Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So, is there a left-wing equivalent of Pepe? A meme that's pretty much exclusively used by the left, even if it didn't start that way. Friend and I were idly talking about it. Twitter has a pretty strong left slant so there's got to be something.

dril maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

A Winner is Jew posted:

Newsom will probably be too busy being the CA governor still.

I think he would be ready to try to upgrade after 6 years of being governor

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

theflyingorc posted:

lol i wonder if any members of trump's campaign put two and two together

when he said he doesn't pay people for subpar work

and they're running a losing campaign

This already ahppened, there's a new article about his DC staffers just walking off the job because they got nothing.

At least Mittens and Wallmart give giftcards where you lose 95% of the value. just activating them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The cool thing about Trump cherry picking polls that he won is it means he is less likely to learn from getting pounded by the first debate

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

The Dean thing was dumb as hell but yeah I don't think any of this really has much traction, so long as they don't keep rolling it out trying to make "is Trump a cokehead???" a thing.

Leo Strauss sez: Winners Don't Do Drugs

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So, is there a left-wing equivalent of Pepe? A meme that's pretty much exclusively used by the left, even if it didn't start that way. Friend and I were idly talking about it. Twitter has a pretty strong left slant so there's got to be something.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Putin really, really wants to have Trump in the White House. How much control does he think he could exert over Trump without his proxies? I guess just having an idoit ruining the country as much as possible would be reward enough.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's sad pepe got co-opted by the alt right. a rare pepe was a beautiful thing.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The cool thing about Trump cherry picking polls that he won is it means he is less likely to learn from getting pounded by the first debate

This is the thing I'm loving about this. Romney putting up a bubble of sycophants doomed his campaign, with the whole right wing media machine joining in shouting LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU, and now Trump is doing the very same thing magnified 3 times over.

Literally everything about the Trump campaign is a manifestation of the GOP's total and utter inability to exhibit introspection or learn from history.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's been days now and I still can't figure it, so someone is going to have to explain to me how Trump lost the debate. I don't doubt that he did. Public and media opinion has definitely taken a turn since Monday, but I can not see how people watched the debated and then decided that Trump wasn't their guy. He was an idiotic ("Barron knows computers" on cyber security), patently self interested (not paying taxes makes me smart), misogynistic (Secretary Clinton, is that okay?), liar (almost everything). Thing is, he's always been that brand of rear end in a top hat. Any speech he's given has displayed one of the qualities I listed above, and that's not even addressing his nationalism, racism, and every other ugly tribalism bullshit characteristic he demonstrates. How did Monday night change people's minds? How was contrast between a serious public servant and the brain damaged offspring of Baron Harkonnen not obvious before now?

I know not everyone is as into politics as those of us who frequent a US politics thread on a dead comedy forum but this stuff has been unavoidable for a year. Who the gently caress dismissed everything that came before but then saw this debate and was somehow swayed? Just..how?

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's been days now and I still can't figure it, so someone is going to have to explain to me how Trump lost the debate. I don't doubt that he did. Public and media opinion has definitely taken a turn since Monday, but I can not see how people watched the debated and then decided that Trump wasn't their guy. He was an idiotic ("Barron knows computers" on cyber security), patently self interested (not paying taxes makes me smart), misogynistic (Secretary Clinton, is that okay?), liar (almost everything). Thing is, he's always been that brand of rear end in a top hat. Any speech he's given has displayed one of the qualities I listed above, and that's not even addressing his nationalism, racism, and every other ugly tribalism bullshit characteristic he demonstrates. How did Monday night change people's minds? How was contrast between a serious public servant and the brain damaged offspring of Baron Harkonnen not obvious before now?

I know not everyone is as into politics as those of us who frequent a US politics thread on a dead comedy forum but this stuff has been unavoidable for a year. Who the gently caress dismissed everything that came before but then saw this debate and was somehow swayed? Just..how?

Depends on how you define winning a debate.

Did it appeal to his supporters? Probably.

Did it convince a majority of Americans to vote for him in 6 six weeks? Egghghghghhhh...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zophar posted:

This is the thing I'm loving about this. Romney putting up a bubble of sycophants doomed his campaign, with the whole right wing media machine joining in shouting LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU, and now Trump is doing the very same thing magnified 3 times over.

Literally everything about the Trump campaign is a manifestation of the GOP's total and utter inability to exhibit introspection or learn from history.

I want Trump to show up naked at a rally and complete his transformation into the Emperor's New Clothes.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If you have to ask then you'll never understand.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Who the gently caress dismissed everything that came before but then saw this debate and was somehow swayed? Just..how?

nobody who watched the debate was swayed and if they claim they were they're lying through their teeth.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there something here I'm not getting

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/28/senate-obama-veto-september-11-bill-saudi-arabia

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Because it isn't usually presented in direct contrast to his opponent via her being right there on the stage with him.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I want Trump to show up naked

Please god no

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
As others have said, its not about convincing Trump supporters to abandon ship

Its convincing undecideds to get on board

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Slay queen yaaaass

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As others have said, its not about convincing Trump supporters to abandon ship

Its convincing undecideds to get on board

Not just undecideds, either. The debate will help Hillary GOTV. Unless you're counting undecideds in there with them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Seeing the two of them side by side is different than seeing them both speaking separately, and a lot of people have only heard sound bites up until this point. Hearing the two of them talk in longer form is more illuminating.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I imagine a lot of people may simply never have heard him speak for that long. If you just hear him reported secondhand, or see clips on the news, you could convince yourself that it's out of context, or no different from any politician, or whatever other reason undecided voters are undecided. But 80 million people (at least) watched the debate, and watched it all the way through. That is a lot of undistilled Trump.

