Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

anthonypants posted:

Zero certifications? Not even DevOps League?

I think I have a "Certified Xylan Routing Engineer" certification around somewhere from 1998 or so. Other than that, I've never taken any time to get certs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Turambar posted:

Isn't a curtain salesman a Windows professional?

:vince:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

larchesdanrew posted:

A new job responsibility almost came in.

A stomach virus is going around and students are puking and making GBS threads all over the restrooms. Since we have no janitorial staff, we can't expect students to clean bodily fluids as part of their work service.

The director called me into his office.

:v: We've decided that you and the facilities coordinator will be trained in bodily fluid cleanup so you can clean up any messes.

I just looked him in the eye for a solid 20 seconds, and laughed as I walked out the door.

gently caress that poo poo.
How does a school not have janitorial staff?!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

beepsandboops posted:

Where he's at I'm surprised they don't make the local prison population clean up the poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

beepsandboops posted:

They're waiting to see who flunks classes that semester and can offer first dibs on the job to.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

feedmegin posted:

20 years, 0 certs, 1 degree (in History) :colbert:

:(:hf::(

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

A new job responsibility almost came in.

A stomach virus is going around and students are puking and making GBS threads all over the restrooms. Since we have no janitorial staff, we can't expect students to clean bodily fluids as part of their work service.

The director called me into his office.

:v: We've decided that you and the facilities coordinator will be trained in bodily fluid cleanup so you can clean up any messes.

I just looked him in the eye for a solid 20 seconds, and laughed as I walked out the door.

gently caress that poo poo.

Literal IT Janitor.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

beepsandboops posted:

I worked at a charter school until about a week ago that had one part-time janitor for 250 students. He didn't even come in every day. It's surprisingly common and works about as well as you think.

I don't work there anymore because they cut my hours down to 15, then asked me to work them on-demand for cutthroat rates, then replaced me with an incompetent 18 year old from the local college when I refused. Now management has been silent but the teachers are begging me to come back, but I :yotj:'d into Wawa's management structure so that ship has sailed.

Sad to be out of IT for now but glad to be out of the Orlando contract market.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

beepsandboops posted:

The students are responsible for cleaning as part of their work study. We contract with a janitorial company to come do the more intensive cleaning once a week.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is this a charter school by any chance? Sounds like a money saving tactic to me.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
No, but they do live on campus. It's not for saving money. We pay the company that cleans once a week as much as we'd pay someone to work full time. It's about teaching them to respect their surroundings, fulfill their obligations, and develop good habits. These halls are downright spotless, and I've seen kids jump all over someone for littering or leaving a chair pulled out when they leave. They take it seriously.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Migishu posted:

Is this a charter school by any chance? Sounds like a money saving tactic to me.

He lives in bumfuck Mississippi, it's not like the school has any real budget most likely.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

No, but they do live on campus. It's not for saving money. We pay the company that cleans once a week as much as we'd pay someone to work full time. It's about teaching them to respect their surroundings, fulfill their obligations, and develop good habits. These halls are downright spotless, and I've seen kids jump all over someone for littering or leaving a chair pulled out when they leave. They take it seriously.

No argument here. Japanese schools do it so I don't see why schools here shouldn't either if they have the opportunity.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Turambar posted:

I'm a little late to this, but holy poo poo.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Migishu posted:

No argument here. Japanese schools do it so I don't see why schools here shouldn't either if they have the opportunity.

I talk poo poo about the management of this place a lot, but there's a reason this was one of the top ten high schools in the country when they ranked those things. The academic and student life side of things are incomparable and extremely progressive, not even just for Mississippi. It's just the current regime is a bit of a mess at the moment.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

larchesdanrew posted:

I talk poo poo about the management of this place a lot, but there's a reason this was one of the top ten high schools in the country when they ranked those things. The academic and student life side of things are incomparable and extremely progressive, not even just for Mississippi. It's just the current regime is a bit of a mess at the moment.

Hopefully they won't slip and fall off the list because of this particular incident.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

pr0digal posted:

Hopefully they won't slip and fall off the list because of this particular incident.

yo is that a poop joke son

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Certs helped me get into good IT jobs immediately, but having a degree and social skills definitely helped.

Certs imo are good professional milestones and give me something to focus improving on. I've met plenty of people with no certs who have great technical minds, and even more with lots of dumped certs who couldn't do basic cli configuration.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Turambar posted:

goddamn son.

