Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Francis Drake by Eagle-Gryphon is kind of worker placement. The first half of the game involves collecting supplies in a method like Tokaido where you're moving along a linear track and each station can only hold one or two players in a sort of diminishing returns item collection. Then you take your ship and use it to claim spaces on a map which results in a sort of hidden drafting mechanic (you know what people are taking, but you don't know in what order they're taking it).

It wasn't bad. Kind of overproduced and a little long from what I remember but I wouldn't mind playing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Momotaros posted:

Any tips/overlooked rules to remember for beginners on Blood Rage? I played a 2 player game over the weekend with my buddy and the score gap was pretty huge (about 40 points). I pillaged most of the game uncontested while he focused on ragnoroking his units off the board and completing missions, because of that, I was able to max out all of my stats for points. We both agreed that it was a fun game, but maybe required a 3rd player to prevent a blowout like that...

Some overlooked rules from my group:

If you have 0 Rage, you can't take any actions at all, even if the action would be free.

Remember that a lower player count means fewer cards and more areas destroyed at the start of the game.

In two-player games, you draft two cards at once.

Double-check before summoning a unit that your figures don't exceed your limit.

Pillaging totally uncontested is not a victory. You still get the area bonus but you don't get any victory points.

Also, only the player who decided to pillage can win the bonus. If another player wins the fight, they get the points but not the bonus.

The losers in a fight take their cards back into their hand.

Upgrading a figure immediately allows you to invade for free with it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kashuno posted:

Are there any pirate themed worker placement games?

...maybe Madeira?

It's more "pirate-featuring" than "pirate-themed", though.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Is there any resources to know when a game will be back in print? I was looking to get Marco Polo after a bit of praise in this thread but it is sold out everywhere I have looked. Not sure if I should wait or just get something else for now.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Unknownmass posted:

Is there any resources to know when a game will be back in print? I was looking to get Marco Polo after a bit of praise in this thread but it is sold out everywhere I have looked. Not sure if I should wait or just get something else for now.

Looking on BGG is about as organised as it gets on that front.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Ate there any games about fighting a large monster? Like shadow of the colossus the board game kind of thing?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Ate there any games about fighting a large monster? Like shadow of the colossus the board game kind of thing?

Some dude on here is developing one. I think he has a print-n-play for it. Check the design workshop thread.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Unknownmass posted:

It's language independent. Print out some english rules and go hog wild: https://www.amazon.de/Spuren-Marco-Polo-German-Version/dp/B00QX7UJUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475019042&sr=8-1&keywords=voyages+of+marco+polo

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I just played my first game of Through the Ages. Period. Online on boardgaming-online.

Phew. That game can get away from you quick. One moment you're riding high with King Genghis Khan bullying the hell out of his neigbhors, the next King Bill Gates is looking around at your outdated victorian nonsense while you're constantly getting bombarded by your opera-loving, Charlie-Chaplin worshipping neighbor and asking himself what he did to be born into this backwater hell.

I kind of love it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Some dude on here is developing one. I think he has a print-n-play for it. Check the design workshop thread.

I know! It's what prompted me to wonder if it's been done before. Sounds like a fun idea.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Unknownmass posted:

Was looking for a copy myself as well and was gonna try order at this store but i'll probably just wait fro the next reprint as I just used my gaming budget this month. Hoping they fix the issue of the resource sizes to be more noticeable, but i doubt it.
https://www.topshelfgamer.com/collections/the-voyages-of-marco-polo/products/the-voyages-of-marco-polo

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just got Imperial Assault. Are the expansions and ally/villain packs worth it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How similar are Letters from Whitechapel and Fury of Draculas?

bean mug
Nov 11, 2011

you think you can just say things to me?
Since some of you suggested it as a great 2 player game, I picked up Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small! I was worried because it seems like it might be out of print (couldn't find it anywhere online) but I luckily found a lone copy in not-so-local game store. So, question: are the expansions for this game worth it? The only one I can find online is the 2nd expansion, but I'm wondering if I should pounce on the 1st expansion if I find it anywhere in person.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

bean mug posted:

Since some of you suggested it as a great 2 player game, I picked up Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small! I was worried because it seems like it might be out of print (couldn't find it anywhere online) but I luckily found a lone copy in not-so-local game store. So, question: are the expansions for this game worth it? The only one I can find online is the 2nd expansion, but I'm wondering if I should pounce on the 1st expansion if I find it anywhere in person.

