Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:eyepop: So, Riga's municipal policy is running a program where you can report crimes with a mobile app, attaching pictures and stuff, and follow through on their proceedings. Say, you see, someone parked over two spots for disabled, or on the lawn, you snap - send it - and get told if the violator with fined or something.

Turns out our brave municipal police of Riga really hates working, fining people in particular, so they have been mad about this unknown "law maniac" for a while, which turns out to be a young father who just cares about walkways and parks being safe and clean from cars and such.

Long story short, apparently the municipal police has begun to attach his full name to each fine they place, on a separate slip of paper. In the latest turn of events, this dude was visited by an angry person to "discuss" the report of their violation. This person did get, in a sealed police envelope with crime protocol, a note to go and seek out "the snitch" for retribution.

It is pretty hosed up and entirely unsurprising, as are many things in this country, but the way I understood it, there is only one known instance of a note with the whistle-blower's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tonton Macoute posted:

It is pretty hosed up and entirely unsurprising, as are many things in this country, but the way I understood it, there is only one known instance of a note with the whistle-blower's name.
I imagine that given the ingrained "snitches get stitches" mentality majority of us did acquire growing up, there can't be all that many dutiful citizens actively reporting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also if the police are actually on-board and the whole plan is organized it sounds like a great idea. I'd spend all day snitching on assholes running red lights or parking in handicap spots. Of course the downside would be people obsessively taking picture of that neighbour they hate and using it as a form of harassment. Would be nice if there was an easy way to filter out the useful public safety and assholes needing a fine situations from the vindictive petty bullshit.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

seriously though how do your police not like easy money

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Forums Terrorist posted:

Handing out minor fines probably has a way lower return on time investment than collecting big ticket bribes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

Poor work ethics are one of the corner stones of our culture, unfortunately.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:eyepop: So, Riga's municipal policy is running a program where you can report crimes with a mobile app, attaching pictures and stuff, and follow through on their proceedings. Say, you see, someone parked over two spots for disabled, or on the lawn, you snap - send it - and get told if the violator with fined or something.

Turns out our brave municipal police of Riga really hates working, fining people in particular, so they have been mad about this unknown "law maniac" for a while, which turns out to be a young father who just cares about walkways and parks being safe and clean from cars and such.

Long story short, apparently the municipal police has begun to attach his full name to each fine they place, on a separate slip of paper. In the latest turn of events, this dude was visited by an angry person to "discuss" the report of their violation. This person did get, in a sealed police envelope with crime protocol, a note to go and seek out "the snitch" for retribution.

Did it really happen, or is it just a rumor spread to discourage snitching and make that mobile app a failure?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

Did it really happen, or is it just a rumor spread to discourage snitching and make that mobile app a failure?

I saw the tweet with a picture of the parking ticket and the accompanying note. "You were reported by a guy named X. Look him up, say thanks" or something to that effect. The guy who tweeted it seemed legit. And legit concerned about his safety, although the enclosed parking ticket, with the licence plate of the offending vehicle being clearly visible, suggested that there hadn't been actual violence.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I imagine that given the ingrained "snitches get stitches" mentality majority of us did acquire growing up, there can't be all that many dutiful citizens actively reporting.

Best way to disperse a crowd of rubberneckers? Bring out a notepad and loudly ask for witnesses.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

Forums Terrorist posted:

are you kidding, american cops love fining people (because they get the money)

we used to have that, it was called bribes, then we decided it was neither good, nor cool

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Official state news are reporting State Police investigation on the matter.

Edit: To clarify, they are investigating how this happened, not if.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 28, 2016

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

I bet other SA mods are looking at this picture jealously and imagining themselves too in the center of media attention.

"Did you probate FlowingShit in PYF?"
"Yes, I can confirm that he was probated for six hours for not posting a picture in a picture thread."

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

Bit of a crazy day so far, I turned up at the press conference and I'm almost immediately mobbed journalists
https://twitter.com/hugoreitsma/status/781073824821411840

Nice work, BM. Just don't get yourself killed in mysterious circumstances or something like that. :ohdear:

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think the downside of this is so many people violate minor laws regularly it could definitely get out of hand.

I'm sure I commit at least $1,000 US of cumulative traffic violations each week, and probably most people do too. Imagine an rear end in a top hat following me making sure I get hit with every one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Runaktla posted:

I think the downside of this is so many people violate minor laws regularly it could definitely get out of hand.

I'm sure I commit at least $1,000 US of cumulative traffic violations each week, and probably most people do too. Imagine an rear end in a top hat following me making sure I get hit with every one.

I and other motorists have been driving down a road at 40-50mph that has signs marked for 35mph. I never noticed them at first, but once I did, they're everywhere down that road. I've had people tailgate me when I noticed the signs and corrected my driving. I'd imagine if the police set up radar-triggered cameras, they'd make a loving mint there.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Brown Moses posted:

Bit of a crazy day so far, I turned up at the press conference and I'm almost immediately mobbed journalists
https://twitter.com/hugoreitsma/status/781073824821411840

As for the press conference, it was entirely inline with what we have been publishing on Bellingcat, the launch site was exactly the same, and they said it came from Russia. What made me really pay attention is they showed a video of the Buk in Donetsk, which turned out to be where Paris Match got their Donetsk Buk photos from, so it was eye-opening to see that. We suspected it did come from a video, but it was good to confirm. They also showed a second photo of the launch smoke, which allowed the exact position to be triangulated in the field we had previously ID'd as the launch site. They also had various audio recordings of intercepted calls, one of which was a call between separatists on the day Almaz Antey announced their alternative launch site. The rebels basically say, "but wait, didn't WE control that site?", so it's a bit comic.

