Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Dumpster fees? Was there a lot of painted/stained/non-clean wood in there, or do you live in a place where you get charged to get rid of wood and brush?

Or am I the one living in a weird place where all of that stuff is free to get rid of?

Looks great, though. Good luck with the neighbors dumping stuff. Are they mowing the lawn themselves, or is it a hired service that cares even less than the homeowners presumably would about the dumping?

I can get rid of some stuff for free with the town, but they're not going to take two 30 yd dumpsters filled with trees/brush. They're certainly not going to accept it from a contractor either. I was told there was a bunch of garbage in there, like bits of concrete and other assorted debris.

It's the owner mowing his lawn, and dumping it. I've never actually seen a lawn service bag and remove clippings, they all just leave them in the lawn (which is apparently better anyway).

There's a dead end off to the left there, and we think a lot of people that live around it also dump poo poo there. We'll see if stuff starts appearing again, going to have a camera set up before it gets too far into fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm trying to find a high backed sectional that doesn't turn into a gundam (huge heavy complicated powered bits) but apparently these don't exist. Either you get a loving mini fridge built into your couch or you have no support an inch above your pelvis.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I loving hate shopping for couches. Ours is starting to fall apart, drat bonded leather. We spent a week last month trying to find one, ended up buying and having to return three seperate couches for various reasons and now we're back to the same lovely couch.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I don't understand sectionals. There are loads of them in weird circular designs or just giant blobs with no back support, and I don't know how you're supposed to sit comfortably on them for any length of time....do you lie down on them? Half slouch, half lie down? Even with the more standard L shaped ones, no one ever wants to get stuck sitting in the middle with no place for their legs.

How do you even use this?

Enfys fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 28, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think you just lay face down in the middle of it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Enfys posted:

I don't understand sectionals. There are loads of them in weird circular designs or just giant blobs with no back support, and I don't know how you're supposed to sit comfortably on them for any length of time....do you lie down on them? Half slouch, half lie down? Even with the more standard L shaped ones, no one ever wants to get stuck sitting in the middle with no place for their legs.

Looks like an ill-conceived sectional chaise.

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm trying to find a high backed sectional that doesn't turn into a gundam (huge heavy complicated powered bits) but apparently these don't exist. Either you get a loving mini fridge built into your couch or you have no support an inch above your pelvis.

They make them all pretty much for the home theater experience these days, to maximize laziness and comfort while minimizing the possibility that you might actually leave your house to do more than go for a bag of cheetos. Either you get some monstrosity with motorized reclining seats, or you get some faux-suede piece of poo poo that is un-sittable for any length of time, its only use being that it looks better in your house decor-wise than the the monstrosity of vinyl and motors.

My couch is really comfortable, but it's canvas and down, and the feathers routinely stick through the canvas and poke me until I pull them out. There are feathers all over the house. Also the bottom cushions constantly slide forward away from the back of the couch, making the back cushions sink in.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 28, 2016

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My L sectional is pretty awesome, my wife and I and both of our dogs can all lay on it at the same time. It kind of limits your furniture arrangement options though.

Enfys posted:

That would be terrible for a normal setup but if I had unlimited funds I'd like one for my mansion's rec room.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
:whatup:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
lol Marco Rubio is tiny

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Uncle Jam posted:

I like my American Leather. Even has a pullout that doesn't feel like poo poo when you sit on it, and is very comfortable to sleep on.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Subjunctive posted:

I like my American Leather. Even has a pullout that doesn't feel like poo poo when you sit on it, and is very comfortable to sleep on.

Yeah if I take $10k to Arhaus I can get what I want but fuff.
The couch and a furnace are the last two big purchases this year though.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Enfys posted:

orgy, duh. Put it in the orgy room.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

moana posted:

orgy, duh. Put it in the orgy room.

Orgy couches should have a mottled color schem, duh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol nice tripping hazard

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also, I like buying lovely-looking but comfortable-feeling couches on the cheap and then throwing a nice slipcover on them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Fences are surprisingly more expensive than I thought.

I have two quotes now, one just over $7000 and the other at around $6500, and should have a third by today or tomorrow.

I could get it cheaper if I went with cedar over vinyl, but I like the idea of a lot less maintenance. Just a wash with a hose or pressure washer, and checking to make sure the hardware is all still tight. No re-sealing or staining or any of that crap. Plus, I feel like as rot resistant as cedar is, vinyl will still last longer.

