Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

SEX BURRITO posted:

What the poo poo? I thought the Goodnight Sweetheart revival was bad enough. Wow, they really can't be arsed to think of new ideas.

Are we taking bets on what nostalgic sitcoms they revive next? I'm going to vote for No Feet in the Grave with a young Victor Meldrew.

The weirdest thing about Young Hyacinth is it wasn't just a bad 90s sitcom redone for an audience 20 years later who are missing it, but It was a different type of show, more of a comedy drama like Fresh Meat. Someone looked at Keeping Up Appearances and decided we needed to explore its rich history of its delicately constructed vast world as if it was Game of Thrones.

Also, "One Foot Out The Cradle" "One Foot In The World" and "One Foot Out The Door" are all terrible and likely names for the Meldrew Youth Times.

When he starts out, it's crazy, cuz he DOES believe it. But he moves to the city and his optimism is beaten out of him.

Disgusting Coward posted:

You know who can gently caress off?

Paul Merton.

Sick of seeing him do that stupid loving frown and looking around any time anyone else dares to be funny on HIGNFY.

100%. If you're taking up a weekly spot on a political comedy panel show, maybe it's time to do more than make bad 'light entertainment' style jokes and sit there with an incredulous face. Just sit there mate and let the show make a star out of the next oink like they did Boris.

I think I'd like to see the early episodes now. Was it on when Thatcher was still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Padje posted:

I think I'd like to see the early episodes now. Was it on when Thatcher was still around?

Started about a month before she left office.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

oceanside posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for good 90s or early 00s crime dramas?

Been re-watching the likes of Cracker, Prime Suspect, Murder Investigation Team, The Lakes and of course The Bill.

Any good shows along these lines that I might have overlooked?

Taggart. Actually starts in the 80s but you can begin with the 90s -00s stuff if you want. Easy enough to dip in and out.

Although why have you listed The Bill as good???

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How about Bergerac.

Nettles at his very best, with stunning scenery and fast cars.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

A detective series based in Norwich called Swallow

Swallow is a detective who tackles vandalism. Bit of a maverick, not afraid to break the law if he thinks it's necessary.

He's not a criminal, you know, but he will, perhaps, travel 80mph on the motorway if, for example, he wants to get somewhere quickly.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pissflaps posted:

How about Bergerac.

Nettles at his very best, with stunning scenery and fast cars.

Now there's a blast from the very epitome of childhood boredom.

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
Life on Mars was p good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cerv posted:

Taggart. Actually starts in the 80s but you can begin with the 90s -00s stuff if you want. Easy enough to dip in and out.

Although why have you listed The Bill as good???

The Bill is "good" for the same reason Casualty is "good".

Because everything about it is utterly loving implausible and is worth watching in that basis alone.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bogmonster posted:

Swallow is a detective who tackles vandalism. Bit of a maverick, not afraid to break the law if he thinks it's necessary.

He's not a criminal, you know, but he will, perhaps, travel 80mph on the motorway if, for example, he wants to get somewhere quickly.

The detailed pitch for Swallow in I, Partridge is a highlight for me, especially in the audio book.

I actually was talking about old detective shows with a friend at work yesterday and brought up Jonathan Creek, being younger than myself he hadn't seen it or know much about it, but my describing it as starting with a sealed room murder caused him to recall something he saw as a kid about someone killing themselves and bricking themselves up in a cellar, and it freaking him out. I said that sounded like something from Creek. Later that night he texts me to confirm that 3 episodes into the show on Netflix, it was indeed from Creek. He's digging it, I'm proud. Got him into Alan Partridge too. Going to work on Father Ted next, as I keep taunting him with the "Lovely fags" .gif when he gave up smoking.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Bogmonster posted:

his first case: why are there no black people in norwich?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone mentioned A Touch of Frost yet?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The Bill is "good" for the same reason Casualty is "good".

Because everything about it is utterly loving implausible and is worth watching in that basis alone.

