Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
if you read the old issues he used to have a lot more inside information. now it seems like PWInsider has him soundly beaten as far as that goes, although even they don't remotely compare to the amount of scoops Dave got in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
poo poo. I meant to post that in the Twitter thread. And now I've been beaten.

I'm curious as to what will happen to wrestling "journalism" once Meltzer retires.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Dario the Wop posted:

I'm curious as to what will happen to wrestling "journalism" once Meltzer retires.

Well Apter will probably be alive forever, but I guess all he really does anymore are those interviews on 1wrestling

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
With Meltzer gone, a new king of wrestling journalism needs to be crowned. A million new dirt sheets arise to take the crown.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
scott keith

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ESPN will be the dirtiest dirt sheet. That is, bought and paid for advertising for WWE.

Alternatively, Rovert starts a website.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Super No Vacancy posted:

the perception of the observer from non-readers is one of the more interesting things about the wrestling fandom i think. like we like to roast dave's perceived biases and stuff but a large portion (majority?) of internet fans have only encountered his name filtered through scoopz clickbait so they think that's what the observer is too and it'd be funny to give them a stack of print copies like no it's really just some huge nerd who writes a weekly 100,000-word history of the wrestling business around the world and opines on whether some things worked or not. please read these two pages on the gates and revenue streams of the top mexican promotions as compared to 5 years ago and then get back to me

the last time meltzer even engaged in explicit scoopery was when he got worked on the cm punk non-return now it's all coded language about things he's been reasonably able to confirm on background from a few people

did I already post this in this thread, maybe I did

I picture it like this:

THE WRESTLIN OBSERVAR NEWSLETTER

by

BIG DAVE METZLER

Hello again WWE fans!! BIG news week this week, from THE BIG DOG DAVE METZLER.

WWE Raw featured a 4 3/4* MATCH between ROMAN REIGNS AND ROOSEV!! VERY GOOD MATCH!!!! Only thing holding it back was that neither wrestler was Japanese, and unless plans changed, the match was also not held in Japan. Working on verifying that.

Raw was a strong show. The ratings were only low due to the debate, but my PERSONAL FRIEND Vincent McMahon says it's fine and he's making lots of money. You should watch this show, it was very good.

That's enough WWE news, let's focus on the main priority, TNA WRESTLING!

The show was bad. I tried to attend live, but one of the IMPACT ZONE regulars threw KETCHUP AT ME!!! So I ran away. My sources say Mouse and WWE JOBBER Bobby Lashley had a -3* match. No surprise. they're bad.

I caught the taped episode of Impact. BAD SHOW. It didn't have any WWE or Japanese wrestlers, so it sucked.

My sources say TNA will be out of business by the end of the week. It was supposed to happen last week, but plans changed. Billy Corrigan, of the 90s Rock Band, Stoned Temple Pilots, was going to bid on TNA, but Dixie Carter wanted 400 dollars, Billie only offered 50 dollars and a hot dog, which Dixie turned down because she hates America.

THIS WEEK'S SCOOPS (DO NOT REPOST OR SHARE WITH OTHER SITES!!!!)

CM PUNK is returning to WWE this Monday Night!

GOLDBERG will be at No Mercy to challenge Brock Lesnar to an MMA shootfight

This was supposed to happen last month, but plans changed

The Undertaker has passed away, RIP

That's all until next week! (P.S. TNA SUCKS)

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Endless Mike posted:

Alternatively, Rovert starts a website.
I'd love to see that, actually. Endless Charlotte burials, Becky Lynch centerfolds, and trolling. Plus scoops!

Anything would be better than Scott Keith. BONZO GONZO

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

All the posts on Rovert's website are backdated two weeks.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I picture it like this:

by

BIG DAVE METZLER

WWE Raw featured a 4 3/4* MATCH between ROMAN REIGNS AND ROOSEV!! VERY GOOD MATCH!!!! Only thing holding it back was that neither wrestler was Japanese, and unless plans changed, the match was also not held in Japan. Working on verifying that.

Raw was a strong show. The ratings were only low due to the debate, but my PERSONAL FRIEND Vincent McMahon says it's fine and he's making lots of money. You should watch this show, it was very good.

The show was bad. I tried to attend live, but one of the IMPACT ZONE regulars threw KETCHUP AT ME!!! So I ran away. My sources say Mouse and WWE JOBBER Bobby Lashley had a -3* match. No surprise. they're bad.

I caught the taped episode of Impact. BAD SHOW. It didn't have any WWE or Japanese wrestlers, so it sucked.

My sources say TNA will be out of business by the end of the week. It was supposed to happen last week, but plans changed. Billy Corrigan, of the 90s Rock Band, Stoned Temple Pilots, was going to bid on TNA, but Dixie Carter wanted 400 dollars, Billie only offered 50 dollars and a hot dog, which Dixie turned down because she hates America.

You missed the "STEPHANIE MCMAHON NOODS? CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT" (link leads to every virus, ever)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm having Matt Boone flashbacks. He used to post fake clickbait poo poo all the time on every wrestleboard.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I picture it like this:

by

BIG DAVE METZLER

you forgot the part where he directly copy and pastes dragon gate coverage from jae's website

but this was r funny great job

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Dario the Wop posted:

A guy who doesn't watch the shows, his grandma, and a guy who watches the Hulu version of RAW

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dave Meltzer has the biggest penetration currently and is great at providing historical context and has a wealth of first and second hand accounts.