But I will admit it doesn't look as nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I'm replacing a bathroom ceiling fan, what am I most likely to gently caress up?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

If I'm replacing a bathroom ceiling fan, what am I most likely to gently caress up?

Like a regular ceiling fan? Or a bathroom exhaust fan to vacuum out the poopy smell?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Subjunctive posted:

Buying a model with adequate cfm output, and making sure it's vented outside and not into the attic or something dumb.

Presuming your house is wired correctly, black/red wires are hot and go to black/red wires. Bundle them all together if the same switch controls the light/fan, separate the connections if you have different switches for the light/fan . White is neutral, green (or bare) is ground, and they connect to their respective colors. Pretty straightforward job. If you don't want to mess with the housing, some models even have replaceable motor units you just pop into the old housing. I'd upgrade to a higher cfm/quieter fan though.

Oh, biggest thing you can gently caress up, if you're buying a fan with a light, DO NOT buy the lowes utilitech fan that uses the dumbass two pin base light bulbs (like gu24 or something). Make sure it uses plain old a19 screw base bulbs, otherwise you're in a world of hurt trying to find bulbs that don't cost near as much as the drat fan itself. The loving gu24 standard was meant to make screw base incandescent bulbs obsolete and force everyone to switch to cfl's, but now it's obsolete as that was a really loving dumb idea and I don't know why lowes even sells that kind of poo poo when they don't even sell the gu24 bulbs. I had to buy a gu24 to a19 adapter and then a really expensive tiny screw base led bulb to fit inside the housing because regular bulbs were too long with the adapter in place. Dumb poo poo like that really pisses me off, and unless you know to check for it, you've already installed the fan and it's too late to return it for something that makes loving sense :argh:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
After this last weekend I think I can comfortably consider myself an expert on various types of plumbing snakes.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
For bathroom fans, get the Panasonic. They are whisper quiet and work great. Only downside is they are best installed in new construction. Without access to the above space the install will be hell.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

life is killing me posted:

Like a regular ceiling fan? Or a bathroom exhaust fan to vacuum out the poopy smell?

Exhaust fan.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Buying a model with adequate cfm output, and making sure it's vented outside and not into the attic or something dumb.

What's a rule of thumb for cfm based on...room size? It's all vented fine and the house so far is wired well, which is nice.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mercury Ballistic posted:

For bathroom fans, get the Panasonic. They are whisper quiet and work great. Only downside is they are best installed in new construction. Without access to the above space the install will be hell.

Seconding the Panasonic recommendation. Just got one per my GC's recommendation and it is super quiet.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Subjunctive posted:

Exhaust fan.

What's a rule of thumb for cfm based on...room size? It's all vented fine and the house so far is wired well, which is nice.

Rule of thumb is go big or go home

If your bathroom doesn't feel like someone opened the hatch on the space shuttle, you're doing something wrong :colbert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I don't have access to the above space really. Hrm.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Fences are surprisingly more expensive than I thought.

I have two quotes now, one just over $7000 and the other at around $6500, and should have a third by today or tomorrow.

I could get it cheaper if I went with cedar over vinyl, but I like the idea of a lot less maintenance. Just a wash with a hose or pressure washer, and checking to make sure the hardware is all still tight. No re-sealing or staining or any of that crap. Plus, I feel like as rot resistant as cedar is, vinyl will still last longer.

But I will admit it doesn't look as nice.

Agreed, we researched the cost of a new fence when we bought our house because the fence had some rotted boards (which were definitely just pine boards that were hastily put up and then primed+painted, so the boards began to rot between the cracks where the paint didn't get in so well). The cost of a good fence is so exorbitant that we opted to replace the rotted boards with boards that we painted ourselves, so the fence at least looks nice until we can save up for something better.

Vinyl sounds really convenient, so that's something that we considered, but another economical option was to buy a bunch of SimTek ecostone panels and do the installation ourselves. We thought the panels look good and are light enough for 2 people to handle (60 lbs), and you can just pick them up at Home Depot. Sounds like a huge pain in the rear end and a nightmare if you do it wrong, but you could feasibly save a lot of money. I think we've settled on saving up for some kind of stone fence

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I live someplace where it gets cold and I have a heater in my exhaust fan and it owns. It must not be efficient though

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does getting a fan with a heating element require additional wiring or fan you put one in where a regular fan already exists?

I presume an additional set of wires need to be run to the control switch so you can then the heat on/off?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Does getting a fan with a heating element require additional wiring or fan you put one in where a regular fan already exists?

