Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a late 2013 iMac at work and I'm trying to use a pair of cheap BT headphones (Kinivo BTH240). Every time I connect lately and any audio is sent to my headphones I get noticeable lag of my apple keyboard/mouse. Is this a common thing with lovely headphones?

I have another pair of cheap headphones (Motorola S305) that this doesn't seem to happen with.

I use the Motorola with my iPhone so I don't want to keep moving it between my phone and mac when I want to listen to music on either, that/s why I bought the second pair, but I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to make the Kinivo's behave. From the sounds of it I might just have to suck it up and get a better pair of headphones, maybe another pair of Motorolas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Has anyone else with a 12" MacBook noticed an uptick in responsiveness with Sierra? I'm on the beta track with a '16 m7, and with the latest seed, things just feel snappier.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

krooj posted:

Has anyone else with a 12" MacBook noticed an uptick in responsiveness with Sierra? I'm on the beta track with a '16 m7, and with the latest seed, things just feel snappier.

I think they switched over to using Metal to render a lot of stuff so it'll feel faster as long as you have an <3 year old computer.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Interesting. Another thing that's surfaced is 4K @ 60Hz DP support over USB-C. I think it reduces the bandwidth of the remaining USB I/O to 2.0 speeds (unsure if 480Mbps or slower), which seems fine as long as there's nothing latency-sensitive on the bus. Might pickup that 27" LG monitor to give it a try.

I'm really looking forward to a full migration to USB-C/TB for the new round of macs.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Magic Mouse is laggy. I've tried turning it off and back on, I've tried unpairing and then pairing again. Also tried restarting the OS. All seem to help for just a few minutes, then it gets laggy again. Battery level is fine. Anything I can do about this? Is this a bad mouse, or would a new one not make any difference?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

jackpot posted:

Magic Mouse is laggy. I've tried turning it off and back on, I've tried unpairing and then pairing again. Also tried restarting the OS. All seem to help for just a few minutes, then it gets laggy again. Battery level is fine. Anything I can do about this? Is this a bad mouse, or would a new one not make any difference?
Is there any wifi/bluetooth interference? When I use my bluetooth headphones I'll get a choppy mouse for a little bit but then it eventually sorts itself out.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Bill Barber posted:

Is there any wifi/bluetooth interference? When I use my bluetooth headphones I'll get a choppy mouse for a little bit but then it eventually sorts itself out.
I'm in on office so I'm sure there's some, but now that you mention it I'm not sure it happens unless I'm at my desk. I do a lot of roaming, and the only time I'm crying about the mouse is in this one spot.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

computer parts posted:

I think they switched over to using Metal to render a lot of stuff so it'll feel faster as long as you have an <3 year old computer.

I thought the main Metal switch came last year with El Capitan? I have last year's 12" MacBook and even beta 1 of ElCap was light years ahead of Yosemite which it launched with, graphics performance wise. I haven't seen a huge improvement with Sierra, but I didn't really think it needed one either.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My '09 Mac Pro has been the best computer I've ever owned, and it was already five years old when I got it.

I'm really close to not needing the extra storage, haven't ever needed the GPU expandability (I have some old Radeon in there) the CPU isn't competitive with current processors, it uses a fuckload of power, and it doesn't have Thunderbolt. I'm hoping for a good Mac Mini update and I think it'll be time.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

computer parts posted:

They did, but it is unlikely that this has anything to do with noticeable UI performance improvements. Metal's performance advantage over OpenGL is reduced CPU overhead for drawing complex 3D scenes, which are exactly what your average macOS desktop UI "scene" is not. WindowServer's performance should be limited mostly by your GPU's fill rate and/or how much memory it has, not things Metal helps with such as polygon throughput or GPU state changes.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Froist posted:

I thought the main Metal switch came last year with El Capitan? I have last year's 12" MacBook and even beta 1 of ElCap was light years ahead of Yosemite which it launched with, graphics performance wise. I haven't seen a huge improvement with Sierra, but I didn't really think it needed one either.

El Cap was the first version which shipped with Metal support at all, but it was not yet used for the UI. Its UI performance boost over Yosemite was mostly Apple dialing back on overuse of heavily blurred/frosted transparency effects.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BobHoward posted:

El Cap was the first version which shipped with Metal support at all, but it was not yet used for the UI. Its UI performance boost over Yosemite was mostly Apple dialing back on overuse of heavily blurred/frosted transparency effects.
Did they dial it back or just...make it not suck performance wise? On my 2011 mini I had to do the turn off transparency+increase contrast trick in Yosemite for normal performance but it's all smooth in El Cap regardless of those settings.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Dialed it back. One example - Yosemite Exposé blurred the poo poo out of the entire desktop background image, but El Capitan and Sierra Exposé don't.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe we're already on the 4th non-big-cat named release.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm waiting for macOS Fresno

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

I can't believe we're already on the 4th non-big-cat named release.

Working on an SE/30 and came across Rhapsody DR1/2 while trying to snag an old MacOS. Now I feel really old :[

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 28, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OS X Tenderloin

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

OS X Tenderloin
Can't wait to see the desktop backgrounds that come with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

Can't wait to see the desktop backgrounds that come with it.

Some needles and a used condom in a gutter.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

Some needles and a used condom in a gutter.

Better than the pictures for OS X Creamy Tenderloin :v:

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Bob Morales posted:

OS X Tenderloin

macOS Tacos

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
macOS inland empire

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

macOS Compton

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Cyrano4747 posted:

macOS Compton

Includes dark mode?

