Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

More to the point, I wouldn't be surprised due to the de-duplication way things work that tv/movie companies regularly harvest files, record the hashes, and routinely send the lists to Amazon/Dropbox or Usenet providers.

So, even naming something that you own the rights to over to cutecats.mkv won't do anything unless you change the hash(like .zip).

It's the only way I'll put any cute cat videos in the cloud for a quick, permanent file share after having one issue with Dropbox. No issues after that.

That said, I don't see Amazon being on board with this using encryption. Remember Bitcasa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

Crossposting from XBMC thread because it's about Plex too.

Anyone using the PlexBMC addon? I tried using this guide http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-and-plex-integration-with-plexbmc-addon/, but when it tried to connect to my server it says unable to connect or something and that the addon has an error and that I should see the log. When it says put in your Plex account and password information, it means my account info that I would use on the plex.tv site? I think I tried with and without to no avail.

I never had much luck getting plexbmc working well and went with PlexKodiConnect instead. The setup is slightly more involved but performance is good and I've had no real issues.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've just retired a box from gaming. It has 12gb of ram in it an AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8 GHz processor. Is this enough to handle transcoding? I already have a VPS handling all my functions so I'm outright fishing for uses for this box at the moment. I'm used to using Kodi so I'm not too far out of my element here.

Is a GPU even relevant for this program?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

YouTuber posted:

I've just retired a box from gaming. It has 12gb of ram in it an AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8 GHz processor. Is this enough to handle transcoding? I already have a VPS handling all my functions so I'm outright fishing for uses for this box at the moment. I'm used to using Kodi so I'm not too far out of my element here.

Is a GPU even relevant for this program?

The Plex transcoder doesn't take advantage of GPUs currently. Looking up the passmark score for an Athlon II X4 630, it's rated at 3167. Generally speaking, it's basically a less-efficient Pentium G3220. So yep, it'll handle roughly 2 to 3 720p/4Mbps simultaneous transcodes no problem. Or a single 1080p/10Mbps transcode with a bit of headroom.

That said, what scenario do you think your Plex server would have to transcode? Are you sharing your server with friends or family outside of your home network, or viewing content on a phone or tablet? I ask because it's possible that your server might not even have the need to transcode any media. Whether or not your Plex server transcodes media is entirely dependent on the client devices accessing it.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
Recently moved into a pre-furnished apartment with a Teco (made in China) TV. Anything I play on my Chromecast through Plex is missing the center channel audio (I think). I can't hear any of the dialogue spoken, just faint background noises. I've tried every option on the TV and in the Plex settings related to audio, but nothing has fixed it. Videostream works fine, as it converts all the files to 2-channel audio. The non-5.1 shows/movies I run through Plex have the same issues, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

If anyone has run into something similar, let me know....otherwise I'm stuck with the perfectly fine but ugly interface of Videostream.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

lokk posted:

Recently moved into a pre-furnished apartment with a Teco (made in China) TV. Anything I play on my Chromecast through Plex is missing the center channel audio (I think). I can't hear any of the dialogue spoken, just faint background noises. I've tried every option on the TV and in the Plex settings related to audio, but nothing has fixed it. Videostream works fine, as it converts all the files to 2-channel audio. The non-5.1 shows/movies I run through Plex have the same issues, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

If anyone has run into something similar, let me know....otherwise I'm stuck with the perfectly fine but ugly interface of Videostream.

Hmm, did you check the 'Device Supports Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus/DTS' boxes under the video settings in the Plex app on your phone?

[edit] Also came across this thread on the Plex forums that is relevant: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/100095/need-plex-to-downmix-5-1-audio-to-2-0-for-chromecast

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 1, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I came across this video in the Plex subreddit of someone streaming a 35GB file from the Amazon based Plex Cloud service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgjELB9fWE

It shows that he's streaming DTS-HD MA audio no problem. I was under the impression that it's not possible to stream DTS audio remotely for some arbitrary reason and assumed that Plex will always transcode DTS audio tracks to AC3 for remote playback. Was I misinformed? Does Plex Cloud work differently?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wasn't that due to some bollocks with KODI?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

The Plex transcoder doesn't take advantage of GPUs currently. Looking up the passmark score for an Athlon II X4 630, it's rated at 3167. Generally speaking, it's basically a less-efficient Pentium G3220. So yep, it'll handle roughly 2 to 3 720p/4Mbps simultaneous transcodes no problem. Or a single 1080p/10Mbps transcode with a bit of headroom.

