Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone had problems with Unreal demos where you're floating way above the ground? I've done room setup in SteamVR a bunch of times but it's not helping. Anyone know how to fix this? Trying to check out the Sampa demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

StarkRavingMad posted:

Palmer Luckey is an idiot manchild and I'm not surprised he chose to support the dumbest possible candidate in the stupidest way. I seriously doubt he gave it any thought beyond "LOL MEMES ARE FUNNY."

That, to me, make his actions more inexcusable than any political leanings he may have.

Paying for Internet memes, Jesus christ...

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

El Grillo posted:

Anyone had problems with Unreal demos where you're floating way above the ground? I've done room setup in SteamVR a bunch of times but it's not helping. Anyone know how to fix this? Trying to check out the Sampa demo.

Did you set the player position correctly for SteamVR + Unreal? https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/SteamVR/QuickStart/index.html

It looks like it's actually been updated since I messed with it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

ChickenArise posted:

Did you set the player position correctly for SteamVR + Unreal? https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/SteamVR/QuickStart/index.html

It looks like it's actually been updated since I messed with it.
You don't actually need Unreal to play the thing, I think it is packed with the unreal binaries or whatever. So I don't get why Unreal would've decided I'm 4 metres tall..
e: how is it that the steamvr room setup does nothing at all for this?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 28, 2016

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Lemming posted:

You're including a lot of irrelevant stuff in your post (potential effectiveness is irrelevant), but yes, Milo is an unrepentant racist bigot and he will continue to be so. You're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and I'm not.

Milo is totally human garbage, but just to be fair to Palmer, I don't actually think Milo was involved with NimbleAmerica at all besides an endorsement... So i don't think he got any of his $10k like you think he did.

Palmer/Milo/NimbleAmerica apparently share the same views and run in the same circles so yeah w/e.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I thank Palmer for bring VR back since before him, we were still dealing with 3D Glasses and VR really wasn't anywhere to be seen. Besides that, he just needs to fade from view and memory (similar to Notch and Minecraft) now that they have their Billions, and both Tweet stupid crap Political or otherwise.

On the VR in Racing topic, I find it interesting that people get sick in VR SIM play as that is the most "Comfortable" way to use VR that isn't Roomscale based. I suppose it can be similar to those that get Carsick in real life, but as long as you have a Wheel/Joystick for Driving/Flying, and have a cockpit view that gives you the proper feel that you are Inside something, anything that happens as long as the FPS remain solid usually keeps things ok mentally. I will admit that EVE Valkyrie is one "Sim" that really isn't, and because of the unnatural way the ships maneuver, that can make things feel "off" enough to break that initial comfortable setting that it should be. Playing with a Joystick does help however.

Also Project Cars is really good these days (Shadow glitches still withstanding), but I also gave Asseto Corsa a shot and drat did it actually look and seem to be even better than PCARS, I highly recommend VR Racing fans give that a shot if you haven't in a while. I am really glad both games are continuing to get attention, however I would feel that PCARS would peter off a little bit here as PCARS2 is in production and probably will be taking more precedence soon here. Asseto Corsa still has active dev work since they just got it onto Consoles.

I am still wishing that X-Plane got Official VR support sometime soon here, or Microsoft would bring back the Flight Sim team to make a Microsoft Flight Sim VR or something. Those games are great practice for actual flying without the major cost of real flying time lol. I know FSX Has Fly Inside but its still based on an old if good game.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

El Grillo posted:

You don't actually need Unreal to play the thing, I think it is packed with the unreal binaries or whatever. So I don't get why Unreal would've decided I'm 4 metres tall..
e: how is it that the steamvr room setup does nothing at all for this?

I know there's a program that lets you edit the floor (and more, I think). It might be https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4qguq9/updated_yet_again_chaperone_manager_supersampling/ ?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've still only tried Redout in VR as far as racing games go, because playing a sim racing game in VR without me actually having a wheel just seems kinda wrong

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I've still only tried Redout in VR as far as racing games go, because playing a sim racing game in VR without me actually having a wheel just seems kinda wrong

How is redout? I really like future racing games like wipeout and f-zero and playing one in VR seems like a dream come true

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Oh no a silly rich potato man gave money to impotent meanies who said some meanie mean things on THE INTERNET. This means you should deny yourself of cool and good things from a company he USED to own in order to show you are one of the good white peoples. Am I getting this right?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

Oh no a silly rich potato man gave money to impotent meanies who said some meanie mean things on THE INTERNET. This means you should deny yourself of cool and good things from a company he USED to own in order to show you are one of the good white peoples. Am I getting this right?

your only posts in this thread are about this situation, weird alt-right gbs guy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

d0s posted:

How is redout? I really like future racing games like wipeout and f-zero and playing one in VR seems like a dream come true

I have to cop that I haven't played it in a while, and even when it released only briefly because I then had the claws of Path of Exile in me

now it's FFXIV's claws instead, I can't win :v:

But despite that for the time I played Redout is amazingly fun and the sense of speed and WHOASHITTHAT'SALOOPWTF in VR is unmatched for me so far as VR experiences go

There was a bit of iffyness in VR mode though, mostly to do with UI as usual (some indicators like energy being badly placed for easy sight while watching the track, for example). It seems to me like pinning down good UI use and elements is something VR devs are going to struggle with for a while

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 28, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In fact, here, let me quote my post from a few weeks ago

Ciaphas posted:

Okay, reporting back in, quick first impression of VR in Redout:

+++++ The immersiveness, as usual for VR, is indescribable (or indescribably awesome). The sense of speed in this game is unmatched with that thing on
+ Being able to look ahead and "around" corners definitely helps race better, I did categorically worse without being able to do that, especially with how you have to sideslip into and out of the apexes of turns to get a good line
+ Being able to virtually give the asswipe next to you the finger as you race by owns

- Game is way way prettier WITHOUT VR, seems they turn off a lot of post processing when SteamVR is enabled and you can't turn it back on
- UI jankiness mostly due to text readability problems
- Oh lordy loops make me glad I did this on an empty stomach, at least until I get used to that
- No third person camera (or camera switching at all) in VR
-? As usual so far devs can't seem to agree on how the 2D mirror on the monitor should be rendered so have fun recording this

Overall this one's a Winner for us VR Havers purely on the sense of speed, though I note some folks on the internets say that that part feels better on a 2D screen. I say they're nuts, but to each their own with this crazy new technology, I suppose.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

d0s posted:

your only posts in this thread are about this situation, weird alt-right gbs guy

"Man who voted for Obama twice and is abstaining this election is covert alt-right agent (alt-alt-right?!) for not equating dumb fuckin memes with hate crimes and boycotting VR plaything to show he is a good comrade ally."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

obsession w/zoe quinn, totally not an alt-right trait

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787948&userid=53910

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also Vector 36 is also a really good futuristic space racing game that is also fantastic in VR. It is a bit tough at the start with the learning curve on how the ships actually handle, but once you figure out how to balance thrust/lift bias to keep up speed on smooth parts, and not crash into the ground in rough spots, then things start to come together. It really starts to get fun.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Sorry I don't deify a neon haired abuser just because she's the right gender I guess?

Also GBS is dead like disco but good job helldumpin'

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Can we start a new thread that is about VR?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol

Please, tell me more about how it is stupid to boycott a luxury product because an employee did something racist.

e: To be clear, I personally am not boycotting Oculus because of this. I was already boycotting them for other reasons.

BMan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 28, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CapnBry posted:

Can we start a new thread that is about VR?
We already have one its over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777359

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...
Not sure if it hit the thread, but Minecraft announced it would have Oculus Touch support in an update coming on the 18th. This information was later removed from the press release. The baseless speculation is that it's a leak of Touch's release date. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/54i28n/minecraft_october_18th_update_announcement_no/

That seems early, but given that Oculus wants to wash the launch clusterfuck out of everyone's mouth I could see them announcing pre-orders at Connect and shipping units en masse 2 weeks later.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Randomosity posted:

Not sure if it hit the thread, but Minecraft announced it would have Oculus Touch support in an update coming on the 18th. This information was later removed from the press release. The baseless speculation is that it's a leak of Touch's release date. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/54i28n/minecraft_october_18th_update_announcement_no/

That seems early, but given that Oculus wants to wash the launch clusterfuck out of everyone's mouth I could see them announcing pre-orders at Connect and shipping units en masse 2 weeks later.

I dunno, that still seems waaay waaay too early. I would be very surprised if the Touch controllers came out before November at the earliest. I get that they'd want to avoid the long preorder period they tried last time, but I think their strategy is to make sure a ton of games are available all at once and a lot of the ones they've shown more of (the Unspoken etc) indicate a November release.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

BMan posted:

lol

Please, tell me more about how it is stupid to boycott a luxury product because an employee did something racist.

e: To be clear, I personally am not boycotting Oculus because of this. I was already boycotting them for other reasons.

I have no idea why people want to kick the Palmer discussion out of the thread, this stuff is gold.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also Vector 36 is also a really good futuristic space racing game that is also fantastic in VR. It is a bit tough at the start with the learning curve on how the ships actually handle, but once you figure out how to balance thrust/lift bias to keep up speed on smooth parts, and not crash into the ground in rough spots, then things start to come together. It really starts to get fun.