I'll see myself out.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Still annoyed that we haven't had OS X Big Sur yet.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Cyrano4747 posted:

macOS Compton

I'll pour out a 4k.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Dialed it back. One example - Yosemite Exposé blurred the poo poo out of the entire desktop background image, but El Capitan and Sierra Exposé don't.
Heh never noticed. I'm on my 2009 mini w/Yosemite right now and it handles that part fine at least :v:

Basic swipe space switching and just showing the desktop (anything change there?) would chug though without the transparency/contrast options on. I just remembered the biggest sign of overall jacked up performance for me was that accessibility zoom performance was horrible without those options.

Course everything seems fine on the 2012 mini I have, maybe Yosemite hated the 9400M and 6630M less than the HD 4000 :iiam:

I have too many Mac minis. Still waiting for an update to get another one or two though :argh:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

Heh never noticed. I'm on my 2009 mini w/Yosemite right now and it handles that part fine at least :v:

Basic swipe space switching and just showing the desktop (anything change there?) would chug though without the transparency/contrast options on. I just remembered the biggest sign of overall jacked up performance for me was that accessibility zoom performance was horrible without those options.

Course everything seems fine on the 2012 mini I have, maybe Yosemite hated the 9400M and 6630M less than the HD 4000 :iiam:

I have too many Mac minis. Still waiting for an update to get another one or two though :argh:

Sell me one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bob Morales posted:

OS X Tenderloin

Even the Civic Center area feels like Mad Max

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/28/late-october-macbook-pro/

MacRumors all of a sudden says it's learned the new rMBPs will be announced in late October.

AppleInsider just quotes MacRumor's post.

MR doesn't say how or why it knows, it just does. Sigh.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Binary Badger posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/28/late-october-macbook-pro/

MacRumors all of a sudden says it's learned the new rMBPs will be announced in late October.

AppleInsider just quotes MacRumor's post.

MR doesn't say how or why it knows, it just does. Sigh.
They also tweeted this out of the blue a few days ago, which isn't based on any sort of new information at all.

https://twitter.com/macrumors/status/780826679736356864

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah they have to make some really drastic changes to macs now, either that or just abandon the PC market since it's becoming increasingly irrelevant to them. It's amazing how much sales of macs have plunged, even in the context of the death of the PC industry it's really breathtaking. They are getting grilled by Wall Street analysts about their mac failures here every earnings call, it's really bad.

I'm not even sure who the customer for macs are anymore, it's becoming increasingly rare to meet someone under 30 who even owns a laptop. They'll always be around for writers and engineers and serious creators but I guess we're finally moving to that world where 90% of people just don't own a computer anymore.

Anyway in that context I'd expect them to try something truly bonkers like abandoning x86, it's such a low risk move at this point who cares if we have to start over (again). At the very least expect some serious loving price cuts.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I guess we're finally moving to that world where 90% of people just don't own a computer anymore.

I'd argue this is hardly true, most people have more computers than they ever have before. Do you know anyone without a smartphone? And most people have a tablet too, on top of that. Those are certainly computers.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd argue this is hardly true, most people have more computers than they ever have before. Do you know anyone without a smartphone? And most people have a tablet too, on top of that. Those are certainly computers.

That post, and this entire thread, refers to traditional desktop and laptop PCs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah they have to make some really drastic changes to macs now, either that or just abandon the PC market since it's becoming increasingly irrelevant to them. It's amazing how much sales of macs have plunged, even in the context of the death of the PC industry it's really breathtaking. They are getting grilled by Wall Street analysts about their mac failures here every earnings call, it's really bad.
They haven't so much plummeted for any reason because of Apple not releasing an up-to-date Mac. They're still holding pretty good in market share.

quote:

I'm not even sure who the customer for macs are anymore, it's becoming increasingly rare to meet someone under 30 who even owns a laptop. They'll always be around for writers and engineers and serious creators but I guess we're finally moving to that world where 90% of people just don't own a computer anymore.

There's no shortage of computer users out there. Go by any college or coffee shop or library and you'll see a million people under 30 with a laptop. Lots of them Macs.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Pryor on Fire posted:

This isn't anywhere remotely true. According to Pew, 80% of adults in the US under 30 own a computer*. That's down from 90% in 2010, so there's a modest decline, but nothing like what you're asserting.

*That's measured separately from tablet, smartphone, e-reader, etc.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is this a good deal or should I wait until more people offload their MacBooks in October/November?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/sys/5804617240.html

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

They haven't so much plummeted for any reason because of Apple not releasing an up-to-date Mac. They're still holding pretty good in market share.

There's no shortage of computer users out there. Go by any college or coffee shop or library and you'll see a million people under 30 with a laptop. Lots of them Macs.

I can only speak to what I see but I'm seeing more and more iPads with keyboards around where I work in Manhattan right near a pretty big college. Still plenty of laptops but it's becoming more noticeable.

I'm still scanning CL for a keyboard cover for my iPad Pro and I'm pretty sure I'll rarely use my laptop after that.

If Apple ever adds mouse support to iOS, it's over.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

And when I take the commuter train into Grand Central every morning, all I see are either MBAs, rMBPs, rMBs, or 6s Pluses all turned up to maximum brightness so I can see someone's quarterly report from clear across the car.

The best is when they're typing furiously because they're trying to finish up work they're supposed to hand in before 9AM and they frisk themselves furiously looking for that flash key they left home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Is this a good deal or should I wait until more people offload their MacBooks in October/November?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/sys/5804617240.html

Not an amazing deal, there was one here for $100 less

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789605