Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe I missed it, but the Axiom stuff was pretty vaguely alluded to and I don't really get what it is. Did it ever get a lore entry or anything? It'd be cool if Stephen and the Tokyo Goddess were part of a multidimensional cabal intended to keep humanity going.

I could be off base but I think the Axiom might be some weird fourth wall thing since they say that the Axiom observe through the eyes of the Messiahs, which I took as the player, dunno though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm fighting my way through the Fiends dungeon and none of them seem particularly interesting to fuse 'n' use so far. Anyone using any of the early ones? Any particular recommended builds for them?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I could be off base but I think the Axiom might be some weird fourth wall thing since they say that the Axiom observe through the eyes of the Messiahs, which I took as the player, dunno though.

Wait is the Axiom what they're calling the Great Will now? The nebulous deiti(es) that chose the messiahs? It's a term that was previously used in MT2, SMT2 and SMT3 where it was a hive mind of deities. This time in the Japanese version, it's hinted at as more of a singular entity but the term was the same.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Wait is the Axiom what they're calling the Great Will now? The nebulous deiti(es) that chose the messiahs? It's a term that was previously used in MT2, SMT2 and SMT3 where it was a hive mind of deities. This time in the Japanese version, it's hinted at as more of a singular entity but the term was the same.

Seems so, I assumed since it was a new term and not the great will, which I know was used in the US release of Nocturne, and I...Think...IV? (could be wrong on this one though) Not sure why it was changed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's definitely the players. It's ppl who achieved Japanese CHIM which is cool

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

For how much Dagda whines about other people just dragging you down, the partner system is really useful compared to SMT4. His whole spiel about being alone would be a lot more effective if partners didn't make the boss fights really easy.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm fighting my way through the Fiends dungeon and none of them seem particularly interesting to fuse 'n' use so far. Anyone using any of the early ones? Any particular recommended builds for them?

I'm using David as my healer/debuffer/status ailment guy and he's doing a great job at it thanks to smile charged soul drains.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do I have to do NG+ for the postgame stuff?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Stuck at camp ichigaya

Got the seal but it's not Strong enough and I feel like I missed some important dialog somewhere

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SylvainMustach posted:

Stuck at camp ichigaya

Got the seal but it's not Strong enough and I feel like I missed some important dialog somewhere

There's another path you can take up/down some stairs and elevators that will get you another seal.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do I have to do NG+ for the postgame stuff?

Only thing that's NG+ only is that you can fuse Lucifer, Merkabah, and Satan. And while all three of those are great, there are other demons that are almost as good.

The only real postgame stuff is the Fiend dungeon, and that only gets really postgame when the final Fiend Dungeon Boss DLC comes out. Once you beat the boss of that DLC, the dungeon resets, all the Fiends are revived, and everything in the dungeon gets a boost to its levels, bosses included. In addition the bosses will start dropping rare items like Affinity Boosters.

You can theoretically reset the Fiend dungeon over and over, but after a couple runs the even the demons in random encounters will be level 400+, so in practice you're not going to be able to do it without abusing the hell out of the level and incense grinding DLC.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Day 6 spoilers ahead. I spoiled myself on the deal with Flynn when you rescue him from the Divinities. So right now as I deal with Merkabah and Lucifer all I want to do is somebody to call out just how creepy and evil Flynn is acting. Hell, the look of ecstasy on his face when Gaston broke the spear of Micheal should have been a signal for everyone that something was up with him.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Can anyone tell me where to find a Mou-Ryo, Google is failing me.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

.Ataraxia. posted:

Can anyone tell me where to find a Mou-Ryo, Google is failing me.

There are two common monsters around that level that can fuse a Mou-Ryo. Itsumade (Raptor lv 22) and Azumi (Brute lv 19). Hope that helps. I don't recall seeing them that often in battles.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Toadsniff posted:

There are two common monsters around that level that can fuse a Mou-Ryo. Itsumade (Raptor lv 22) and Azumi (Brute lv 19). Hope that helps. I don't recall seeing them that often in battles.

Thank you! I should have those in my compendium....

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else finding themselves constantly over-leveled despite not bothering to grind or use the Dlc? I'm generally 5-10 levels stronger than whatever I'm fighting and it's kinda getting old.