IIRC the Bill used to be quite good when it was short self-contained stories in each episode. Many many years ago.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

ultrabindu posted:

I did like McCallum and Rebus when they were first shown, no idea how well they've aged though.
The Vice was pretty good during it's early episodes but got super stupid towards the end. Messiah is ok if you like Ken Stott hamming it up and chewing the scenery like there's no tomorrow.

Messiah had the most implausible villain reveal I have ever seen. Not quite sure what that means for its place in the canon.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

RedLobster posted:

Life on Mars was p good.

which reminds me I need to re-watch that and Ashes To Ashes, if only to find out if the latter is as loving awful as I remember

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

One day I'm going to get really bored and really annoyed and write a grand effortpost on the transition of Gene Hunt from anti-hero to hero, and all the different cinematographic cues the show gives us for him and how they change over the course of those shows, and how maddening it is that the loving writers gave interviews literally saying how disturbing it was that he became a pin-up boy for the Daily Mail during the first series, and then gleefully aided and abetted that process in later years.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

One day I'm going to get really bored and really annoyed and write a grand effortpost on the transition of Gene Hunt from anti-hero to hero, and all the different cinematographic cues the show gives us for him and how they change over the course of those shows, and how maddening it is that the loving writers gave interviews literally saying how disturbing it was that he became a pin-up boy for the Daily Mail during the first series, and then gleefully aided and abetted that process in later years.
You should do this. I haven't even watched all of Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, but I'd be utterly fascinated by something like this.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I'd read the hell out of that. It always bothered me how he went from someone you were supposed to think was a complete arsehole to them writing him as a character the audience should root for.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, I'd read the hell out of that. It always bothered me how he went from someone you were supposed to think was a complete arsehole to them writing him as a character the audience should root for.

Was it the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 that Gene does a big speech about it being a bad thing, and that all right minded and good people should be against it, causing the poncy minister to disappear in a puff of stuffiness?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Angrymog posted:

IIRC the Bill used to be quite good when it was short self-contained stories in each episode. Many many years ago.

PC Gabriel Kent's arc was something to behold

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Bill was genuinely good before they took it up from 30 minute episodes and started filling it with soap actors and personal life bullshit. Before that it was a solid sensible drama.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
wtf keeping up appearances is great y'all need to shut your pieholes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Every episode was the same thing.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The Bill was genuinely good before they took it up from 30 minute episodes and started filling it with soap actors and personal life bullshit. Before that it was a solid sensible drama.

Yep. That's the era in thinking of.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's the old joke - if you're an English actor, you've probably been on The Bill, but if you're a Scottish actor, you've probably been on Taggart. Of course, David Tennant's meant to have auditioned for Taggart a number of times before he got Casanova and never got a part.

I remember seeing a couple of episodes of Heartbeat. One of them was about a guy in a digger unearthing an unexploded bomb which went off while a soldier was sitting next to it with a stethoscope. The other was this menacing guy in a scarecrow costume wandering around the countryside and the local town not really doing anything in particular. I'm not sure why I remember either of those things because I must have seen them more than 15 years ago.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Don't think anyone has mentioned The Cops yet, it had three series on BBC and was great stuff. Might be hard to track down but worth it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Watching Rachel Riley trash Russell Howard at Street Fighter II was the best retribution for years of Mock The Week that TV could have given me

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's the old joke - if you're an English actor, you've probably been on The Bill, but if you're a Scottish actor, you've probably been on Taggart. Of course, David Tennant's meant to have auditioned for Taggart a number of times before he got Casanova and never got a part.

I remember seeing a couple of episodes of Heartbeat. One of them was about a guy in a digger unearthing an unexploded bomb which went off while a soldier was sitting next to it with a stethoscope. The other was this menacing guy in a scarecrow costume wandering around the countryside and the local town not really doing anything in particular. I'm not sure why I remember either of those things because I must have seen them more than 15 years ago.