That said, what scenario do you think your Plex server would have to transcode? Are you sharing your server with friends or family outside of your home network, or viewing content on a phone or tablet? I ask because it's possible that your server might not even have the need to transcode any media. Whether or not your Plex server transcodes media is entirely dependent on the client devices accessing it.

As it stands right now I have no need for transcoding. I have a box I'm trying to find uses for. I suppose I could watch my stories during downtime at work.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

YouTuber posted:

As it stands right now I have no need for transcoding. I have a box I'm trying to find uses for. I suppose I could watch my stories during downtime at work.

Then you're good! That box is more than capable of being a decent Plex server. In the event your server needs to transcode content, it'll do just fine is most common usage scenarios.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

teagone posted:

I came across this video in the Plex subreddit of someone streaming a 35GB file from the Amazon based Plex Cloud service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgjELB9fWE

It shows that he's streaming DTS-HD MA audio no problem. I was under the impression that it's not possible to stream DTS audio remotely for some arbitrary reason and assumed that Plex will always transcode DTS audio tracks to AC3 for remote playback. Was I misinformed? Does Plex Cloud work differently?

For anyone that cares, I got a really good answer from a Plex Dev as to why whenever a friend of family member streams something my server that has a DTS audio track, it gets transcoded to AC3:

quote:

DTS passthrough is possible if the transcode is using the MKV format, instead of HLS. It's possible the remote playback is using HLS because it's a bit more resilient to failures. The default is MKV, but the channel will fallback to HLS. Also note the channel will switch to using HLS for good if enough MKV failures have happened and switching to HLS was successful. This can be toggles in the "video" settings section of the Plex app on the Roku.

Here are the possible reasons for converting DTS to 5.1 AC3:

1. Transcoding using HLS (as mentioned above)
2. Audio track selected could not be forced by the language. This can happen if there are multiple tracks in the same language. Again, this would only affect HLS transcodes.
3. The source has more than 6 channels. Normally the DTS core could be used, but the Roku will ignore the audio if it's copied.

I'm like 99% sure my server is transcoding using HLS whenever something is remotely streamed.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zogo posted:

I think there are programs to convert .rear end to .srt

I've never seen .rear end before though.

.rear end and .srt are just text files. Rename them and you're done. If I remember correctly, the difference is in subtitle styling which Plex ignores anyway.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Muxing them into the MKV usually works best if the files you have don't have them done that way already.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Well poo poo, the latest preview release of Plex Media Server finally gives you bandwidth limiting options. This is a feature I've been waiting like 2 1/2 years for, haha. https://www.plex.tv/blog/mcstreamy-brain-take-world-two-easy-steps/ I had to download the installer manually from plex.tv since the auto-updater wasn't picking it up on in the web app.

[edit] Personally running into some weird issues with this preview release. Going to roll back to the public release for now. I can wait a bit longer.

[edit 1] Nevermind, after rolling back I can't access server settings anymore, haha. It gives me the 404 error. :sigh:

[edit 2] After tinkering around more in the preview release, it seems the issue I was coming across was that limiting the remote playback bitrate quality (3Mbps) and inputting my internet upload speed (10Mbps) also affects the playback on the Chromecasts in my home. On my local network. :wtc: So for instance, when I cast something to my Chromecast from Plex that has ~15Mbps bitrate with an AC3 audio track, it should be able to Direct Play the file no problem. But with the new bandwidth/transcode limiters in place, it adjusts the quality based on the numbers inputted and the video gets transcoded to fit the 10Mbps upload. Lmao. That's stupid. I guess the limiters can't differentiate a Chromecast from a remote playback device? Ugh.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 4, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone had issues with Plex deciding it can't see SRT subtitle files? Stuff that was definitely working before now isn't. I wasn't on the latest PMS version so I updated it, but no difference.

Everything is labelled correctly, and on a scan it did seem to pick at least my test case up but soon dropped it. Saw someone else online with that same thing happening, and a discussion about the file format the file is in, but it seems a bit strange that none of them are working anymore.

I'm probably just going to add them into the file using mkvtoolnix as I've tested it and that's fine, but it's a bit of a hassle.