Granted I'm fully exploring each area when I can and doing all the sidequests (which feel like way less bullshit, thanks atlus!) but that still seems like a lot

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm 5 levels below the demons in Kinshicho @ 3/8 moon. But I do a lot of scouting demons that I already have to avoid over leveling.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I've been pretty much directly on level with the most recent story place all game, but I'm only on 3/8 and I abuse Estoma a lot.
And let me tell you, it is INFURIATING the way all the Partners complain about the enemies being too strong when you're usually clearing them out in one turn.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain France posted:

I've been pretty much directly on level with the most recent story place all game, but I'm only on 3/8 and I abuse Estoma a lot.
And let me tell you, it is INFURIATING the way all the Partners complain about the enemies being too strong when you're usually clearing them out in one turn.

It's weird cause it doesn't even seem to be level based. they'll complain even if you're a little above the average area level

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain France posted:

I have to say I don't remember this happening at all, and I've spent the whole game at or a few levels below the demons.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm not sure what triggers the "too strong" message but it plays after every single battle the entire game for me. The demons I kill in one hit with charge+hades blast are apparently terrifying to Asahi.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Is there some way to break whatever xp requirement curving seems to be going on for demons? My Medusa has been lagging about 10 levels behind everything else I've got, and if I'm going to have to tome her up I might as well recycle her and build a new one in post game.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

CommunityEdition posted:

Is there some way to break whatever xp requirement curving seems to be going on for demons? My Medusa has been lagging about 10 levels behind everything else I've got, and if I'm going to have to tome her up I might as well recycle her and build a new one in post game.
You really don't want to play favoritism with demons in SMT unless you have the DLC to farm level ups.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yeah, like, I keep a favorite slapped to my DDS card, but using it for actual combat? Nah.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

BipolarAurora posted:

You really don't want to play favoritism with demons in SMT unless you have the DLC to farm level ups.

Fair enough. I'd always figured people said that because of the progression in skills but this'd certainly be a compelling reason too.

On a side note, I'm really starting to miss the compendium lock feature. War is Hell on my wallet if I want to do any sort of fancy fusion chain.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One last thing I didn't quite get: what's the symbolism behind YHVH's second form? I get the locust, but the rest is lost on me.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

BipolarAurora posted:

Sorry but Yatagarasu and I are headed to the top of the bonus dungeon together.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

And hell I was still using Ouroboros on the final boss of the neutral route in Strange Journey.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So what exactly did giving the fishing hook to Flynn do? I didn't really notice anything

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

CommunityEdition posted:

Fair enough. I'd always figured people said that because of the progression in skills but this'd certainly be a compelling reason too.

On a side note, I'm really starting to miss the compendium lock feature. War is Hell on my wallet if I want to do any sort of fancy fusion chain.

You can drop it to Conflict any time you want for normal prices.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Genpei Turtle posted:

Navarre

Navarre was rescued by Flynn in SMTIV and brought to Tokyo. Shortly thereafter, his corpse was found floating in the river. Now he's a ghost. Most of the other characters can't see him, and those that do dunk on him constantly.
lol holy poo poo.

i put a bunch of time into smt4 i should pick this up sometime

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I was thinking of a way to somehow make a Halphas have all the good support buffs since I love that dapper bird.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Do the drain skills use any particular stat to get better? I only have 12 Ma but I just got Energy Drain and at level 39 I can pull about 65-70 HP and 20ish MP, which seems really good already.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Armor-Piercing posted:

Do the drain skills use any particular stat to get better? I only have 12 Ma but I just got Energy Drain and at level 39 I can pull about 65-70 HP and 20ish MP, which seems really good already.

My magic is about 45 and it does like high 50s MP recovery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

At high levels you drain like 500 HP and 100 MP

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So what exactly did giving the fishing hook to Flynn do? I didn't really notice anything

On the Friendship route, it powers him up in the last dungeon in terms of how he helps you out. Like the way he will extort extra cash from demons when you do.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Genpei Turtle posted:

On the Friendship route, it powers him up in the last dungeon in terms of how he helps you out. Like the way he will extort extra cash from demons when you do.

Very nice.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Going against the friendship route seems really awkward, I assume like in most SMT games not much changes before the decision so you still have these people hanging around even if you call them idiots and choose the "leave them to die" options and stuff. all game spoilers: Like does Halleujah side with Abe if you were a shithead and tell him to gently caress off, does Gaston still make his heroic save becasue he believes in you in Mikado? DO those scenes change at all? With how cruel you can be it seems really odd for them to stick to you like glue, unless those are fake choices and something stops you if you try to choose them

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 29, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Marogareh posted:

I was thinking of a way to somehow make a Halphas have all the good support buffs since I love that dapper bird.

He's one of my favorites, I still haven't let go of my Taru/Raku/Sukukaja one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I beat the final boss with a Demonee-ho because someone from that line was coming with me to beat up a god.

• Locked thread