Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It works fine - me, 2006
People got snarky the last time I jokingly said that iOS finally got a feature that Google's had forever, so I'll simply add that visual voicemail also now attempts to transcribe voicemails with iOS 10 on 6S and up devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

I've had 3 iPhones and just heard of it now when I got the 7....I don't know what to say. Canada carrier thing?

Nah the big 3 all have visual voicemail and have had it since they got the iPhone you just had to ask for it. When I was on Rogers it was part of some bullshit "iPhone Value Pack" or some nonsense like that. I think it's $3/mo for me now with Koodo (which is Telus).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does Apple even support iTunes for Windows anymore?

Absolutely not, so you should switch to something else.

Completely unrelated: What's the point of just posting angry grandpa issues 24/7 that you could easily fix if you googled for them?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

People got snarky the last time I jokingly said that iOS finally got a feature that Google's had forever, so I'll simply add that visual voicemail also now attempts to transcribe voicemails with iOS 10 on 6S and up devices.

Pretty dumb limitation since the carrier needs to spin up a server to support the feature anyway; just make the server do the transcription.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
There's only a single carrier in Australia that supports visual voice mail, and you need to pay $5 per month for the privilege. Plus that carrier is already ridiculously overpriced because they are the original formerly government owned monopoly carrier, and they promote themselves as having the best network (and to be fair they are often the only choice in remote communities). A typical byo phone plan with them is $50 per month for 2.5gb of data whereas my carrier charges $40 per month for 8gb. The only 'downside' for being on the slower network is that I usually have to make do with as little as 50 megabits download over LTE.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Believe you have to press the View button to get more actions. That's what I've been doing with text messages and reminders.

Oh poo poo, that's silly. Thanks.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

The Lord Bude posted:

There's only a single carrier in Australia that supports visual voice mail, and you need to pay $5 per month for the privilege. Plus that carrier is already ridiculously overpriced because they are the original formerly government owned monopoly carrier, and they promote themselves as having the best network (and to be fair they are often the only choice in remote communities). A typical byo phone plan with them is $50 per month for 2.5gb of data whereas my carrier charges $40 per month for 8gb. The only 'downside' for being on the slower network is that I usually have to make do with as little as 50 megabits download over LTE.

I'm with Telstra and I'm not paying extra for it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Wheezle posted:

It's free with the higher bundles, isn't it?

I'm with Optus so don't have VVM, but nobody calls me anyway so :confuoot:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

btw other Canucks should join us in the Canadian telecom thread (it's like a kiss 'n cry, but mostly cry)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492258

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wheezle posted:

Vodafone also has it for free.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Visual voicemail is useless unless you're in the habit of getting two minute long voicemail messages

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is the app store currently hosed for anyone else? Stuck in infinite-loading search right now.

Natural Laxative
Aug 20, 2004

Nodelphi posted:

Noticing very poor voice performance on calls with the 7+. It's to the point where we're using our land line more because people can't understand us on our 7+'s, any suggestions or tweaks or is this a design issue? I can't see how both my wife and I would have gotten a bad phone.

I had same issue, I realized the cell options in settings had voice over lte on and I have poor lte reception at my house, turning that off improved voice reception, same thing happened with my girlfriends phone. Switch it to data only for lte and see if that helps?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Creature posted:

It's free with the higher bundles, isn't it?

I'm with Optus so don't have VVM, but nobody calls me anyway so :confuoot:

Not to my knowledge. I moved from Telstra to Optus a few months ago and haven't looked back. So much better value.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Josh Lyman posted:

Visual voicemail is useless unless you're in the habit of getting two minute long voicemail messages

You obviously have had it for too long or don't get enough voicemails because the ability to listen to the 6th voicemail in your box, from a contact, before the 5 from telemarketers makes VV great in comparison to the alternative.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The fewer voice menus I have to navigate with a keypad like some kind of goddamned caveman the better

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There's probably a better thread for this, but does anyone have earbud alternatives they'd recommend? The line-controls feel like a must, they're just too useful but it always feels hard to find decent earbud headphones that don't cost a ton with them.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I didn't know not having visual voicemail was a thing? Upon seeing the new transcription crap my wife and I were talking about old tech and how we used to have to call our voicemail and listen to voice menus and "press 1 to save message" etc. I didn't know people still did that. I assumed voicemail just popped up on a list on every phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

There's probably a better thread for this, but does anyone have earbud alternatives they'd recommend? The line-controls feel like a must, they're just too useful but it always feels hard to find decent earbud headphones that don't cost a ton with them.

