Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Disasters in a city sim that simulated anything other than traffic could be cool, the disasters could actually mesh with the gameplay, preparing for and reacting to disasters could actually present interesting choices. But it's a traffic sim with instant-building and essentially limitless money. A disaster has hit, I guess I gotta re-build that interchange I spent 30 min building? Good thing I plopped these new emergency buildings down with air units so they can take care of some new problems the game added so that the air units have something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So what is it people want from this game if not scenarios? A more challenging budget simulation? Mayoral elections? Deeper simulation of goods and services?

I remember SimCity attempted some of this latter gameification (With the manufacturing that utilized primary goods to make better goods, increasing tax income) but the main game was so poo poo and small scale it was hardly worth it. To be honest though, I don't really remember SC2K being particularly difficult. Maybe the SNES version of SimCity? I was a kid then so my perception might be skewed.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This game objectively has less meaningful simulations than almost any SimCity game (not counting the last turd.) People wanting more want it to at least be as deep as older games have been. It's also been discussed to death in this thread, in great detail.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They have a very nice traffic simulation but little fine detail or reward for efficient managament of it. If they expanded the detail you could put into your roads/traffic mangement that would make a detailed game.

Economically there is no challenge to the game and any sort of game there would be an improvement, even if it's just OTTD "get x to y and get money"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

JVNO posted:

So what is it people want from this game if not scenarios? A more challenging budget simulation? Mayoral elections? Deeper simulation of goods and services?

I remember SimCity attempted some of this latter gameification (With the manufacturing that utilized primary goods to make better goods, increasing tax income) but the main game was so poo poo and small scale it was hardly worth it. To be honest though, I don't really remember SC2K being particularly difficult. Maybe the SNES version of SimCity? I was a kid then so my perception might be skewed.
Scenarios are putting the cart before the horse because there's really no wrong way to play the city budget game as long as traffic moves. Setting goals like income or education or whatever is a bit of a foregone conclusion when there's no resistance to increased industry or offices, and no resistance to education. You put the schools anywhere and people get educated as fast as they can. You put the industry anywhere near a highway and where it can't choke residential and you get taxes, if you don't just pave the city in offices.

Disasters are similarly head scratching. So a meteor hit the town making a bit of it unbuildable. Doesn't matter, you just rebuild whatever got blown up 1 mile south and its indistinguishable.

SC2k and SC4 weren't really hard, but they had feedback loops with education, crime, and unemployment that could create ghettos and give spatial meaning to your city. Then scenarios and disasters make more sense. Can you rejuvenate this city? What happens when a disaster takes out your ivory tower and you are trying to make ends meet from taxes on the ghetto? What happens if a disaster takes out industry? Cam you rebuild your industry faster than a death spiral of despair creates ghettos?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm quite happy with the "game" being more of a canvas than a game. Sometimes I just want to make a pretty looking city.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

JVNO posted:

So what is it people want from this game if not scenarios?

3D Simcity 4.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SwissCM posted:

I'm quite happy with the "game" being more of a canvas than a game. Sometimes I just want to make a pretty looking city.

This. I'm totally cool with it just being a sandbox so I wish they'd focus on stuff that makes my city look cool and adds to the transit simulation. What I really wish they would do is incorporate stuff from the dozen or so basically mandatory mods (sharp angles, some of the train/transit stuff, etc.). Mods are fine but it would be less janky if I could do more cool poo poo with the base game.

Also I'd love if they added sunken freeways/rails. They look so cool and are a total pain in the rear end with mods.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It has the same problems being a sandbox city draw game as it does being a city sim. It's shallow. I would love it to be either one, but not kind of half assing both. Bridges are atrocious. The professional dev team is being outclassed by mod makers with the building selection. There still isn't any way to fill in blank spaces properly, even though Cities XL did it more than half a decade ago. I would love SimCity 4 3D, but I would be fine if they just cut the pretense of making a city sim and focused on the creative aspect of the game so that I don't have to rely on mods that may or may not work at any given time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I have to agree with a lot of the above. This game was my jam for awhile and now and then I come back to it, but it doesn't have enough of a game to entertain me. I love making cool looking cities, but it would be so much more exciting if, for example, to make a super upscale outdoor plaza/mall, it cost a great deal of time and money (and both time and money were meaningful to the simulation). Sure I want a zen garden, but placing a university with huge parks and great public transport, local apartment housing, and elaborate infrastructure is so much more cool to me when it's "earned."

