Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
At this point can we just have Michael Jackson as a Musou character, potentially having The Lean be his ultimate musou attack?

I can see it now, everyone hit by the attack doing the lean and they all fall.

Except Michael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I played the poo poo out of DW4 Empires back on my 360, I think I ended up accidentally gouging it with the console-tilt issue so that was the end of that.

It was the only one I played, and I really liked the Empires feature, so much that when i tried to play DW8 and found out it didn't work like that it kind of killed my interest in the game.

We're like 300 pages in so I want to know, is the information on the OP still up to date? I just got a PS3 on ebay and now I'm wondering about dynasty warriors. Is 7 still the best bet? Empires is like 20+ bucks compared to Xtreme Legends and basic. What does Xtreme Legends have and in general what version should I be going with?

There's too many fuckin games in this series.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Lunethex posted:

At this point can we just have Michael Jackson as a Musou character, potentially having The Lean be his ultimate musou attack?

I can see it now, everyone hit by the attack doing the lean and they all fall.

Except Michael.

I don't think the estate would be too happy. At least right now.

Though I'm suddenly reminded of the Moonwalker arcade game which had Michael dancing be the screenclearer in human form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S6H2iHue4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku8oaK_iEwk

So I do see where you're coming from. Robo-mode would make a good Rage Attack. Though the mechanics of the human mode energy blast would need reworking.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 27, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mister Bup posted:

I played the poo poo out of DW4 Empires back on my 360, I think I ended up accidentally gouging it with the console-tilt issue so that was the end of that.

It was the only one I played, and I really liked the Empires feature, so much that when i tried to play DW8 and found out it didn't work like that it kind of killed my interest in the game.

We're like 300 pages in so I want to know, is the information on the OP still up to date? I just got a PS3 on ebay and now I'm wondering about dynasty warriors. Is 7 still the best bet? Empires is like 20+ bucks compared to Xtreme Legends and basic. What does Xtreme Legends have and in general what version should I be going with?

There's too many fuckin games in this series.

If you're buying an Empires game, which is the one with the map game and custom characters, you should just straight up buy DW8:E on whatever platform you like most.

Xtreme Legends is an expansion pack to the base games on the PS3, and it generally adds another story mode and some hypothetical scenarios, while regular Dynasty Warriors has the main three (or four) kingdoms in linear plot lines. DW7 is probably the best introduction to the mainline series, but DW8:E is probably what you want since you liked the empires mode. If you want to be sure, there's a demo for the PS3/4/V called "Free Alliances Version" that lets you play with being a free officer or co-op buddy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DW8 is probably a poor choice, I've not played it in a while but apparently it isn't as good as 7. It cut out a lot of things you could do. For the Samurai series Empires 4 is really drat great.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

DW8 proper lacks some of the story depth of DW7, but the gameplay is a good refinement, and DW8:E and DW8:XL are probably the best of their type.

SW4:E is a good game too, but the SW:E games are a lot more rigid.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah, I posted that and I couldn't remember if it was story or gameplay stuff that people didn't care for in 8 proper. I think I was thinking about 8: Empires in terms of cut gameplay options.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I still think 7 is a good reentry point but with people dropping PS3s and 8 being on PC, most people are gonna get 8.

Don't jump right back into empires.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
DW8 is fine. Its main issue is that its story is not as strong as 7's is what I usually hear. I've never played 7 so I can't really compare, but I do know I really like DW8's characters and movesets. It was an odd moment when I transitioned to WO3, and it was still using DW7 movesets, so a couple of characters who I really liked in DW8 had lame clone movesets.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The gap in QoL between 7 and 8 is large enough that people should just play 8. Also Empires is a fine point to jump in since it's stand alone and has far more "gently caress around" potential. You don't get a story but you're not missing a ton that you can't just watch on youtube.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

The GIG posted:

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/musou-stars-adds-millennia-kagero-deception-ii

My girl Millenna rolling up to kick some rear end. Also they're saying about 30 characters from 10 franchises.

timenoid alternate skin please

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Can you miss quality of life changes if you don't know they exist yet?

