Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

taco show posted:

Oktoberfest bound! Hopefully everything doesn't horrendously flood this weekend. I want to pick up some rain gear (that I can maybe ditch)- is there a Target equivalent?

Lidl should have what you need.

Just got home from Munich last night. Spent 11-ish hours in the Hacker-Pschorr tent and had 7+ liters of beer. Oktoerfest is awesome, the Nurburgring is awesome, the Stelvio pass is awesome, the Ferrari museum is awesome, everything is awesome!

Except for this jetlag, hangovers, and traffic in Bologna. All of those are not awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

Lidl should have what you need.

Just got home from Munich last night. Spent 11-ish hours in the Hacker-Pschorr tent and had 7+ liters of beer. Oktoerfest is awesome, the Nurburgring is awesome, the Stelvio pass is awesome, the Ferrari museum is awesome, everything is awesome!

Except for this jetlag, hangovers, and traffic in Bologna. All of those are not awesome.

I can confirm that spending many hours in a tent and drinking far too many liters of beer does in fact own.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

what's the toilet situation at those things?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

what's the toilet situation at those things?

Men's room was pretty much troughs with a few stalls, and not enough sinks.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Whats the payment situation in the tent? Cash as you go? Run a tab? I need to plan ahead to properly finance my boozahol and snack habit.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

FunOne posted:

Whats the payment situation in the tent? Cash as you go? Run a tab? I need to plan ahead to properly finance my boozahol and snack habit.

Pay as you go.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well, uh, ignore my bitching about Global Entry scheduling. Got a walk in appointment the same week I was conditionally approved.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

MickeyFinn posted:

Pay as you go.

Cash only I assume. Gonna have to hit that ATM.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

FunOne posted:

I have never tried anything but cash. The beer ladies can easily get you change, but it helps to heve 5s and 10s because 4-5 liters in you might forget!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

FunOne posted:

Yeah, cash only unless that changed just this year.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, cash only unless that changed just this year.

Both tents I went to were cash only, but there were at least 2 ATMs in each of them.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

If there are still Oktoberfest bound goons, pay the four euros to go watch/participate in the devil's wheel.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Holy gently caress Lisbon is the worst airport I've ever flown international out of. There are no less than FOUR security checkpoints, including one at the gate where they may disassemble your carry on before they let you into the roped off seating area. If you leave the gate to go to the bathroom or anything you have to do it again.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

taco show posted:

Holy gently caress Lisbon is the worst airport I've ever flown international out of. There are no less than FOUR security checkpoints, including one at the gate where they may disassemble your carry on before they let you into the roped off seating area. If you leave the gate to go to the bathroom or anything you have to do it again.

Where are you headed? I've only arrived into LIS and it was a Schengen flight but I walked through the departure areas and didn't see anything like that.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Mackieman posted:

Where are you headed? I've only arrived into LIS and it was a Schengen flight but I walked through the departure areas and didn't see anything like that.
I was going to PHL on an AA flight out of terminal 1 gate 47. They actually made us all leave the gate area to check everyone's tickets before letting us back in.

Unfortunately it cancelled, so I had to exit security and go through immigration to get my bag then wait two hours outside for the BA bag check to open to get my new ticket (no BA ticket kiosks or permanent AA/BA desk), recheck my bag, and re-enter security.

:sigh:
If only I hadn't bought those bottles of port!

Anyway, I'm in the nice departure shopping area now, at least. I'll have to go through another passport check to get to the 40s wing, if that's where they post my gate...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Waiting for my united flight, there was just an announcement that the galaxy note 7 specifically needs to be turned off and not used or plugged in during the flight. Any idea why?

Edit: it's because they were recalled.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 26, 2016

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KillHour posted:

Waiting for my united flight, there was just an announcement that the galaxy note 7 specifically needs to be turned off and not used or plugged in during the flight. Any idea why?

Edit: it's because they were recalled.

Yeah, they have been announcing it for a few weeks now

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Effective recall communication in action :haw:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I mean to be fair, you drat near have to be living under a rock to not have heard about it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of dumb questions, is there anything you have to do to get upgraded if you're Avis preferred plus? I haven't noticed any difference in the cars I get assigned.