I'm really torn between this being promoted vs the current thread title staying because they're both so good. I mean, so bad, but so good.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

I talk poo poo about the management of this place a lot

About time they came to you to talk poo poo.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm imagining Jill freaking out about a gum wrapper somebody dropped on the ground while 10 feet away little Bobby is making GBS threads all over the floor.

Nearby, a teacher watches on, pulls a pork chop out of her purse, and begins eating.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Internet Explorer posted:

I assume in that case those machines aren't on a domain? So I imagine a lot of SaaS, or do you use something like Citrix?

Most self-provided machines were running a Home version of Windows, so no domain, yeah. What I ended up doing was installing the openvpn client and a vnc server (which I made sure to show them didn't run by default, they'd have to turn it on if they wanted to invite me to remote in, no I'm not watching you do whatever you do when you take the laptop home at night). Then a desktop shortcut to a file share on the main server, for which they'd use their active directory login. Once they'd done that, they could fire up the actual program we used for the business, which could be configured to point to the central database via that file share. This was a seriously ghetto setup, but it was all I could do.

Oh, but before doing that, I'd usually have to run combofix on them to get rid of enough malware for them to be actually usable... :suicide:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sounds really, really loving awful. I am hating my job these days, but reading this thread (and the other 3 like it) really help with that!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MisterZimbu posted:

I'm imagining Jill freaking out about a gum wrapper somebody dropped on the ground while 10 feet away little Bobby is making GBS threads all over the floor.

Nearby, a teacher watches on, pulls a pork chop out of her purse, and begins eating.

But that is none of your concern

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So recently we implemented smart card login. It has not gone well. We were hoping things had stabilized itself today until outlook started prompting for the smart card pin and promptly blocked out the user's card.

:suicide:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

MisterZimbu posted:

I forgot about the pork chop :stonk:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

quote:

Oh, but before doing that, I'd usually have to run combofix on them to get rid of enough malware for them to be actually usable... :suicide:

We have a policy where is IT says a laptop cannot be trusted due to malware / virus even Bing suspected, a bit torrent client is enough, it is a no go. Laptop can be banned at any time and only removed by IT formatting clearing it on their own time at their own price. Have fun buying a new laptop to go another round.

But we laptops are only given VPN access for someone trying to work overtime. They can come in for that if they really want to. We have no remote users that aren't in IT, and if you are in IT setting up a VPN client is child's play.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

klosterdev posted:

Exactly what it sounds like. Computers remain useful for a lot longer than they used to be, and most people just use them for basic web browsing and word processing, which depending on the type of usage can be practical as far back as late-model Core 2 Duos. (aka old people on a fixed income who just want to check their email)

Side note: Windows 8 + XP depreciation was fantastic for business because it resulted in a parade of old people demanding an OS with an interface that was similar to XP that didn't confuse them.

I am currently running pretty happily on an upgraded (PSU, RAM, HDDs, and GPU) Core 2 Quad as we speak. I am not old, but I am a poor.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Samizdata posted:

I am currently running pretty happily on an upgraded (PSU, RAM, HDDs, and GPU) Core 2 Quad as we speak. I am not old, but I am a poor.

What GPU? Core2Quad was a bottleneck years ago.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PBS posted:

2Gb EVGA GTX 760. Ended up getting it for free.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

PBS posted:

Bottleneck for what exactly? The only thing I wanted to do with mine, and haven't been able to, is let Plex transcode on the fly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sheep posted:

OSHA would like a word.

Well, that's why the training. OSHA has to be fine with someone cleaning that sort of thing up, it's not like it can just sit there forever.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I meant that if these threads are anything to go by, the training is likely to be "here's the mop and the bucket, gloves are over there."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Please do not mix up the wash bucket with the speculum bucket.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Sheep posted:

I meant that if these threads are anything to go by, the training is likely to be "here's the mop and the bucket, gloves are over there."

look at mr. excess over here with his fancy gloves

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

look at mr. excess over here with his fancy gloves

:barf:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mop and bucket, but you gotta bring your own water.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

Mop and bucket, but you gotta bring your own water.

and mop handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

So what happened eventually, Larches?

Did all that stuff get cleaned up? If so, who did it?

Any repercussions of you saying you would not do it?

• Locked thread