I swear the first series of Heartbeat had Nick Berry going into a stripclub and right on the chime of the watershed out came the boobs, and also some guy hanging himself on a tree with fishing wire which, again if I remember right, was pretty gory

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I can't believe they had tits out on Heartbeat, always struck me as very vanilla? Am I hallucinating or did Greengrass get a spin off?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I can't believe they had tits out on Heartbeat, always struck me as very vanilla? Am I hallucinating or did Greengrass get a spin off?

Not very vanilla at the start anyway. I also had to check this to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rarity posted:

Watching Rachel Riley trash Russell Howard at Street Fighter II was the best retribution for years of Mock The Week that TV could have given me

What a woman, goddamn

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

David Tennant did, however, make it onto The Bill. As a featured baddie who IIRC got his own hour-long episode in the days when they did half-hours regularly with the occasional hour-long special, no less, so clearly their casting director knew what was up.

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Was it the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 that Gene does a big speech about it being a bad thing, and that all right minded and good people should be against it, causing the poncy minister to disappear in a puff of stuffiness?

It's better than that, he literally tells Lord Scarman that he, Scarman, is full of poo poo. (The Scarman report did eventually lead to PACE but totally wussed out on calling the Met institutionally racist, presumably after its author was intimidated by Are Hero's bollocking.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

David Tennant did, however, make it onto The Bill. As a featured baddie who IIRC got his own hour-long episode in the days when they did half-hours regularly with the occasional hour-long special, no less, so clearly their casting director knew what was up.

Good grief, the hair.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Bacon Terrorist posted:

It started out as a pretty decent crime drama, it didn`t devolve into the "weren`t the old days great" soap-opera until a couple of seasons in.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Greengrass was in The Royal, the Casualty to Heartbeat's the Bill.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

PC Gabriel Kent's arc was something to behold

Yea that's their jumping the shark moment.

For anyone who doesn't know Gabriel was brought in as a relatively famous soap opera actor, a guy named Todd Carty. In Eastenders and in Grange Hill he'd done some standout 'new drama' storylines. Grange Hill he took a load of drugs and in Eastenders he had AIDS.
When he was in the Bill he started a relationship with a much older actor who played a fan favourite in the show. At some point during this he had a few relationships with other people and became obsessed with one who I can't remember the name of. He tried to kill the person he was obsessed with a few times. I guess this was their way of portraying both stalking and relationships between older women/younger men.

It eventually ended with him revealing he was the older woman's son, the child she had given up for adoption when she was a kid and never ever mentioned at any time during the show. They'd definitely had sex by this point as well. This was sort of out of nowhere although there were a few episodes where they tried to lay the groundwork for Gabriel "ruining her life".

When you consider that the Bill was a villain of the week show up until this point I still can't wrap my head around why it happened. I'll admit I watched it up until the reveal but never touched it after that. It wasn't much longer later that it ended up getting cancelled.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 29, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Robbie Coltrane/Julie Walters thing on Channel 4, National Treasure, is fantastic. Huge recommendation.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

which reminds me I need to re-watch that and Ashes To Ashes, if only to find out if the latter is as loving awful as I remember

I thought Ashes to Ashes was...alright. Worth it for the finale, anyway.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

If you want insane police drama then The Shadow Line is worth a watch.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Taear posted:

When you consider that the Bill was a villain of the week show up until this point I still can't wrap my head around why it happened. I'll admit I watched it up until the reveal but never touched it after that. It wasn't much longer later that it ended up getting cancelled.

Well, you see, if you have a successful formula that has worked for decades, what you really need to keep people interested is to completely throw out everything that made the programme popular for all those decades. If you do that, and instead make it mimic your other lovely soaps then surely it will succeed with the fans who watched it as an alternative to that sort of dross for decades.

Also, scrap the iconic intro music for some wanky cover version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was Gabriel Kent before or after the whole thing where that one guy was sleeping with another guy on his wedding day to a girl who was being stalked by a serial killing journalist? My memories say after, but from what you're saying, it seems like it had to have been before.

Edit: Looking it up for more specificity. The ballad of Craig and Luke. I saw the show when I was quite young, and I think it was my first exposure to how soapy television could get. It's also post-Kent, I think. Jesus it was stupid.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 29, 2016