Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tias posted:

No kidding. I was harassed at a border bus stop by a German cop for not having my 'federal passport' with me. Then he wanted a 35€ bribe. Good thing he got off when several of the German passengers sided with me and told him to go gently caress himself.

:stonk: did you accidentally step back in time into the DDR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

feedmegin posted:

:stonk: did you accidentally step back in time into the DDR?

Well, when I checked with my embassy it turned out that, in spite of Schengen, I have to have my passport with me when entering( and particularly leaving) Germany. It might even be legal to ask for a processing fee, but since he bitched out after other passengers confronted him, I doubt it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
You need to carry your passport or an official ID card with you when travelling in Schengen area. Driving license is not sufficient, though I assume it would be accepted in most situations, but driving license does not tell citizenship.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 29, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
When was this? Multiple countries have either discussed restarting or just gone and started enforcing border checks on count of the migrant crisis.

Checked http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/reintroduction-border-control/index_en.htm out of curiosity and yep, Denmark has temporarily reintroduced border controls on the German border.

Waci fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 29, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If they ask me for more than an ID, I'll leave while farting in their general direction.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

grover posted:

George Beurling, "The Falcon of Malta", a Canadian Spitfire fighter ace with 32 kills, was trotted around to sell war bonds, but got himself fired from that due to a tendency to get a little too graphic...

George Beurling, in a press interview, posted:

"I came right up underneath his tail. I was going faster than he was; about fifty yards behind. I was tending to overshoot. I weaved off to the right, and he looked out to his left. I weaved to the left and he looked out to his right. So, he still didn't know I was there. About this time I closed up to about thirty yards, and I was on his portside coming in at about a fifteen-degree angle. Well, twenty-five to thirty yards in the air looks as if you're right on top of him because there is no background, no perspective there and it looks pretty close. I could see all the details in his face because he turned and looked at me just as I had a bead on him. One of my can shells caught him in the face and blew his head right off. The body slumped and the slipstream caught the neck, the stub of the neck, and the blood streamed down the side of the cockpit. It was a great sight anyway. The red blood down the white fusilage. I must say it gives you a feeling of satisfaction when you actually blow their brains out."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nenonen posted:

You need to carry your passport or an official ID card with you when travelling in Schengen area. Driving license is not sufficient, though I assume it would be accepted in most situations, but driving license does not tell citizenship.

It was the 'federal passport' bit that was throwing me off a bit since it sounded like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propiska_in_the_Soviet_Union

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Tias posted:

Well, when I checked with my embassy it turned out that, in spite of Schengen, I have to have my passport with me when entering( and particularly leaving) Germany. It might even be legal to ask for a processing fee, but since he bitched out after other passengers confronted him, I doubt it.

It's not a processing fee, its a fine. Which German police likes to collect immediately when they are facing foreigners because by the time that whole thing has gone through the process used for German citizens (involving a letter and a period in which the fine can be challenged in court), the foreigner is probably safe and sound back in his home country and then getting to him becomes that much harder. And by God we're not letting someone who went 132 in a 130 zone on the left lane of the Autobahn get away with it if we can help it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JcDent posted:

gently caress countries that go the federal route. Like, reading abou WWI and sometimes it mentions the German army and army of some region, what the Christ.

Sorry but different plates on the front of pickelhauben from different states are the coolest thing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Not exactly thread related, but does anyone here know enough latin to fix this phrase?
Ave, Fortuna! Alea iaculator te salutant!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

When would the U.S. military actually consider a civil leader a dictator, and would they mind?

There isn't like a specific set of circumstances or anything, but American officers swear to uphold the constitution, not the civilian leadership. If some horrible situation ever came about where a preponderance of senior officers seriously felt like the president was violating the constitution in a hugely serious way they'd be under no obligation to further support said president.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

bewbies posted:

There isn't like a specific set of circumstances or anything, but American officers swear to uphold the constitution, not the civilian leadership. If some horrible situation ever came about where a preponderance of senior officers seriously felt like the president was violating the constitution in a hugely serious way they'd be under no obligation to further support said president.

Also, things like Nixon could happen. The secretary of defense at the time of Watergate removed Nixons access to nuclear codes because of Nixons state of mind at the time, seeing as he was drunk and talking to the portrait of Lincoln.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Also, things like Nixon could happen. The secretary of defense at the time of Watergate removed Nixons access to nuclear codes because of Nixons state of mind at the time, seeing as he was drunk and talking to the portrait of Lincoln.

Both terrifying AND hilarious.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I think they also drew up some crazy contingency plan to send in the Army if Nixon refused to step down and the Marine unit in DC stayed loyal to him.

best timeline

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

JcDent posted:

Not exactly thread related, but does anyone here know enough latin to fix this phrase?

This is the thread you're looking for.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Don't go there! It's a trap!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JcDent posted:

I don't know whether or not I'm fortunate to at least know what this probably says even if it is somehow wrong

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

"A soldier who has been disciplined in the past was appointed as a watchman. Before he took his post, he drank wine, and took his post in an intoxicated state. The controlling patrol took notice of this soldier's behaviour, as he was loudly asking horses for their papers."

