Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Just found this game at Toys R Us for $7.60 on clearance, so anyone that's getting the itch to play this might want to run on over there and look for it.

Then we can all invade the poo poo out of Help Geop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Oswald the Pardoner from DS1 did not get enough credit for his voicework
Well now this is just a straight fact

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Vengarl is great.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

If you kill all the ghost guys in the Shaded Woods on new game+, then a new one that dual-wields washing poles will show up and aggro you from wherever you are.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Mazed posted:

If you kill all the ghost guys in the Shaded Woods on new game+, then a new one that dual-wields washing poles will show up and aggro you from wherever you are.
From how Scholar has been so far, I've absolutely no idea if this is a joke post or not

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Geop posted:

From how Scholar has been so far, I've absolutely no idea if this is a joke post or not

If its real, I haven't heard anything about it. In fact, killing them later on is substantially easier, so if it did summon anything it would be common knowledge.

There are ways to summon baddies to kill for some good loot, but I don't want to spoil how to do it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

it's probably too late now, but you really don't need to bother breaking pots from afar. rolling is fun!

Also getting cursed doesn't kill you like in DS1, it just adds one level to your hollowing, so not the end of the world.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mazed posted:

The good news is that the washing poles drop if you kill the ghost guy.

The bad news is that they are mimic washing poles and attack you once you equip them.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Geop posted:

Since you probably won't be tackling NG+ and beyond, I hope you take a look at the beginning and get your rear end dragged to Majula at least. The poo poo you'll see in Things Betwixt alone will give you a slight idea what to expect, and it will be worse.

Edit: I've been playing some earlier episodes as background noise as I've done other stuff and noticed something fun you might have missed. It isn't really lore stuff but can be fun and is something most people miss entirely. Back when you met Armorer Dennis and found the bonfire in that area, there is a giant tree near there that is quite unique. It has a chance of giving you a certain consumable item unavailable anywhere else if you examine it and the chance is increased every time you get invaded either by npc or other player until you go and get the item, which is when the drop chance is again reset.

It's really obscure and I don't know why they made that item so hard to get, especially since it's consumable. It's nothing game-breaking, it's not some late-game item, just something that can have some amusing consequences if used with good timing.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 29, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

monster on a stick posted:

The bad news is that they are mimic washing poles and attack you once you equip them.

Ever seen a giant glistening tongue emerge from the tip of a samurai sword like a parasitic egg sac on fast forward?

Vengarl has.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Fister Roboto posted:

Also getting cursed doesn't kill you like in DS1, it just adds one level to your hollowing, so not the end of the world.

That said, the bug-eyed lizards can still kill you with their status effect. It's just not Curse anymore.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

I'm not sure if I more look forward to ds2 or asura updates anymore, 11.5 was metal as hell :black101:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Laughing Curse Jars is a weird enemy.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Curse of the Lion Men!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

This is more important than the update, please watch this instead

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Super fighting robot

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Still watching the video, but I wanted to point out you can make that jump from the bridge into the hole in the wall.

Edit: For the statue by the scorpion, I'll just say they put it there for a very specific reason and leave it at that.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 7, 2016

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Geop posted:

This is more important than the update, please watch this instead

Holy poo poo, I watched the intro to this and instantly remembered it from my childhood.
But I still watched the update first.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Also wtf is this poo poo? Were all childrens cartoons this terrible???

I want a raygun that turns people into lion people.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I love that slow, blank-stare silent nod Light does after seeing the newscaster turned into a lion and Mega Man says what just happened and that he's going to investigate.

"Oh god I'm having a flashback and now this robot person is talking to me. I shouldn't have taken that acid back in '69"

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

treiz01 posted:

Also wtf is this poo poo? Were all childrens cartoons this terrible???

I want a raygun that turns people into lion people.

Fortunately that is the worst episode of that show, and it's considerably worse than the rest of the series. I'd never describe the cartoon as a whole as good per se, but it had good moments. I've got a soft spot for it (and the entire series on DVD) since it introduced me to Mega Man.

Edit: I find it strange there was only one petrified enemy in the original version of this area... but now there are a dozen of the things, after they removed the enemy what would've done it in the first place.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 7, 2016

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Gonna need a lot of branches :popeye:

Are they a finite resource or can you just buy them at some point?