E: Also yeah, Hillary is providing a direct contrast the whole time.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody who watched the debate was swayed and if they claim that they're lying through their teeth.

I mean swayed to Clinton. She was on point and all but nothing has changed. He's always been grossly unqualified and she has been blatantly pointing it out for 6 months, when Trump isn't doing it himself. I just need to know what happened on Monday that actually changed the equation. The media and public obviously are leaning Dem at the moment. I just have no idea why.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Puppy Bowl posted:

very few people's minds were changed by the debate. to me, the point is that it demonstrated how little effort trump puts into his own campaign. it was the first time he had to face his opponent, in front of an audience of tens of millions of people, and he got ambushed and completely humilated, because he did not prepare in a realistic fashion. this is just indicative of the lack of attention to detail, the complete lack of professionality that has gone into his campaign, and it demonstrates that he's not going to make the hard effort necessary in this final leg of the campaign to reverse his sagging fortunes

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I mean swayed to Clinton. She was on point and all but nothing has changed. He's always been grossly unqualified and she has been blatantly pointing it out for 6 months, when Trump isn't doing it himself. I just need to know what happened on Monday that actually changed the equation. The media and public obviously are leaning Dem at the moment. I just have no idea why.

before monday, there was still a chance for trump to pull out a late game strategy that might close the gap. he is clearly not going to do anything like that, so now it's more permissible to treat trump like the joke that he is

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pakled posted:

Seeing the two of them side by side is different than seeing them both speaking separately, and a lot of people have only heard sound bites up until this point. Hearing the two of them talk in longer form is more illuminating.

It was shocking to see how stark the difference was when they were both on stage. I never in my wildest dreams thought he could melt down like that. Never. I can't imagine how it looked for truly undecideds that haven't paid attention to politics the last 6 months. Somehow.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Not just undecideds, either. The debate will help Hillary GOTV. Unless you're counting undecideds in there with them.

I'm a fan of the theory that undecideds are actually just disaffected Democrats and Republicans who would never vote for the other guy but need to be convinced to vote for their own, so yeah I would count it as GOTV.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Night10194 posted:

Because it isn't usually presented in direct contrast to his opponent via her being right there on the stage with him.

Not only that, but the media has been obsessively covering Trump in false equivalency terms and basically ignoring Clinton in favor of her non-scandals, to present the narrative of "both sides are equally bad" that uninformed stupid people desire to believe.

Actually seeing them on stage next to each other and having an uncut, unfiltered view of both - Clinton actually having policy positions and knowledge, Trump being Really That Bad - was probably a wake up call to a lot of people who weren't really tuning in before.

Also it's not about changing minds, it's about turnout. It was demoralizing for many Republicans to watch their candidate commit ritual suicide on stage and then get eviscerated by the media. Hence, he lost.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

PhazonLink posted:

This already ahppened, there's a new article about his DC staffers just walking off the job because they got nothing.

Got a link? this sounds like it would be fascinating.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hillary laughed at him to his face and he looked like a weak idiot baby next to her.

If this debate convinced you of anything you didn't already know then yeah you're a huge idiot, but then we're talking about the American electorate here

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Cultural Appropriation

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Part of what swayed it to Clinton: she was up there, she had the knowledge, she was healthy and she proved that she's actually a human being.

Like, seriously. People get hit so much with forced Clinton scandals and "Hillary Clinton: Is She Actually a Literal Goblin?" stories from people 'just asking questions' that they don't really think of her as a person and start thinking of her as some sort of hateful e-mail golem made up of corruption and Benghazi. Seeing her laugh at Trump's insane statements and doing her weird little shoulder shimmy helps dispel that. Also doesn't hurt that her demeanor could be contrasted with the fat snorting minotaur directly next to her.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

lozzle posted:

I'm a fan of the theory that undecideds are actually just disaffected Democrats and Republicans who would never vote for the other guy but need to be convinced to vote for their own, so yeah I would count it as GOTV.
There might be a small core of true undecideds, but I'm not sure they're capable of reaching the voting booth without injuring themselves. So yeah, the relevant ones probably fit this profile instead.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Dolan, for some reason.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
whoops, nevermin

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Trump snarling "where did you find this? WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS?" as Hillary revealed a damning anecdote about him instead of denying it or saying literally anything else at all was a perfect moment. She probably didn't think she'd get that reaction in her wildest dreams.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Congressmen and Senators don't want to be on the other side of a bill as 9/11 families and the same side as Arabs and therefore don't care about legalities like "sovereign immunity" and "international law." Obama is not running for election ever again and does care.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://web.archive.org/web/20060507011645/http://donaldtrump.trumpuniversity.com/default.asp?item=98255

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think it's less about getting undecideds to vote for Hillary and more about getting undecideds to just not vote. They share Trump's values and are impressed with his cult of personality but they don't want the label of having voted for a racist. Hopefully if they see their candidate beside someone who actually knows what they're talking about they can be demoralized into staying home.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
I suspect that a lot of people were waiting until the debates to choose, or even to pay close attention. Trust in the media is really, really low. Seeing the candidates side-by-side allows someone who doesn't want to follow the spin to make a decision based on their own judgement.

Also, seeing Hillary vs Trump humanized Clinton a great deal while most people's impression of her came from years of "objective" reporting on partisan scandals, whereas Trump's behavior verified a lot of what was has been said against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/781266560015040513

• Locked thread