The clone moveset problem only exists in WO3, any character can use any weapon in DW7 with switching and they eventually added enough weapons to give everyone a unique if you wanted to completely ignore the point of weapon switching for some reason.

I also like Conquest Mode a hell of a lot more than Ambition mode and the Xtreme design from 7 a lot more than 8.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

"They won't know any better" Ah, what a wonderful sell on the older, less good game that's locked to last gen consoles.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Here's the actual reason to play 7: If you're on last gen and you want to try DW for funsies then pick it up for like 7 bucks physical from a gamestop if you really are super wary and/or are tight on funds. In just about anyother situation just get 8.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

The GIG posted:

Here's the actual reason to play 7: If you're on last gen and you want to try DW for funsies then pick it up for like 7 bucks physical from a gamestop if you really are super wary and/or are tight on funds. In just about anyother situation just get 8.

Also 8 on last gen has some serious performance issues on certain stages. (I'm looking in your direction battle of Chi Bi)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I can't speak about the PS3 version, but the Vita version is hilariously buggy and if water or fire exists it's slideshow city.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

since it's stand alone and has far more "gently caress around" potential.

I just wish there were more 'event' maps. Messing around with the generic maps is all very well, but I wouldn't mind being able to take my custom characters into things with actual OBJECTIVES and the like.

And maybe do more with strategies in general. Sure, one can make towers, and sometimes summon troops, but I want to deploy things like Juggernauts on the map somehow. Or mage troops, which you see in quests sometimes.

I want to do MORE.

And while I'm on a ranty bent: The AI doesn't....do much. I don't mean the combat AI; I mean on the map. You don't see a faction go runaway. Rarely you see Vagabond Leaders show up, but they often don't amount to much. Being placed as a Prefect in a place where you can't actually do much is painful. They barely build.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 29, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

That's a lot of wrong words to say "can get on your horse faster".

7 has a better story mode, better non-story mode, better xtreme mode.

8 has more weapons/characters, a wider release, and a small amount of additional mechanics.

With worse modes of play, the better gameplay doesn't do enough to make me recommend it for some one who wants to re-enter.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Except the whole "Wider Release" thing makes it perfect for reentry. 7 is a near seven year old game on last gen that is outclassed by every Warriors game after it. Play 8, play SW4, play HW, play One Piece. Don't play 7.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The story mode is still better in 7

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah, I preferred 7 to 8 and it's probably down to the story mode. It's the most coherent and structured of their take on the Three Kingdoms to date. 8 in comparison was a bit of a mess

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
8 is a random mess after 7, especially when it was super obvious they were cribbing from the tv show like the lu bu arrow scene out of nowhere.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

That...was from the books, though. One of Lu Bu's few acts of 'diplomacy'.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's the Three Kingdoms, guys. I personally don't think story should be a big consideration by this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had only the vaguest idea of what the actual RotTK story was until I played 7.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

True. I've only picked up pieces here and there. Never read it. I really should.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So, Dynasty Warriors has it's story loosely based on an old rear end novel that's loosely based on historical events, did I get that right?

Also, hearing you guys talking up the story mode of DW7 makes me consider either trying to dig up the PC version from the ether or try emulating the PSP version.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have a Taiwanese friend who dislikes Dynasty Warriors precisely because of the cavalier way the franchise treats the story and characters from Ro3K.

As in, there's a difference between shutting down your brain to enjoy something and having something actively trying to shut your brain down for you.

I guess he just couldn't handle the Benevolence.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah pretty much.

The story of 7 is actually fairly revisionist, since traditionally Shu are presented as 'the good guys' or at least in a favourable light, whereas that most definitely did not.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 29, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah pretty much.

The story of 7 is actually fairly revisionist, since traditionally Shu are presented as 'the good guys' or at least in a favourable light, whereas that most definitely did not.

I have another friend who also speaks Taiwanese Mandarin and comes from an immigrant family who not only doesn't give a poo poo about how the story gets butchered, he also only really cares just barely enough to correct my pronunciation of names and also to clarify things for me when DW8 jumps ahead or leaves motivations fuzzy (like I got confused as hell about what Guan Yu was doing provoking Wu up near his last stand).