That being said if you're looking for reviews, tabloid scoops, or just good writing about the business side of things there are people out there who do these things better than Dave Meltzer in 2016.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oatgan posted:

Dave Meltzer has the biggest penetration currently

Well it certainly ain't Seth Rollins :grin:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Insert joke regarding Meltzer and joshis.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

oatgan posted:

Dave Meltzer has the biggest penetration currently and is great at providing historical context and has a wealth of first and second hand accounts.

That being said if you're looking for reviews, tabloid scoops, or just good writing about the business side of things there are people out there who do these things better than Dave Meltzer in 2016.

I still trust his reviews, but this is largely because there's a lot of taste overlap, and even where I disagree, due to many years of readership, I know what his biases are and can pretty successfully guess what I'm going to rate a match based on his rating.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Rick posted:

I still trust his reviews, but this is largely because there's a lot of taste overlap, and even where I disagree, due to many years of readership, I know what his biases are and can pretty successfully guess what I'm going to rate a match based on his rating.

For that specifically i meant there are people who review a lot more stuff. Dave doesn't touch indies or anything happening in Japan outside of NJPW

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dave suits my needs as a big fan of bone dry sarcasm and run-on sentences that veer off on a little adventure far, far away from their original context

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

For that specifically i meant there are people who review a lot more stuff. Dave doesn't touch indies or anything happening in Japan outside of NJPW

Didn't he used to do a lot of AJPW coverage? They've fallen off quite a bit in recent years but I'm pretty sure he had quite a handle on them at their peak. Nowadays it makes sense that he doesn't do much beyond New Japan though. I don't think there's any way Dave could've broken into Dragon Gate more than Jae has, considering he lives in Japan and goes to every show he can, and Japan's kind of a huge dropoff after #1 and #2, right? Or have others gained on DG over the years?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oatgan posted:

Dave Meltzer has the biggest penetration currently
how big is batista's penetration

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Didn't he used to do a lot of AJPW coverage? They've fallen off quite a bit in recent years but I'm pretty sure he had quite a handle on them at their peak. Nowadays it makes sense that he doesn't do much beyond New Japan though. I don't think there's any way Dave could've broken into Dragon Gate more than Jae has, considering he lives in Japan and goes to every show he can, and Japan's kind of a huge dropoff after #1 and #2, right? Or have others gained on DG over the years?

example: it's somewhat crazy that Dave never talks about Evolve despite their relationship with WWE

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

oatgan posted:

example: it's somewhat crazy that Dave never talks about Evolve despite their relationship with WWE

I guess it's crazy that he doesn't talk about the talent a little more, but I mean the shows attendance wise are still basically 'local indy' aren't they?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Never realized the level of stimulus the TNA roster provides when they tape in Orlando every 3 months

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

if only there were multiple tourist attractions/employers in orlando that did 100x TNA's business every day or something. That would be nice.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
He's right, if TNA closes down Universal Studios will sit vacant, the wrestlers will never work or spend money again...sad stuff.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
TNA's death will cause a global economic crisis.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm honestly impressed. I thought none of them would believe the company was in danger even after Corgan repeatedly publicly said the PPV might not happen

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ThePariah posted:

TNA's death will cause a global economic crisis.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that if TNA doesn't run Bound For Glory it'll be like the housing crisis times 9/11.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Remember when WCW stopped taping at Disney MGM? Disney never came back from that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Never realized the level of stimulus the TNA roster provides when they tape in Orlando every 3 months

I don't see his logic here. I mean surely if you lose one job you don't immediately quit your bartending job?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

While he's technically true, I'm sure those restaurants will recover from that rounding error.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

TNA closing down will be a worse catastrophe for Orlando than the Pulse nightclub shooting.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm honestly impressed. I thought none of them would believe the company was in danger even after Corgan repeatedly publicly said the PPV might not happen

They didn't until they realised they couldn't order the drat thing.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Chris James 2 posted:

'Billy must be getting fed a line of bullshit by Dave Meltzer!'

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Dave used to be really up on nearly all of Japan, as the retro observers prove. He got nearly everything that made tape. Over time, that has obv dwindled. He did decent DG coverage through the end of UStream. Now he just lifts what Jae says on his website. He might cover DG's PPVs weeks after the fact, but it's basically plagiarism outside of that.

Outside of Jae, I'd go with whatever coverage VoW does. They don't have necessarily the cultural insight but they cover everything. I'd do a lot more podcasting/articles if real life hasn't consumed me as of late.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I sort of agree with the Rollins part, at least once the Triple H feud is done. It'd be one thing if he'd adopted it on the indies and just kept it, but he only does it because of Hunter, so it makes him seem like a knock-off, and the last thing WWE needs is more stuff that makes the Attitude Era seem like the 'real' product.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Rollins doing the pedigree is his way of sticking it to HHH, its fine storywise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rollins doesn't do it as good as H^3 does. Case in point, people kick out of it when Rollins does it.