I tried to get into this but I couldn't figure out how to do any upgrades. I would buy a part but it wouldn't let me add it to my ship. It seemed like the racing was just "boost until you almost over heat and then let it cool down then boost again."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Zsinjeh posted:

Have you guys not met sim people? I find quite a lot of the more vocal ones dislike or outright hate VR. I suppose it's because they think they can't use their fancy built plywood setups, but honestly I don't know why

It's because we have 18 billion physical buttons and dials, and it's hard to see them in VR.

But with Vive, it's not really that hard to touch things virtually, either.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's because we have 18 billion physical buttons and dials, and it's hard to see them in VR.

But with Vive, it's not really that hard to touch things virtually, either.

Leap motion would be better than either Vive wands or Touch for that. It's a bummer that Leap motion isn't quite there yet. That's the one thing that sucks about being into such early technology is you can see how things will end up, it's just waiting and hoping we actually manage to get there.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

Leap motion would be better than either Vive wands or Touch for that. It's a bummer that Leap motion isn't quite there yet. That's the one thing that sucks about being into such early technology is you can see how things will end up, it's just waiting and hoping we actually manage to get there.

I disagree with that just because with the leap there's literally no haptic feedback at all. Even with a controller, you can feel whether you've pressed a button, for example. With the leap, you rely 100% on either audio/visual feedback that something happened, so there's a really big disconnect.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also there are a lot of games that you can play with hand controllers without ever looking at your hands, and that just ain't possible with a Leap and will never be as long as you're talking something that's headset mounted.

Both hand controllers and hand tracking are good, for different reasons, and ideally you'd have both.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

I disagree with that just because with the leap there's literally no haptic feedback at all. Even with a controller, you can feel whether you've pressed a button, for example. With the leap, you rely 100% on either audio/visual feedback that something happened, so there's a really big disconnect.

Yeah, I meant more a future fantasy version I can imagine in my mind that combines better finger tracking with a larger FOV and a stretch fabric over the fingers with haptic modules in the fingertips or something along those lines. To me Leap Motion is sorta like VR, it's the pong phase for hand/body tracking, and while we can experience a rudimentary version now for ~$30, it just makes you realize how much further we have to go.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 29, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Once you practice it for a couple minutes, it's quite easy to use a button box with VR. If you can touch type, you can hit one of your nerd buttons without looking.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Something I've thought about--the size of the current Leap Motion camera is tiny, it's like 3.5 inches by 1 inch. Imagine Touch or the Vive wands with a Leap Motion camera built in the loop circle area that does actual finger tracking, along with buttons and feedback. You wouldn't have to worry about FOV since you can only hold the controls a certain way, which solves the current problem with LM and having to look at your hands and it's awful FOV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oculus purchased a company that did something similar to Leap Motion. I thought they were going to add it to touch since they were talking about being able to to gestures. I figured there was a camera in the ring that read finger position, but I guess not. Hopefully they are actually doing something with it though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Oculus purchased a company that did something similar to Leap Motion. I thought they were going to add it to touch since they were talking about being able to to gestures. I figured there was a camera in the ring that read finger position, but I guess not. Hopefully they are actually doing something with it though.

Oh yeah, NimbleVR. I totally forgot about that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh poo poo, is that what caused Nimble America?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Oh poo poo, is that what caused Nimble America?

:doink:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
T3 Magazine says the Vive is the gadget of the year.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/htc-vive-crowned-gadget-year-8933769

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Palmer Luckey invests 10k into Nimble America, thinking it's NimbleVR. A prodigy of modern homeschooling.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
So, Pimax seems to have been out for a while, has there been any reaction to it?
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/27/4k-vr-headset/

Looks like the competition are starting to nip at Oculus and HTC's heels a little. I think it's pretty exciting, personally, as proof of concept. Better clarity, easier setup, at the fraction of the cost? The only drawback being that it's not, uh, usable for longer than 15 minutes and makes you wanna vomit.
But if they iron out the kinks this looks like it could be a great alternative for poors and those who don't care about motion controls, like driving and flight sim people. Why, within a year we might get some cheaper simpler alternatives to "premium" headsets that are actually usable and worth considering.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It's gonna take a lot more than a cheap headset with no positional tracking (which is still important to the cockpit sim folks), lovely optics, and a bad screen (however high-res) to pose any kind of threat to the current players in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
How cool is this augmented reality trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rubrWCtiu5k

I hope it catches on; it's a neat way to add a window to a room without compromising the thermal and sound insulation of a wall (also handy in basements other areas where you might not be able to have a window).