Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TRON JEREMY posted:

help I can't stop taking goofy pictures

Don't.
Don't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

comatose posted:

Is that the one that starts in the gorge?

Ya

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I made some vinyls!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm not getting any stutter but then I installed it to my HDD instead of SSD. It could be that the stuttering is coming from the game being installed on SSD somehow.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ahhh me and a mate spent like an hour trying to get that done. If you can screenshot the map for me I can probably scribble a rough route that we took. I think we ended up figuring out that at about halfway to the finish line the road becomes quicker than bush bashing because of all the trees in the way.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 363 days!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Don't.
Don't stop.

aight bud

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Pardon my lovely computer but I just wanted to let yall know that the Subaru SVX is extremely legit:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is there a goon league for FH3?

So glad to see the auction house back.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 363 days!
brb, passing

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm not getting any stutter but then I installed it to my HDD instead of SSD. It could be that the stuttering is coming from the game being installed on SSD somehow.
Makes absolutely no sense. In regards to controlling and reading data from an SSD, it looks and works the same to the system as an HDD. Except insanely faster.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So just wondering about this, are there any tips for making money out of the auction house short of just moving on the HE spin wins?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I've not had too many issues thus far on PC for FH3 and I'm running an i5 with a 970. No real stutters and i'm running on high. Not getting 60fps all the time, but high frame rates never bothered me, so long as it's playable.

Screenshots:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

I just joined GRRC as "BreakSet" which appears to be the main goon club.

Zip! posted:

So just wondering about this, are there any tips for making money out of the auction house short of just moving on the HE spin wins?

Slap an interesting skin on any car you want to sell.

Put visual bodykit stuff on it - it is usually pretty cheap and can attract impulsive buyers that think you tuned the car beyond ricer mods.

Set short auctions for when you're actively playing and don't expect to make too much off most single sales.

As of right now people are just listing cars immediately as they get them and this is the easiest way to standout.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

ChocNitty posted:

Gutbomb? Want to migrate GRC over to FH3?

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Digital Foundry had an interesting little video about getting good framerates on PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofFpnArXbJ8

Seems to boil down to 'turn MSAA off if you really want to be able to get a consistent framerate'.

Personally I ended up going with a locked 60fps at 2560x1440, as it seemed to get rid of -most- of the micro stutters I had with unlocked framerate + gsync. I turned off MSAA and dropped Ultra off a couple of things I don't think I'd really notice, like shadows or something.

andyf fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 28, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Croccers posted:

I guess?
It does feel real but at the same time, like every game based around real locations, the scale is waaaay off.

Coober Pedy to Gold Coast? San Diego to Portland.

Here are some of the other locations I threw on your map. Note that ingame the radio telescope is labeled Parkes, which only has one huge dish (64m) and is in the middle of a sheep paddock. But ingame it is actually the Australian Telescope Compact Array which you can drive around.
Also I just assume they meant the superpit at Kalgoorlie as the gold mine (and airport)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

andyf posted:

Digital Foundry had an interesting little video about getting good framerates on PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofFpnArXbJ8

Seems to boil down to 'turn MSAA off if you really want to be able to get a consistent framerate'.

Personally I ended up going with a locked 60fps at 2560x1440, as it seemed to get rid of -most- of the micro stutters I had with unlocked framerate + gsync. I turned off MSAA and dropped Ultra off a couple of things I don't think I'd really notice, like shadows or something.

Testing out I seem to get a range of 40-60 fps at Ultra settings with MSAA off at 1920x1080. I think you can switch MSAA back on through the nvidia control panel and its supposed to handle it better than in game?

Trying to work out if Frame Smoothing is good or bad.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Gutbomb? Want to migrate GRC over to FH3?

No. We'd lose people and it's a different experience.

Speaking of GRC it's the hour long endurance race with our historic Trans am racing cars at Sebring International Raceway tonight at 9 eastern.

Be there!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Won this sweet looking Ferrari.

Has somewhat insane handling so you can drift around corners pretty easily (then proceed to crash into a tree).

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
It is really a shame this game is placed behind such a lovely business model. I liked the demo and I bet I would have a lot of fun with goons with this. And I do not even mind that they are cutting out cars to repackage as DLC in whatever sports pass/car pass/who the hell cares pass. Or that they cut certain events out of the game to package with another DLC within VIP Membership. Or that they cut out two islands to repackage as an expansion pass.

But for fucks sake, forcing users to use Microsoft Azure to get custom audio tracks which then forces the user to pay $9.99 a month to use the back end service as well? gently caress me.