Almost level pegging again now...

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You don't get an unlimited stock anywhere, no, but there should be at least one that responds to trickery.

However, it's easy to find enough to get everything important. I also think you can afford to miss one or two if you want to de-stone absolutely everything everywhere forever.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 7, 2016

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I like that they added fire damage to the black knight weapons. I am less fond of their removing the neat unique moves in favor of Generic Halberd Moveset.

treiz01 posted:

Holy poo poo, I watched the intro to this and instantly remembered it from my childhood.
But I still watched the update first.

I had nearly managed to suppress memories of that theme song. :argh:

KieranWalker posted:

Edit: I find it strange there was only one petrified enemy in the original version of this area... but now there are a dozen of the things, after they removed the enemy what would've done it in the first place.

He proved too efficient and was forced to move on, a victim of his own success.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

scamtank posted:

You don't get an unlimited stock anywhere, no, but there should be at least one that responds to trickery.

However, it's easy to find enough to get everything important. I also think you can afford to miss one or two if you want to de-stone absolutely everything everywhere forever.

You can in fact get an unlimited supply of branches. If you're smart, there's no way to screw yourself out of anything the branches unlock.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Man, I think this area has the most stupid changes yet. Sure, it sucked before, but now it doesn't even make sense.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
If anyone else hasn't bought the game, Scholar of the First Sin is on sale for $10 on Steam today. :retrogames:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

McDragon posted:

Man, I think this area has the most stupid changes yet. Sure, it sucked before, but now it doesn't even make sense.
Well, there's a reason why two of those statues were added. But yeah, I was not overall a huge fan of the SotFSins fondness of statues since they really tend to confuse first time players a lot with how many places they have to keep in mind to return to. Cool for returning players, for new ones not so much. SotFS has quite a bit of that - not being sure who to cater to.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You could just write yourself a note about it. It's not that confusing.

The first time I played through DS2, I kept pretty extensive notes. The notebook looks like the scribblings of a madman.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

The first time I played through DS2, I kept pretty extensive notes. The notebook looks like the scribblings of a madman.

I find that fitting for this game, really.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably a bit late to the party, not watching the thread, but I just wanted to say I lost it at "just like a poooooooooooooood".
Thanks guys, I needed that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Just realised I've never beaten Scholar. Beat the xbox version when it came out, and have the dlc for scholar but definitely don't remember phantoms being in the second part of the shaded woods.

Commentary is really clicking now, loving the lp.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

ilmucche posted:

Just realised I've never beaten Scholar. Beat the xbox version when it came out, and have the dlc for scholar but definitely don't remember phantoms being in the second part of the shaded woods.

Commentary is really clicking now, loving the lp.

Scholar on X360, PS3 and the old PC version (Where scholar was just a free patch) is not the same as Scholar for Xbone, PS4 and PC (DX11)

They had to release a chart before the Scholar version came out so people would know which version actually had what.
It was quite simple though, the last gen versions didn't get enemy placement and additional phantom capacity while the current gen and new PC version did get those.
As far as I remember all versions of the game got everything else.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I also first talked to Shaq through the wall.

I'm going to be honest, I thought it was just a sometimes-there invisible NPC until this LP started, and suddenly you were talking to a cat with the same dialogue as the invisible lady who sells rings. I'm not smart enough to play this game. :negative:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So, the sound they wanted you to listen to at the start, whatever it might be in game, the soundclip has to be from doves. Because that is what they sound like.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, there are still basilisks in this area. That's a bit less silly. Seemed odd that they'd add more petrified people while taking out the thing doing it.

Also I was convinced the ring had to do something cool as well. It took me far too long to make the connection between wearing it and the invisible bear following me about.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Darnit, that's a cliffhanger. I can't wait to see what the scorpion boy has to say and whether it involves biting your head off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aithon posted:

Darnit, that's a cliffhanger. I can't wait to see what the scorpion boy has to say and whether it involves biting your head off.

".......Oh. Hello there. Pardon me, I'm afraid I was lost in thought."

• Locked thread