Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I don't think I'm really digging this season's gimmick, if only for the reason that we already know what won't happen. Matt, Shelby and Lee won't die by the end of it. Kind of takes away any tension knowing the three mains aren't in any danger unless they go the "revisit the house in a special episode of My Roanoke Nightmare" route.

I think the Falchuckster and Murphdog definitely don't feel bound by typical things like "realism" and "sticking with plot conventions", so I wouldn't be surprised to see them kill off a talking head that we've been interacting with for the past few episodes, or for there to be some mega-twist where everyone was dead the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I just watched the first two episodes, and I really don't like how they're falling into the Paranormal Activity trap of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p74M2NaX08

It's like a scary thing happens and they're all very spookified but then it'll be light out or something normal will happen and they'll just immediately forget about the legitimately terrifyng thing that they just experienced.

Like just get the gently caress out. $40k is a fair amount of money, but it sounds like they bought the house outright, so just cut your losses and leave. You're not obligated to stay there. Go literally anywhere else. Stay at your sister's house, rent a cheapass apartment in a reasonably sized city somewhere. He travels for work and she's currently unemployed, so there's nothing tying them there. Just loving leave and sell the property remotely, who cares.

The tape of the cellar guy reminded me of that reddit story of the guy living in a bunker on a property he sold.

10 Beers posted:

Also, "We found the most beautiful old farmhouses. It had three bedrooms..." Holy poo poo, that house is huge for only having 3 bedrooms. I've been in a fair few farmhouses like that, and none of them have ever had just 3 bedrooms.

This also broke my immersion. That house is gigantic, there's no way it's only 3 bedrooms, even by modern definitions of bedrooms. There's gotta be like 5 minimum.

Overall I'm liking the season and I don't mind the framing. It's much better than overacted mishmash of camp that was everything from Coven onward, even if they are doing a bad job justifying why they are tolerating this bullshit.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CynCyanide posted:

Did you know there are officially licensed Halloween costumes for AHS? I don't remember what "Bloody Face Mask" is supposed to be. Something from Asylum?.

Looks close but all those items looked like they were made as cheaply as possible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

gingersmurf posted:

I am enjoying this year so far. I like the whole haunted house kind of genre. That said, after I saw the season premier, I then watched an old episode of My Haunted House. Season 3, Episode 14, to be precise. The episode had two stories. The first story? Couple moves out to the country on some acreage and one of the first scenes, the wife is in the outdoor hot tub away from the house with a glass of wine when she gets pushed beneath the water. The second story? A black woman who is a recovering alcoholic moves into a haunted house and is taunted with liquor flasks.

Maybe if I watch more My Haunted House, I will know how this season of American Horror Plagiarized Story: Murde turns out.

So I looked this up and holy poo poo, you're right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRAOiCZh2RA

It even has an interracial couple and mysterious figures with torches marching solemnly toward the house out of the woods.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is there a TV-IV-ier complaint about a television show than complaining about how many bedrooms a fake house has?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there a TV-IV-ier complaint about a television show than complaining about how many bedrooms a fake house has?

What?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

chitoryu12 posted:

It even has an interracial couple and mysterious figures with torches marching solemnly toward the house out of the woods.

Also there's the obvious titling convention of "My _______ ________".

Asiina posted:

Overall I'm liking the season and I don't mind the framing. It's much better than overacted mishmash of camp that was everything from Coven onward, even if they are doing a bad job justifying why they are tolerating this bullshit.

We're only two episodes in, we still have 8 more episodes for the show to get really gay and goofy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BJPaskoff posted:

The layout of horror movie buildings is serious loving business.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRAOiCZh2RA

Plus, I think that episode of My Haunted House is well over a year old. At least if Murphy/Falchuk plagiarized this season, the writing is bound to be better than their usual.

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006
The size of the house and it only being 3 bedrooms could be due to the time period that it's from. There would be dressing areas, sitting rooms, a parlor, and whatever else rich people poo poo they could come up with.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Toothbrush posted:

The size of the house and it only being 3 bedrooms could be due to the time period that it's from.

Nah, it's just because it's a dumb TV show and the creators don't feel the need to have to explain pointless extraneous details like the sperglords watching do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CynCyanide posted:

Did you know there are officially licensed Halloween costumes for AHS? I don't remember what "Bloody Face Mask" is supposed to be. Something from Asylum?.