I presume an additional set of wires need to be run to the control switch so you can then the heat on/off?

If you just had something like 14-2 you could replace it with 14-3, which would have an additional hot wire for another switched thing at the end (you'd also have to replace the box to accommodate another switch). Likely the circuit wouldn't have enough capacity for a heater though. I ran a dedicated 20 amp circuit to my bathroom specifically for this Stiebel wall mounted heater. Let me tell you, that thing is tits, especially as my bathroom doesn't have any heat ducts

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 30, 2016

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Seconding the Panasonic recommendation. Just got one per my GC's recommendation and it is super quiet.

Definitely go Panasonic. If the fans already on it's own switch, I'd also recommend a humidity sensor. Not having to worry about turning the fan on/off after a shower is pretty awesome.

Since it's not terribly clear from the description, it "Can be manually controlled for immediate ventilation needs.". Which means you press the bottom and it turns on for how ever many minutes you have it set to, then turns off.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

devicenull posted:

Definitely go Panasonic. If the fans already on it's own switch, I'd also recommend a humidity sensor. Not having to worry about turning the fan on/off after a shower is pretty awesome.

Since it's not terribly clear from the description, it "Can be manually controlled for immediate ventilation needs.". Which means you press the bottom and it turns on for how ever many minutes you have it set to, then turns off.

I have that humidity sensor switch and I have to say (like you will see from the reviews) that it is pretty hit or miss. Even with the sensitivity set to the highest level the fan never gets turned on on its own. I wish I had just bought a timer switch, because I end up turning the fan on manually every time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Couchchat: While most IKEA couches fall somewhere between "literally a rock with legs" and "A sheet of plywood with a single micron of foam padding and a fabric cover," there are a few that are pretty comfortable. I have a Nockeby sectional; It's super comfy, the cover is washable (and replaceable, if it comes to that,) and it's built like a brick shithouse.

This is of very little help if you want a leather couch; I find literally all of Ikea's leather sofas to be heinously uncomfortable.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jose Cuervo posted:

I have that humidity sensor switch and I have to say (like you will see from the reviews) that it is pretty hit or miss. Even with the sensitivity set to the highest level the fan never gets turned on on its own. I wish I had just bought a timer switch, because I end up turning the fan on manually every time.

Hm, maybe it's because I have a pretty small bathroom with no other real ventilation. I've noticed it always kicks on within a couple minutes of turning the shower on.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Well gently caress, last night I rented a more heavy duty 50 foot snake and about 30 foot in, so right about the edge of my foundation, we hit something that was tough to get through and when we pulled it back up the cutter was full of clay. So, that's awesome. Gonna get a camera down there at some point in the next couple of weeks but it looks like I may have a collapsed pipe. Yay. At least it isn't my main drain giving me issues, its the drain from my kitchen sink.

Do never buy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Renovating my kitchen and my GC pulled the original drain lines from when my house was built in 1956:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My dad cut a lead pipe out of the upstairs bathroom that was literally just large enough to fit a BB into. Also built in that same era.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How well does radiant heat work if you're mostly on furniture, like in a media room? My basement is fairly chilly, and I haven't tried to rebalance the vents or anything yet, but I'm considering my options.

Also: are there minimally-invasive (read: not opening drywall) options for dealing with "it takes a full minute for hot water to get to this tap"? The shower in the same room seems to heat up much faster, possible because of pipe size maybe? I'm not good at house.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
For your hot water issue, you can get a hot water recirculation system like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hot-Water-Recirculating-System-with-Built-In-Timer-500800/100426993

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Also: are there minimally-invasive (read: not opening drywall) options for dealing with "it takes a full minute for hot water to get to this tap"? The shower in the same room seems to heat up much faster, possible because of pipe size maybe? I'm not good at house.

Well, it depends on where your water pipes go. You said you have a basement, if the water pipe from your hot water heater to your various faucets runs along the basement ceiling, then hey, you can easily insulate it! But if it goes somewhere else, that could be harder to access.

Basically this isn't rocket science, you want to wrap your hot water pipes in insulating foam, but that's never going to be as good as having the hot water heater/tankless heater closer to where your faucets are.

For $more you can replace metal pipes with PEX or whatever. Metal takes a lot more energy to heat up so it will cool the water for longer. Plastic pipes will suck away less heat as the water flows through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Economic Sinkhole posted:

For your hot water issue, you can get a hot water recirculation system like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hot-Water-Recirculating-System-with-Built-In-Timer-500800/100426993

Well that's interesting, thank you!