My first game where I didn't dare uproot main/original parts of my city and then started trying to build separate suburbs and areas to try to "spread" my city and relieve issues was much better.

Once I played enough to pull the curtain back and realized how very base and lame the underlying economic situation was and that I could fairly safely just retool entire sections of my town with no consequence (and, usually, actual benefit) I couldn't get the spark again.

Wish I even had a 'silver bullet' idea to fix that but anything I can think of doesn't sound like a good game either. :/

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Making bulldozing existing structures more expensive as in SC4 would add an interesting wrinkle.

Anyway, it's taken us 18 months to get to the the "game is a bit shallow" discussion which isn't too bad going.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I did enjoy some of the subtler gamey elements of the latest SimCity. Things like concert events and even the day/night rush hour cycle gave a good tug of war between city bonsai and problem solving.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I started a new city yesterday, but I noticed a weird traffic thing and I'm trying to figure out if it's intended behavior, or due to an issue with the Workshop map I was using.

Basically, huge numbers of Cim vehicles are coming into my city from the starter highway connection, doing a lap around the roundabout at the entrance, and then immediately getting back on the highway to leave. It's created a massive permanent traffic jam at the main entrance/exit of my small town.

Is this because the map author didn't include some kind of junction on the highway to let cims change directions on the highway, or something? It's super weird, and I don't remember it being an issue last time I played a few months ago.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So cims are entering the city, hitting the first place they can turn around, then leaving?
When you click on them what does it say they're doing, what's their destination?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Baronjutter posted:

So cims are entering the city, hitting the first place they can turn around, then leaving?
When you click on them what does it say they're doing, what's their destination?

I dunno, I'll check later this evening. I just thought of it now, is all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

deadly_pudding posted:

I started a new city yesterday, but I noticed a weird traffic thing and I'm trying to figure out if it's intended behavior, or due to an issue with the Workshop map I was using.

Basically, huge numbers of Cim vehicles are coming into my city from the starter highway connection, doing a lap around the roundabout at the entrance, and then immediately getting back on the highway to leave. It's created a massive permanent traffic jam at the main entrance/exit of my small town.

Is this because the map author didn't include some kind of junction on the highway to let cims change directions on the highway, or something? It's super weird, and I don't remember it being an issue last time I played a few months ago.

Yes, they're most likely using your off-ramp to turn around or get back on the highway because it's the fastest way to get to wherever they're going. It's really dumb but also kinda funny.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My #1 traffic problem is from immigrants when building a new area, but that's a huge stream of traffic coming in and then moving in, not going back out. I've only seen massive amounts of traffic turn around like that when the area they were immigrating too was suddenly demolished.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CJacobs posted:

Yes, they're most likely using your off-ramp to turn around or get back on the highway because it's the fastest way to get to wherever they're going. It's really dumb but also kinda funny.

YYyyyup. I just took a zoomed-out look and the highway out to the archipelago is literally just a straight shot. I'm gonna edit the map and put a junction up in the corner of the map, because *drat*.

Luckily, I kinda want to start the city over, anyway. I made some poor infrastructure decisions in general regarding forward-thinking and walkability and poo poo.

edit: I'm in the map editor and :laffo: it's even worse. There *is* a junction, outside the playable area, that's missing like half its ramps. It's just kind of a messy y-junction where you can only join the same-directional highways.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 29, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Playing a custom map sight unseen is like unprotected sex, only do it with people you trust.