Both expansions just add some variety to the game in the form of new buildings that offer new strategies. If you enjoy the base game, picking one or both up will greatly enhance the longevity. I couldn't find the first one in print a while back which is supposedly the better of the two, but the second one seems solid to me.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

SynthOrange posted:

How similar are Letters from Whitechapel and Fury of Draculas?

Pretty close, I think the tension is very very similar. If I had a choice, I'd probably play letters because it's more to the point. If you want some more unpredictability (possibly to the point of bullshit) then I'd go Dracula. To clarify, letters drives the suspense up to a very strict goal, that of capturing jack or finding his hideout which naturally you hone in on as the game drives to a close. Dracula there's no garauntee that any part of the game will be as suspenseful as the rest, and can maybe be boring for the hunters if they keep just passing by him until he wins

Dracula would be better if you have more than 2 imo

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I got an on-sale copy of La Havre at a local store and am in love. A special card will drop and radically change strategies and I get to amass all these tokens. I've only played solo but I know my Euro-loving friend will be into it. The only thing is that I wish it lasted longer. I want some slim chance to buy all the boats and stick all the francs in my ear. Is there a variant to go past seven rounds? Is thee another game that will let me build up a little business/empire further than La Harve allows?

I get why it's seven rounds and it seems insane to want more but I have a need for more.

Also, I've been playing the LOTR LCG and I suck balls. Monsters that I have nobody to defend on the first turn, a hand full of cards that seem useless (the one that untaps an ally seems a bit specific) What am I doing wrong. Core-set only, played leadership and lore base decks. The theme is great and my fiancee is an LOTR geek so it seems like a way to get her into deckbuilding but I just can't figure out what strategies to have at all.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a war game that's good intro to the genre? Something online or on my phone would be cool.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I got an on-sale copy of La Havre at a local store and am in love. A special card will drop and radically change strategies and I get to amass all these tokens. I've only played solo but I know my Euro-loving friend will be into it. The only thing is that I wish it lasted longer. I want some slim chance to buy all the boats and stick all the francs in my ear. Is there a variant to go past seven rounds? Is thee another game that will let me build up a little business/empire further than La Harve allows?

I get why it's seven rounds and it seems insane to want more but I have a need for more.

Also, I've been playing the LOTR LCG and I suck balls. Monsters that I have nobody to defend on the first turn, a hand full of cards that seem useless (the one that untaps an ally seems a bit specific) What am I doing wrong. Core-set only, played leadership and lore base decks. The theme is great and my fiancee is an LOTR geek so it seems like a way to get her into deckbuilding but I just can't figure out what strategies to have at all.

Someone else is gonna say this also, but check out Beorn's Path for some really good core set deckbuilding and scenario tips: https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/beorns-path-part-1-core-set-deck-building/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a war game that's good intro to the genre? Something online or on my phone would be cool.
Battle of the Bulge isn't too bad. Unity of Command is also pretty good.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

There's an LCG thread here, it divides about evenly between LOTR and AGOT discussion, you'll find more specific help there.

Definitely check out the above linked Beorn's Path post for good general starting advice, especially to the thought process of constructing a deck.

To your specific questions, the starting decks aren't great, and some core set cards are weak and/or overcosted. If you're stuck without defenders early you might be committing too much to the quest. Failing to progress and increasing your threat by 2 or 3 can be better than taking a lot of damage undefended on a hero. Ever Vigilant isn't the best example but action advantage cards (ones that let character take multiple actions in a turn) are often some of the most powerful in the game. If you're Leadership and your fiancee is Lore, you could play it on her Henamarth Riversong mid turn, allowing her to see the top card coming in the quest phase, and the first shadow card in combat.

*standard disclaimer to triple check you're playing the rules right. Active locations and engaged enemies don't contribute their threat to the staging area, cards that say "character" affect Heroes and Allies, etc*

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Rings.com also has some great deck lists that can help you with some ideas. This looks great using one core http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/951/back-to-basics-a-killer-deck-using-cards-from-1-core-set-1.0

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Battle of the Bulge isn't too bad. Unity of Command is also pretty good.

Yeah if you're looking for PC wargames Unity of Command is a fantastic choice, and one that will help you get board wargames more too. It's simple, fast, and easy to understand; there's a full rulebook included with the game that tells you how pretty much everything works under the hood. (Also the Russian DLC is a whole lot of fun.)