I was placing my own music in custom tracks for Touchdown music, kick off music, whatever the hell I wanted to do with it using a clean interface in NFL2k4 on the original Xbox for fucks sake.

All in all $135 for everything they sliced out to repackage as DLC, and a $10 a month charge to play custom audio inside the game when that poo poo has been accessible since loving 2003 to play custom tracks and use our own music (Rockstar gives us the option in GTA5 to this day) and not even give us the option for that. Forcing to use a service no one gives gently caress all about.

And what is that charge for $2.99 to use the horn of your car? Please tell me there is something more to it then unlocking the loving use of your horn.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 28, 2016

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I don't get the Horn pack.
Do you get extra horns for buying it? Otherwise you can just unlock all the horns on the way to unlocking the 50,000credit Re-spin skill.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Utnayan posted:

And what is that charge for $2.99 to use the horn of your car? Please tell me there is something more to it then unlocking the loving use of your horn.

It just unlocks fancy horns. You have a normal horn and get a bunch of special ones as you play the game. I actually don't know that the "pack" gives you anything beyond what you get playing the game.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

GutBomb posted:

No. We'd lose people and it's a different experience.

Speaking of GRC it's the hour long endurance race with our historic Trans am racing cars at Sebring International Raceway tonight at 9 eastern.

Be there!

Judging by the massive surge in posts since FH3 was released, i think we'd gain people. Really the main pull of it for me. I miss 15 car grids :(

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Utnayan posted:

It is really a shame this game is placed behind such a lovely business model. I liked the demo and I bet I would have a lot of fun with goons with this. And I do not even mind that they are cutting out cars to repackage as DLC in whatever sports pass/car pass/who the hell cares pass. Or that they cut certain events out of the game to package with another DLC within VIP Membership. Or that they cut out two islands to repackage as an expansion pass.

But for fucks sake, forcing users to use Microsoft Azure to get custom audio tracks which then forces the user to pay $9.99 a month to use the back end service as well? gently caress me.

I was placing my own music in custom tracks for Touchdown music, kick off music, whatever the hell I wanted to do with it using a clean interface in NFL2k4 on the original Xbox for fucks sake.

All in all $135 for everything they sliced out to repackage as DLC, and a $10 a month charge to play custom audio inside the game when that poo poo has been accessible since loving 2003 to play custom tracks and use our own music (Rockstar gives us the option in GTA5 to this day) and not even give us the option for that. Forcing to use a service no one gives gently caress all about.

Forza is the king of chiseling you. I'm surprised the in-game credits/money isn't for sale like GTA Online does, since they instituted the HE cars on the prize wheel thing. And don't get me started on the goddamn Porsche expansion we can expect in a year.

I'm pretty sure the horn pack just immediately unlocks all the horns you would get through progression anyway.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Hahaha, i had a feeling this would work.

So if any of you want to make stickers and designs and you're on pc, set forza to windowed mode and go grab Kuadro, its free and tiny, and lets you overlay images on your screen, like so.

Have fun making those designs you've always wanted :D

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'll buy this game once you can inject SVGs right into the game.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Goddamn the 50k wheelspin perk is so addicting. Got a Horizon Edition Jag from one of those, but had to force myself to stop after going about 300k into the hole. (Shame it isn't VIP wheelspins. You could probably make money :unsmigghh:)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Makes absolutely no sense. In regards to controlling and reading data from an SSD, it looks and works the same to the system as an HDD. Except insanely faster.

I read somewhere that the game uses EFS and that causes the CPU usage to spike up as everything is being decrypted on the fly. Which also means the I/O activity is high because the encryption is preventing files to be cached and the CPU is bottlenecked reading a large amount of data. Because HDD read speeds are slower than SSDs, there's less data being decrypted per second so not as many CPU spikes.

Well, in theory anyway. That's why I suggested that it being on HDD might work out better.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Judging by the massive surge in posts since FH3 was released, i think we'd gain people. Really the main pull of it for me. I miss 15 car grids :(

The FH3 craze is a temporary thing. It's just like FH1 and FH2. In a couple months no one will be playing FH3 anymore but people will still want to play FM6. I'm sure we're going to get up to some GRC extracurricular shenanigans in FH3, but the core of GRC and GTCC is going to remain in FM6.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's what happened with FH1, which is why I'm wary to buy this new one. Everyone went hog wild on Forza Horizon and then the fun wore off. It ended up just being me and a few people playing so I went back to Forza 4.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Goon Racing - With the Blueprints feature i think a lot of fun could be had with Asynchronous or Rivals challenges made directly for the Club. we'd just need to look into how hard/easy it is to share. Plus - you guys all race too early in the night anyways :( Ahh - that one or two weeks where FM6 started at 7pm and not 6 ... glorious days. Oh well.