When downloading some strange, always check:
  • waterflow
  • number of highway connections
  • number of train connections
  • number of sea connections if applicable
  • highway and train junctions can get traffic from anywhere to anywhere without your city needing to fix it

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I gave this map the highway junction it deserves.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What's missing?

Separation of residential density and wealth.
SimCity 2000 had it right, SimCity 4 had it right, I don't remember about the rest, but it makes so obvious sense I don't understand why Skylines doesn't do it. It's what makes districts of cities distinct and causes them to have individual challenges.

Industry takes up far too little space.
You can get away with tiny compact areas, which can be fit into any odd corner. Real heavy industry should take gigantic amounts of space, and gigantic amounts of power, and possibly be seasonal.

And I think tourists are still so few they are essentially meaningless.
They don't even live anywhere while visiting, so hotels aren't really a thing. Things could be much cooler if you had gigantic waves of tourists arriving at various times of the year, again causing seasonal spikes in business activity.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 30, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

nielsm posted:

What's missing?

Separation of residential density and wealth.
SimCity 2000 had it right, SimCity 4 had it right, I don't remember about the rest, but it makes so obvious sense I don't understand why Skylines doesn't do it. It's what makes districts of cities distinct and causes them to have individual challenges.

This is true. You could have some really horrifying distopia slums in Simcity 4 when you reached max-density low wealth. I think it's kind of cute that one of Skyline's biggest flaws is that it's too optimistic :3:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Absence of megastructures is a major fault of the game

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Larger buildings would be so great and fun to have. Also large fields for the farms, so we don't get the tons of small orchards and buildings pumping out a tractor a minute.

Ever played Shadowrun Hong Kong? You seriously do not want something like that in your city. :gonk:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I'm surprised there aren't more Arcology mods in the ploppables. There's like 4 in a search for "arcology" on the workshop, and they're all pretty amateurish. Arcologies are like the coolest, dumbest thing that I miss a lot from SC2000 :shobon:

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

I'm trying to get back into this game, clearing out my mods and starting over. Can anyone recommend a couple good collections for more building variety? I'm finding a lot of specific themes, but not much in the way of "fits in with the existing International buildings and isn't poo poo."

While I'm at it, what's the preferred mod for making the pathfinding AI less weird? How much difference would that actually make in how the game looks/plays?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's really no answer to that question, it so depends on the sort of city you want to build, your tastes, your computer, the type of densities you most use and so on.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Argentic posted:

I'm trying to get back into this game, clearing out my mods and starting over. Can anyone recommend a couple good collections for more building variety? I'm finding a lot of specific themes, but not much in the way of "fits in with the existing International buildings and isn't poo poo."

While I'm at it, what's the preferred mod for making the pathfinding AI less weird? How much difference would that actually make in how the game looks/plays?

I grabbed that trailer park set. http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=437051479

It's my go-to for "lovely housing directly adjacent to some chemical plants"

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

There's really no answer to that question, it so depends on the sort of city you want to build, your tastes, your computer, the type of densities you most use and so on.

Yeah, that was pretty vague, sorry about that. I'm mostly looking for growable low-level residential/commercial so I can have more variety in my terrible suburbs, and low-level industrial that looks more like actual industrial areas. I've found a couple collections that match the sort of thing I'm looking for, but it seems like a lot of what's out there is either enormous skyscrapers (which I never actually get to) or very specific building styles. I was hoping there might be a couple "these things fit in with the default International style and don't look like crap" collections out there that other people could recommend.

deadly_pudding posted:

I grabbed that trailer park set. http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=437051479

It's my go-to for "lovely housing directly adjacent to some chemical plants"

Thanks for reminding me! This is one of the things I was meaning to pick up.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Eric the Mauve posted:

3D Simcity 4.

Throw in curved roads and some faux rendering of the neighbouring districts (a la Sims 3 neighbour houses) to replace the blue void and facilitate connections... and this would be the best city sim.