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

radlum posted:

Just got Imperial Assault. Are the expansions and ally/villain packs worth it?

all of them are great except the Stormtrooper pack, which the troops are redundant and the only unique thing that comes with is some agenda cards that are not worth it and rules for a skirmish mission that isn't fun.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I haven't tried it yet but Terraforming Mars has a 14 round solo variant and is all about powering up your economic engine while trying to meet certain criteria. The only other game I can think of that is like Le Havre specifically is Ora et Labora, it showers you with even more chits and resources than Le Havre and has an interesting spatial element. From what I remember of the solo game it lasts a good number of rounds and gives you plenty of time to get a lot done.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
More LOTR chat, there's an "easy mode" rules variant on FFGs site that removes some of the nastiest enemies and gives you more starting resources.
There's no shame in doing that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

canyoneer posted:

More LOTR chat, there's an "easy mode" rules variant on FFGs site that removes some of the nastiest enemies and gives you more starting resources.
There's no shame in doing that.

True LOTR players solo every quest. Yes, even Escape from Dol Guldur and Return to Mirkwood. :colbert: :suicide:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

EBag posted:

I haven't tried it yet but Terraforming Mars has a 14 round solo variant and is all about powering up your economic engine while trying to meet certain criteria. The only other game I can think of that is like Le Havre specifically is Ora et Labora, it showers you with even more chits and resources than Le Havre and has an interesting spatial element. From what I remember of the solo game it lasts a good number of rounds and gives you plenty of time to get a lot done.

If you can find it/are willing to shell out for it, Roads and Boats is resource conversion on crack, but also with ways to completely destroy your opponent's supply chain or at least severely inconvenience them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

solo [...] Dol Guldur

I'm perfectly happy not being a true LOTR player then.

Unless playing two handed solo counts

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
#DOMINIONCHAT: If you use the Training Event to put your +1$ token on the Crown pile, and you use a Crown to play a Crown, how many $ do you have? Does this value change if you are using the Crown during the Action or Buy phases?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Toshimo posted:

#DOMINIONCHAT: If you use the Training Event to put your +1$ token on the Crown pile, and you use a Crown to play a Crown, how many $ do you have? Does this value change if you are using the Crown during the Action or Buy phases?

3, and no.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One of the things I like about The Great Zimbabwe is the palpable "gear shift" in the gameplay. I like games where there is a shift part way though the game and things that were (for example) good at the beginning become bad or inefficient as you approach the end, and so forth. When to shift your approach is a decision every player has to make. In TGZ, cattle (currency) is scarce at the beginning of the game, but becomes more plentiful as the game goes on. How many cattle you have becomes less important than turn order - which is itself something not as important in the beginning of the game.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Dear thread, I'm looking for a cooperative-type adventure game, in the vein of legends of andor, except in sci-fi space exploration. What game would you recommend.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Dear thread, I'm looking for a cooperative-type adventure game, in the vein of legends of andor, except in sci-fi space exploration. What game would you recommend.

What mechanics from other games have you enjoyed?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of co-ops (but not a recommendation for Ka0; as this is not sci-fi):

Dreamlands expansion for Eldritch Horror announced

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 29, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Harvey Mantaco posted:

What mechanics from other games have you enjoyed?

Anything. My only requisites are that it can be played with over 4 or 6 people, with clear goal-oriented objectives and that it places importance in comunication skills and diplomacy rather than luck. If the game extends for hours at a time is of no inconvenience.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

bean mug posted:

If you want to play the game more than a half-dozen or so times, an expansion is more or less essential. Otherwise, setup is exactly the same each time and with the limited options available the game becomes formulaic.

It doesn't really matter which expansion you get as they both do exactly the same thing, but I would definitely get at least one if you like the base game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I know questions like this have come up before but I'll be damned if I can find the responding posts. Other than Skull what are some good games for non-gamers that don't have a big learning curve and will likely be a hit with a group of diverse people. I'm debating whether or not Coup or the Resistance would be a good idea as they can get heated and drunks can't always follow the games logic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Indolent Bastard posted:

I know questions like this have come up before but I'll be damned if I can find the responding posts. Other than Skull what are some good games for non-gamers that don't have a big learning curve and will likely be a hit with a group of diverse people. I'm debating whether or not Coup or the Resistance would be a good idea as they can get heated and drunks can't always follow the games logic.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf is perfect for that type of group. It's always been a big hit for gamers and non-gamers alike for me. Rounds last 5 minutes and people will continually say "just one more". Sure as hell beats CaH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Codenames/Codenames Pictures, Pictomania, Click Clack Lumberjack