It's dumb as poo poo that you can't actually get into the upper tiers of their program without buying into a private jet timeshare company or whatever.

Noctone posted:

I mean to be fair, you drat near have to be living under a rock to not have heard about it.

I heard about it weeks ago and promptly forgot since I don't own one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I didn't realize at first that they allowed you to carry it on as long as it is powered off. Thought you just couldn't fly with a new flagship phone period, which would be super rough.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Everyone now carries around computers in their pocket, and sure sometimes the energy management on the batteries isn't perfect and they explode. This is understandable, so naturally we built in a way to remotely brick a person's computer against their will since most people probably won't hear or care about the recall, and this is a good thing because people could get seriously hurt or even bring down a plane otherwise.

The future is loving weird.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

so naturally we built in a way to remotely brick a person's computer against their will since most people probably won't hear or care about the recall, and this is a good thing because people could get seriously hurt or even bring down a plane otherwise.

The future is loving weird.

To be fair, Samsung refuted the remote deactivation reports (loving reddit).

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Flew American Eagle this week, it actually made me miss flying Southwest. Also the Terminal 6 situation at LAX is super inconvenient. You have to go to Terminal 4 first, go downstairs, and wait for a bus to take you across the tarmac to another building.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's not t6, that's eagles nest. You can check in T6 if you please.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

sellouts posted:

That's not t6, that's eagles nest. You can check in T6 if you please.

look, even Trump last night said LAX was poo poo. Since I'm single issue voter who only cares about regional airport quality and how it affects me directly, he has my vote :agesilaus:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

nikosoft posted:

look, even Trump last night said LAX was poo poo. Since I'm single issue voter who only cares about regional airport quality and how it affects me directly, he has my vote :agesilaus:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
For the weekly travelers, how often do you request a week at home? Once a month? Once every two months?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

fyallm posted:

For the weekly travelers, how often do you request a week at home? Once a month? Once every two months?

Hahaha, request?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TheWevel posted:

Hahaha, request?

LoL, sorry... demand, require, get. Whatever you want to call it

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I don't, I just don't happen to have any visits that particular week, or I take paid time off. I get to make my schedule though and it all depends on when I can schedule sites for visits, so I just schedule whenever I feel like it. Which is to say, when it is most convenient for me. Feels good, man.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

fyallm posted:

When I was single, never. Now, about every 2 months.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

FAILURE posted:

When I was single, never. Now, about every 2 months.

Same

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a week a month booked in my schedule. I get that roughly half the time.

In other news, I was approved for a CSR card. No more waiting in lovely airport food courts for me!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Need to fly to Montreal next month. All of the best, quickest, and cheapest routings are on Star Alliance (AC flies direct LAX-YUL) but I'm seriously considering flying convoluted and long two-stop flights on AA because I'm 3k miles short of requalifying for AA platinum status.

This is crazy right

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

Need to fly to Montreal next month. All of the best, quickest, and cheapest routings are on Star Alliance (AC flies direct LAX-YUL) but I'm seriously considering flying convoluted and long two-stop flights on AA because I'm 3k miles short of requalifying for AA platinum status.

This is crazy right

Depends on how tight your travel schedule is.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Done traveling for the year. Finished strong with almost 60k miles flown in the last 10 weeks. Sadly my travel is spread out enough that I have no status higher than Gold with any hotel or airline. So I guess I'll be keeping my Amex Plat for another year for the lounge access alone.

I did hit 2 of the 3 tiers in that United targeted promotion, thanks for the 30K free reward miles, United!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mandalay posted:

This is crazy right

Are you not going to get your status otherwise?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you not going to get your status otherwise?

Barring unexpected extra travel. I've spreadsheeted out my travel plans tail end of year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Barring unexpected extra travel. I've spreadsheeted out my travel plans tail end of year...

You have no idea how jealous I am of your ability to do that. I often don't know where I will be a few days in the future. Sometimes I get less than a day's notice for international trips.