To be honest I'd be fine with the bonsai garden thing if the scale wasn't as limited. I like agents and all, but the sheer scale of cities in SimCity 4 compared to CS is a little disheartening. I ran into game limits before I finished Hamilton (~520k), while meanwhile SimCity 4 could simulate literally the entire Greater Toronto Hamilton Area.

I wish it were possible to bootstrap a 'region system' mod on top of Cities Skylines for this reason.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 1, 2016

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I got fed up with the endless (and unrealistic) traffic routing around the corners of neighbourhoods in SimCity 4 and couldn't go back to it for this reason.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Deadly Hume posted:

I got fed up with the endless (and unrealistic) traffic routing around the corners of neighbourhoods in SimCity 4 and couldn't go back to it for this reason.

I'd always make my maps have water or mountains or big parks in the corners to help avoid the inter-city traffic loops of death. It... sort of helped.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When the gently caress is metro overhaul coming out?? I haven't played this game in months because I'm too excited about that stupid mod.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I finally grabbed Snowfall so I can play with trams. Man, Trams almost feel kinda OP to me. I set up a line that runs up from my initial small-town main street, through the more developed downtown area, to the university, and like frickin everybody uses it. It feels like it's almost as popular as the Metro ends up being. Just giant mobs of cims waiting at every stop. I've got the budget cranked up to maximum to have more trains out at once. Everybody loves the tram.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

deadly_pudding posted:

I finally grabbed Snowfall so I can play with trams. Man, Trams almost feel kinda OP to me. I set up a line that runs up from my initial small-town main street, through the more developed downtown area, to the university, and like frickin everybody uses it. It feels like it's almost as popular as the Metro ends up being. Just giant mobs of cims waiting at every stop. I've got the budget cranked up to maximum to have more trains out at once. Everybody loves the tram.

It's one of the few accurate and realistic things in the game! Would be nice to have more streets with tram right of way though. Why can't we have 2-lane streets trams in place of parking? Or zonable streets that only allow trams, service vehicles, peds, and bikes.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
One thing that I really wish had been included in the base game is something to differentiate between 4 and 6-lane roads that makes it so that the 6-line road isn't strictly the superior option every time.

Like, make the median strip mean something by coding it so that any intersecting 2-lane road (whether 2-way or 1-way) can only offload/accept cars on that side of the median strip and coming/going in that direction, but at the same time it doesn't generate a traffic light and intersections generated by 2-lane roads no longer cause a break in the divider. Give it an intermediate feeder-road function so that it truly sits between a 6-lane and a 2-lane road in terms of real functionality,

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know that I'd call it strictly superior. Its a sidegrade and the easiest way to handle it is to pick one or the other. I usually main the 4 lanes because the decorated ones just look better than the decorated 6 lanes.

If that's a disappointing answer they actually are differentiated by speed limits. So pro mode is using both to manipulate the path finding AI into a strictly designed feeder network. But that's kind of an extra level of hierarchy than what you need for cities the size this game focuses on. The traffic tends to distribute itself across a grid of all 4s or all 6s in a way you'll be good for most cases, but going for the stricter feeder design can maybe buy you a few extra blocks far away from a highway connection.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
they both have different speed limits? i had no idea about this

there was a live stream yesterday about the upcoming dlc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SimJ8qkP-g

i skipped through it and it was as i expected, not very interesting to me at all

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The previous two DLC's had at least a feature here and there I was interested in, like bikes and trams, but this one seems entirely skippable. But i'm sure there will be something like "Oh by the way all the major mods make use of some incredibly minor feature added in the DLC, so if you want to use this improved public transit mod you need bullshit disasters"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Metrication posted:

they both have different speed limits? i had no idea about this

there was a live stream yesterday about the upcoming dlc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SimJ8qkP-g

i skipped through it and it was as i expected, not very interesting to me at all
Its like 5 or 10 speed units or something dumb, its literally only relevant to the pathfinding algorithm because the practical speed on 4 and 6 lanes is more related to stoplight density.