Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

For all the furore about that MCAT exam, it should be noted that it generally was at Level 6 of the Achievement Objectives for Mathematics in the NZ Curriculum, even if it was in the high end of things. On another note, the vast majority of the Y11s that sat the exam at my school passed.

I was wondering how it had been received. Tbh looking at the questions I didn't think they were that hard? And we've been asking primary school kids to demonstrate their maths knowledge/skills in context like that for like 15 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Have they been asked to show their arts and creativity as well?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

When I looked at it it didn't seem overly hard, but it did seem quite long. Add in exam pressure and this being the first real exam for a lot of them and I can see where the panic came from.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
National can't teach kids

(also that first question was a really rough sucker punch, if you didn't get the trick of the question you'd be absolutely hosed on what is supposed to be the easiest part and I can totally understand getting extremely frustrated and bailing at that point)

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Somfin posted:

(also that first question was a really rough sucker punch, if you didn't get the trick of the question you'd be absolutely hosed on what is supposed to be the easiest part and I can totally understand getting extremely frustrated and bailing at that point)

Has the real question been posted somewhere?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/education/news/article.cfm?c_id=35&objectid=11712559

Somfin posted:

Christ, I must be thick, that question threw me for ages but you can just factorize and get x-2, right? I've forgotten so much of this stuff.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jaguars! posted:

Christ, I must be thick, that question threw me for ages but you can just factorize and get x-2, right? I've forgotten so much of this stuff.

That part wasn't so tricky for me, but I have no idea what I know about the value of x.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Yeah that first one isn't /too/ bad, but I am a 40 year old software engineer who did first year math at uni and has more recently tutored teenagers whose first language isn't English.

I think the second part of question 1 is a bit mean.

I think if I busted out pen and paper I'd be stumped by some of the others that's for sure!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's a linear measurement that helps define the length of the sides. If the equation was just area = x², then x would be the length of the sides of a square. If you put it in factorized form, it's an easy way of seeing length of both sides. The long dimension is x+1, and the other is x-2. If you are given a value of x, multiply them together and you get the area. Do I get a merit? :buddy: I spent way to long last night with drawing rectangles before I thought back to what we actually did in NCEA 1 maths.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 26, 2016

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Also x-2 has to be greater than zero or else it makes no physical sense.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Nah, then it just exists as antimatter. Be very, very careful with values of x that are close to zero.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Was someone at the Auckland mayor event at shadows or something that could explain what happened ? I just saw a grainy video on YouTube of a hunch of people yelling and then that serial troll candidate guy Adam Holland yelling alla Akbar wearing a kaftan

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

Also x-2 has to be greater than zero or else it makes no physical sense.

Yeah I think what they were going for was some explanation of how you know x is greater than 2

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

bike tory posted:

Yeah I think what they were going for was some explanation of how you know x is greater than 2

Can't equal 2 or -1, because it's a rectangle and not a line?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

quote:

During September support for National fell for the second straight month, by 4.5% to 41.5% (the lowest support for National in three years since September 2013) now clearly behind a potential Labour/Greens alliance 45.5% (up 5.5%) for the first time in a year – since September 2015 after Prime Minister John Key attended several overseas summits in early September.
http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/6971-roy-morgan-new-zealand-voting-intention-september-2016-201609271642

What's even happened in the past month

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Trump was in the news and the great unwashed saw the parallels.

Oh, wait, it decreased. Yeah, I'unno.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Somfin posted:

Can't equal 2 or -1, because it's a rectangle and not a line?

Also can't be less than two because you can't have a side of negative length

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Nothing, those are 5 straight lines with nothing but statistical noise. It's depressing how little those polls shift, at all, ever.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Good to see the greens doing exactly the same as they have always done for the last like ten years

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I am assuming that this poll is for the party vote?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Maybe reality is creeping in temporarily with Key out of the country solving Syria rather than giving reassuring fluff radio interviews or news soundbites.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The ironic thing is the stuff he has been doing publicly in the US have been fairly good. Making the right noises on Syria and calling out Donald Trump(even though he is a lovely watered down NZ version of Trump) etc.
Maybe we can send him off to be our ambassador to the US.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
His nosies on Syria is just that, nosies. I can't believe he is trying to claim the moral high ground again when he only took action after overwhelming public pressure last time he went bashing everyone about it.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
What in the jesus gently caress is happening in Auckland??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFR6QNjYzAg

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Varkk posted:

Maybe we can send him off to be our ambassador to the US.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Don Brash: Still racist as all hell.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/84742581/antiseparatist-campaign-launched-against-maori-favouritism-ahead-of-2017-election

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

504 posted:

the gently caress?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

504 posted:

That ending.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Do you guys not have mayoral debates in the smaller cities?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I don't think he understands what 'separatist' means.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Adam Holland is that guy who puts himself on every ballot he can supposedly for laughs, but the amount of time he spends on campaign stuff actually going to events and poo poo show that he takes it more seriously and has higher hopes for his chances than he actually lets on.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Do you guys not have mayoral debates in the smaller cities?

We have one guy standing for Mayor so no point having a debate. Or even a vote really.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

504 posted:

lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Hell people belittle my rural lifestyle but at least I don't have to put up with clowns running the infrastructure that I don't even really use. The only thing the council does for me is maintain the road to my property and make sure my animals don't poo poo in the stream. They don't even collect my rubbish, I have to chuck all that in the wetlands ;)

People take this being in charge of roads, letting people build leaky buildings and collecting other people's rubbish job very seriously

Moo Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 28, 2016

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

bike tory posted:

Adam Holland is that guy who puts himself on every ballot he can supposedly for laughs, but the amount of time he spends on campaign stuff actually going to events and poo poo show that he takes it more seriously and has higher hopes for his chances than he actually lets on.

I have seen this guy do troll runs for various political offices and get his obviously troll quotes in papers and stuff for years now- it definitely is a little pathological and he enjoys it more than a troll wants to let on.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

:stare:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Nah they just chuck chlorine in

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I joked that I voted for the DHB by going through the booklet and voting for any candidate who didn't state that vaccines cause autism until I got sick of doing it.

That's how I've discovered that one of my co-workers believes that vaccines cause autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jaguars! posted:

I joked that I voted for the DHB by going through the booklet and voting for any candidate who didn't state that vaccines cause autism until I got sick of doing it.

That's how I've discovered that one of my co-workers believes that vaccines cause autism.

Amazingly autism causes a belief that vaccines cause autism

• Locked thread