Bloody Face Mask belonged to the serial killer/psychiatrist. He made it out of bits of his victims. He also had a lampshade made of human skin and a bowl made from the top of a skull. Dude did a lot of arts and crafts.

In the modern portion where that couple is visiting the long-abandoned asylum and get tormented by pranksters, and the pranksters themselves are then killed by Son of Bloodyface, they were wearing fake Bloodyface masks too? Just like the ones now for sale. Spooky.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey y'all TV reviews are unreliable as hell I find so I thought I'd ask here. I loved Hotel bbut thought Freakshow was the worst bullshit yet. How's this season shaping up? Should I hop aboard?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

Hey y'all TV reviews are unreliable as hell I find so I thought I'd ask here. I loved Hotel bbut thought Freakshow was the worst bullshit yet. How's this season shaping up? Should I hop aboard?

It's really different from the last few seasons. So far the horror is really understated and plagiarized from an episode of My Haunted House, but it's got a weird framing device where you're supposedly watching an episode of a documentary series with narration and cutaways to the "real victims", with the actual horror content being a "dramatic reenactment" with different actors. Basically exactly like My Haunted House if you've ever seen that.

There's been hints dropped of big twists and connections to the other seasons though, so I fully expect it to go batshit at some point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Calico Heart posted:

Seems like simple story so far, but you know they can completely jump off the rails on any notice and descent into garbage.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ryan Murphy says the twist hits in episode 6. It's promised to totally change what show we're watching, which makes me expect it to be either really clever or AHS descending into madness like usual.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Calico Heart posted:

It's only 2 episodes in, but so far I like it better than freakshow. As others mentioned they have messed with the format a bit this time, not sure if that is going to turn out cool or annoying in the long run.

So far it doesn't have the very stylized visuals of Hotel or Coven. The people look like people you might see in your town. The house is a bit grand for a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, but not obnoxiously so.

It is doing better at "spooky horror stuff" than usual. It really does seem more like a horror story than a "look at beautiful people swan around" story, which is an interesting change.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

chitoryu12 posted:

Ryan Murphy says the twist hits in episode 6. It's promised to totally change what show we're watching, which makes me expect it to be either really clever or AHS descending into madness like usual.

I vote madness.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
What. The gently caress. Was that.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ambellina posted:

Just a couple a youngin's tryin ta get their daily dose of vitamin D is all

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Ambellina posted:

Well, you see, that was... was...

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
What did the boys say? I didn't hear it right.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

KIT HAGS posted:

What did the boys say? I didn't hear it right.

I assumed it was CROATOAN but I'm not sure.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CannedMacabre posted:

I assumed it was CROATOAN but I'm not sure.

Same, couldn't quite understand but it makes perfect sense

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatan

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Oh I love him!

EDIT: Leslie Jordan

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I wasn't called over AT&T or anything like that :sparkles:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm...actually enjoying AHS right now???

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

That's certainly a... hairdo.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Getting into some classic AHS now.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
One part Tangina one part Gary Spivey.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Cricket's Andy Warhol wig isn't flattering, but I kinda like the guy. Think he's going to die horribly?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CynCyanide posted:

Cricket's Andy Warhol wig isn't flattering, but I kinda like the guy. Think he's going to die horribly?

That is cricket? I thought it was Danny DiVito's wig from Its always sunny!

Holy poo poo these people really should kept the lights on in their haunted murder house.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 29, 2016

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Holy poo poo these people really should kept the lights on in their haunted murder house.

Yeah, I don't know why they're always wandering around the murde house with no lights.

This episode is good. This season is good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So everyone knows the story of Roanoke but are completely mystified by the word Croatoan? How does that work?

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Gaga!!!!

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
When Lady Gaga hands you a beating heart, you eat that poo poo.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Okay but where the gently caress is Evan peters?

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

KIT HAGS posted:

Okay but where the gently caress is Evan peters?

I've been wondering this since episode one. Just waiting here for him to show up.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I had a feeling that once we got to see less of the main 3 and more of the bonkers poo poo in the woods that this season would get much better

So far so good...

e: I'm afraid Evan Peters may have been relegated to a minor role like Lily Rabe in S4 but I sure hope that's not the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Now that we've seen the show crew interact with the mains, I wonder if Evan Peters will show up as a producer or director or something.

• Locked thread