I've be using these for a bit and they're pretty good. They apparently went up in price though, since I got them for $10 less.

And visual voicemail has worked great since I had the original iPhone. Transcription makes it even better and, in my experience, is way better than Google was when I last used Google Voice. I'm surprised there's people who didn't know it existed/didn't use it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Weedle posted:

The fewer voice menus I have to navigate with a keypad like some kind of goddamned caveman the better

Yeah this

One of the guys I work with has a cheapo android phone (basically the cheapest you can get on Straight Talk), and he has to do the whole keypad voice menu thing, and he has to do it a LOT since he uses the phone as his main point of contact for his rental properties, and it looks like an absolutely miserable time. I'm never going to a carrier that doesn't have VV.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Someone in the headset thread suggested these because they're like 120 dollars off and should be at least a decent bluetooth set

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Rorus Raz posted:

Someone in the headset thread suggested these because they're like 120 dollars off and should be at least a decent bluetooth set

I'm guessing they are forever $120 off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

These are some "hidden gem" headphones that got discovered about a year ago, supposedly a chinese manufacturer stole the design from some fancy headphone company so they sound way better than their price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NW8GH72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure to get some replacement tips though (scroll down, it's in the frequently bought together area) because the ones they come with are bad.

I've bought two pairs of these headphones and am pretty happy with them sound wise. The inline controls are a bit sketchy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm guessing they are forever $120 off.

Yes they are but they are pretty drat good for $40.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

These are some "hidden gem" headphones that got discovered about a year ago, supposedly a chinese manufacturer stole the design from some fancy headphone company so they sound way better than their price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NW8GH72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure to get some replacement tips though (scroll down, it's in the frequently bought together area) because the ones they come with are bad.

I've bought two pairs of these headphones and am pretty happy with them sound wise. The inline controls are a bit sketchy.

I started using Comply foam tips and they're just the best. Buy some of those.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I started using Comply foam tips and they're just the best. Buy some of those.

This guy knows whats up. I have them on two different headphones and they really do make a difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My only complaint is they seem to tear kinda easy, but they're cheap enough to buy a bunch and move along.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

screamin and creamin posted:

Absolutely not, so you should switch to something else.

Completely unrelated: What's the point of just posting angry grandpa issues 24/7 that you could easily fix if you googled for them?

Huh? iTunes for windows is obviously still being made and actively supported.

It might not be *good* but that's a different problem.

Edit: don't we have a dedicated iTunes thread in SHSC? They might be a better place to ask simpler iTunes questions.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

MrBond posted:

Huh? iTunes for windows is obviously still being made and actively supported.

It might not be *good* but that's a different problem.

Edit: don't we have a dedicated iTunes thread in SHSC? They might be a better place to ask simpler iTunes questions.

Welcome to SA, Mr. Bond! This must be your first mission or something, so let me show you around and tell you about a concept called "sarcasm".

So to lay it all out for you in non-sarcastic terms: A few abrasive curmudgeons here are about 5 years behind the times and unable to shut up about their issues related to syncing their iPhone music with iTunes. It got a little repetitive and annoying after a while and started dominating the discussion here with the usual comments people give in these situations ("OH I THOUGHT WITH APPLE EVERYTHING 'JUST WORKS', SO WHY CAN'T I USE IOS 1.0 ANYMORE, HUH?"), so some people, me among them, tried to tell them to buzz off. That's why I posted that iTunes for Windows isn't supported anymore. It was A JOKE. I hoped they'd get the hint. Looks like they might have, but you didn't.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is anyone else having trouble with the Bluetooth on their 7 or 7+ in the car? If I interact with the phone at all my Bluetooth music gets choppy and eventually stops and the only way to start again going to airplane mode and have it reconnect my car.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

screamin and creamin posted:

Welcome to SA, Mr. Bond! This must be your first mission or something, so let me show you around and tell you about a concept called "sarcasm".

