Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

how the gently caress do you reduce your jaw without loving yourself up

don't gently caress with the SKULL, MAN

The jaw is just a skull accessory, like teeth and eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I sell skulls and skull accessories

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
"China has 5000 years of history!"
"OK, show me some of that history."
"We broke it all or burned it. Believe me, though."

Some of of was lost as well.

Most of it is buried in a mountain in Taipei, should have a look there...
I hear some of it is in a museum over there as well.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
so my office is moving buildings. this is an amazing process.

it started last spring, when we were told we would be moving offices. we were told maybe august, maybe september, maybe november. no one seemed to know, other than the fact that we were moving. as the time got closer, we were told "we aren't sure, just wait, we will move soon".

last week, we were told we are moving this week. maybe wednesday, maybe thursday. no one was sure. finally we were told last friday. we will move on wednesday! everyone was happy and excited.

monday came and went. on monday i talked to the HR girl, i asked her if i could look at the new office, to make sure there wasn't any horrific chinglish mistakes like the last two offices we have, that have stuff like "to change the history a person to be then" plastered on the wall. she lived in australia for three years and said "don't worry, i've seen the new office, there's nothing like that, it's ok" and i was like "alright then". tuesday came and went. on tuesday we were told "please pack up your things and be ready at 1pm wednesday, the moving company will come then".

tuesday afternoon was filled with the staff, foreign and chinese, packing up everything we owned. we get to the office on wednesday, its moving day! woo! our electricity is shut off and we get there and everyone is just hanging out. we are moving across the street, to a new building connected to the four seasons. super nice building from the looks of it. we will move at 1pm.

around 12:30, we are told "maybe wait until 1:30 to 2", we said ok. around 1:30pm three chinese guys show up. they are the moving company. we have like 30 people in company and all of us have tons of books and stuff. they look around, smoke a cig, and leave. around 2pm we are waiting for the moving company, i go to the bathroom, i come back and all the foreigners are gone. i figured they went to go get a coffee or something, but they actually went across the street to our new building to move their stuff, even though they weren't supposed to. i get a message at 2:30pm from this guy rich who says "are you sure we are moving to this building? because no one knows who we are, no one seems ready for us and this place looks like a war zone", so i ask our HR girl about it and she says "it isn't ready! you are supposed to wait! we will go at 4pm today with our company boss!" so i tell rich "yo you aren't supposed to go there yet, hang tight, come back". no one comes back, i later learn they all went to a bar to drink. i joined them later, but at this point i was waiting at the office. around 3pm our HR girl says "the moving company has ran away, they will not move us today, you can have tomorrow off, everyone can have tomorrow off", I say "what, the moving company ran away?" and she says "yeah, they said it was too much work". so the moving company that we have contracted to move us, to like, do their job, that their company does, thinks we are too much work. so they won't do it. uh, ok.

around 3:10pm i get this picture from this guy andy, who had gone over to the new office.

this is two hours AFTER we were supposed to move into this building. like...this is the new office people chose to move to on wednesday the 28th at 1pm. and everyone kept looking at it and kept being like "yup, we will move on wednesday at 1pm", even up until like wednesday at noon, people were like "we will be ready to go at wednesday at 1pm", and then after 1pm came, it was "wait an hour, we will be ready at 2pm" but like, who in the world thought this would be ready in an hour?

so they told us to take today off, but come in on friday. and the entire foreign staff said "yeah we will take friday off too, no way that building is ready" and this one chinese girl was like "why would you take it off, we have to work on friday" and one guy said "LOOK AT THIS, do you think it will be ready?" and she said "why not, they said we will work on friday, so we should go there to work"

i'm expecting a message in our work chat group around 4:45pm today that says "no work tomorrow, have a rest". in fact, i expect a bunch of these messages for the next week or two, because this does not look remotely ready to move into. and we can't go back to our old office because everything is packed up and finished.