Glad to see that HEY GAL's traditions live on.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

EvanSchenck posted:

This is true. The 38- and 44-gun American frigates were rigged alike so they would appear the same at long range, and even after they closed distance they also had 15 gunports to a side. It would be pretty hard to tell that they were just slightly oversized even from very close in, so I think the first indication that you'd bitten off more than you could chew would be when the shooting started and you realized from the range and the sound that they were shooting at you with 24-pounders.

Why does a 38 gun ship only have 30 gun ports? Are they counting the chasers in the 38 number?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

LLSix posted:

Why does a 38 gun ship only have 30 gun ports? Are they counting the chasers in the 38 number?

You put additional guns up on the upper decks.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

"A soldier who has been disciplined in the past was appointed as a watchman. Before he took his post, he drank wine, and took his post in an intoxicated state. The controlling patrol took notice of this soldier's behaviour, as he was loudly asking horses for their papers."

At least with the Schengen Agreement this is history.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LLSix posted:

Also a '38 gun' ship doesn't necessarily have literally 38 guns - it's more of a loose classification, you'd call all your frigates with about that many guns '38 gun' ships. From wiki, Shannon actually had this:

28 × 18-pounder long guns
16 × 32-pounder carronades
2 × 9-pounder dismantling guns
1 × 6-pounder long gun
1 × 12-pounder boat carronade

and Chesapeake had this:

28 × 18-pounder long guns
20 × 32-pounder carronades
1 × 18-pounder chase gun

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

I don't know whether or not I'm fortunate to at least know what this probably says even if it is somehow wrong

"Hail Fortune! Everyone salutes your jizzing prowess?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:laffo:

PAPIEREN, BITTE

*neigh*

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

It clearly says "parole" (password), not "papieren". Isn't the connection with пароль obvious?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nenonen posted:

Don't go there! It's a trap!

First time I ever saw this movie was after a state exam in Latin at a party in a friend's to celebrate the end of those exams. Having gone to an all boys school the girls at the party didn't understand why we found it so incredibly funny. Basically derailed the party while we explained the legend of Mr. Bermingham and his shoulder-poke of death.

The random HP multifunction my parents bought about five years back works fine any time I've tried scanning stuff with it. You get fairly huge images out of them so you can always scale down if you need to.
VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 29, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm looking to buy a new printer. (Stay with me, here.)

I've also been thinking about a scanner for books. Are the standard Multi-function units good enough, or should I be thinking about something else?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

OwlFancier posted:

"Hail Fortune! Everyone salutes your jizzing prowess?"

Oh.

6 years of Latin down the drain :negative:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Kopijeger posted:

It clearly says "parole" (password), not "papieren". Isn't the connection with пароль obvious?

Haha, oops. That's even more hilarious though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Oh.

Relax, he's joking. Iaceo is to throw (hence ejaculate, in a metaphorical sense, but it doesn't mean that in Latin).

Alea iacta est and all that.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Relax, he's joking. Iaceo is to throw (hence ejaculate, in a metaphorical sense, but it doesn't mean that in Latin).

Alea iacta est and all that.

I know. I was taking a "I'VE BEEN WRONG ALL THESE YEARS" sarcastic tone and being a bad poster extraordinaire makes it hard.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ice Fist posted:

I know. I was taking a "I'VE BEEN WRONG ALL THESE YEARS" sarcastic tone and being a bad poster extraordinaire makes it hard.

It's weird to punch yourself and roll with it at the same time

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Are you a puppet master if you're jerking your own strings?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you a puppet master if you're jerking your own strings?

He's jerking something of his own, but I don't think it's strings.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

:yikes:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Megadyptes over in the Rule the Waves thread dug up a copy of the 1903 Jane's All the World's Fighting Ships. Four posts further down is a handwritten note from Fred T. Jane himself. If anyone is good at century-old bad handwriting, I'm sure an extra check on what it says would be appreciated, particularly the very last bit (looks like a place name to me, but I can't place it).

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is really only true when it's been established for about a century and you have a ton of cultural assumptions entrenched about things like the sanctity of the ballot box, orderly regime changes, civil services that exist outside the party structures etc.

Maybe I could post about Italian city state legalistic ratfuckery to try to develop these things. Hrm.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Arquinsiel posted:

First time I ever saw this movie was after a state exam in Latin at a party in a friend's to celebrate the end of those exams. Having gone to an all boys school the girls at the party didn't understand why we found it so incredibly funny. Basically derailed the party while we explained the legend of Mr. Bermingham and his shoulder-poke of death.

The random HP multifunction my parents bought about five years back works fine any time I've tried scanning stuff with it. You get fairly huge images out of them so you can always scale down if you need to.
VVVV

Latin teachers are all like this, it just seems to be a certainty of life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

Oh.

I have absolutely no idea what it says because my latin is terrible, that's just what it looks like.

I refuse to believe that iaculator doesn't mean what it sounds like it means.

What is it supposed to translate as?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Tank chat: Swedish impressions of the Sherman