This is from a week ago, but if it helps you going forward or anyone else, [en] seems to work 100% of the time when placed immediately before the period & extension. If it's still buggy, turn off local media assets (settings > server> agents) and fiddle the schedule to make plex run all it's scheduled tasks. Then re-enable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll give that a whirl, I've found one show where srt works fine so it's just being weird. Might be down to the encoding as those files are UTF8 BOM while the others I tested weren't.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Preliminary reviews have reported that the Roku Express is slow and its performance is about on par with a 1st generation Roku Stick, i.e., menu lag/stutter is prevalent throughout the UI and icons take a while to populate, especially with long lists of items. Removing that from suggested devices since dropping $20 more for the current generation Roku Stick (3600R) is a much better purchase.

Also, I found out you can bypass the 4.2 H264 level limitation on Chromecasts by changing a line of code in the Chromecast.xml profile located in Program Files\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles. The default line of code you need to change is <UpperBound name="video.level" value="42" />. I changed the 42 to 51 and now my Plex server doesn't transcode any content that was encoded in an H264 level above 4.2, which is nice. I didn't even realize that limitation was added in.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 9, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ugh that's not the news I was hoping for. What a loving waste of time.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Upgraded server to 1.1.4.2757 from 1.0.0.something, now everything's either showing up as remote or indirect - even on local LAN!

Currently fixed it by turning off secure connections.

teagone posted:

[edit 2] After tinkering around more in the preview release, it seems the issue I was coming across was that limiting the remote playback bitrate quality (3Mbps) and inputting my internet upload speed (10Mbps) also affects the playback on the Chromecasts in my home. On my local network. :wtc: So for instance, when I cast something to my Chromecast from Plex that has ~15Mbps bitrate with an AC3 audio track, it should be able to Direct Play the file no problem. But with the new bandwidth/transcode limiters in place, it adjusts the quality based on the numbers inputted and the video gets transcoded to fit the 10Mbps upload. Lmao. That's stupid. I guess the limiters can't differentiate a Chromecast from a remote playback device? Ugh.
Maybe actually the same issue I'm having manifesting?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

lurksion posted:

Upgraded server to 1.1.4.2757 from 1.0.0.something, now everything's either showing up as remote or indirect - even on local LAN!

Currently fixed it by turning off secure connections.
Maybe actually the same issue I'm having manifesting?

My weird Chromecast issues are currently in the preview release 1.2.2.2857 and I still haven't responded to the dev that asked me for debug logs because I'm too lazy to do that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

re: insecure issues
Log out of everything, including the server, and re-log in.

It's been a bit of a bug following updates for a few versions.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Downgraded to 1.1.3 and it turns out that no one's noticed that local clients were showing up as "remote" since we've changed routers. Fixed that up (required allowing dns rebinding for certain urls) and everything's fine on 1.1.3 now (local showing as nearby).

1.1.4 still giving me problems with "remote" over local. I can give the relog a try sometime when I feel like dealing with this again.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Is it a limitation of everyone's chrome casts or just mine where sound drops out for a few second every 10 mins or so. It's multiple casting devices from laptop to phone. I want to launch the bloody thing.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just paid for a month of Plex Pass to see if I like it. I previously had just paid for the android app indivdually.

Kind of annoyed that I had to log in to the android app with my Plex account to access my library. It feels like now that I've paid I get reduced functionality. I'm worried that when my Internet access goes out I'll be cut off from accessing my poo poo. Good thing I'm trying it out for a month before going for the lifetime, I guess.

Also, wondering if anyone has come across a "ghost" library before? I made a library and then deleted it while it was doing the initial scan. Now it's not on the side, but shows up in the dropdown list here:

I can get in to edit the settings, but I can't change any settings or delete it.

Server's on Ubuntu. Oh, I guess it's out of date at Version 1.0.3.2461. I should try updating. Already tried rescanning library/emptying trash/etc.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 10, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So at some point unbeknownst to me my Plex can no longer support remote access. Router is setup correctly, nothing has changed, but suddenly it's being a dickhead and refusing to connect at all.

Is this a known bug? Rebooting the Plex server did nothing, redoing all the settings also did nothing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fuzz posted:

So at some point unbeknownst to me my Plex can no longer support remote access. Router is setup correctly, nothing has changed, but suddenly it's being a dickhead and refusing to connect at all.

Is this a known bug? Rebooting the Plex server did nothing, redoing all the settings also did nothing.