So to lay it all out for you in non-sarcastic terms: A few abrasive curmudgeons here are about 5 years behind the times and unable to shut up about their issues related to syncing their iPhone music with iTunes. It got a little repetitive and annoying after a while and started dominating the discussion here with the usual comments people give in these situations ("OH I THOUGHT WITH APPLE EVERYTHING 'JUST WORKS', SO WHY CAN'T I USE IOS 1.0 ANYMORE, HUH?"), so some people, me among them, tried to tell them to buzz off. That's why I posted that iTunes for Windows isn't supported anymore. It was A JOKE. I hoped they'd get the hint. Looks like they might have, but you didn't.

There was no humor or indeed anything at all in your post to indicate that it was a joke rather than just someone giving inaccurate information, and writing a paragraph calling someone an idiot for not getting your non-joke just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weedle posted:

There was no humor or indeed anything at all in your post to indicate that it was a joke rather than just someone giving inaccurate information, and writing a paragraph calling someone an idiot for not getting your non-joke just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat.
Time to bring back the sarcasm tags!*

*This is a facetious post, only meant to be taken in jest.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm a grandpa that still syncs music via iTunes, but it works fine for me so I've never looked into a different way.

I'm guessing you can just sync through iCloud?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Siri is a little less painful to use now that it's constantly listening. Today I realized I can execute a full command without having to "wait" for the Siri UI to pop up. Only problem is that use outside of the house/on the road is severely degraded from the crazy amount of redwoods here, where I'm at 3G. There's no way to use Siri offline is there?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Feenix posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with the Bluetooth on their 7 or 7+ in the car? If I interact with the phone at all my Bluetooth music gets choppy and eventually stops and the only way to start again going to airplane mode and have it reconnect my car.

I've noticed mine gets a little choppy or stops working when changing connections - e.g. going from Wifi to LTE. This has been a bug off and on for years on iOS so maybe it's that? How's your reception on your drive?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Stupid question so feel free to give me a stupid answer.

Recently upgraded to iPhone 7. My iPhone 6 was jailbroken and runs an early version of ios8 (can't remember exactly)

I want to factory restore the 6 but am aware I would need to remove the jailbreak or I would brick it. Can I run the back up via the handset from the cloud?

The reason I ask is the last backup I made on a Desktop was in like March 2015 and I no longer have a desktop or laptop to run the back off from.

If this is the wrong thread, sorry!

Thrifting Day! fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 28, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You can restore an iCloud backup just fine.

You can factory reset the phone normally, through iTunes. I don't think the "Erase All Content and Settings" button will work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

robodex posted:

I've noticed mine gets a little choppy or stops working when changing connections - e.g. going from Wifi to LTE. This has been a bug off and on for years on iOS so maybe it's that? How's your reception on your drive?

My reception is fine. This never really happened before I got my 7+ last week. This is definitely something else. Seems to coincide with activity on the phone. Getting a text or an email. Turning my screen on, scrolling through a web page.

It will get choppy, then eventually stop. Nothing works except Airplane Mode and then reconnecting via BT.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
I am having trouble with bluetooth in the car with my 7 too. The audio plays fine for a while and then just quits. I look at my phone an it looks as if the song is still playing while the radio on the car shows the previous song. I have to disconnect and then reconnect the bluetooth to get it to work. Also contact info is not displaying on the car screen when a call comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Weedle posted:

Welcome to SA to you too!

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm a grandpa that still syncs music via iTunes, but it works fine for me so I've never looked into a different way.

I'm guessing you can just sync through iCloud?

There are of course ways to make syncing through iTunes work, such as updating everything, letting iTunes manage your collection and a few things I forgot, but with some people you hit some weird resistance when you mention them. Also I think there used to be a dedicated iTunes thread.

There's no iCloud syncing per se that I'm aware of, I've used iTunes Match and now Apple Music, which means I don't need to bother with syncing anymore.