I don't get the complaints about the business model on this release. This game is loving Giant with Days worth of Content. DLC cars are just a staple of any racing game now and if they are doing work on Post Launch expansions ... that is cool. I find hard to complain about cut Content though when there are 350+ cars in a game at launch. VIP is a bit of a stretch, I'll give you that, but i guess i'm just used to it.

Also Groove Music does not require a subscription fee to use a custom playlist in game. You have 5GB free OneDrive space to upload your own music. It still sucks that it removes DJ Skill Songs and has no shuffle. I believe the Horn pack is just an early unlock sorta thing, if I'm not mistaken.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

You don't have to pay the music service to actually stream your own tracks, they just shove the subscription in your face.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 363 days!
S U C C E S S

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I read somewhere that the game uses EFS and that causes the CPU usage to spike up as everything is being decrypted on the fly. Which also means the I/O activity is high because the encryption is preventing files to be cached and the CPU is bottlenecked reading a large amount of data. Because HDD read speeds are slower than SSDs, there's less data being decrypted per second so not as many CPU spikes.

Well, in theory anyway. That's why I suggested that it being on HDD might work out better.
In a decently designed system, the IO thread streaming the geometry should be low-priority and not block the system.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

That's cool, is it a Reliant Robin? I haven't seen one in game yet.

I like how they will throw random stuff at you to try things you normally wouldn't. I won a D-class Datsun on a random spin and turned it into a modest rat rod:

Also got a McLaren that immediately sold for hundreds of thousands of cyber-bucks so I'll be digging into upgrades for the rest of my cars finally.

This is the first Forza I've owned since 2 so maybe I'm a bit more forgiving than most but lol I can't be mad at the DLC pricing. Most of that the extra cars aren't even that important unless you're trying to collect every car like its a Pokemon game. It's not like performance is an issue. This is an arcade racer that gives you free supercars as you progress even if you have the worst of luck with lottery spins. I've managed to get dozens of my favorite cars in just the first day with only the standard entry version. This is mostly thanks to the Auction House which rules and I'm pretty sure if you play regularly you'll be able to find anything you want on there.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Ok so if I do not have to subscribe to Groove for Custom playlists, how would that work on Xbox One? Would I take the music and install it on a folder on the Xbox One? Or use my PC and install it on OneDrive and it automatically pulls it? That would really be the only thing holding me back right now if the DLC isn't that big of a deal. Also, any reason why there isn't a Forza Horizon 3 thread so the Forza 6 guys can have their thread in peace? :)

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 28, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I dunno about on a console but I usually just mute the in-game music of most titles and play stuff like I normally would in the background and just alt-tab if I have to change it. I also have a whole separate computer dedicated to stuff like music and video editing which essentially can double as a jukebox.

You could always use your phone and plug it into your speakers or something if you're that serious about hearing exactly what you want to hear, idk?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 363 days!

Thief posted:

That's cool, is it a Reliant Robin? I haven't seen one in game yet.

It's the Robin's cousin, a Reliant Regal. Barn find car. You can give it a turbocharged motorcycle engine, and the 'widebody kit' is a pair of training wheels

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Hurf, Forza's gone weird and every time I take a screenshot, it takes the framerate to 25-30 and it never recovers. Have to restart the game.

Was not doing this at all yesterday. Most peculiar. Probably a launch-day bug that'll get fixed in a few weeks or so. (I hope)

Just hit the 320k fans benchmark!

e - oh wow ok it actually bricks the framerate between full invokes of the game. Gotta reboot to fix it. Windows being awful then I guess.

e2 - looks like an issue with the (latest) nvidia driver. core and memory clock drop down massively unless I reboot. They should be => 1150 (Core) / 1750 (Memory) but get stuck at 600 / 400 and I can't seem to reset them.

Is there even a way to 'restart' a display driver in Windows 10 :v:

andyf fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Cojawfee posted:

That's what happened with FH1, which is why I'm wary to buy this new one. Everyone went hog wild on Forza Horizon and then the fun wore off. It ended up just being me and a few people playing so I went back to Forza 4.

Horizon 3 could have more long-term appeal for a few people like me who don't have an Xbox and can't play Forza Motorsport. Especially because Horizon 3 is just fun an casual and great for those days when I'm too tired/hung over to do anything meaningful with Assetto Corsa or iRacing.

• Locked thread