how hard is moving? shouldn't it be like "here is a new office. its ready. great. pack up your stuff. a moving company moves it to the new office. start work again"

this is like "we want a new office. we will move on this day. pack up your stuff. lets go. poo poo it looks like its half done. wait an hour. wait another hour. poo poo take tomorrow off. in fact take a week off. we may or may not move next week. just hang tight for a minute"

yesterday ended with our staff getting really drunk together and laughing and enjoying our lives because what the hell are we supposed to do

when china rules the world

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i remember reading in like highschool that these are the most painful nerves to damage in the body, i think? awful. i think most of the women look fine with their rectangular heads

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

The Great Autismo! posted:

it started last spring, when we were told we would be moving offices. we were told maybe august, maybe september, maybe november. no one seemed to know, other than the fact that we were moving. as the time got closer, we were told "we aren't sure, just wait, we will move soon".

last week, we were told we are moving this week. maybe wednesday, maybe thursday. no one was sure. finally we were told last friday. we will move on wednesday! everyone was happy and excited.

monday came and went. on monday i talked to the HR girl, i asked her if i could look at the new office, to make sure there wasn't any horrific chinglish mistakes like the last two offices we have, that have stuff like "to change the history a person to be then" plastered on the wall. she lived in australia for three years and said "don't worry, i've seen the new office, there's nothing like that, it's ok" and i was like "alright then". tuesday came and went. on tuesday we were told "please pack up your things and be ready at 1pm wednesday, the moving company will come then".

tuesday afternoon was filled with the staff, foreign and chinese, packing up everything we owned. we get to the office on wednesday, its moving day! woo! our electricity is shut off and we get there and everyone is just hanging out. we are moving across the street, to a new building connected to the four seasons. super nice building from the looks of it. we will move at 1pm.

around 12:30, we are told "maybe wait until 1:30 to 2", we said ok. around 1:30pm three chinese guys show up. they are the moving company. we have like 30 people in company and all of us have tons of books and stuff. they look around, smoke a cig, and leave. around 2pm we are waiting for the moving company, i go to the bathroom, i come back and all the foreigners are gone. i figured they went to go get a coffee or something, but they actually went across the street to our new building to move their stuff, even though they weren't supposed to. i get a message at 2:30pm from this guy rich who says "are you sure we are moving to this building? because no one knows who we are, no one seems ready for us and this place looks like a war zone", so i ask our HR girl about it and she says "it isn't ready! you are supposed to wait! we will go at 4pm today with our company boss!" so i tell rich "yo you aren't supposed to go there yet, hang tight, come back". no one comes back, i later learn they all went to a bar to drink. i joined them later, but at this point i was waiting at the office. around 3pm our HR girl says "the moving company has ran away, they will not move us today, you can have tomorrow off, everyone can have tomorrow off", I say "what, the moving company ran away?" and she says "yeah, they said it was too much work". so the moving company that we have contracted to move us, to like, do their job, that their company does, thinks we are too much work. so they won't do it. uh, ok.

around 3:10pm i get this picture from this guy andy, who had gone over to the new office.

this is two hours AFTER we were supposed to move into this building. like...this is the new office people chose to move to on wednesday the 28th at 1pm. and everyone kept looking at it and kept being like "yup, we will move on wednesday at 1pm", even up until like wednesday at noon, people were like "we will be ready to go at wednesday at 1pm", and then after 1pm came, it was "wait an hour, we will be ready at 2pm" but like, who in the world thought this would be ready in an hour?

so they told us to take today off, but come in on friday. and the entire foreign staff said "yeah we will take friday off too, no way that building is ready" and this one chinese girl was like "why would you take it off, we have to work on friday" and one guy said "LOOK AT THIS, do you think it will be ready?" and she said "why not, they said we will work on friday, so we should go there to work"

i'm expecting a message in our work chat group around 4:45pm today that says "no work tomorrow, have a rest". in fact, i expect a bunch of these messages for the next week or two, because this does not look remotely ready to move into. and we can't go back to our old office because everything is packed up and finished.

