Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How does it work?
It works great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A six hour internet outage came in.

So, the Department of Education provides and controls our internet. This is great, because free internet. This is bad, because they never inform us about changes.

Friday, an AT&T tech shows up unannounced and tells me that he's got a thing to do and I'm the contact but he doesn't know where. After some digging and contacting the DoE, I figure out that this is the followup to the previous clusterfuck I may or may not have mentioned that took us offline for an entire day. AT&T is coming to pre-install some new equipment for the new circuit speed upgrade and they'll follow up today to make the swap over.

I specifically ask the technician how long it will take. Only a few minutes, he says. I ask if there's any possibility of it taking longer than that, and to give me a worst case scenario estimate. Still, no longer than a few minutes because everything is handled beforehand and there's no need to worry.

I'm an idiot.

They get in this morning at 9:00, take the old circuit offline, and then the new circuit won't connect to their OWN loving ROUTER. We faff about like this for a while until we decide to just go back to the old circuit until they figure out what's wrong, but the guy that reconnects the old circuit got called out on assignment and won't be back in the office for two hours. During this time, my network guy attempts to bypass AT&T's router by just plugging directly into our ASA, but can never get it to actually receive a signal back, the same issue as with AT&T's router. Eventually, the reconnection tech returns and reactivates the old circuit, which then proceeds to not work, not receiving a signal, but sending stuff out.

Apparently, AT&T neglected to notify an entire department of the project: The Legacy Hardware department? Anyways, they're responsible for making sure the new equipment was set to correctly communicate with our older hardware. Whoops.

Now we get to send it all back and start over.

I planned none of this. The DoE got a sternly worded email from me and every department is mad over the six hours without internet. Oh, well, blame the state, fuckers.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Primary mistake is AT&T being known for being awful as an ISP for businesses. Dilbert wasn't based on them by accident.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Adobe Connect is down across the board at my training center. This is going to be a fun day :allears:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
A Cryptoware came in:
Hooray, it was a false alarm!

Excellent timing being tomorrow is new phones and systems day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

Also Cisco's way of teaching things is really dumb sometimes. We're going to go over really old crap in depth but oh wait here's something better so don't worry about that old stuff.

This has always killed me when I've been studying CCNA stuff (i have finished 2 books but never actually scheduled a test because I am terrible!) You finish a chapter on something and then the next chapter is like "So anyway everything you just read has been deprecated and you can't use it anymore."

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Inspector_666 posted:

This has always killed me when I've been studying CCNA stuff (i have finished 2 books but never actually scheduled a test because I am terrible!) You finish a chapter on something and then the next chapter is like "So anyway everything you just read has been deprecated and you can't use it anymore."

Both CCENT and Network+ felt it was necessary to start their books with The Beginning Of Time for networking. First 1/4 of each are history lessons.

Not that it isn't useful to have context on why the modern stuff is the way it is and where it came from. But it seems kind of silly to certify somebody based on that info.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Version 3 of the CCNA drops the serial connectivity stuff for what that's worth.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

Version 3 of the CCNA drops the serial connectivity stuff for what that's worth.

They still use 100 meg (or 10 meg) for mostly everything in their examples and labs though. I remember the v2 book (and Network+) being like "1 gig is the wave of the future!".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Holy poo poo thank gently caress, that was the stuff that I had by far the most trouble with when doing practice tests.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do they still act like auto crossover ports don't exist as well?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

Do they still act like auto crossover ports don't exist as well?

Oh yeah they hammer home what you can use crossover and straight through cables on. There's a diagram listing the connections and what type of cable is supposed to be used.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

pr0digal posted:

Oh yeah they hammer home what you can use crossover and straight through cables on. There's a diagram listing the connections and what type of cable is supposed to be used.

And they also test on this exact thing.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ChubbyThePhat posted:

And they also test on this exact thing.
Still?
I took my CCNA a decade ago and half the poo poo in there was out of date. Wasn't a page in that book abount NIUs/smartjacks, but they sure went over a serial connections constantly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But sure to never let your ports auto-negotiate. They need to be set to 100/full or nothing will work!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I have a crossover dongle in my bag of crap just in case I run into something that doesn't play nice. I think I've needed it once.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

But sure to never let your ports auto-negotiate. They need to be set to 100/full or nothing will work!

I have seen some very weird poo poo go down with both ends of a connection on auto.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:toot:

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I have seen some very weird poo poo go down with both ends of a connection on auto.
Yeah, but the default configuration should still be auto, and certainly not 100/full.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, but the default configuration should still be auto, and certainly not 100/full.

Ding ding ding

And chances are the weird poo poo going down was because someone configured the other side manually instead of leaving it on auto, or it was some old piece of poo poo devices that has no business still being in production. I'm not saying it doesn't have its place. My point is more along the lines of I hate the dumb Cisco CCNA-type mentality of "this is what my CCNA from 10 years ago said (which was 10 years out of date at the time), therefore this is how it has to be done."

First against the wall when I am god-king: Phone people.
Second? The old Cisco guard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

First against the wall when I am god-king: Phone people.
Second? The old Cisco guard.

:cheers:

If you can't get something to link up when set to auto negotiate then it's loving broken, replace it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

:cheers:

If you can't get something to link up when set to auto negotiate then it's loving broken, replace it.