Have you tried changing the public port to see if that fixes the issue? Try something other than 32400 for your outbound port. Unless you already have manually specified your public port... in that case I'd suggest trying the catch the attention of a dev on the official forums to help you out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

odiv posted:

Also, wondering if anyone has come across a "ghost" library before? I made a library and then deleted it while it was doing the initial scan. Now it's not on the side, but shows up in the dropdown list here:

I can get in to edit the settings, but I can't change any settings or delete it.

Server's on Ubuntu. Oh, I guess it's out of date at Version 1.0.3.2461. I should try updating. Already tried rescanning library/emptying trash/etc.

If updating doesn't fix the issue, try creating the library again add some media to it. Once Plex scans and scrapes the appropriate info for the library content, try deleting the library then. See if that gets rid of it from the drop down listing.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Checked today and it was gone with no further action on my part. I did try remaking the library, but I ended up with a duplicate listing. Thanks for the advice, but I guess it fixed itself.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Last couple of days Plex has broken; sound randomly drops out or it just complains that it's unable to cast. Wonder if an update broke it.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 16, 2016

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

iajanus posted:

Last couple of days Plex has broken; sound randomly drops out or it just complains that it's unable to cast. Wonder if an update broke it.

On my QNAP, version 1.1.4.2757, the latest stable version, is stable.

I do once in a while need to restart it for those exact reasons, but it's basically always been like that: Run fine without incident for a month and then suddenly, in the middle of a movie night, it needs a restart.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Check when your scheduler is running. There's a new advanced media analysis mode that's been baked in for a couple of versions and it accesses your media in the background a lot during the scheduled window. I had one title fail to play and tracked the file-reads and concluded it was the scheduler task interfering.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ok, updated the server as it was a few versions out of date (thanks auto update). The schedule is set for 2-5am so I assume it's not interfering. Will see how it goes for a bit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Noticed an unexpected behavior this morning that Plex DVR users should be aware of. I set it to record The Simpsons last night, using the same rules I use for most primetime scripted shows - keep all episodes, but delete watched ones after a day. I don't really feel the need to keep a running archive of most shows and I only have so much hard drive space.

Well this morning I looked in my Recycle Bin and found my DVD rips of the first ten seasons of The Simpsons sitting in there. Plex DVR will, apparently, delete episodes it didn't record of shows it's set to record. So if you're like me and you have some "keeper" episodes/seasons of long running shows, be careful when telling it to delete new recordings automatically when you're done watching them.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

Same thing happened to me and I still haven't fixed it. Was working fine, ran an update, and now it doesn't work.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

swampface posted:

Same thing happened to me and I still haven't fixed it. Was working fine, ran an update, and now it doesn't work.

Assuming you haven't specified the public port, just try ticking the box and inputting the default port number (32400). If that doesn't work, try a different port number. If that still doesn't work, see if anything in this troubleshooting article might help: http://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-myPlex-Server-connections

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't for the life of my get Plex to recognize the MP4 of the Transformers Cartoon i downloaded from a purchase on Vimeo; any tips to getting it to recognize it?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

TheScott2K posted:

Noticed an unexpected behavior this morning that Plex DVR users should be aware of. I set it to record The Simpsons last night, using the same rules I use for most primetime scripted shows - keep all episodes, but delete watched ones after a day. I don't really feel the need to keep a running archive of most shows and I only have so much hard drive space.

Well this morning I looked in my Recycle Bin and found my DVD rips of the first ten seasons of The Simpsons sitting in there. Plex DVR will, apparently, delete episodes it didn't record of shows it's set to record. So if you're like me and you have some "keeper" episodes/seasons of long running shows, be careful when telling it to delete new recordings automatically when you're done watching them.

Where are the settings to delete episodes after watching? I've found where I can turn on the ability to manually delete episodes, but haven't seen an option to do it automatically.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Inspector 34 posted:

Where are the settings to delete episodes after watching? I've found where I can turn on the ability to manually delete episodes, but haven't seen an option to do it automatically.

It's under Advanced when you set a DVR recording. I don't think there's any such option outside of the DVR recording scheduler.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Dang that means I'll have to redo all my recordings for a third time!

Also, seems like Plex can only record one thing at a time despite my having 3 tuners, so I'll have to make sure recording priority is set correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

I can't for the life of my get Plex to recognize the MP4 of the Transformers Cartoon i downloaded from a purchase on Vimeo; any tips to getting it to recognize it?

Is the cartoon listed in themoviedb or thetvdb sites? If the metadata for it isn't there, Plex won't scrape anything to match it.