how hard is moving? shouldn't it be like "here is a new office. its ready. great. pack up your stuff. a moving company moves it to the new office. start work again"

this is like "we want a new office. we will move on this day. pack up your stuff. lets go. poo poo it looks like its half done. wait an hour. wait another hour. poo poo take tomorrow off. in fact take a week off. we may or may not move next week. just hang tight for a minute"

yesterday ended with our staff getting really drunk together and laughing and enjoying our lives because what the hell are we supposed to do

Holy poo poo

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

So good, thank you for sharing. I love all the lies the HR girl tells because she's in the face saving reality distortion field.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

I expected a "fin" at the end of that clip. I could probably write a high school essay on that short film

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

around 3pm our HR girl says "the moving company has ran away, they will not move us today, you can have tomorrow off, everyone can have tomorrow off", I say "what, the moving company ran away?" and she says "yeah, they said it was too much work".
This is the Chinese Century of making up for our past humiliations. Please be respectful.
That was a good story. Judging by the speed of these kind of workers, I think you'll the next 2-3+ weeks off work. LMAO that that girl thought you'll go in to work tomorrow.

Ceciltron posted:

Hory poo poo

exmachina posted:

I expected a "fin" at the end of that clip. I could probably write a high school essay on that short film
It was from a TV commercial. The guy who played the thief got into some trouble IRL because people posted it online (like here) without the advertisement at the end and they didn't know it was fake.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the worst part is the police station has my passport, my wife's passport, and my son's passport because we are getting our residency permits renewed, so even if we have a few weeks off we can't go back to japan, we are stuck in china! lol! fml!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Knowing the speed at which your average Chinese laborer/construction worker operates, that office is at minimum two weeks away from being a functional Chinar office space. And don't forget, next week is an entire weeklong holiday!

In short, enjoy your unplanned extended vacation. :hfive:

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

the worst part is the police station has my passport, my wife's passport, and my son's passport because we are getting our residency permits renewed, so even if we have a few weeks off we can't go back to japan, we are stuck in china! lol! fml!

Sounds like you're pretty China'd out. Will you be moving to little Japan soon?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
we're out soon, just would be nice if I have a few weeks off to get out for a bit, I know the fam would like it too. Ah well it is what it is

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I sell skulls and skull accessories

This is China thread not Cambodia thread. Then again, Cambodia has always been in the Chinese sphere of influence.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Just 10 more months, just 10 more months...

Anyway have some random images:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Plz sir, take this Trump propaganda back to DnD. This is a non-political thread.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://i.imgur.com/VbJ1V7U.gifv

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grats on having a month off. How high are the chances that there's only electricity in a couple of rooms, windows not closing and toiletts exploding?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

quote:

...she lived in australia for three years and said "don't worry, i've seen the new office, there's nothing like that, it's ok" 

Did she really live in Oz?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

JaucheCharly posted:

Grats on having a month off. How high are the chances that there's only electricity in a couple of rooms, windows not closing and toiletts exploding?
Seriously TGA, you need to give us a follow up horror story when the move actually happens, because it's all but guaranteed both the move and building completion will be a rush job.

Has anyone ever been able to ask the people who do this poo poo "What did you expect would happen?" and get an honest answer regarding their thought process?

I cannot convey how charmed my time in China feels after hearing Chinagoon anecdotes. In 3.5 years I didn't experience even 10% of the horseshit you guys seem to go through every day. And even when China happened, it was at a safe viewing distance. All of your stories make me feel truly blessed/lucky.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tupperwarez posted:

Has anyone ever been able to ask the people who do this poo poo "What did you expect would happen?" and get an honest answer regarding their thought process?

Yeah I can't wrap my head around this one. Can you please buy liven in Australia girl lunch and not let her go until she answers this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is the best story.

Moving to our new office was a mild shitshow but it doesn't compare at all to yours.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jesus Christ. I guess your HR manager was right to say there wasn't anything offensive hanging off the walls.

