Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

atomic gog posted:

Why would wenger take the england job??

Typical English delusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Insurrectionist posted:

E: Wrong thread but most modern attempts by managers to coach both club and NT seem to end in various degrees of tepid failure is my impression

Slutsky

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

How dare you

E: misread sorry

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Insurrectionist posted:

E: Wrong thread but most modern attempts by managers to coach England's NT end in various degrees of tepid failure

ftfy

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

https://twitter.com/Hughes_Mark/status/781227634478944256

Cellino is no surprise.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Cellino corrupt in shock news, the fact these "journalists" have jobs blows my mind

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

jimmy :(

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
#Justice4Jimmy

It's not right

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

TelekineticBear! posted:

Cellino corrupt in shock news, the fact these "journalists" have jobs blows my mind

They probably won't in 6 months time, the telegraph has been slashing it's sports budget massively and the only reason these guys were spared in the last round of cuts was that they were already working on this big story.

The future for sports journalism is reworded copy from marketing departments and ghostwritten expert opinions. There's no money in serious investigative sports journalism now.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

They probably won't in 6 months time, the telegraph has been slashing it's sports budget massively

good they're a terrible newspaper

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/28/exclusive-the-corruption-at-the-top-of-the-championship/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

article up now

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

It's pretty damning to those involved. Can't see Jimmy or Tommy Wright keeping their jobs for much longer.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

gently caress sake

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Wright and Jimmy are proper hosed.

Looks to be 2 more tomorrow and 2 more on Friday.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I'm not really getting what Jimmy was supposed to have done.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I don't know, doesn't it seem a little ridiculous that these managers are under such intense fire when third party ownership is legal in a bunch of leagues, and I thought even allowed in Ligue 1, Serie A (did they just get rid of it actually?), and Primeira.

The whole bribes thing is just business, I don't know how they intend to remove a perennial and unavoidable practice that's been done since the dawn of time.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Sandwolf posted:

I don't know, doesn't it seem a little ridiculous that these managers are under such intense fire when third party ownership is legal in a bunch of leagues, and I thought even allowed in Ligue 1, Serie A (did they just get rid of it actually?), and Primeira.

The other odd part of it is that they're talking about circumventing the rules. There isn't actually anything wrong with telling people how to avoid breaking rules; it's just unseemly.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

blue footed boobie posted:

I'm not really getting what Jimmy was supposed to have done.

yeah 50 grand to go speak in the far east and he'll sign player if theyre good?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Skinty McEdger posted:

They probably won't in 6 months time, the telegraph has been slashing it's sports budget massively and the only reason these guys were spared in the last round of cuts was that they were already working on this big story.

The future for sports journalism is reworded copy from marketing departments and ghostwritten expert opinions. There's no money in serious investigative sports journalism now.

Covering that very fact in college.

It's crazy, especially when you consider poo poo like this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Good. Sports journalism isn't even real journalism

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vegetable posted:

Good. Sports journalism isn't even real journalism

gently caress you

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

yeah 50 grand to go speak in the far east and he'll sign player if theyre good?

The article presents it weirdly but reading it back yeah, all he says is 'yes I'd like money in return for a speech' and 'yes please bring me good players.' Which aren't as controversial as the Telegraph is trying to make out.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Soulex posted:

gently caress you

He's right, and I AM a sports journalist

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skinty McEdger posted:

We'll be really sorry when all the transfer rumours are generated by an algorithm and not a depressed 30 something man who thought he'd amount to so much more in life.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
What would Metro "writer" and TRP Patron Saint be considered...?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

serious gaylord posted:

We'll be really sorry when all the transfer rumours are generated by an algorithm and not a depressed 30 something man who thought he'd amount to so much more in life.

Surely most of the Twitter handles that do transfers are bots by now

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Corrode posted:

The article presents it weirdly but reading it back yeah, all he says is 'yes I'd like money in return for a speech' and 'yes please bring me good players.' Which aren't as controversial as the Telegraph is trying to make out.

55K wasn't for the speech and I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't know that. It's more "hey would you like some money for a speaking gig? All expenses paid! Oh and completely unrelated we have some players you might be interested in buying or maybe recommend to someone? I would like to stress that these two things are totally not related. Not at all."

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
JFH is agreeing to work with the agency in some unspecified capacity, in exchange for then agreeing to look at signing players where they get a cut of the transfer fee.

It's a clear conflict of interest and it's probably illegal under the bribery act too. They look at the substance of what's going on, not whatever paper thin window dressing is put around it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Io_ posted:

55K wasn't for the speech and I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't know that. It's more "hey would you like some money for a speaking gig? All expenses paid! Oh and completely unrelated we have some players you might be interested in buying or maybe recommend to someone? I would like to stress that these two things are totally not related. Not at all."

It's shady as hell but it's all very loose and he's not committing to anything but a speech. It won't stick.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37508193

Burnley sacked Tommy Wright (assistant manager) because of all this

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

It's shady as hell but it's all very loose and he's not committing to anything but a speech. It won't stick.

QPR have announced they're doing an investigation but in the same press release back the boss and aren't suspending him. It's the most lip service thing they can do. Even Leeds who aren't going to do anything against the chairman tried to sound a little bit impartial when they did their press release.

I did laugh when I saw part of Jimmy's defense was that while sure he was going to take their money he never had any intention of signing a player from them.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

vyelkin posted:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37508193

Burnley sacked Tommy Wright (assistant manager) because of all this

Bit presumptuous of Burnley to be sacking Barnsley's staff

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

If it doesn't stick, they must acquit (IMO).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

https://twitter.com/Hughes_Mark/status/781587903050809344

Bit surprised at this, Southampton are generally a well-run club.

edit:

https://twitter.com/Hughes_Mark/status/781592100748062722

Yeah, he's done.

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 29, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who ever knew assistant managers were dirty too

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
The guy at the Telegraph's name is actually Mark Hughes then? It's not a confusing joke?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Hoops posted:

The guy at the Telegraph's name is actually Mark Hughes then? It's not a confusing joke?

I think his name is also Mark Hughes, op.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What's his name?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
It doesn't matter what his name is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EvilHawk posted:

https://twitter.com/Hughes_Mark/status/781587903050809344

Bit surprised at this, Southampton are generally a well-run club.

Yeah, he's done.

I love it, op. We've finally made it to the big bung league