We're getting a lot of press attention, pretty much nonstop emails, so hopefully you should see me or one of the Bellingcat team somewhere. I did three different interviews with NOS, the Dutch national broadcaster, immediately after the press conference.

Also today the Washington Post published a piece about how we were targeted by Russia for our work
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...id=ss_tw-bottom

And Threat Connect details how hackers linked to DC Leaks targeted us:
https://www.threatconnect.com/blog/russia-hacks-bellingcat-mh17-investigation/

Donald Trump done called you a liar today, Mr. Moderator.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/14/politics/donald-trump-mh17-plane-russians/index.html

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do none of Trum's hyper nationalist supporters care that he's bought and paid for by Russia? Then again they probably look at Putin's Russia with jealousy and wish american could have a strong leader like that.
Didn't the right wing of the US coast along on anti-russian paranoia for a good 50 years, and now they're ok with a potential president with extremely deep and potentially controlling connections with Russia?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it was anti communist paranoia. the politically useful target of such endeavors is usually your countrymen.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I normally refrain from posting in D&D, but this is a special occasion

az posted:

Good work BM, I mean it.

*gets ready to hear a knock on the door*

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 29, 2016

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia is getting that too, and seems like it's not anonymous either, thankfully.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

it was anti communist paranoia. the politically useful target of such endeavors is usually your countrymen.

This above all else.

Russia today is a corporatist oligarchy headed up by a militaristic strong man, it's basically Reaganomics on steroids.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Baronjutter posted:

Do none of Trum's hyper nationalist supporters care that he's bought and paid for by Russia? Then again they probably look at Putin's Russia with jealousy and wish american could have a strong leader like that.
Didn't the right wing of the US coast along on anti-russian paranoia for a good 50 years, and now they're ok with a potential president with extremely deep and potentially controlling connections with Russia?

By keeping Assad on life support not to mention unloading all off Russias surplus bombs onto Syria, means Putin have had a huge impact on the number of refugees.

The responce from Europes brown stained boxers like Jobbik, AFD and Front National is "Putin Dreamy" as they prepare to shaft their countries with lovely prospects by aiming for the demise of EU.

Nationalists only coherent creed is to their own ego, consequence, principles and standards doesn't really exist.

Here is a pejorative for these times that should come in handy, Quislings.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Shame that Trump's sympathy for Russia got into the spotlight after republican primaries, otherwise Ted Cruz or another poo poo could've used the Eid celebration pictures from Moscow to short-circuit his base:

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

Eh, If they're from the region they could drink Cruz under the table.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

I normally refrain from posting in D&D, but this is a special occasion

*gets ready to hear a knock on the door*

Are you still living in Russia? Just going on SA seems dangerous.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

As I'm not already dying of exhaustion, I'm doing another event tonight on MH17, which will be livestreamed. It'll include the MH17 lawyer Jerry Skinner who has taken Russian to the ECHR, so he should have an interesting reaction to yesterday's news

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/781466686390169600

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

If USA breaks up will get a new bout of Russian style foreign policy ranting and raving about spheres of influence, and cool cyborgs.

No I have no idea what the background for the Russo-American alliance is, but I'm sure more thought went into this fictional setting then the pizza cutter over there.

(don't judge me, some anime is actually...good)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Brown Moses posted:

As I'm not already dying of exhaustion, I'm doing another event tonight on MH17, which will be livestreamed. It'll include the MH17 lawyer Jerry Skinner who has taken Russian to the ECHR, so he should have an interesting reaction to yesterday's news

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/781466686390169600

BM, who do you want to play you in the movie?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

54.4 crowns posted:

Eh, If they're from the region they could drink Cruz under the table.

Well, Muhammed only forbid wine, and without Muslims there would be no vodka...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nenonen posted:

without Muslims there would be no vodka...

Sounds interesting, please elaborate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cat Mattress posted:

Sounds interesting, please elaborate.

It's a bit of a stretch, but anyway Arab alchemists like Jabir ibn Hayyan were crucial in the development of distillation, which is where word alcohol also comes from (al-kuhl). Eventually Christians figured out the most practical implementation to this technology.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Tonton Macoute posted:

Best way to disperse a crowd of rubberneckers? Bring out a notepad and loudly ask for witnesses.
The Ostap Bender approach

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Why bother speculating, you know its gonna be Josh Gad.

I loving hate Josh Gad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Some people seem to be really upset with Bellingcat.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
Lol@ people arguing Snizhde was somehow government controlled territory

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jygallax posted:

Lol@ people arguing Snizhde was somehow government controlled territory
Thankfully at the time we had at least 4 different groups making periodic maps of the conflict so this should be very easy to dismiss.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Did the two correspondents in Moscow and Kiev have to found the most open and echoey rooms they could find?

Interesting talk, otherwise.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

My 2 year old seems to think Seth Rogan looks like me, or Mr.Tumble.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Go with Mr. Tumble. Highest credibility of the names mentioned so far.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Clearly the natural choice is Elliot Higgins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

Clearly the natural choice is Elliot Higgins.

I don't know, I've read online that he's not a credible crisis actor.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 30, 2016