I'm the singular giant brick just hanging out in the left of the picture.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

You will get one of three responses:
1. Shift the blame to someone else
2. Change the topic
3. Pretend they didn't hear the question no matter how much you repeat/insist

It's like a literal brick wall.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Zzulu posted:

how the gently caress do you reduce your jaw without loving yourself up

one would argue that they are already hosed up for deciding to get the surgery

here, enjoy:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ladron posted:

one would argue that they are already hosed up for deciding to get the surgery

here, enjoy:

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This exact story happened to me in August. The. Exact. Story. At least we were just moving to a new part of the campus. I actually freaked out looking at your picture because it looked exactly like my school 2 days before it started in September. AND THEY ADDED ENGRISH ON THE loving WALLS WHEN THERE WASN'T ANY BEFORE. We begged them. BEGGED THEM. To look at what they were doing before it went up. And they wouldn't let us. And they got rid of the teacher's only bathroom.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Tupperwarez posted:

I cannot convey how charmed my time in China feels after hearing Chinagoon anecdotes. In 3.5 years I didn't experience even 10% of the horseshit you guys seem to go through every day. And even when China happened, it was at a safe viewing distance. All of your stories make me feel truly blessed/lucky.

I really feel the same way, at least for work related stuff. My company has a really heavy emphasis on running things america-style and has a lot of processes in place to prevent a lot of this stuff from happening. The building design, decoration, and landscaping were also originally done by a foreign company so I don't have these cool stories.

Except the time that a giant piece of wall came loose and hit the ground next to the barista in the cafe area

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Reminds me when they were remodeling the library at my uni, well, not "the" library since there were several, but the only library within walking distance of our campus. They started just before the exams in year 1 which already shows some great thinking ahead, and the said it would be open for the new school year. When we graduated a year later we could still hear the echoes of the workers in library spitting up phlegmballs.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Checked your post on the phone and didn't get the fully glory of the pic of the new place. Daaaaaamn, lol. That's about 1-2 weeks with a couple of competent eastern european workers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
At least you can supervise so nothing stupid can be written on the wall.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

JaucheCharly posted:

Checked your post on the phone and didn't get the fully glory of the pic of the new place. Daaaaaamn, lol. That's about 1-2 weeks with a couple of competent eastern european workers.

no you see it's an industrial look

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I can already hear the tablesaw and anglegrinder in the foyer. "Like normal" for the next 2 months.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Why would anyone check near or otherwise accept such anarchy as status quo?

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I'm taking a holiday in China near the end of October, what's good?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Are you going to China?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

japan

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Farmland Park posted:

You will get one of three responses:
1. Shift the blame to someone else
2. Change the topic
3. Pretend they didn't hear the question no matter how much you repeat/insist

It's like a literal brick wall.

I often get the "you're not Chinese so you can't understand" line.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OK, here is my attempt:

The moving company accepted a fixed price for the entire move and gambled on not having to do much work. When they saw how much work it really is and that it would not be profitable, they pissed off.

The landlord of the new building offered someone a kickback to sign the contract and pay the deposit, then he hired the laziest and cheapest construction company around to finish the renovations. Your company can't do anything because they have a contract, payed the deposit and someone needs to keep face. A delay by one or two days is much less shameful than an entire month, so the new offices will always be one or two days away from being finished and you should be ready to move at all times, because it's only a short delay, short delays happen! That's why you had to play pretend-moving.

Who is at fault:

Idiot 1, who hired a moving company and expected them to do the work far below cost(total incompetence)

Idiot 2, who signed the new lease accepting empty promises and kickbacks from the new landlord; (corruption, incompetence and face)

New landlord for not giving a poo poo(greed and short term thinking)

lovely and slow Chinese courts that make moving company contracts or details in a renting agreement unenforceable(China)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Where are you going? Sichuan is the place to be to get fat and late October the weather is decent.

• Locked thread