Yeah though I still see a lot of "well it didn't work on auto but when I set it to 10 half it worked fine and then we immediately forgot about it forever"

Ideally you should replace your hosed up cable/nic

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Could not agree more.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Only time I've ever had to gently caress with non-auto was a bottom of the barrel Cisco 8 port switch and the cheapest low-end polycom phone. Even then 2 similar models in the same office worked so I could have just as easily told him to throw the defective one out.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We had some printers here that the vendor swore had to be configured for 10mb/full duplex, there was no possible way for these to work otherwise. We told them they were dumb, but configured a port. Well, time goes on and people would move these around the office, and oddly enough people wouldn't swing a cable in the data closet and they'd go into a regular port. Where they worked just fine. As it turned out, the people installing them skipped the step were they configured them to 10mb/full and left them as auto, so they actually worked worse on the port we set aside. They ran fine at 1gb.

However, on the old port someone would plug in a phone and phones really don't like 10mb/half duplex.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Primary mistake is AT&T being known for being awful as an ISP for businesses. Dilbert wasn't based on them by accident.

AT&T and the Mississippi state department of education are pretty deeply in bed with each other. It can be pretty terrible for the local school systems from what I understand.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

However, on the old port someone would plug in a phone and phones really don't like 10mb/half duplex.

SECOND AGAINST THE WALL

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can they both just be joint first against the wall?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You can only put so many people up against the wall until it reaches 95% capacity and fails.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Even though we have 1000 feet of wall, front and back to work with, we must limit ourselves to 100 feet, one sided. This is to ensure compatibility with executions done in the early 1900s and not confuse the firing squad, causing a catastrophic failure. (Don't ask about the catastrophic failure that caused us to implement this policy, it was a doozy!)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Even though we have 1000 feet of wall, front and back to work with, we must limit ourselves to 100 feet, one sided. This is to ensure compatibility with executions done in the early 1900s and not confuse the firing squad, causing a catastrophic failure. (Don't ask about the catastrophic failure that caused us to implement this policy, it was a doozy!)

:perfect:

Reminds me of my first job where the network was amazingly unreliable and I could never determine why, then we moved offices and I found all the chained hubs and cat3 (yes really) under the desks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

3com SuperStack switch shoved in the ceiling, plugged in next to someone's desk, causing a network outage when they need to charge their phone.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

So hey, whats the best way to get into this industry? I was at a temp agency that was curious about my technical-computer literacy, and seemed to think that a non-callcenter IT position was like, a 5 year down the road ambition.

I'm 99% sure that's bullshit, and even helldesk is 'do it for as small a time as you can before getting out'.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TheParadigm posted:

So hey, whats the best way to get into this industry? I was at a temp agency that was curious about my technical-computer literacy, and seemed to think that a non-callcenter IT position was like, a 5 year down the road ambition.

I'm 99% sure that's bullshit, and even helldesk is 'do it for as small a time as you can before getting out'.
Nepotism.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Things have changed a lot since I started and I actually got to skip most of the bullshit, but...

Other than nepotism, my suggestion to someone who had no experience and little knowledge would be to try to find an MSP or NOC that needs someone to field and log inbound calls. That gets your foot in the door and hopefully puts you in a situation where if you show a bit of initiative you can grow.

At the same time, study for your MCSE and make sure to play around with virtualization technology at home on your own time.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Things have changed a lot since I started and I actually got to skip most of the bullshit, but...

Other than nepotism, my suggestion to someone who had no experience and little knowledge would be to try to find an MSP or NOC that needs someone to field and log inbound calls. That gets your foot in the door and hopefully puts you in a situation where if you show a bit of initiative you can grow.

At the same time, study for your MCSE and make sure to play around with virtualization technology at home on your own time.

if you want to work with servers, or study CCNA to go networking route!

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Join the military :laugh:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have a whole bunch of recent (purchased within the last few years) MFPs that poo poo the bed if you leave them set to auto-negotiate. I have no idea why since obviously the switch side is gigabit since this isn't 1998. Configuring the device for 100Mbit causes them to work. We have received no end of false reports from our helpdesk about network drops not working because they didn't bother to test them before blaming us.

I encourage you to manually configure the devices for specific speeds rather than the switch side, because those devices are definitely going to wind up moving and it's pretty much guaranteed no one is going to tell you they moved and no one is going to keep a record of what ports were manually set to lower speeds.

guppy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

TheParadigm posted:

So hey, whats the best way to get into this industry?

MSP will keep you poor but load on as much experience as you can handle, plus a little extra.

Basic certs like N+ and S+ will help get you in to MSPs but good soft skills (communication, friendliness, writing) should do fine.

To get out of the MSP you'll want a CCNA or MCSA, and a good two years. Then you can start making a livable salary. More certs / bachelors degree / project experience is how you move up from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So am I the only one who never bothered with any certifications? All I have is a BS in Computer Science, which was enough to send me on my merry rounds doing software QA, C++ programming, three memorable years as the entire IT department of a 150-person/6-location company full of salesmen, and now server admin for a moderately-big website.

No one so far has ever cared about certifications, or suggested that I might want to go for one. :shrug:

• Locked thread