, 64-<75, 75-<81, >81, where the distance between markers isn't even consistent. I assume they have the same number of cities in each division, or something like that, but can't be arsed to count.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

How anyone outside of Switzerland can be satisfied with their public transport system is beyond me. :smug:

For real, though, those are some cool maps. Thanks for sharing. I found this one particularly interesting:

Paris, city of love, city of mistrust.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm surprised how many people in the Balkans are pleased with their public transport, I found it was a very car-centric kind of area.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TinTower posted:

Maps without Britain is a new one.

I think it just got stuck on the paper.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

What is that map anyway?
A map of how countries are usually subdivided when you discuss regional differences? So Germany is both divided into East/West Germany, and southern/northern Germany, depending on the discussion, so it's divided along cardinal directions. Ukraine on the other hand is divided along an east-west axis, so it goes in that group, Italy north-south, while Indonesia looks to be divided more according to islands/island groups than compass directions. I'm guessing radial is supposed to be like cardinal, expect with more subdivisions, like south-west or whatever. Though in that case the US really should be green too, shouldn't it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A map of how countries are usually subdivided when you discuss regional differences? So Germany is both divided into East/West Germany, and southern/northern Germany, depending on the discussion, so it's divided along cardinal directions. Ukraine on the other hand is divided along an east-west axis, so it goes in that group, Italy north-south, while Indonesia looks to be divided more according to islands/island groups than compass directions. I'm guessing radial is supposed to be like cardinal, expect with more subdivisions, like south-west or whatever. Though in that case the US really should be green too, shouldn't it?

The US is weird because it's North, South, and West.

(and Texas)

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Radial probably means distance from some nexus, like the capital.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
I thought it was a map of the fault lines of civil wars when I first saw it

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Samuel Clemens posted:

How anyone outside of Switzerland can be satisfied with their public transport system is beyond me. :smug:
Meh, there are plenty of other cities that have good public transport, and there's generally a bit of a difference between using it as a tourist versus using it as a resident. This is based on local perception which I think makes it interesting. I'm surprised Madrid got such a low rating.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Peanut President posted:

What is that map anyway?

Some guy posted it on reddit

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BirdOfPlay posted:

Radial probably means distance from some nexus, like the capital.
Yeah, that is probably it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Maybe their service comes less often, but they don't have to sell a kidney each time they want to take a 2 hour train ride.

Also those maps are just awful designs. What is the point of having 10 insets when the only one that ever has information is Malta? Are there any maps where Lichtenstein etc actually have data? And why did they pick these ten? Why are Reunion and Mayotte there but not New Caledonia? Why did they leave out Greenland from the inset?

Also it's kind of weird that Turkey, Albania, Serbia, Macedonia, and Montenegro have data. What framework agreement is it under that includes these countries? They're not EEA.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Saladman posted:

Also those maps are just awful designs. What is the point of having 10 insets when the only one that ever has information is Malta?
Are there any maps where Lichtenstein etc actually have data?
Because it's a standard map, and there are many categories where these places do have information.

quote:

And why did they pick these ten? Why are Reunion and Mayotte there but not New Caledonia? Why did they leave out Greenland from the inset?
Liechtenstein is too small to show at this scale in its actual place.
Madeira, Açores and the Canarias are all integral parts of their countries, but don't fit unless you include substantial amounts of empty ocean.
All the French ones are likewise part of Metropolitan France, New Caledonia is not. Greenland is also an OCT of Denmark, and not actually in the EU.

quote:

Also it's kind of weird that Turkey, Albania, Serbia, Macedonia, and Montenegro have data. What framework agreement is it under that includes these countries? They're not EEA.
They're the recognized EU candidates, and as such I'm sure Eurostat is so far up their rear end that they can very easily include this data.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 28, 2016

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Samuel Clemens posted:

For real, though, those are some cool maps. Thanks for sharing. I found this one particularly interesting:

Paris, city of love, city of mistrust.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 28, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm more interested in Poland viewing Germany as the most and least trustworthy country. And lol at British people voting ourselves as least arrogant.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And everybody picking themselves for Most Compassionate. Should have put Most Modest on there too.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm more interested in Poland viewing Germany as the most and least trustworthy country. And lol at British people voting ourselves as least arrogant.

My logical mind runs crazy reading that grid. Theres a lot of other data you can infer. Of the type "You believe you are the most <X>, but your friends believe you are the less <X>, so you are <Y>", or "You believe to be <Y>, but nobody else believe you are <Y>, so you are <X>".

Many of the <X> <Y> <Z> variables seems to be based on distance. Specially with UK. While these same variables seems independent of distance when we are talking about Germany.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
France voted themselves both the most and least arrogant as well as the most compassionate, so I think that at least works out.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Thanks! The more you know... I'd never really noticed the differences between OCT and OMR. It still seems pretty arbitrary for a lot of those outlying islands, but I guess there's probably a historical reason for each of them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

If you run those numbers through the very scientific method of granting +1 points for winning a positive trait, +2 if you didn't vote for yourself, and -1/-2 for negative traits, you can come up with a rank for the countries in question.

Trustworthiness
Germany: +1
Greece: -2
Greece: -2
Italy: -1

Arrogance
Germany: -2
Spain: +1

Compassion
Germany: -2

For a final score of:

Italy: -1
Germany: -3
Greece: -4

Countries with no points then get ranked according to how often they agreed with the rest, giving us a final ranking like this:

1. Spain
2. Czech Rep
3. Poland
4. France
5. Britain
6. Italy
7. Germany
8. Greece

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Baron Corbyn posted:

Modern Germany versus...uh, that one particular historical period of Germany?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Modern Germany versus...uh, that one particular historical period of Germany?
While the poll says EU nation, it presumably means nation state specifically. The Poles hedged their bets and said they trust the German (nation) state, but not the German nation.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you run those numbers through the very scientific method of granting +1 points for winning a positive trait, +2 if you didn't vote for yourself, and -1/-2 for negative traits, you can come up with a rank for the countries in question.

you got double greece'd.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

double nine posted:

you got double greece'd.
They got -2 for voting themselves the most trustworthy, without anyone else voting for them. Technically everyone should get some negative points for the least arrogant/most compassionate category, but that wouldn't affect the rankings, though it'd make Spain look better.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Arrogance

Spanish people love to complain about Spain. If you heard a spanish person talk about spain, you will believe everything is wrong about spain. When the reality is that spain is a modern boring normal mediocre country with nothing special.

Is *not* that spanish are humble, like at all. Is more like spanish people love to complain about this poo poo in particular. That don't make them humble, that make them whiners.

Because of this, you should probably make that a negative trait and turn that into Spain: -1.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They got -2 for voting themselves the most trustworthy, without anyone else voting for them. Technically everyone should get some negative points for the least arrogant/most compassionate category, but that wouldn't affect the rankings, though it'd make Spain look better.

I mean greece gets listed twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

HookShot posted:

I'm surprised how many people in the Balkans are pleased with their public transport, I found it was a very car-centric kind of area.

In Croatia at least, inside Zagreb itself the public transit is quite good. Out in the rural areas it is very car-centric, but that's true almost everywhere.