Both of them agree that the modern revisionist view on Shu is probably the more accurate. I think someone else in this thread described the historical Shu Han as being run, basically, by a trumped-up bandit. One who just so happened to have a semi-legitimate claim because he was a distant cousin of the Emperor. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon, but for the Mandate of Heaven, basically.

Also they got me to read Ravages of Time but I lost track a couple years ago because, frankly, that series goes super into detail about historical events and doesn't gloss over poo poo. Which means I have no idea if RoT has even gotten to Red Cliffs yet. However I did enjoy how it provided alternate interpretations of various historical and fictional personages whose reputations were preserved, fairly or otherwise, in fiction and folklore. Also all of the eyebrows. Because there's so many dudes, one of the things the author did to differentiate them all was give a bunch of them extremely distinctive eyebrows.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Why i like the Story Modes of DW games is because of the "butchering". It's a crazy over the top version of the book which is a mystical, magical, and biased version of history.

Scenes like this are why I look forward to every new release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThaReCgQVD0

Also Ravages of Time is awesome for the same reason.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Seriously my favorite part of DW7's story mode is the Jin story where it comes off as even the Narrator is getting sick of Jiang Wei's poo poo.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

NameHurtBrain posted:

Seriously my favorite part of DW7's story mode is the Jin story where it comes off as even the Narrator is getting sick of Jiang Wei's poo poo.

i like the part where jiang wei's whole moveset design/char design is meant to be a amalgamation of the most 'legendary' dudes who came before him
like how he's got parts of zhao yun, guan yu and zhuge liang aesthetically while his moveset has different takes on zhao yun and guan yu's stuff, esp. zhao yun's ex moves
it gives him a real 'successor' tone, even moreso than all the guan yu kids that popped up in 8

also his theme is really cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiRApKdGOOI

i like dw7 jiang wei get at me

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
blaaaargh One Piece is fun but holy poo poo how did nobody think to condense the "splash screens" that happen every. time. you use your True Kizou attack? Like, hey, it's neat that my teammates are jumping in to help me with their big cool ultimates, but by the end of a stage when four or five of them are doing it, every single time? Yeesh.

Also, for how much the game incentivizes finishing off named enemies with said True Kizou attack (bonus coins, some Legend requirements), there are just an unforgivable number of situations where an enemy has completely no-sold the drat thing thanks to recovery animations/invincibility frames. :mad:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tecmo Koei wants to know who you want to see in Musou Stars.

Here, let me help you fill this out!

Bo Jackson: ボー・ジャクソン
Tecmo Bowl: テクモボウル

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Over the chance of BOMB JACK?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Koei_Tecmo_games

Wait, why is La Pucelle and Phantom Brave on that list? There's no chance...right?

On the other hand, there's also Liberty Or Death. Civil War Warriors....

Or L'Empereur. Napoleon as a Warrior.

Though really, what I'd WANT is at least the weapons of Cia, Wizro and Volga to show up, as they are Original Creations.

EDIT: gently caress it, I had to go with my wants. Raoh, Bomb Jack, Prier. Even if there's no hope.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 29, 2016

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I would be surprised if Rygar is not put in. His weapon and attack moveset are pretty much perfect for a Musou game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is it just stuff they developed originally? Could they get someone like Dela from the SNES Brandish in there?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Vakal posted:

I would be surprised if Rygar is not put in. His weapon and attack moveset are pretty much perfect for a Musou game.

Bloodly posted:

Wait, why is La Pucelle and Phantom Brave on that list? There's no chance...right?

Though really, what I'd WANT is at least the weapons of Cia, Wizro and Volga to show up, as they are Original Creations.

La Pucelle was published by Koei in Europe, along with a bunch of other NIS titles for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Bloodly posted:

I remember those games! Now I really want warriors style versions of those old DOS RTS games they did. I mean they wouldn't have to work to hard to exaggerate the characters, Ney was an amazing cavalry commander and incredibly loyal to his Emperor.